Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Seoulpa Rings and You
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Smiley
I've noticed that the more mainstream underworld organizations like the Mafia, the Yakuza, and even the Triads get a lot more attention than the Seoulpa Rings. I've wondered why, espeically since the Schism, to me, made them seem more motivated and driven. Have any of youse guys used them in your campaigns lately? For what?
Jrayjoker
I only know what the sourcebooks say. IIRC the Seoulpa rings are a relatively new oganized cime group that uses some really brutal methods. I have never used them in a campaign.
FlakJacket
That and they're a lot more fluid than the other organisations. They've got hierarchies, chains of command and set duties, defined territories and a fair amount of history/tradition etc. The rings on the other hand are much more cell like in nature and less bound by the past, meaning lots of variation from one group to the next.
Smiley
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
The rings on the other hand are much more cell like in nature and less bound by the past, meaning lots of variation from one group to the next.

Seems like that would lead to GMs using them more often... there's a Ring for every occasion. Hell, make one up. I did.
Paul
QUOTE (Smiley)
I've noticed that the more mainstream underworld organizations like the Mafia, the Yakuza, and even the Triads get a lot more attention than the Seoulpa Rings. I've wondered why, espeically since the Schism, to me, made them seem more motivated and driven. Have any of youse guys used them in your campaigns lately? For what?

Absolutely. I like to use the Rings, but I have to wonder if they're still "new" on the set. I mean they were new in 2051. Thats what? 13 years in game time. Still new comapred to the crime traditions of the big boys sure, but a decade is still a long time to little nonimmortals like me.
mfb
i thought it was the Triads who had a rep for brutality, not the Rings. the Rings run the gamut from hippy protesters fighting the good fight, to merciless street machines in it for the money. basically, they're a loose network of contacts. same could be said of all OC, i guess, but the Rings are much looser than most.
Smiley
Hippie protesters? Which Ring is that?
mfb
any of 'em. the books only list one or two, and says there are a lot more. it depends on who's in charge of a given ring; if they're true believers in the anti-japanese (by extension from their basic anti-yank stance) cause, they might be involved in public activism in addition to, as a front for, or funded by their illegal activities.
Paul
I believe that the Rings vary greatly not only from city to city but also from culture to culture. Rings run by whites and blacks might differ from rings run by asians or orks, or whatever. Some, like say in Frisco, might have idealistic goals and dreams-others might be straight up thug killers.
Smiley
The Seoulpa Rings are the Koreans who escaped annihilation during the Schism. I don't really know of any black or white rings.
mfb
the Rings were started by the Koreans who escaped annihilation. since then, they're recruited widely.
kevyn668
QUOTE (mfb)
any of 'em. the books only list one or two, and says there are a lot more. it depends on who's in charge of a given ring; if they're true believers in the anti-japanese (by extension from their basic anti-yank stance) cause, they might be involved in public activism in addition to, as a front for, or funded by their illegal activities.

I respect you, omea, but I'm gonna need some specifics. The only blurbs I've read said the Rings were small, high tech, and utterly ruthless. Basically, they're the new "not-so-big bad."

(I'm refering to the tree hugger thing)
Smiley
QUOTE (mfb)
the Rings were started by the Koreans who escaped annihilation. since then, they're recruited widely.

But are still Korean-owned and Korean-run.
mfb
the only thing most Rings have in common is their origin and a dislike of the Yakuza. check out the last shadowpost on page 65 of the Underworld SB; most of the Rings are cults of personality. they are, to quote the post right above that, "gangs with an ideology".

i'm not saying an activist-type Ring won't be hardedge and violent, and i'm not saying that activist Rings are at all common. but the only thing you can really guarantee, when it comes to any given Ring, is that they don't like Yaks; community activism isn't at all outside the realm of possiblility.

QUOTE (Smiley)
But are still Korean-owned and Korean-run.

not necessarily. most are, sure--maybe 99%. individual Ring leaders might be prejudiced against non-koreans, and most of them are still korean-oriented, but there is very little stress on racial purity within most Rings. if there aren't any non-korean Ring leaders now, there certainly will be five years from now.
kevyn668
Fair enough.
Sandoval Smith
They're a lot less organized than the other major OC factions, and except for a very small few, they don't have access to the resources that the others do. Also, if they were trying to work up into a major power player in a city, they would have to compete in a lot of areas in which the Mob or Yaks would be already established, and attrition would hurt them a lot more.
Smiley
I would tend to agree, but the Rings' ultimate goals and the Yakuza's ultimate goals differ slightly. The Yakuza wants total control of crime, be it smuggling, BTLs, Bunraku houses, narcotics, whatever. The Rings want to eliminate the Yakuza. So while The Yakuza is focusing on keeping the Mafia, gangs, the Triads, and everyone else up outta their criminal Kool-aid, the Rings are only fighting minor border skirmishes to keep a few profitable pots simmering while they gun for the Yakuza. The Rings are much more focused and much more fanatical.
Paul
Maybe the original Rings, yes, maybe even four or five rungs down-but this is like a chain letter tome. You can't ultimately control where itends up. Thats what intrests me in the Rings.

Sure in 2043 (Older than I thought they were...) when Akira Watada (Anyone else just love that name...) sent his army of shadow asassins Park Jai Kyu may have possiblely formed the first Seoupla Ring, but he can't control the end product here. Operating i groups of thirty or less means they have to make up for size with numbers-there have to be a lot of Rings out there.

This is straight from Shadows of the Underworld by Steve Kenson:

QUOTE ("Page 65")
Originally the members of Seoupla Rings, particularly the leaders, were all Korean, but that didn't last more than a couple of years after the Rings got going.

I think that's pretty clear. So maybe in a strong ethnic Korean town, there is alot Korean Rings. But say New York City Inc, maybe there is no Koreans, or humans.

To me the Rings are mostly just a structure now. A format, that anyone can adapt for use.
Paul
QUOTE (Smiley)
I would tend to agree, but the Rings' ultimate goals and the Yakuza's ultimate goals differ slightly. The Yakuza wants total control of crime, be it smuggling, BTLs, Bunraku houses, narcotics, whatever. The Rings want to eliminate the Yakuza.

For some Rings this is true. But again the idea of the Rings all wanting this doesn't hold true for me. Maybe there a lot of Rings who would do it because its ood for business, but not all are in it for revenge.

Of course every Ring that functions is a bit of spittle in the Yaks eye, so they serve that purpose in part regardless.
Sandoval Smith
QUOTE (Smiley)
The Triads, and everyone else up outta their criminal Kool-aid, the Rings are only fighting minor border skirmishes to keep a few profitable pots simmering while they gun for the Yakuza. The Rings are much more focused and much more fanatical.

There's you're explanation for why there isn't much mention of the Rings right there. Most of them are dead. A small, disorganized crime group attempting to take on a much larger, more powerful, better armed organized crime group is going to get its hoop kicked more often than not. That would also create the tendancy for the Yakuza to try and wipe out any Seoulpa operation they hear about.
mfb
to a point. the Rings are less disorganized than they are loosely organized. it's hard to bring the hammer down on them because it's too easy for them to scatter an regroup elsewhere. think of it as guerilla OC.
Chance359
The Rings are the Whack-A-Mole of organized crime.
JongWK
Note that the Seoulpa Rings originate in North America. The situation in the motherland could be very different. wink.gif
Smiley
If it's not Korean, it shouldn't be a Seoulpa Ring. Seoulpa Rings were formed by the Koreans that escaped the Schism. If they branched off over and over to the point that there aren't any more Koreans, the end result would just be a gang calling themselves a ring. Hell, the original rings were basically big, organized gangs to begin with.
mfb
that's not how the Rings work. the Rings weren't started with the intention of creating a korean mafia; they were started with the intent of creating a criminal enterprise which, as part of its operations, hurts the Yakuza. what seperates the Rings from common gangs is, 1) they're more likely to come to peaceful, cooperative agreements between themselves; and 2) they all have, to greater and lesser degrees, an anti-Yak bent. the fact that they're so korean-oriented is mainly an artifact of their founding; when the original Ring leaders begain recruiting, they recruited from within the korean community because that's where all their contacts were. as soon as they started making good contacts outside the korean community, though, they diversified their racial base as much as possibe.

what binds the Rings is ideology, not race--which is one of the reasons they're so hard to knock down. the Yaks still think of the Rings as being a korean thing; the less and less korean the Rings actually are, the easier it will be for them to strike at the Yaks--and also make money.
Wounded Ronin
I like onion rings.
Paul
QUOTE (Smiley)
If it's not Korean, it shouldn't be a Seoulpa Ring. Seoulpa Rings were formed by the Koreans that escaped the Schism. If they branched off over and over to the point that there aren't any more Koreans, the end result would just be a gang calling themselves a ring. Hell, the original rings were basically big, organized gangs to begin with.

Big? Where exactl are you getting that from?

I'm not saying you can't run it this way in your game, but I personally don't see anything inCanon that agrees with you, or in my own personal interpretation.

mfb states correctly, in my opinion, what the Rings are today. Now you might be correct in saying that some Rings really are little more than street gangs in all but name, and I think you'd be right.

What differs them in my mind, is that there is a command structure, and that structure is hidden, and in a specific way.
cbettles
Personally, I love the Rings. The whole story line behind their founding is great and the Rings they describe in New Seattle add a lot of depth to the city. I created an excellent human street sam who was a member of the Komun'go ring in Seattle. He was the older cousin of Chulsoon Grey Wolf and a former Korean yakuza member.

I based him off of Spike from the Cowboy Bebop anime. The best part of the character is I had a pervasive enmity that lasted the entire campaign (the Yakuza) and I also had some useful underworld allies and contacts that weren't so over powered that they disrupted the game balance.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012