Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seattle Blackouts
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Coil
Apologies first of all as I am absolutely certain this is in a book somewhere but I can't find it at all and am at work away from my books, and none of the timelines I've found on the net have it mentioned. I swear I remember reading about a complete Seattle blackout due to something related to Deus. Can anyone tell me what date this occured on (if it did occur that is) and for how long the blackout lasted? I'm planning on doing something tonight involving a little anarchy with my group bwha.
Coil
Ok, found. Thanks all.
Sandoval Smith
The events are detailed in the Brainscan module. The run is done in one evening, and the next, the lights go out in Seattle. Power is restored after 48 hours, although brownouts persist for the next few weeks. As I recall, they don't give much in the way of dates (so that it's not so hard to insert into various campaigns), although one group fanfic project I saw had things happening in August.

*edit*
You got some actual times? Out of curiosity, what were they?
Coil
Yes, now that I have my copy of Brainscan here I've only noticed one little hint at a particular time in the Aftershock section which is, "No one would believe it was all caused by two quick runs on a warm summer evening." The blackout occurs in 2061.
Paul
I'm hijacking your thread.

Any electricians out there? What would it take to black a large city out? How much actual physical plant damage would need to occur?
Kagetenshi
All you need to do is sever the links or shut down the plants. It depends on the physical layout and the number of ways to get power there.

~J
Club
Decker M (Whoever that is) Has a collection of stories about what could happen during that event

http://members.tripod.com/~deckerM/shadowr...un/lo_main.html

And IIRC simething like that happened like that a couple years ago. Some idiot in the Northeast US put the juice in the wrong way from a power plant, and it blacked out a couple states and part of Ontario.

Also, there were a couple congressmen, or senators, or something saying that it was probably Canada. (Just like "The terrorists must have come over the Canadian border" a while earlier) Blame Canada.
Fix-it
Nearly impossible matrix-wise. (at least for us mortals)

less so physically.
Starfurie
QUOTE (Paul)
I'm hijacking your thread.

Any electricians out there? What would it take to black a large city out? How much actual physical plant damage would need to occur?

Take a look at the two big black outs of NYC in '63 and '77 plus the Northeast blackout in '03.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012