Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Centaur Poll
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Crimson Jack
Nothing really to post here, except this.

biggrin.gif
DocMortand
dirty dirty boy.

Gah...in SR centaurs are born to be targets...I would think the only place a centaur would have a chance of surviving is in deep forests or on uninhabited plains. WAY to big a target, definately a pain for manuevering in tight corners...

But what am I saying? Dirty dirty boy....

Unicorns, on the other hand...are great for the glue factory. (ducks and covers)
Sandoval Smith
You know, I thought that the price mods for Troll and Dwarf gear, although I'd pay hella good nuyen to see a centaur adapted motorcycle.
Nikoli
Nah, i don't see them becoming anything other than a novelty anywhere outside of the Tir's. Their signature would be on par if not slightly worse than a troll, and that's before you add cyber. The only benefit is you'd have one hechuva heavy weapons platform in a character like that, which would drastically shorten their lifespan, even given the lack of stealth and the propensity to be mistaken for walking steak in certain parts of the sprawl.
Jrayjoker
I'd definitely play a centaur, but only with cyber replacement hoof skates and a sidecar.
U_Fester
QUOTE (DocMortand)
Unicorns, on the other hand...are great for the glue factory.

Agreed. They are used to make Super-Super Glue.
nezumi
Oh yeah, I was reading the DotSW and saw that one of the board members for the Draco Foundation is a centaur. I was profoundly disturbed.
James McMurray
In D&D I'd play a centaur, but in shadowrun you'd be cutting your own throat. You can't go into most buildings, and if you can go in, you can't really turn corners fast enough to take part in a chase. Sure, you're strong as hell and twice as fast, but good luck climbing a rope to the roof of a building so you can go in the quiet way.

A large portion of the time you pretty much have to walk up to the front door and ask the security gaurd if he'll let you in, pretty please?

If the campaign were not a standard one (perhaps mercs in the rural parts of the world) then I'd think about it.
Canid13
Why the binary poll? Never heard of 'depends on if I can make a cool char concept'? :o)

I might consider it, if I could be bothered.
Jrayjoker
I'd make an argument for a Centaur drone rigger or decker. They don't need to be in the heat of the action physically, and if they are made who is going to believe that a horse can deck?
James McMurray
QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
I'd make an argument for a Centaur drone rigger or decker. They don't need to be in the heat of the action physically, and if they are made who is going to believe that a horse can deck?

The guy that sees the datajack and watches his cyberware sensors detect a VCR? smile.gif
Jrayjoker
And while he shakes his head, I'll mule-kick him into orbit.
Nikoli
And, imagine all the off line storage you can carry as a centaur decker
Jrayjoker
I like the idea of a full cybertorso with a field hospital inside.
Jrayjoker
How many hardpoints could you get on a Centaur? I think a troll modified bike can get 1 or 2.
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (Canid13)
Why the binary poll? Never heard of 'depends on if I can make a cool char concept'? :o)

I might consider it, if I could be bothered.

I didn't put too much thought into it, truth be told. It just sounded humorous to discuss. wink.gif
mfb
eh. who wants to play a half-chimp?
Jrayjoker
Which half?

Seriously.

spin.gif
mfb
if you're playing a centaur, the top half. in SR, as i recall, centaurs are half-horse, half-monkey.
U_Fester
In the Animals of Eruope is states that they resemble primates.
Jrayjoker
And so do Formorian Trolls.
mfb
indeed. primate generally = monkey. or ape, or gorilla, or whatnot. as i recall, the pic in PAoE resembled an ape or monkey more than it did a human.
Kanada Ten
I've always been happy with Prescott's vision of them over anykind of half monkey.
mfb
heh. that guy looks like a half horse, half kobold. i don't think kobolds are technically primates, though, being more lizard-like than monkey-like.
Kanada Ten
I thought it looked like a horse with a donkey head and burrly arms.
Moonstone Spider
Personally I'm not sure I would want to play a Centaur, I'd have to see the stats on it. But I would like to have the option. In fact I think the rules should allow players to be every single intelligent race including Free Spirits, Centaurs, Vampires, Blackberry cats, and even Dragons assuming the Player wants to spend 90 of his build points for the race slot. More options cannot help but improve gameplay.
Daishi
Finally, a stable heavy weapons platform as a character. Armor mods would be painful, that's for sure, but hand me that HMG and let's roll!
mfb
check out the DiTerlizzi version of kobolds, from the AD&D 2e MM. prescott's centaur head looks just like that kobold's. (what's really hilarious is, tony d looks like someone tony d would draw. seriously, give him a sword and a crazy hat, and he could pose for Planescape 3.5e.)

i disagree that more options will improve gameplay. more options means more stuff that you have to try and balance against the rest of the stuff, which gets exponentially harder the more options you have. games that constantly add more options very often fall into the "latest and greatest" trap, where each new option is more kewl and powerful than the last.
Moonstone Spider
That didn't happen to Shapeshifters and Ghouls, if anything they're the very weakest type of character in the game. And Otaku aren't miracle workers either. Nor are the Metavariants, who are frequently much weaker than the base types. Historically in Shadowrun there isn't any latest and greatest, there's just new more overwhelming powers for the people already there.

Besides, Shadowrun isn't all that balanced anyway, Dumpshock's arguments about the power of magic and price of elves tends to show that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012