Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Urban Brawl
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
James McMurray
I remember seeing an adventure once with rules for Urban Brawl in it but I can't remember which one it was. Anyone here that can point me to it?
Walknuki
http://www.intercom.net/user/logan1/ubl.htm

Enjoy.
Crimsondude 2.0
Dark Angel?
James McMurray
Thanks!
kevyn668
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
Dark Angel?

Nope. A Killing Glare. smile.gif
James McMurray
Checked out the rules on the site, and they don't seem to fit the adventure I was going for. Looks like I'll have to invent something on my own.

Ah well, if it had been close to what I wanted, I'd probably have mangled it beyond recognition with personal customizations anyway. No adventure or sourcebook ever escapes my pen unscathed. smile.gif
kevyn668
Well, there's always ROLLERBALL!!
Panzergeist
Man, someone should make a mod for UT2004 or HL2 based on this.
Crimson Jack
I made a run once that took my team to a new style 'Brawl' game that I made for tropical/coastal cities. I named it Sea Brawl and it was played in an area, similar in size to an Urban Brawl game zone, but played in the surf. In the game's setting, the game took place in a destroyed industrial surf/mining zone (pipes, portions of buildings sticking out of the water, etc).

The game used players on jet skis/waverunners, divers with hand-held UW jet propulsion engines, and underwater "heavies" (or goalies). The terrain, water, aquatic animal life, and underwater combat mechanics made for a very dangerous game for them. Was pretty fun though. smile.gif
Kagetenshi
Motorball was better than rollerball.

~J
Crimson Jack
Ever see Blood of Heroes? That's a cool Urban Brawl type of game.
Garland
Mmmmm... Joan Chen.
BookWyrm
QUOTE (kevyn668)

The original was so much better.

Blood of Heroes? One of my faves. "Nobody carries the dog-boy!"

And I have to agree....Joan Chen....oh yeah.
kevyn668
QUOTE (BookWyrm)
QUOTE (kevyn668 @ Jan 20 2005, 12:40 AM)

Yeah, I keep hearing that but I just don't see it. I'm starting to think people say the first one is better b/c its "cool" to say that.

They're two really different movies. One is a commentary on corporate power and comformity (given the times, I'd say an allusion to communism) with a wierd blood sport as the backdrop, similar to Logan's Run and Soylant Green. The second is just a good action movie.

I think both are good in thier own way.
Crimson Jack
Hmm, maybe. But what was up with the 15 minutes of night vision? Damn, I thought my DVD player broke. Annoying. dead.gif
kevyn668
I'll back you on the night vision. I didn't really like that either.
Bigity
Yea. SR should definately have juggers.

Joan Chen was so 10 years ago...now it's Grace Park. Yum.
Garland
QUOTE (Bigity)
Joan Chen was so 10 years ago...now it's Grace Park. Yum.

Ah, but see, it can be 10 years ago anytime a person wants. Just pop in the movie.
kevyn668
That's deep, man.
BookWyrm
(applauds Garland)
BookWyrm
QUOTE (kevyn668)
QUOTE (BookWyrm @ Jan 20 2005, 09:09 PM)
QUOTE (kevyn668 @ Jan 20 2005, 12:40 AM)

Yeah, I keep hearing that but I just don't see it. I'm starting to think people say the first one is better b/c its "cool" to say that.

They're two really different movies. One is a commentary on corporate power and comformity (given the times, I'd say an allusion to communism) with a wierd blood sport as the backdrop, similar to Logan's Run and Soylant Green. The second is just a good action movie.

I think both are good in thier own way.

The original Rollerball was more of a social commentary than the slug-fest that the remake was (although catching Rebecca Romijin topless for those few seconds is a definite bonus nyahnyah.gif ), the game in the remake came off as an illegal sport for adrenaline junkies (the players) rather then the 'blood & circuses' that it was in the original. You can't tell me that you can compare the treatment that the Rollerball star players (Like James Kahn's Johnathan E.) was being spoon-fed perks like todays star athletes. In the remake, it just came off an another extreme sport, but without safety guidelines.

Besides, it had John Houseman in it. Talk about a villian! cool.gif
DrJest
Blood of Heroes... Joan Chen...

Wait a minute, is that an alternative title for Salute of the Jugger?
Fortune
QUOTE (DrJest)
Blood of Heroes... Joan Chen...

Wait a minute, is that an alternative title for Salute of the Jugger?

Yep, same movie. smile.gif
DrJest
That was indeed a most superb movie smile.gif

"Walk."
Charon
QUOTE (kevyn668 @ Jan 20 2005, 09:24 PM)

Rollerball is a good action movie?

Well, I can't argue taste but if you think Rollerball is good then you probably haven't seen a lot of 'bruckheimer era' action movie you didn't like. Which isn't a bad thing if it keeps you from feeling cheated out of your money 1 time out of 2 when going to the movies. wink.gif

As an amusing aside, on rottentomatoes, the first Rollerball has scored 80% of positive critics while the new one has 3%.

I love checking Rotten Tomatoes for movie reviews. I don't put much stock on one critic opinion since my taste don't always fluctuate in the same directions as most, given my strong bias for the spy genre and for anything that has a sword in it. But if you gather the reviews of over 100 critics of different horizons and bias and the movie can't muster more than 30% of positive critics, there's something very wrong with it. 3% is abysmal. The number of movies that manage to score less than 10% is actually smaller than the number of movies above 90% (which does include action movies)! You have to do everything wrong (which that movie did, IMO) ; acting, scenario, directing, even the frigging the soundtrack.

---

Killing Glare is... not a very good avdenture. It is a essentially a contrived excuse to get players on a brawl site and use DMZ rule.

Urban Brawl is detailed in Shadowbeat, p.68.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012