Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2nd ed. Sorcery Skill Doubts (silly but true)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Perssek
I know, I know...

Itīs a pretty dumb question and youīre probably answered enough of it. But the doubt remains. I recently started playing Shadowrun again (after almost 8 years) and struck myself with this dumb problem. Let me tell you how I came into this:

The players were making their characters, I was busy helping them with it (only two of them played my previous SR campaigns, and even them werenīt very sure of what they were doing), and one of them had the brilliant (no irony implied) idea of doing a mage. Great. A mage. Thereīs only grinding machines in the team (two mercs, a sam, a rigger and a physAd), so a mage could be a good addition. When he goes into the skills, he asks, "itīs sorcery I use to lob spells, right?" Not very sure, but feeling that it seems right, I answer that he is correct. "Great! I gonna put a 6 in this."

In the second gaming session, I read the magic section carefully and discovered that you donīt roll sorcery to use the spells. You roll the spells themselves. And then told him that. "OK", he answered, "my spells have high force, itīs ok. But... what use has Sorcery, aside astral combat?" I couldnīt answer him. A friend of mine has the 3rd ed. corebook and said that in 3rd ed. you roll Sorcery to sling spells.

And then, next gaming sesion, I said "guys, sorry, but letīs get back to Sorcery. Use the spells power just for what they are: power reference." It was OK for them, thank God.

Am I right? I mean, I read the Spell use section in 2nd ed. more than 10 times, and it says explicitly that you roll the SPELL force. So what good is Sorcery for?

Can anyone help me?
RedmondLarry
The Magic Pool, in SR2, is equal to the character's Sorcery Skill. These are the extra dice that he can use when casting spells or resisting drain. The Magic Pool refreshes at the start of a combat turn. See SR2 p. 85.

In third edition the character rolls Sorcery Skill. Spell Pool is one-third of (Int + Wis + Magic), rounded down, and can be added to spell casting or the drain resistance test.
Grimtooth
Ahhhh the good old days.

When damage affected ALL rolls. Including Drain.

/sniff
/sniff

Games were so much more deadly then.
Grinder
We're still doing it that way - so drain really sucks.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (OurTeam @ Jan 13 2005, 02:26 AM)
The Magic Pool, in SR2, is equal to the character's Sorcery Skill. These are the extra dice that he can use when casting spells or resisting drain. The Magic Pool refreshes at the start of a combat turn. See SR2 p. 85.

In third edition the character rolls Sorcery Skill. Spell Pool is one-third of (Int + Wis + Magic), rounded down, and can be added to spell casting or the drain resistance test.

Right.

In SR3, spells work like a firearm, where Sorcery = Dice Test, Spell = Weapon Damage (6M, 10S, etc.) and Spell Pool = Combat Pool.

In SR2, well, it had good intentions.

edit - forgot to mention too, that in SR3, your Magic Attribute controls spell radius or area of effect where as under SR2 it is controlled by the Spell's Force.
Frenzy
QUOTE (Grimtooth)
Ahhhh the good old days.

When damage affected ALL rolls. Including Drain.

/sniff
/sniff

I'm at work, so I do not have the pg numbers from SR3 to quote, but damage effects all TARGET rolls. Since there are no open test in spell casting (none that I can think of) all spells are effected by damage.

This is the reason why, in combat, you shoot the mage first. He is able to target your willpower instead of your body (you being a dumb gunbunny with low willpower) You need to tag him for damage to raise his target numbers for throwing spells at you.

If anyone can give me page numbers that refute what I'm saying, please do so.

Games ARE deadly.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Frenzy)
QUOTE (Grimtooth @ Jan 13 2005, 09:25 AM)
Ahhhh the good old days.

When damage affected ALL rolls.  Including Drain.

/sniff
/sniff

I'm at work, so I do not have the pg numbers from SR3 to quote, but damage effects all TARGET rolls. Since there are no open test in spell casting (none that I can think of) all spells are effected by damage.

This is the reason why, in combat, you shoot the mage first. He is able to target your willpower instead of your body (you being a dumb gunbunny with low willpower) You need to tag him for damage to raise his target numbers for throwing spells at you.

If anyone can give me page numbers that refute what I'm saying, please do so.

Games ARE deadly.

No this has changed in SR3. Damage modifiers don't effect Damage Tests like drain and otherwise.
Grimtooth
We were following the old rules until a few months ago too.

Now you just have outrageous TN's for casting and decent numbers for drain.

Was fun when the mage was hurling a Serious level Manabolt with a serious wound. Not to mention said drain from the successful casting of said manabolt.

Can you say OUCH!!!
Frenzy
Grinder ...

Thanks.

I'll look this up when I get home (GM is going to need it in writing). I don't know if we'll change the way were playing, but his is good to know. biggrin.gif
CircuitBoyBlue
Can anyone throw a page number at me showing where in SR2 it said that damage modifiers affected drain? The way I've always played it as a GM is that drain is a damage resistance test (because it IS, when you think about it), and therefore you don't have to add to your target number for already being wounded. I'd like a way to make the mages consider drain a little more, but I don't want to just arbitrarily say "You start taking a lot more damage;" I'd much rather have a book section to point at.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Frenzy)
Grinder ...

Thanks.

I'll look this up when I get home (GM is going to need it in writing). I don't know if we'll change the way were playing, but his is good to know. biggrin.gif

With reguards to Damage modifiers for Damage Tests:

SR3.38 - Modifiers
SR3.113 - Damage Resistance Tests (Paragraphs 1 & 2)
SR3.126 - Condition Levels (last paragraph in this section)
SR3.188 - Sorcery Drain
Mercer
QUOTE (OurTeam)

A minor point, and I haven't read through SR2 in a few years, but didn't Pools refresh on a character's action, rather than at the begining of the round?
Frenzy
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
With reguards to Damage modifiers for Damage Tests:

SR3.38 - Modifiers
SR3.113 - Damage Resistance Tests (Paragraphs 1 & 2)
SR3.126 - Condition Levels (last paragraph in this section)
SR3.188 - Sorcery Drain

Thanks! I just looked these up. SR3.188 should read SR3.183 though. (once I knew it existed, I was able to find it)

Under Drain Resistance Test "No target modifiers apply to this test except where specifically noted."
Perssek
Thanks, guys, looks like I was right. Sorcery is good-for-nothing when lobbing spells in SR2. Anyway, Iīll keep using it in SR3 rules, that being, weīll roll Sorcery to see if the spell works. Looks more logical to me.
RedmondLarry
QUOTE (Perssek)
Sorcery is good-for-nothing when lobbing spells in SR2
No, Sorcery was great in SR2. It gives you extra dice for throwing spells, up to the Force of the spell, or for use against Drain.

QUOTE (Mercer)
QUOTE (OurTeam)
A minor point, and I haven't read through SR2 in a few years, but didn't Pools refresh on a character's action, rather than at the begining of the round?
Ah, you are right! Your memory is working better than mine.
Perssek
QUOTE (OurTeam)

QUOTE (Perssek)

Sorcery is good-for-nothing when lobbing spells in SR2

No, Sorcery was great in SR2. It gives you extra dice for throwing spells, up to the Force of the spell, or for use against Drain.

Sorry, OurTeam, what I meant was that you donīt use Sorcery to know if the spell was launched or not. You use the Spell dice. Itīs strange to me because Iīm a long-time GURPS player, and we are used to have a skill to do things, even using a power (or a magical-specific power, in this matter).

But I talked my the team mage, and he liked the idea of using it the way the books describe it. So, it will be SR2 cannon. Not that I care much if itīs cannon or not, but if it is playable and logical-sounding.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012