Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A story idea
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Cynic project
I am thinking that this dragon's teacher was killed in the down cycle,and wile is some what close to becoming a great dragon is still at least decades away from doing so.

Now would it be totally stupid to make a dragon like this and a corp?

As to why I would want to make these two things,I was looking to a story on the lines of this dragon being locked in a fight with a person for control of the corp. They have roughly the same amount of shares, and another share holders dies. Do to the timing and many other factors the stocks have no clear legal owner.

So the two factions decide to do a bet. The dragon choses the contest,witch would be something along the lines of an easter egg hunt. The human picks who will do it. So he picks one the dragon's pet project. This being a cabal of magically active people with strange talents. They are threw various means tricked into thinking that every other member of the cabal is dead,and spread too the wind. I am still working on more detail..I hope this story doesn't sound too corny.

Well, there are five people,and depending on who wins the hunt,determines who would gain the shares. Two for each the dragon and the human,and one wild card.

I was going to mainly work on the wild card. But I have been thinking of letting other people do the stories of the rest.

ABout the only things I have set in stone about the characters are what types of magic they fallow.

One is a female elf who follows the totem City.
One is a follower of the totem Computer.
One is a idol worshiper,of herself.
And one is a hermetic that doesn't summon normal elementals...They tend to be things like metal,lighting, magma or something like the normal ones, but not really.

The character I was going to work on would be something like a voodoun, but he summons up emotions and mind sets...He is also is not wholly "sane".

As for the company,I was thinking it would be a company based out of CAS. It would largely be based off contracts with cities,or other corps. It wouldn't be one to really touch the lives of normal people. At least directly. It has large power plants that tend to be clean,and it deals with way to manage waste on macro scales. It has some IP rights in magical fields, but as noted it isn't a threat to any of the big ten.

As for the dragon, the only details that I think should be set in stone is that, yes it is publicly a dragon.The dragon seems to hate both Big D,and Ghost Walker, and is strangely chummy with some of the elven higher ups in the TIR.
Panzergeist
I can't understand who you are talking about. A dragon is dead, but is close to becoming a great dragon despite being dead? What corp are you talking about? Are you the GM, or a player, or both? Are you creating the characters yourself for the players? And what exactly is the mission going to be like?

I just can't figure out what this is supposed to be about.
Critias
And every one of your "characters" sounds pretty lame.
Sandoval Smith
That was unduly harsh.

The problem is that I'm not real sure I understand what's going on here. If I'm reading it right, there's a dragon (whose teacher was killed during the downtime) on the board of what sounds like an A level corp, and is contesting for control with a human character. A third character just passed away, and his shares of the company are up for grabs, with ultimately the dragon and the character agreeing on a competition to see who gets them.

One of the dragon's pet projects is a group of rather unusual awakened characters, and to settle the competition, they are scattered across the globe on some sort of artifact hunt, and are coninved that the rest of their group is dead. Two of them will be working for the dragon, two for the other character, and the fifth will be a wild card.

I can't really comment on it right now, because I still don't know quite what's going on. What are they looking for? How big of a character is the dragon going to be? Things like that.
Cynic project
QUOTE (Critias)
And every one of your "characters" sounds pretty lame.

Well, let's see. You say something that is completely based on your tastes,and do not even explain yourself. So, tell me why are the lame? How would you change them? Or are you just someone who likes to points fingers,because it is easy?
Cynic project
QUOTE (Sandoval Smith)
That was unduly harsh.

Thank you for you post, and that is about what I have.

As for what they are looking for, I don't know. I am still thinking of that. I am not even sure they will all be looking for the same thing. I was going to ask if anyone wanted to write stories for those four characters, so as being that I am not even sure I will in control of what the characters are looking for.

As for the Dragon and the human,I would like them to be subtle,and behind the sense types. But they may be talked about and on TV or something, but the characters int eh story shouldn't run into them unless it is something really big.

The Dragon's name is tanzende Kobra(I like the idea,that a dragon would call himself dancing cobra.Wo sue me-.^). The human is magically active, but it is unknown how, or who taught him magic. I am not really good with names, so I am still leaving his name open.

Jrayjoker
As far as concepts go, you have a starting point. I have read books and books that if anyone explained the plot before I read it I would have laughed at them. I have no problem with your premise, but you need to flesh it out quite a bit before anyone can reasonably comment on anything.
Cynic project
Good point. Good point indeed. I wanted to make a story that, would let other people have a free hand over a lot of the plot points. After all no oen really sees the world in the same light,and I do not think these magically active people with their radical magical talents would be anything close to normal.

The story I was going to work on would be basically my main character and the team he joins up with would be looking for blue prints,and data on a way to make a power plant in space. Then the rights,and info on the power would most likely either be sold to one of the big boys that has the resources to build it,or it would be proposed as a joint venture.

Jrayjoker
Keep on fleshing.....Why would the dragon even agree to this? Does the human shareholder even know he's dealing with a dragon. Is there a doublecross involved at the end that no one knows about? Etc.
Cynic project
Yes, the human knows he is dealing with a dragon. He has been dealing with this dragon for the better part of thirty years. Why would the dragon agree to this? It is simple, the dragon was sure that this war by proxy would cost less assets to the company than an open war with the human... We will call this human Nelson. That is just a working name.

So, in order to save resources in the long run the two parties agreed to gamble, that could end up costing them a few valueable assets,so that they didn't wind up splitting the corp a part. It is not that they hate each other, it is more that they do not always see eye to eye. They both own roughly 30% of the shares and there is 10% up in the air. Seeing as they do not see eye to eye all the time, they both want to get the shares so they do not have to make as many deals, or comparmisses with the way they want the corp to go.

Wile there be any double crossing in any of the stories. I can't really say yes or no. Both Nelson and Kobra are high level suits in a company,so that all but rules out that they are not go to bend the rules. I mean I do not think you raise to the top of an AA or even an A rated corp without being smart,cunning and willing to step over at least a few moral lines.
Cynic project
http://www.bulldrek.com/viewtopic.php?t=7167
sidartha
One thing I'm not clear on is what are the PC's roles in this challenge?
Another thing that in my mind needs to be very clear is why the human is a challenge to the Dragon at all. None of the people I game with would belive for a second that a Adult Dragon so close to becoming Great would hesitate to have a rival eliminated.
Now that I've nitpicked, some suggestions.
You didn't say which Tir, if it was Tir na Nog and your Noble-not-Prince helped get the Dragon out of a hostile country quietly then that could be why Nelson still breathes.
Decide what the Five are looking for and then you can tailor the person(assuming NPC) to his/her item. Or if your using PC's tailor the item(s) to the person.
Dragons keep an eye on each other. What will be the fallout from this little bet and how will the other Dragons like it? Will they help one side or the other?
Big D and Big G are/were brothers. Does this little fact affect why Cobra hates them so much? what is Cobra's relation with the other Great and Not-So-Great Dragons?

In other words it could be a solid story but it needs more detail.
Happy Hunting wink.gif
James McMurray
I like the premise and think it could be an entertaining setup, but the characters are too gimmicky. Instead of neat tricks, give them solid personalities. That will help the story a lot more.

I'm also confused about what the PCs will be doing in this. Or is it just an idea for a story and not a run?
Cynic project
Another thing that in my mind needs to be very clear is why the human is a challenge to the Dragon at all. None of the people I game with would belive for a second that a Adult Dragon so close to becoming Great would hesitate to have a rival eliminated.

Well, Dragons aren't gods,and humans aren't pawns. Look at this way, Knight played chess with Big D and won more than a few times. He openly competes with SK,and in some feilds he is winning. Nelson is a mage,who has been up and kicking with mojo for getting close to 40 years. He is not stupid,and he is not without allies.
Now that I've nitpicked, some suggestions.
You didn't say which Tir, if it was Tir na Nog and your Noble-not-Prince helped get the Dragon out of a hostile country quietly then that could be why Nelson still breathes.

I really hate Nog. Well, many reasons.I don't think like a dragon. And don't forget that Nelson has some friends in high places. I just like to have him have a less open poewr structure. I mean, let's see who would want to help a corp who makes it money by making cities cleaner... How many great dragons, would want him to be alive to make sure the upstarting dragon is being kept bussy? How many Policlubs would have interest in seeing a dragon brought to it's knees by a mere human? I could list many other reasons, but in the end it comes down to this. Just maybe dragons aren't so smart or cruel as people think.

Decide what the Five are looking for and then you can tailor the person(assuming NPC) to his/her item. Or if your using PC's tailor the item(s) to the person. Well, I was going to let the people of the stories costumize what they are looking for. It should be something big, but it doesn't have to be anythign I could or would think of.

Dragons keep an eye on each other. What will be the fallout from this little bet and how will the other Dragons like it? Will they help one side or the other?
Big D and Big G are/were brothers. Does this little fact affect why Cobra hates them so much? what is Cobra's relation with the other Great and Not-So-Great Dragons?

Well, let's get down to the dragon world. WOuld it change the world of dragons. I don't think so. I wouldn't limit the this part of the world, but I don't want to rule it out either. I mean one of the backr of the power plant in space could be SK, or the DF. Or some of the "runs" wind up dealing with something a dragon owns or cares about. BUt I think that on the whole dragons aren't things that deal with runner on personal level.

In other words it could be a solid story but it needs more detail.
Happy Hunting
Cynic project
QUOTE (James McMurray)
I like the premise and think it could be an entertaining setup, but the characters are too gimmicky. Instead of neat tricks, give them solid personalities. That will help the story a lot more.

I'm also confused about what the PCs will be doing in this. Or is it just an idea for a story and not a run?

Well, this is an idea for et of stories. The characters are "gimmicky" because I was looking for that, as a starting point. i did not want to make a group of characters,with deep personalities and then ask people to wright a story using them.

But if I throw out few with gimmiks,and tricks,then let other fill inthe blanks...

I was only going to work on one of the characters and have the rest be in the back ground. Then I thought it would be nice to see what other people would like to add to this story or set of stories.
Botch
I've PM'ed a brief PC synopsis thingy if it is any use. I like the idea of taking a sideways view on magic and telling it through a tale of the Hunt for the Dragon's Egg (I know its shares).
Jrayjoker
So is this a call for authors to write parallel stories to your character's story?

If that is the case then you need to clearly define the setting and backstory of the corp, dragon, and human (Nelson, IIRC) so that we have a solid foundation.
Cynic project
Well, let's see the setting of the corp it is based largely in North America.Mainly Tir,and the NAN(UTE, Suiox,and PCC ). It works mainly on scales that either too big for most shadowrunner to care about. IE running the power to large groups of people, or scales too small..IE running recycling plants.

As for the the heads of the corp. It is private,and they do not feel the need to really show their faces. They are seen as being friendly and nice, but in a lot of way so is Aztlan. I would want the character to have their own views on what they think the powers that be are. Talk to 10 shadowrunners about say mister Knight, and about he only thing you will get that is the same would be that he is good at what he does. What I mean is that, I want the dragon and Nelson to to be removed,and not so much "human", as something like a ghost story.

As the back story, well Around 2035 Nelson came up with a better way to make solar power,and was in some way ,smart,ruthless, or lucky enough to make enough money to form the back bone of a corp. In 38 or so the dragon was one the share holders and over the next 10 year bought enough to have about the same amount of shares as the Nelson. They do not hate each other, and in many cases they come off at least to the outside world as friends. They truly share the same goals, witch seem to be making sure that the astral plane will be useable in the future. They just do not always share the idea of what is the best means tot his end.The eleven Share holder who owned 10% of the shares rarely voted on anything,and was largely passive. Fast forward to now,and this corp is trying to pull a fast one on the big boys in such away that they will not get knocked out or bought up.

I only have ideas what they will do to achieve this goal. One is trying to make an archeology in space. Getting enough dirt on some parties to either make some purchasing prices more reasonable, or to make sure they just look the other way. Maybe they want to merg with another corp to make sure they will have more resources. But in the end, there should be at least two ideals on how they may achieve more power... Just rememeber that in order for you to save the world, you mush have the power to stop the thing that is destroying it.
Mensche
it sounds to me like this corp may be larger than AA if they're dealing in arcologies and space drek. doesn't it?
Kanada Ten
The rating isn't a measure of size, but diversity and stability. You can't be "bigger" than an AA really - getting the next A only means you've got a seat on the Corporate Court. Hell, ZetaChem has space assets and arcologies as a single aspect of their business, yet it's only an AA (while the smaller Novatech is AAA due to a technicality). If Cynic's corp in only into a few areas of research (arcologies, space and power), then it might even count only as a small AA. It just depends on how deep their pockets go.

This site has a huge list of dragon names that might inspire you, Cynic.
Cynic project
QUOTE (Mensche)
it sounds to me like this corp may be larger than AA if they're dealing in arcologies and space drek. doesn't it?

They are dealing space, with the use of the resources of others. They wouldn't be building the power plant in space, they would be desgiening it.

And Novatech isn't small. It just not as big as ZIC. Wile Novatech tends to break the rule on AAA's being the biggest, and ZIC breaks the rule of AA's being smaller. You do not have AA that is only in one city. I mean most AA's are not only stable,they also have the resources to field armies.
Cynic project
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
The rating isn't a measure of size, but diversity and stability. You can't be "bigger" than an AA really - getting the next A only means you've got a seat on the Corporate Court. Hell, ZetaChem has space assets and arcologies as a single aspect of their business, yet it's only an AA (while the smaller Novatech is AAA due to a technicality). If Cynic's corp in only into a few areas of research (arcologies, space and power), then it might even count only as a small AA. It just depends on how deep their pockets go.

This site has a huge list of dragon names that might inspire you, Cynic.

As for ratings, I unrated corps are bound by all the laws of the land. A ranting corps aren't? I am not so clear on that. AA are countries onto themsleves and can do anything a nation can.. At least as long they do nto piss off the CC.
Kanada Ten
Unrated corps are national and thus do not gain extraterritorality, or they are too small or unstable to be "recognized" by the Corporate Court, though in many places (such as the UCAS) they still have limited extraterritorality.

A rated are simply large and stable companies, but not able to petition the Court directly. They are either to limited in scope or not powerful enough to gain the double A rating.

AA means you are a powerful corporation with diverse assests and long term performance, vision, and so on. The only difference between most AAs and a AAA is the Court seat - which is a huge difference, but still allows them to deal with the Court directly.
Botch
The group is described as the dragon's pet project. From the descriptive text its clear that their ecletic magical abilities set them aside as a definitve group within the corp, but what do they do? It would help if you could detail the work that they were doing as a group so that is a baseline to proceed from. Just what would make them respond in a SR manner instead of running as most corp-er's would?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012