Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Twenty-Four or 24
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Buck Satan
Well recently I finished watching the entire 24 sessions 1-3 and I just started on season 4 a few weeks back. I was doing some brainstorming recently for a Shadowrun campaign and 24 seems like a good idea for the most part. My question to ya'll at the Sr forums is what do you think or maybe what are some good ideas for the actual campaign? Either I want ya'll to discuss. Please and thanks.
iPad
Do you mean with the plot of 24?

Or set across 24 hours?
Panzergeist
Yes, have a campaign wherein the runners undego a series of missions which all last exactly 24 hours. And the team leader's family always somehow gets involved. And they all involve terrorists worst than the last.
iPad
QUOTE (Panzergeist)
Yes, have a campaign wherein the runners undego a series of missions which all last exactly 24 hours. And the team leader's family always somehow gets involved. And they all involve terrorists worst than the last.

SO it is worth me trying to watch 24 then? nyahnyah.gif
Buck Satan
I meant over the course of 24 hours not the plot of 24 hours. For crying out loud I am not one of the GM's that completely rips off a scenario. It's always good to take snippets from here and therebut NEVER and I mean NEVER STEAL ANOTHER GM'S IDEA UNLESS IT IS OK WITH HIM OR HER! I have had that happen to me before and boy did it suck majorly especially since I got his players after they ousted him. They are ok with me now but then they were like lets have this GM's head on a stake and kabob it! But um yeah a campaign that was based over the span of 24 hours. Especially since there's alot of wacky stuff in the shadowrun universe there are always plenty of ways to execute your session with a bang. And to the prior statment it is worth trying to watch previous the previous seasons of 24 before trying to watch season 4.
iPad
Easy tiger just asking a genuin question.
Arethusa
QUOTE (Buck Satan)
I meant over the course of 24 hours not the plot of 24 hours. For crying out loud I am not one of the GM's that completely rips off a scenario. It's always good to take snippets from here and therebut NEVER and I mean NEVER STEAL ANOTHER GM'S IDEA UNLESS IT IS OK WITH HIM OR HER! I have had that happen to me before and boy did it suck majorly especially since I got his players after they ousted him. They are ok with me now but then they were like lets have this GM's head on a stake and kabob it! But um yeah a campaign that was based over the span of 24 hours. Especially since there's alot of wacky stuff in the shadowrun universe there are always plenty of ways to execute your session with a bang. And to the prior statment it is worth trying to watch previous the previous seasons of 24 before trying to watch season 4.

Please, remember to breathe when you type these things. It'll help.
Crimsondude 2.0
I'd suggest against it, but if you do:

First, plan this out better than they do at Fox. I mostly stopped watching the show after the first season (I'd catch an episode or two, see Kevin Dillon, and promptly change the effing channel) because I had wasted 23 hours of my life watching that crap because it was poorly plotted out, and I know that the timeframe they're working on now is about 1 week before it's filmed and aired after the first few episodes (mainly the first 4 hrs.), so try not to do that. Actually have an idea about what you're going to do, even though it can get completely thrown off course within five minutes. Have encounters and and a clear ending. Just throwing shit in for no reason leads to the creation of more shit.

Other than that, just... good luck. I can tolerate some on-the-fly GM'ing, but ... n/m.
Buck Satan
Yeah I can on-the-fly-gm when I first started I ran into the brick wall all rookie gm's do which is clam up the second the party doesn't do what you had planned. Which I will I'll admit really sucks but for the most part but after a while I was able to come with a suitable alternative run or two just in case the party really fragged up big time. Now when I gm all I have is a basic idea of what I would like to happen but I am always on the fly now because I don't have lots of time in between sessions to come up with full fledged runs. I have been gming for many a year I know planning ahead can work but usually I have found that brainstorming and taking few moderatlely developed ideas works better than trying to force you group to do what you want them to do.
Crimsondude 2.0
Thank you. Because I clearly didn't notice it.
hyzmarca
The big problem with a 24esq game is downtime. Most SR scenarios rely on downtime for information gathering, purchasing equipment, and whatnot. Why, obtaining low light binoculars takes 48 hours by canon.
Jack Bower has the advantage of a huge government infrastructure from which he can obtain equipment and data. In order to run a 24 scenerio without, failing miserabily, the PC will have to have access to similar resources in the begining. This means corporate or government backing. Intel resources are a must, since standard info gathering techniques would take too long.
Panzergeist
Even so, 24 is too formulaic.
Arethusa
Damn, you guys definitely convinced me not to watch it. Shame, really. I like Kiefer Sutherland.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Jan 17 2005, 09:20 PM)

Jack Bower has the advantage of a huge government infrastructure from which he can obtain equipment and data.  In order to run a 24 scenerio without, failing miserabily, the  PC will have to have access to similar resources in the begining.

... or a super-decker/Johnson and a lot of friends in Seattle.

Just because I wouldn't do it, doesn't mean it hasn't been done.
mfb
a super-decker johnson who founded overwatch, don't forget that, it's the part that causes the most screaming.
BitBasher
QUOTE (Arethusa)
Damn, you guys definitely convinced me not to watch it. Shame, really. I like Kiefer Sutherland.

I actually quite like the show. I thought it was worth my time. It did have it's issues, but nothing that really killed it for me.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (mfb)
a super-decker johnson who founded overwatch, don't forget that, it's the part that causes the most screaming.

Yeah, whatever. He can claim whatever he damn well pleases. It doesn't make it true.

And you're wrong. It's not screaming. It's high-pitched laughter.
mfb
nah, it's screaming: the part about him founding overwatch is actually true. dave and jason apparently changed it completely when they used it, but the basic idea was apparently his.

and, at this point, everbody's wondering wtf we're yammering on about.
Crimsondude 2.0
Oh, dammit. See, I was engaged in a careful meditation on distiguishing the subtle differences between realities. IOW, I forgot.

But playing a part in every major event in the last fifty years--that's where the laughter comes from.

Finally... I'd think you'd be used to it. As for me, no one IRL or online ever has any clue what I'm talking about.
Eismann
Moin

Some of the german freelancers master similar adventures called "24-hour-runs" on the RatCon (the german FanPro-RPG-Convention). Players and their characters have to play 24 hours on one run. No sleep, no break, only coffein. wink.gif
Seems to be fun.
BitBasher
On topic, ive had a single run last two or three times longer than 24 hours with no downtime at all in character.

This is usually the result of becoming viciously hunted when they didn't expect it, or the double crosses started flying.
Voran
A lot of factors are involved. The ones I see: The GM needs to be able to sustain the suspensful nature of the story. This becomes difficult ...well pretty much anytime you have to use the SR mechanics system for anything. Resolving combat, drain, any sort of skill checks, etc, eats away valuable time out of game. Unless you're in Eismann's example of the true 24 hour run where the players play for 24 hours straight, even a 24 hour "in game" session could last several sessions. In a 24 hour supersession, I imagine the differences between characters and players may become readily apparently. I may PLAY a genetic supersoldier who's able to function at top capacity without sleep for 48 hours, but in real life I sure as hell can't. By hour 8 I imagine I'd be doing some really silly things. Things my character itself would not do.

For examples sake lets use a 24 hour "in game" timeline. The GM also has to be prepared for a potentially more deadly game. Your best defense is avoiding getting hit, having super armor and never using any spells that may result in drain. (So...pretty much all of them?) Without the downtime that pops up in the normal "chapters" of a typical campaign, your characters will be much more vulnerable to the dings and nicks ...and gaping wounds they'll take along the way.

In any game, even without the time crunch, the GM is challenged to come up with situations where all the characters involved can contribute. No one likes to be warming the bench while everyone else is doing something. In a time crunch game, I feel that pressure gets increased.

Overall, I'm not saying it shouldn't be done, but I would say I wouldn't recommend it to GMs who aren't able to cover all those different factors.
Eismann
Moin

The 24-hour-runs take 24 hours "in game" too. A large part of these runs is about leg work, investigation etc. Fights of a few seconds in game are compensated by "fast forwarded" elements like car rides, sleep breaks and so on.
It needs a good plot and much planing, but I heard it's worth that work.
Westiex
No one likes to be warming the bench while everyone else is doing something. In a time crunch game, I feel that pressure gets increased.

Also note that its entirely possible that some players will nod off during these moments. I've done thirty hours straight before, without any problems, but even on 'normal' days if I'm not involved in something then I feel tired. Tiredness leads to sleep. Sleep leads to missing eyebr ...

Err, lets not go there.

So you have to have to make sure that all players are doing something most of the time, with breaks for caffine and the toilet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012