Full Version: what do Security Riggers require
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Mensche
I dont have any Rigging sourcebooks.
what do security riggers use...?
Jrayjoker
Buildings. wink.gif
Herald of Verjigorm
First, you need a building designed to be rigged, then the rigger plugs his datajack into the control lines. The same VCR that helps with bikes will help with the building security and local drone networks.
Bigity
I think there is a CCSS (closed-circuit simsense) module that you need on the RCD, or is that for deckers who want to hack into a rigged building?
Mensche
yeah...I that's what I was thinking...I thought I heard sumthin bout a SIMRIG or something like that...
cuz I figured all the building needs is a Sensor rating, right? That's all he/she needs to 'feel' the building, right?
And the Rigger needs a datajack to plug into the camera network like a decker would, basically...correct?
Bigity
A security rigger uses the same gear as a regular rigger, a VCR and a RCD. The building has to have the stuff built in, and I don't believe there are really any specific rules about building rules or anything.

Deckers who want to jack into the security of the building have to have a module (program) to allow them to deck the security system (in captain's chair mode).
Mensche
so...to outift a car with VCR gear it cots 2500 Y... scaled up to a building...25,000Y?
Crimson Jack
what do Security Riggers require

A comfy chair, a dark room and a sack of potato chips. biggrin.gif
BaronJ
The information on how to outfit a Building for CCSS is in SOTA:63, as I recall.

The information on how a rigged building works is in Rigger 3, and you need a VCR installed in the Rigger, and (the most effective) is to have a really l33t RCD hard-wired into the control lines. Remember the rules on how many drone an RCD can handle per rating-point (something like 2:1), so if you're going to have 10 cameras/sensors per floor, I'd guess that each sensor is .25 of a drone, that's a rating 4 RCD for one floor. make that a 3-storey building, and that's an RCD of Rating 12: quite spendy!

This isn't something for a corporation to install lightly, but the savings in physical presence is immense. Add in some robotic/drone security responders, and you've saved a fortune in survivor's benefits (which you used to buy the system). Harden the access points (don't give every mook a chance to jack in and subvert the CCCS system), and your system is impervious to physical penetration; ward the sec-rigger's room, and he's safe from magical intereference. So for the tidy sum of QuiteAlot, two men can keep your facility safe and secure. Just remember that with two men being all the lines of defence you have, you might be in for some serious security breaches should both men fall, leaving your multi-million nuyen facility open for the taking.

Usually, when I use CCSS, I implement it as a beefed-up, non-Matrix security-monitoring system with powerful drone-powered backup. Use as you see fit.

BaronJ
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Crimson Jack)
what do Security Riggers require

A comfy chair, a dark room and a sack of potato chips. biggrin.gif

Nah. You just need to hook a line of Mountain Dew up to a vein.
ShortBusFury
Each camera/sensor would probably not be considered a drone. Smartfire weapons turrets are also not drones. Considering that you're average RCD6 can manage 12 drones, you'd have quite a few roaming security drones to keep watch on the areas that you don't have sensors already installed. Most low level security buildings (apartments, parking garage, shopping mall, etc.) probably wouldn't have any armed drones or only 1-2 at the very most. Moderatley secured areas would probably be half-and-half surveillance and armed drones. Heavily secured areas would most often be %100 armed and armored. Since buildings in Shadowrun can have an extensive number of floors, it would not be unlikely that multiple security riggers are on staff at the same time to handle the large area of coverage required.
=Spectre=
In most cases, the internal setup of a CCSS rigger room isn't much different from your average watch tower in a prison. Four to five riggers, one monitoring each of the systems or levels (but which can also take each other's palces if one of them happens to flatline for a while) keep watch. It keeps peopl from getting so focused on searching one thing that they forget to actually do the searching, and makes for a fairly coordinated system.

One Rigger runs the guns and security drones around the site.

One Rigger runs the cameras and pipes feeds and locations to the others of hotspots or suspected areas. That way there's less chance of a fake out attempt. The others scan the suspected spot, while the camera rigger keeps taht overall picture.

One rigger runs the elevators and locks, monitoring entry and exit times and elevator mass/weight readouts (a box of computer chips headed for the third floor shouldn't weight as much as a dwarf does smile.gif ) for suspect personel or breahces of security.

The last two function primarily as hot-seat riggers who back up the other three when things get hairy.

The team as a whole has access to any part or section of the system, but in a normal alert situation, the first three work the system to keep the opponents boxed in and bracketed. The last two drive drones to their location to take them out.
Nikoli
Um, iirc, riggers don't control access. So, while they can read that someone is int he elevator lobby and standing near the door, they don't have direct control over opening the door.

That's where the bulding matrix feed comes in.
My guess is:
The building, possibly on a floor by floor basis is treated like a drone. independant drones, mobile, track or fixed drones are all separate. possibly with multiple riggers to maximize the effectiveness. Also, cameras are unique in that they are both CCSS and Matrix linked, hence deckers and riggers can access them.
Wanna really screw with security forces, bring a jammer. Most of the systems use a proximity tag to ID employees and guards, granting access as they move. the cards are easily jammed and thus the building automated defenses now sense 20 some-odd unknowns walking around, and have been ID's as having firearms by the MADD scanners in the door jams.
Jrayjoker
If a rigger can pop open doors to the van, then I don't see there being any reason to restrict their control of the elevator doors. Why add another step to the security equation.

Rigger: Yo! Decker. We got some bogies in the elevator, can you jack in and lock the doors for me. Hey, where are you? We got a situation here.

Decker (coming in from a smoke break): Hey Joe, anything goin' on?
ShortBusFury
Rigger: Yo! Decker. We got some bogies in the elevator, can you jack in and lock the doors for me. Hey, where are you? We got a situation here.

Decker (coming in from a smoke break): Hey Joe, anything goin' on?

Hehe... I can sooooo see that happening in real life. If something ever *REALLY* went down for alot of security guards I've seen patrol my corporate building they would probably spaz out for about half a minute before reacting. In a prison you're kept on your toes because the inmates would always be applying pressure. But in a corporate facility you're very likely to have alot of bored guards who are doing other things to pass the time on their shift... Drone racing could be a pretty fun way to pass the time for alot of riggers... maybe use active sensor tests to play 'laser tag' with one another? cyber.gif
Jrayjoker
Or even timing the elevators to open just as a human patrol walks by.

Sec guard (walking down the hall): Whistle, whistle...

Elevator speaker: "Bong, 4th floor"

Sec guard: Dammit Louie, you almost made me piss!

Louie (over elevator speaker): Hee hee.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (ShortBusFury)
Considering that you're average RCD6 can manage 12 drones

Nope. It can have twelve on its subscriber list, but only six can be affiliated. To use an analogy, it's like a phone that can make six-way conference calls but hold twelve numbers on speed dial.

~J
ShortBusFury
Nope. It can have twelve on its subscriber list, but only six can be affiliated. To use an analogy, it's like a phone that can make six-way conference calls but hold twelve numbers on speed dial.

I know this. I have a main book too. nyahnyah.gif A drone continues to follow it's last given orders even when you disaffiliate it and the unafilliated drone is still able to radio in alerts to the security station as long as it's signal hasn't been jammed.
Kagetenshi
I suppose that's accurate, I'm just iffy about the term "manage". Similarly, if you drop drones off of your subscriber list, a Rating 1 RCD can manage infinite drones with only slightly less effectiveness.

~J
mfb
except that once they're off you're subscriber list, you can't put them back on without having physical access to the drone. at least, there's no "add drone to subscriber list" action that i know of.
Kagetenshi
CCSS tends to involve mostly hardwired connections, to my knowledge.

~J
ShortBusFury
I know this. I have a main book too.  nyahnyah.gif

Sorry for being an ass like that to ya' btw Kagetenshi... Reading back over that post, that seems kind of a mean retort I gave to your response. I've had my head in the message boards for so long that I'm starting to sound like the rest of the internet's rude and emotionally desensitized masses. embarrassed.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012