Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Astral quests and other rules questions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Traks
Last session left me with many questions to ponder about.

1. If people gather around one day and say "We wanna do astral quest NOW", what will they have to overcome to enter? There are some words about question they have to answer and stuff. What question/task do you, people, assign to players?

2. If players just wander around Astral, what difficulty should I give to quest?
Party with shaman, adept, gunbunny and mage.

3. If there is manastorm/vortex, and player receives 6L damage in few turns, if he can regenerate, does this damage fades away too? What about casting stun damage, does regeneration help?

4. How long it takes for manastorms to disappear? Hours? Months? Centuries?

5. Can mage bond allied spirit to his body, getting spirit powers (immunity to weapons and other small stuff)?

P.S. I now know why I chose those Shadowrun books. I have been programmed every time I come to this site - all 3 books are up there as topics when I enter smile.gif

DocMortand
1 and 2. In MitS it says that if there is no question, the difficulty of the quest is 1D6. (MitS, pg. 92) So you can make up whatever sorta wacked out thing, and when they reach the end have the guide say "And why did you do this, exactly? A search with no goal has no purpose" and give 'em karma for actions only. REALLY wrack 'em over the coals if they get the Charisma challenge. *laugh*

The rest I'm not sure on, but I think manastorms can last a while if powerful enough. Isn't there a perpetual 'storm in Australia? And there may be a way to bond a spirit to you so you can get powers...but most of them include the spirit taking over you. Like shedim. :grin:
RedmondLarry
1 and 2. I don't know any way for non-initiate-magicians to simply decide they're going on an astral quest. Do they, perhaps, have a friendly spirit with Astral Gate?

5. No, a mage can not bond an ally spirit to his body. An ally spirit can have inhabiting power (MITS.108), but when inhabiting he is NOT using his Materialization power. Since Materialization is what gives the immunity to normal weapons, such a spirit doesn't get this immunity. Also, inhabiting can not be used to possess people, just a dumb mundane animal or a homunculus (MITS.108).

p.s. For a random Astral Quest, I would role-play it. For example, to the meta-plane of Forgotten Realms. With a 1D6 quest 'rating' they can get some pretty interesting challenges. Or they can show up on a metaplane where someone has 'summoned' a group of 'spirits' and the team is what showed up. The summoner has achieved one service and the team must complete that service before they can go home.
Lycanthropic Dreaming

1. If people gather around one day and say "We wanna do astral quest NOW", what will they have to overcome to enter? There are some words about question they have to answer and stuff. What question/task do you, people, assign to players? 

Only initiated magicians that can astrally project can get to the meta-planes as a rule. As the other guys have said, you need a free spirit with the Astral Portal power to get other character types into the meta-planes. The mechanics for quests are pretty involved. It's probably easier to point you to MITS than try describing it here.

2. If players just wander around Astral, what difficulty should I give to quest?
Party with shaman, adept, gunbunny

Either pick a rating yourself, or role 1D6, and that becomes your rating. Note that all but your most accomplished magicians will probably end up flat-lined on a rating at or above above 4. Once a quest begins, the only way out is to successfully complete the quest, or die trying. Even magicians don't quest just on a lark.

3. If there is manastorm/vortex, and player receives 6L damage in few turns, if he can regenerate, does this damage fades away too? What about casting stun damage, does regeneration help?

I'd say yes. Regeneration works against all damage, magic or mundane. Regeneration does not help stun damage.

4. How long it takes for manastorms to disappear? Hours? Months? Centuries?

Hours (think storms like rain storms). If you want longer, you're probably looking at a warp, power site or something like that. However, you are the GM, and there's already been a precedent set with the permanent manastorm stationed over Sydney, Australia.

5. Can mage bond allied spirit to his body, getting spirit powers (immunity to weapons and other small stuff)?

No. However.... there is a metamagic called Channelling you might be interested in. It grants the magician access to the powers of the spirit for the time that the spirit is consumed by their aura. Great-forms grant immunity to weapons. I don't think it can be used with allies. But... If you wanted max benefit from channeling, it'd be better to call a high-force great-form spirit and channel that. High force allies are available only to characters with lots and lots of spent karma.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012