Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Job -- ShadowFaq
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
ShadowFaq
Hi Guys,

I'd like to talk about my job for a moment, so that when you send questions to info (at) ShadowrunRPG.com you can better understand what I send back.

First off, my job is to take a load off of Rob. (Rob Boyle is the Line Developer for all of the English-language Shadowrun.) Rob can do a higher quality job answering your questions, but he doesn't have time to keep up with the demand. Getting answers from me quickly, even if they are only 96.8% accurate, is a service to the Shadowrun community. I have answered 265 E-mails, most with multiple questions, in 4 months on the job. I have a backlog of 8 questions since I took the job which I haven't had time to research, mostly Rigger and Decker questions (especially Otaku). mfb has the most in my backlog, at two. He's a smart guy and doesn't ask easy questions.

My job is not to change the rules. I have no official capacity to change rules. I do not edit the FAQ, I do not edit the Errata. I can make suggestions, particularly when a GM or player points out an error to me. For example, super-sonic transports in Rigger 3 don't have the fuel capacity and fuel efficiency to go from Seattle to Tokyo. But Rigger3, page 10, indicates they do it in 4 hours. (Thanks Janne.) After researching that the fuel capacity and seating capacity of the HSCT match the Concorde, I suggested increasing the fuel efficiency listed in the book to allow not only Seattle-Tokyo but also New York-Rome. I don't know if or when this will make it into the book, errata, or FAQ.

My job is not to comment on House Rules. I don’t have time for it.

My job is not to debate rules. I don’t have time for it. Instead I simply present my understanding and leave it at that. Often I take the time to explain where my understanding comes from, but not always.

My job is not to make up rules. Often there is no published answer to a question. I often respond by saying “I don’t know any official answer for this, so it’s up to the GM in your game. Here are two possibilities for how to play it, and here’s what we do in my campaign...”

Rob has asked me to give answers my best shot even if it might contradict something he may have said in the past. I should only go to him for help when the rule in question is a significant one for the game and I feel my understanding is lacking. For example, I went to him in December with several Invisibility questions because I felt it was a significant area. I used his response to form answers to Fortune’s questions yesterday.

Rob doesn't forward all 'info' questions to me. He takes some himself.

With permission from Adam, a Dumpshock administrator, I violate the rule against using multiple identities on Dumpshock. I use ‘ShadowFaq’ only in my official capacity. I use my other identity for playing in “Welcome to the Shadows”, for when I want to debate a rule, and sometimes just to hang out.

I rarely log on to Dumpshock as 'ShadowFaq', so personal messages here won't be seen for days or weeks.

You'll get the quickest answers if you send only one or two questions per message. If you send several and one is difficult, the whole reply has to wait till I can get to the difficult one.

Sincerely,
-- ShadowFaq
Post #6

[Edit]Please only comment on my job here. Leave rule questions out of this thread. Thank you.[/Edit]
Fortune
Interesting. I was under the misconception that you did indeed compile the FAQ, or since you just took on the role, that was going to be your responsibility when updates do eventually happen. Thanks for the info.

I don't really have a problem with the job you are doing. You usually explain your answers, and your responses come back in a reasonably timely manner.

Do you keep a running total of questions answered, or did you have to go back and count? biggrin.gif
mfb
huzzah! everyone who calls me stupid, from now on, is using a house rule!
Kremlin KOA
cool noted, though it does make me wonder two things.;
1: how much you get paid... I'd like a similar job for a game company nyahnyah.gif
2: the resisted darkvision thing what do I see if someone resists it? Because if rob gave help with those ones I was vurious whether you got an insight into that
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (mfb)
everyone who calls me stupid, from now on, is using a house rule!

rotfl.gif
Jrayjoker
Kremlin, are you sure you read the post? No questions, please. wink.gif

Also, I don't think it is quite proper to ask someone how much they make.

Sorry if I sound like Emily Post (look it up if you aren't sure)but there are limits and social norms that should be upheld. They are the things we do because we aren't animals.

On a side note, ShadowFAQ, how much do you make? JK grinbig.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (mfb)

Definitely sig-worthy ... especially since you seem to be lacking one at the moment. biggrin.gif
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
They are the things we do because we aren't animals.

We aren't?
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (mfb @ Jan 10 2005, 02:15 AM)

Definitely sig-worthy ... especially since you seem to be lacking one at the moment. biggrin.gif

Speaking of sigs, yours is pure poetry, Fortune. I love it. cool.gif
Jrayjoker
CJ, let me rephrase that:

Women have dragged man out of the cave, bathed him, and slapped clean clothes on him, made him stop scratching his ass when it itched, stopped him from punching his buddies as hard as he can then getting drunk with them, made him learn how to speak, then speak politely, then send flowers, and finally learn how to appologize. In effect we have been trained not to act like the animals we truly are.The biggest accomplishment is that we were so thouroughly and well trained while all the time thinking we wanted and needed it in the first place.

(Soon to be out in paperback, my thesis on why women are in fact the rulers of the universe)
Crimson Jack
rotfl.gif

I thought we were... at least that's what Jimminy Cricket sings.

'You are a human animal.'
Jrayjoker
2 million years of evolution. Bam! Right back down on the knuckles, looking at the pretties..

Oog, oog.

please note my .sig, we gotta take care of each other grinbig.gif .
bitrunner
i'm fairly confident that ShadowFAQ gets paid about double of what I make as Campaign Director for SR Missions...
Zolhex
QUOTE (bitrunner)
i'm fairly confident that ShadowFAQ gets paid about double of what I make as Campaign Director for SR Missions...

You get paid wobble.gif spin.gif twirl.gif grinbig.gif
fistandantilus4.0
So if i have a question like ... say... What's Ryumyo's Dragon title/name (as in Hestaby/Orangequeen), who do I direct that to? Or do you only answer rules questions?
Kagetenshi
Ah, so we can't blame you for the FAQ. Carry on, then smile.gif

~J
Gilthanis
QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
CJ, let me rephrase that:

Women have dragged man out of the cave, bathed him, and slapped clean clothes on him, made him stop scratching his ass when it itched, stopped him from punching his buddies as hard as he can then getting drunk with them, made him learn how to speak, then speak politely, then send flowers, and finally learn how to appologize. In effect we have been trained not to act like the animals we truly are.The biggest accomplishment is that we were so thouroughly and well trained while all the time thinking we wanted and needed it in the first place.

(Soon to be out in paperback, my thesis on why women are in fact the rulers of the universe)

We learned to appologize???? When did this happen?!!!
toturi
Since the Big D bit the big one and became the Holy Lethe?

Anyway, it is nice to see that someone is answering the phone and the mail so to speak.
Walknuki
I sent in a question last March and it was answered later that year in September. I dunno if I ever sent one off but I ment to send a Thank You letter for getting back to me. I had figured that my question was lost in the sands of time forever but you guys worked through the backlog and got to me.

If I never sent the letter then here's a good a place as any.

Thank you. smile.gif
kevyn668
QUOTE (ShadowFaq)
[snip]...For example, I went to him in December with several Invisibility questions because I felt it was a significant area...[/snip]

I think it would so cool to a have a job where I get to ask my boss about "invisibility questions."

(I'm not trying to be rude. I really think it would be cool.)
ShadowFaq
QUOTE (Kremlin KOA)
how much do you get paid...
There is no pay for my job, other than the satisfaction of helping out.
QUOTE (Fortune)
Do you keep a running total of questions answered, or did you have to go back and count?
I don't have a running total. I keep one folder with all the questions, and another with all my answers. Sometimes I can reuse an answer.
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
So if i have a question like ... say... What's Ryumyo's Dragon title/name (as in Hestaby/Orangequeen), who do I direct that to? Or do you only answer rules questions?
Direct it to Ancient History, of course! You can often get quicker answers and a wider variety of options by posting rule and setting questions on these forums. I am not as good at handling setting questions as I am with rule questions.
QUOTE (Walknuki)
Thank you.
Walknuki, you're welcome!
Post #7
Critias
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (mfb @ Jan 10 2005, 02:15 AM)

Christ, don't encourage him.
Garland
QUOTE (Gilthanis)
We learned to appologize???? When did this happen?!!!

Dang, get with the program! I apologize all the time; you'd be surprised what you can get away with if you can show a little contrition.
Canid13
Definately need to echo the 'massive thanks dude!' sentiment. Prompt answers and reclarifications on the responces, and they made sense and sat well with my group. Thanks for the assist.

Though I'll admit, I was assuming that you'd be looking after the FAQ - cos a couple of the questions I've asked would probably make good FAQ entries :o)
ShadowFaq
Perhaps someday I'll handle the FAQ, but it's not part of my job right now. I do make suggestions for it, and some of my suggestions have been included in the upcoming FAQ and Errata updates.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Garland)
I apologize all the time; you'd be surprised what you can get away with if you can show a little contrition.

Speaking of sigs, Garland, you just found yours.
Canid13
QUOTE (ShadowFaq)
Perhaps someday I'll handle the FAQ, but it's not part of my job right now. I do make suggestions for it, and some of my suggestions have been included in the upcoming FAQ and Errata updates.

Don't mean to sound negative or insulting or anything but, there's gonna be updates again?? Cool! :o)
Garland
Sadly, quoting myself would be too tacky even for me.
Adam
QUOTE (Canid13)
Don't mean to sound negative or insulting or anything but, there's gonna be updates again?? Cool! :o)

Yeah - along with getting the Quick Start Rules and some Loose Alliances info up, version 2 of the FAQ is on my plate for this week.
Fortune
Yayyy! More things to argue over. wink.gif biggrin.gif
Ancient History
QUOTE (ShadowFaq)
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
Direct it to Ancient History, of course! You can often get quicker answers and a wider variety of options by posting rule and setting questions on these forums. I am not as good at handling setting questions as I am with rule questions.

I'm touched. nyahnyah.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jan 11 2005, 09:41 AM)
I'm touched.

We know, but we're polite enough not to mention it. wink.gif
Canid13
QUOTE (Adam)
QUOTE (Canid13 @ Jan 10 2005, 12:15 PM)

Yeah - along with getting the Quick Start Rules and some Loose Alliances info up, version 2 of the FAQ is on my plate for this week.

Schweet!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012