Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Contacts that roll
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
James McMurray
How do the contact rules work for seeing if your contact rolls over on you under pressure? The rules say that a friend for life makes an opposed willpower (6) roll. What is the 6 for? Not all contacts have a 6 willpower, and opposed rolls use the opponent's rating for the target number.
Hopsnbaer
They are contacts dude you pay them for information. If after you have gone to see gondor the bartender. Gizmo the mage comes to him, and throws down some cash, and says "who's been asking about Sonny Chiba." There is no roll for him to roll on you. he takes the cash and says "Dopey the shadow runner been askin".

There is no reason for him not to spread gossip. He hopefully did it for you.
Crimsondude 2.0
The contact rolls against 6 to give you up.
Adam
They are contacts dude you pay them for information. If after you have gone to see gondor the bartender. Gizmo the mage comes to him, and throws down some cash, and says "who's been asking about Sonny Chiba." There is no roll for him to roll on you. he takes the cash and says "Dopey the shadow runner been askin".

You don't understand the question -- this isn't about the player character getting information from a contact, it's about someone else being able to "shake down" that contac to get information about the player character.

James - I think it's an ambiguous situation, as we don't know what kind of "shake down" the situation would be ... whether it's interrogation, or intimidation, or even just trying to sleaze information via an etiquette test. I'd just make the tests as normal, with appropriate modifiers if the contact is Level 3/Friend for Life.
Hopsnbaer
I do understand the question. contacts are not your friends they are not your buddies they are just people you know. They have no reason not to give up information on the player characters. If someone offers them some money they will give it up.

For example you just asked about bob the troll, and your contact told you he hangs out at the totentanz. Maybe Bob the troll or one of his friends comes by later and askes if anyone has been asking around about him. Your contact has no reason not to say Joe the PC was just asking.

don't forget other people use your contacts as well.

If the contact was a buddy or a friend for life that is another story
Adam
The original post did specify that it was a FFL; the rules differ for Level 1 or 2 contacts - pp 253-254, SR3.
Hopsnbaer
you are right I read the post quick and it seemed he was applying the FFL rule to all contacts, or asking how level 1 or 2 contacts will roll over.
Kagetenshi
Level 2 contacts don't roll over too quick either. Neither, for that matter, do level 1, but that's because they have to make an Intelligence test to even remember you.

~J
DocMortand
In my game Level 1s tend to disappear/crack if the hammer falls, Level 2s have to roll dice to see if they crack, but usually they tough it out, Level 3s try to warn you that the hammer is falling.

But here again, that's my interpretation. Canon rules may say differently.
James McMurray
The contact rolls against 6 to give you up.

If that's true, you're better off having a level 2 contact, because their opposed check is given as willpower (5).

James - I think it's an ambiguous situation, as we don't know what kind of "shake down" the situation would be ... whether it's interrogation, or intimidation, or even just trying to sleaze information via an etiquette test. I'd just make the tests as normal, with appropriate modifiers if the contact is Level 3/Friend for Life.

That makes perfect sense, and is how I'll do it, but it doesn't explain why they phrased the rules like that. Ah well, I guess its just a mystery for the ages. smile.gif
Tarantula
As far as I can tell, the way it seems to imply is that, the contact knows someone is asking about you. Level ones need to make a test to remember you, and if they can remember you, they will give you up to someone asking. 2 & 3 have rolls to determine if they will give you up for whatever the person is offering (whether lack of pain (torture), possible lack of suffering (intimidation), or money (etiquette)).

Basically, the contact knows someone is getting info about you, and its if he's willing to give up that info like he would with just some dude hes seen. Same price/difficulty of getting the info, unless he succeeds his check, in which he won't release it at all.

James McMurray
Right, it isn't what is happening that's confusing, its how do you roll it out.

As far as I know that's the only part in the rules that says "make an opposed attribute (TN) roll." That's just not how opposed rolls are done.

And if the TN is supposed to be the skill to roll against, level 2 contacts avoid turning you in more than level 3 contacts.
Jrayjoker
If you instead assume the 6 is a TN to allow them to roll on you your problem goes away.
ES_Riddle
QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
If you instead assume the 6 is a TN to allow them to roll on you your problem goes away.

That is what I would assume, as well. When it comes to selling you out, your FFL has an effective willpower of 6, even if he is a big dumb troll bartender.
Jrayjoker
And of course they resist with their own WP versus the appropriate skill being used on them.
ShortBusFury
I noticed the TN#s were skewed myself. The TN#5 for Level 2 and the TN#6 for Level 3 could likely be misprinted and need errata. So a level 3 is more likely to roll on you than a Level 2. I'd poke FanPro for clarification.
James McMurray
I've already asked, but theuir FAQ says to try here, so I did. smile.gif

jray: What do you mean 6 is the target number to allow them to roll on you, and that they resist with their willpower vs. the appropriate skill? those seem to be two seperate routes (an opposed test and a standard test).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012