Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's an ally's magic rating?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Clyde
I've got a player who conjured an ally spirit as part of an initiation. MitS says that allies are subject to drain as normal (page 109). It's careful to spell out that it has a sorcery rating equal to its creators and a spell pool equal to force, but nowhere does it say magic rating?

Is it equal to the casters? Allies take their caster's mental attributes, but Magic isn't a mental attribute . . .

Is it equal to force?

Is it 1? The point paid in by the creator??

Any thoughts? What do you use in your game?
mfb
i'd assume it's equal to Force. it doesn't say anything about it in the rules for the Sorcery power.
Cain
Go with Force. It's consistant with most other rulings.
vagranttimelord
My suggestion is to read through the Spirit section in Mits and not the Ally section, I'm almost positive that this is covered there. But from memory... I think it's the ally's force.
mfb
the Sorery power doesn't say anything about an effective Magic rating. it says that the spirit has a starting Sorcery skill equal to SE (that's different for ally spirits), and that they can't cast any spell at a force higher than their Force.
Clyde
Vaggranttimelord, free spirits that use sorcery aren't subject to drain which I imagine is why they are limited to their force for spellcasting. Allies get a sorcery equal to their creator's rather than spirit energy, and know one of their creator's spells as well.

I think I'm going to go with Force for this one. Since magic rating starts out equal to essence for characters and essence is equal to force for most spirits . . .
Crimsondude 2.0
The Magical Skills (viz., Sorcery or Conjuring) critter power states that a creature's Magic Attribute is equal to Essence. Critters, 12. The critter rules generally apply to spirits, which reinforces the presumption of Magic Attribute=Essence=Force.
mfb
oh. yeah. heh, forgot about that. i knew there was a reason for thinking force = magic.
Crimsondude 2.0
Well, aside from simple logic.
vagranttimelord
Clyde, I did actually know that they didn't take drain, but thank you for stating it for everyone else seeing as I forgot. spin.gif
Clyde
No problem, VT. I just wanted to be clear on why I wasn't basing my analysis on the free spirit sorcery powers . . .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012