Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cranial Cyberdeck storage
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Gauvain
Our decker just bailed, so I was throwing together a new one and noticed that getting adequate amounts of memory was virtually impossible. After finding the rules for dedicated Active memory in the Matrix book the problem was partially alleviated, but still present.
Basically with no work around, the decker doesn't have enough essence to have a useful amount of memory for the deck.

Has anyone considered using standard storage memory in a body compartment with a DNI interface? Just using the datajack as a router, or connecting the two devices directly.

cheesy rules monkey for the day. cyber.gif
SporkPimp
Sorta answered your own question, didn't you? You could also probably use a second datajack connected to (much cheaper!) external storage, though that jack would probably need a hefty transfer speed. Depends on how much you want to carry, really, since your internal storage + router idea would work fine AFAICT.

-Albert
Gauvain
I'm mostly concerned about any storage being counted as 'off-line' storage instead of full speed, online storage. The transfer speeds of a DNI are never addressed.

Also, I don't see different transfer speeds for datajacks any longer. I thought that was nixed in 3rd edition.
Mr.Sinister
I believe they use the term "off-line" because it's not storage directly integrated into a deck or computer. Off-line storage is a separate, external, device that connects to the deck/computer and is still accessed as if it was part of that device. Think of a USB/FireWire hard drive we have now.
Aes
You could give him a cyberlimb and install cyber memory into it. Since it's 'ware memory it should be directly accessible by the deck.

'course, that means your decker will lose half his pr0n collection when someone cuts off his hand wink.gif
GrinderTheTroll
I remember reading in Matrix that memory for C2 had to be headware memory, that it was not included in the price of the C2 Deck. In the same reading session (Matrix, R3R or SR3), I recall reading that, memory connected via DNI or other methods cannot be used as "Active Memory" but serves only as offline storage space.

There are quite a few mentions about differences between "Active Memory" and other types of available memory or storage.

I know I've fallen victim to using the DNI-OMC route, but from what I remember readind the actual "Active Memory" (aka Headware Memory) is required to execute programs and software if you want to do more than just look at file contents.
Fix-it
I would reccomend ditching the cranial deck and getting one installed in a cyberlimb.
cheaper, and you can do conventional modifications according to Matrix.
Moon-Hawk
M&M pg. 20
Headware memory (p. 298, SR3) can be used for both active and storage memory.  Other linked memory sources may also be used for storage memory (but not active memory).  Active and storage memory costs are not included in the costs shown below and must be purchesed separately.

Matrix pg. 65
The active memory described here . . . cannot be used for anything other than active utilities; it cannot be used as storage memory.  Note that headware memory . . . can be used for both active and storage memory.  Other linked memory sources may also be used for storage memory (but not active memory)
Aes
QUOTE (Fix-it)
I would reccomend ditching the cranial deck and getting one installed in a cyberlimb.
cheaper, and you can do conventional modifications according to Matrix.

Good idea. According to man & machine (pg. 37) a cyberdeck takes up the 5 space units available in a synthetic (in case you don't want your cyberlimbs to scream "CHROMED!!") cyberarm. Those are 100k a pop, but only soaks 1 point worth of essence from you.
GrinderTheTroll
Don't forget to add the DNI (+50% item cost), unless you'd like to plug the deck into the wall, then the deck into you datajack...externally.
Mr.Sinister
Thanks Moon-Hawk, I must have missed that when I was reading through. Granted, I didn't study it, so I guess missing those points was easy enough.
Necro Tech
You don't need to pay the +50% DNI because its an object that can go DNI all on its own. You still have to pay for the DNI hookup in the arm it self or you can just have a datajack mounted in your shoulder like my decker. You do have to pay the four times item cost for micronization and that can get pretty steep unless you do the work yourself.
Fix-it
QUOTE (Necro Tech)
You don't need to pay the +50% DNI because its an object that can go DNI all on its own. You still have to pay for the DNI hookup in the arm it self or you can just have a datajack mounted in your shoulder like my decker. You do have to pay the four times item cost for micronization and that can get pretty steep unless you do the work yourself.

that should only be mildly challenging for any decent decker.
Necro Tech
Mildly? Have you read the rules for designing your own deck? The target numbers are Harsh if you want the good stuff. Plus having a high programming skill is required. Very challenging for the time alone. Worth it, but hard.
Gauvain
Then there's the whole, device built into cyberlimb being x4 cost......cranial is cheaper. besides, I've got it handled now.

Here's the mail that I exchanged with shadowrunrpg.com:

Good question. Using Headware memory as 'storage memory' is a very
expensive
way to go.

The standard solutions I know of are DNI-linked memory in a cyberlimb
(very
common) or in a body compartment (less common).

Also common is a datajack that is used to pass data to and from an
external
storage device. Yes, you'd have to carry something around, but it'd be
very
small. My guess (house rule, if you use it) is that an external
reader/writer for OMC chips would be smaller than a pack of cigarettes.

You might ask your GM if you can just install a ChipJack, hook it up to
your
C2 deck, and put OMC chips into that jack. Normally chip jacks are
thought
of read-only for accessing skills, but if you had it wired to the C2
deck
the deck could certainly control read and write. This is certainly
non-standard, and would be very much of a house rule, but he might
decide
it's workable in his campaign.

I know that DNI-linked memory in cyberlimbs or body compartments is
expensive.

Good luck,
-- ShadowFaq

----- Original Message -----
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 08:02:46 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Shadowrun Website Question
To: info@shadowrunrpg.com

Good morning,

I have some questions about Cranial Cyberdecks. I have found the rules
about
what types of memory can be used, including the dedicated active memory
in
the Matrix book.

The issue I run in to is that there isn't enough nuyen and/or essence
in a
starting decker to have a viable C2 deck, as you can't have enough
storage
and active to keep your utilities up and have somewhere to put the
paydata.
The best workaround that I have been able to come up with, aside from a
prohibitively expensive cyberarm, is a body compartment with standard
terminal storage memory linked to the C2 via DNI routed through the
datajack. Is this viable in the rules?

GrinderTheTroll
Hmm, I like the "use a multi-jack to slot x3 1000MP OMC idea" alot. Any canon reason why that wouldn't work?
mfb
well, chipjacks don't have the ability to write data. and i'm not sure what kind of formatting you'd have to do to make the chips count as 'datasofts or knowsofts'.
GrinderTheTroll
No mention of that in SR3, it just says its a specialized version of the datajack. They both have similar text about what they can and can't access, but neither the datajack or chipjack mention they can write data.

The major interface difference I see is the Chipjack interfaces chips while the Datajack interfaces devices like cyberdecks, remote decks or anything else that can output data.
mfb
the datajack does mention that it can output data. however, outputting data is different from writing data to chips. i don't think it ever clarifies what's involved in non-permanently writing to an OMC.
GrinderTheTroll
OMC are the equivilant of diskettes (or simliar to today's flash memory cards) per SR3.295. OCC are the chips that are read-only, use once and they become useless.

I'd argue that since they are a read/write media designed to hold data, that you could read/write if it was attached to a data source (camera eyes, cyberdeck, audio recorder, etc).
mfb
hmm. possibly, yeah. on the other hand, it's possible that writing to OMCs requires hardware that's too big/heat-intensive/whatever for a chipjack. not enough data on writing to OMCs to say, either way. quickly, robin! to the batfaq!
hobgoblin
ouch, be very carefull with read/write rights. before you know it some enterpriseing decker will start a pirateing ring wink.gif

Botch
Considering my stance of "the whole of SR memory usage is screwed" we house-rule that since all headware memory is the same physical size and that it is connected to the C2 deck and NOT DIRECTLY TO THE PC headware memory is just .4 essense and only the cost scales with capacity.

There really isn't any justification for variable essense loss from headware memory directly connected to a C2 deck.
GrinderTheTroll
C2 decks in M&M don't come with any memory or storage, it has to be purchased seperately. So the justification is, you need to have it and the only way to get "active" is headware memory, since storage doesn't count. That's where the scalable essence cost for it comes from.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012