Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: After Reading New Seattle.....
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Magic Adept
As you may know i am a newb shadowrun GM/Player......

Is it a bad idea to run a party's first runs in the barrens or is that a suicidal thing to do for a first time Gm or any gm for that manner, if anyone has a better idea for an ideal place please let me know lol its just tha ti find the barrens a very interesting place.

Also i was wondering what some ideal motives and goals or even run ideas are suited for a run to run as a first time GM and whether or not to include things such as rigging an decking at this point of time perhaps it will overwhelm me i dont know.

Thanks for your time.
iPad
Get the 'First Run' campaign book, its awesome for starting players and gms. Cant reconmend it enough.

As for the barrens its not THAT dangerious. An average runner shouldn't encounter anyone to hard out there since no one has much money to buy 'ware or weapons. That said there are numerious corp and shadow safe houses or facilities out there, but the armed guards and barbed wire should give those away.
Jonah
First thing I found to be a huge boon if you have the time is run a 'prequal' for each character. It gives players an idea of their character as an individual and can make some great story hooks. They only need to be short and you don't even have to make 'em up. You just ask the player for their character history and you run a part of that.

Oh yeh, I was in the military...
So get them to do that nasty mission that left them with a cyber limb and twitch. They can also make any surviving buddies into contacts.

Yeh, I was a corp wage slave...
Run that day where their dreams were shattered and the guy next to them screwed them over for the promotion.
Wow, theres a guy they'll want to hunt down later.

As for the barrens, its better tha an AAA corp zone. At least you only have to deal with the gangers, not the law and bystanders.
Start off with the team doing someone a favour (like a family/friend/contact) where they're getting picked on by a relativly small gang. They have a HQ with crap security (but it still needs to be considered) and they have very little in the way of fire power (pistols, chains, whips and other melee weapons, maybe an SMG or two).
This way they can get in, use some skills and if it all goes pear shaped and become a blood bath the cops arn't going to be on the butts for the next few years...
Grinder
QUOTE (Jonah)
This way they can get in, use some skills and if it all goes pear shaped and become a blood bath the cops arn't going to be on the butts for the next few years...

If the cops care. After all, it's still happening in the Barrens. Some more dead gangers, who cares?

A good starting run would be imho to search and rescue someone who's been kidnapped by a gang or organleggers which have their HQ in the Barrens.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012