Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Shadowrun novels
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Karmacoma
From the new Shadowrun FAQ: “WizKids will be publishing Shadowrun novels to accompany their Shadowrun Duels game, starting with a trilogy authored by Steve Kenson. No release date has yet been announced.”

First things first: I have loved the past novels from Steve Kenson, so I consider this a good thing.

Does anybody got any more info on them? Do they continue the Shadowrun timeline?—I really really hope there is no breach of continuity between them and the rest of the books as has happened in BattleTech…

Is Talon reappearing or will they be based on the new action models?

Would be nice if Wizkids also gave the go ahead to publishing the unpublished novel with all the Tir Tairngire info… wink.gif
FlakJacket
IIRC, the first one's meant to revolve around what's-his-name the magician, gun bloke, Browning or whatever. Also have the only Clix characters in there in some ways. Whether Talon makes an appearence, who knows. Although he is fairly high-powered and Clix meant to be lower, although guest appearence could still happen. Go beat it out of Kenson.
Ancient History
I havenae heard anything, other than Jak Koke and Caroline Spector might pubulish their ED novels in English. If Kenson's got a trilogy in the works, I'd like to see it.
sirdoom
Star of the new SR-Click novels

>>> Kellan Colt...
Adam
To the best of my knowledge, all of the Shadowrun Duels will focus on the characters in Duels, and there will be very little if any crossover - it's not likely that we'll see Talon or FastJack [for example] as Duels figures/characters.
motorfirebox
*piss, moan*
CirclMastr
As much as I like the fact that the new novels will be more street-level stuff and getting away from the "uber" NPCs like Talon, I can't help but think that characters like Colt will just turn into Uber: The Next Generation. I'd be very much surprised to see any of the figure characters go out on a run as a newbie and get him/herself killed the way 90% of 'actual' runners (PC or otherwise) do, because then it would ruin the tie-in with Colt v2.0 sarcastic.gif

<rant>

Which is probably why I didn't care for that one chapter in SSG. A 'middle class' moralist with 'middle class' sensibility (and by 'middle class' I mean 'utterly baseless') makes a perfect transition into squatting and shadowrunning without getting killed on the street, raped and murdered, harvested for organs/'ware, etc. Also if I was one of those runners who found out that some poser had recorded my conversation for public consumption, I'd probably hunt her down and do at least one of the above, probably something painful and gruesome under 'etc'.

</rant>
Ancient History
On the other hand, you have to enjoy the thought of RIkki Ratboy getting betrayed by his toaster or something.
Abstruse
Talky Toaster (Patent Pending)

The Abstruse One
DigitalMage
I can't remember where I read it but I believe the Duels novels will indeed focus on the specific Duels character, and that they will not add to teh metaplot but will instead simply be set within the existing SR world. This is a good thing in my opinion and backs up the idea that these will be street level stories rather than the "save the world" type.

Although the novels will focus on Duels, that does not preclude established personalities turning up as supporting characters e.g. Talon, Fastjack, but more likely lower powered characters.
K Oz
I havenae heard anything, other than Jak Koke and Caroline Spector might pubulish their ED novels in English.  If Kenson's got a trilogy in the works, I'd like to see it.

Don't have the link right now, but if you go to Jak Koke's website, you can get his ED novel online, chapter by chapter, for free, of course. You just have to subscribe to his mailing list. The novel's title is "Liferock" and (naturally) deals mostly with obsidimen. So far it looks quite cool, although I haven't read more than the first few chapters.
Adam
http://liferock.jakkoke.com/
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Hmmm...sounds like Wizkids/Fanpro are doing what Wizards of the Coast did with their Iconic Characters novels. Hopefully the Shadowrun version will be longer and better written. The Iconics seemed...forced.
Adam
FanPro has nothing to do with Duels, although some of the same freelancers are working on both Shadowrun and Shadowrun Duels.
Sepherim
Well, it's a good way to get a real good feeling on how the world of Shadowrun is for a normal group. Something like 2XS if we compare it to the Secrets of Power Trilogy.
Karmacoma
Shame that in Spain the Secrets trilogy is the only one that has been translated, isn't it Seph? My players are only into Spanish prose. *sigh* frown.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012