Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why do so many people care about Seatle?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Cynic project
I really want to know.

I mean, one the US,and later the UCAS was happy at letting huge ports go all around the map. Some of them are bigger than Seattle, these mainly being on the eastern side. But hey the US and the UCAS need a foot hold in the pacific. So Seattle is a great place,right? I mean it is only one city with boarders to a somewhat hostile nation.And just about ever part of it is within range of tank fire from said nation. But The papacifics a great big market, and to get to the large and relatively well protected ports in CaCaliforniawould mean that Us/UCAS good would have to go threw the NAN lands.... But enough about that. It is rather silly.

Now,let's talk about the Tir. They made Seattle their main port, rather than PORTLAND, because they sseeminglylike to pay ttariffsand let outsides sources have a larger voice how ,what and when they get their ssupplies

Then you have the corps. Who wish to put many vvaluableassets in one area, that they do not fully control. I mean that the corps do rule the city, but not threw one of them, so it is not Ares,or SK who is charge, but rather the snorm.

So, is there any reason why Seattle is so big? I mean, Denver could be big, with the treaty stuff. But Seatle just seems to be a fanboy's wet dream.
kevyn668
Probably because Seattle is where FASA decided to set the game Shadowrun™. smile.gif
Cynic project
And I know this, but it is rather bothersome for people who do not play in Seattle. I mean, I love Blood in the Boardroom..Until I saw that they felt the need to talk about city level power players in Seattle, for like every one of the Megas.

It is as if the head of Ares CAS, wouldn't be worth talking about..But Seattle..Boy that is pure gold.
bitrunner
Well, Portland really isn't a "port"...you have to travel for a day along the Columbia river...sure, they have major shipyards there, but i don't think it sees near the traffic of Seattle/Tacoma...also, there is more of a "megacorp" presence in Seattle, even today - Boeing takes up huge areas, and then there are other defense contractors as well, plus throw in Microsoft and all the other software giants that congregate around them...also, from a cultural standpoint, Seattle is very diverse - and there is the Underground to consider...

i think just the fact of the weather and the perceived gloominess of the city lends itself more to SR also...

about the only other city i see that may have otherwise fit the bill is San Francisco...
Aku
yes, i can so see San Fran, the REAL city of "brotherly" love, rainbow crowds, and other gay pride rallies fitting in very well with the doom and gloom of SR....

ps. not that i have anything against gay pride, or any other kind of pride, but that is what i know san fran for being, not something sr'ish.. hell, i'd put Pittsburgh above San fran in the doom an gloom category...
CountZero
Well, there has been some consideration in the news (albeit briefly) of turning Astoria into a shipping port in place of Portland.
FrostyNSO
Lets not forget the Seattle music scene. Perfect for "Rocker" runs. eek.gif
Arethusa
QUOTE (Aku @ Jan 22 2005, 09:32 PM)
yes, i can so see San Fran, the REAL city of "brotherly" love, rainbow crowds, and other gay pride rallies fitting in very well with the doom and gloom of SR....

ps. not that i have anything against gay pride, or any other kind of pride, but that is what i know san fran for being, not something sr'ish.. hell, i'd put Pittsburgh above San fran in the doom an gloom category...

Nothing against white pride, eh?

On a slightly more serious note, SF may not be a city with much bleak idiom to be found, but it's not all dancing fags and rainbow parades. That's really a pretty unfair stereotype to just about everyone who lives there. Yes, there is a large, outspoken gay community there, and yes, you are likely to see samesex couples holding hands in public if you drive through, but it's not like verything's painted pink cocks and rainbows. As I recall, Bullitt was filmed there, after all.

Still, that said, hardly a dark enough city to accommodate cyberpunk in any broad form (though there are some very nice urban vistas). All other comments aside, it really is too clean and friendly.
Fix-it
Because they had to nuke chicago, that's why.
bitrunner
well, i see SF (and i'm talking the greater area, probably SF and Oakland combined) as follows:

* major transportation/shipping area
* together with Oakland, Monterey, and surrounding area that would be a sprawl by 2050, you have pretty much the same makeup of military, corporate, wealthy, and downtrodden areas as does the seattle sprawl.
* also a center for technology and industry - if you haven't driven around the SF airport area, it is a who's who in technology companies today
* along with above, don't forget silicon valley
* plenty of military bases
* support of said military bases by military/industrial complex
* there is just as much a music/art scene in SF as Seattle...
* and there is a huge cross section of nationalities in the SF area

to be honest, i spent a couple of days in SF once, and went walking around in an area of town i didn't belong - just two blocks from a major shopping and tourist area, looking for a gaming/book store actually, and there were barbwire fences around the small parking lots, newspapers blowing around, fires in 55-gal drums, and a bunch of people walking around with their collars up and wool caps down to where it was hard to make out their faces - i SWEAR i heard a pistol shot as i got myself back around the corner where i belonged...

gay pride rallies?? hell no...i thought i was gonna get mugged any minute!

you know, to be honest, the whole time i was in SF area, downtown, riding the trolley cars, and along the whole pier area (from the America's Cup team sailboat exhibit down to the market, seals, and Ghiradelli (sp?) factory), i never once saw an openly gay couple (holding hands, etc)

kevyn668
I got one: maybe Seattle was picked b/c it rains so much. It hard to have a "gritty" game in a city where its sunny and beautiful everyday.
Slamm-O
ive lived in the bay area my entire life, and i think it would have done nicely. Youd have to have san fran as 'downtown' then san jose as the corporate/commercial area, and oakland as the z-zoneish area. I know my group has played there the few times we didnt run in seattle. Seattle is perfect because it is on the edge, i dont know how to justify it briefly (bitrunner gave a good rundown), but i know for me and all the folks ive ever played with the books made us believe it made sense.

also portland doesnt take in any cargo containers anymore just grain and cars (as i remember reading in the columbian), and after the nan takes over i doubt any dredging takes place, making unable (like in modern times) to compete with la and seattle. Though i also think those introverted elves would make it their port, but who knows why they didnt, they arent human they think differently.

edit: biyrunner is right, for one it is a plex nowadays, im from san jose and when go 'into town' for a friday night its over to sf, and i remember when a friend was in a free clinic over on 7th street when i went to see him there was a guy in broad daylight carrying a b+e tool (slim jim?) and carrying several car stereos by thewires. Also the elementary school a couple buildings down looked abandoned with its 10' fence with barbed wire on top, but i dont think it was (i remember the school sign having up to date events on it). Also you have bums up and down the street sleeping.

sf has gays sure, they are mainly in castro, and it also has tons of bums and junkies.
CanvasBack
QUOTE (Arethusa)

As I recall, Bullitt was filmed there, after all.

Still, that said, hardly a dark enough city to accommodate cyberpunk in any broad form (though there are some very nice urban vistas).  All other comments aside, it really is too clean and friendly.

You come up with Bullitt but don't remember the Dirty Harry movies?!?!

I guess on the face of it, San Fran wouldn't seem all that dark and brooding but there's enough crime and grit to go around. Then of course, if you buy into the whole Japanese Occupation/Saito's Protectorate sub-plot you have the makings of a classic foreign fascist regime vs. romantic resitance movement in a setting that includes... Berkley! Sounds like it could be pretty exciting to me.

To the original question... Why Seattle? Why not? It was all arbitrary anyway. With the rest of the West Coast either seceding, joining NAN, or becoming the Tir, that was the last option for a UCAS port in the West Coast and incidentally the place where many of the so-called "Anglos" relocated after the Treaty of Denver. Remember the Seattle Metroplex is not simply the original city of Seattle, but a bunch of smaller cities and suburbs that ringed it and a military base.
Adam
QUOTE (kevyn668)
I got one: maybe Seattle was picked b/c it rains so much. It hard to have a "gritty" game in a city where its sunny and beautiful everyday.

My understanding is Seattle was picked as the prime setting back in '89 because, at that time, Seattle did not have a big "image" to the rest of the world ... it was a relative clean slate.

Then Nirvana came along and fucked that up. smile.gif
Arethusa
I'm not saying SF's too clean for any cyberpunk. As a couple people pointe dout, it has its share of nastay areas. I'm just saying that overall, it's too clean and friendly relative to a lot of more viable cities for dystopia. New York, for example, has an idiom SF simply cannot match.

Also, believe it or not, I've never seen Bullitt or the Dirty Harry movies. Though I must admit I only have interest in the former.
akarenti
USA/UCAS wants Seattle because that is the only west coast port with ballistic missile submarines, not to mention the only west coast port with facilities to put a air craft carrier in drydock for overhauls/repairs. The Washington ports are a lot more important than the California ports for those reasons; if the UCAS wants to maintain a naval presense in the Pacific, they need the Brimmerton and Everett bases.

Also, its close to Russia, so you get the a lot of arms smuggling from the USSR, plus it's PacRim, so it makes sense for the Japanacorps and PPG to have a strong presense, plus theres volcanos, dreary weather, nearby wilderness and mountains (also good for smuggling, as well as convienient for some shaman characters). And, as its been said before, it's a lot easier to picture a dystopic world in Seattle than in sunny Cali.

Arethusa
I'm not sure I can agree with that last point. Dystopia may not suit a lot of Cali, but LA can be pretty damn gritty and very dystopic.
akarenti
QUOTE (Arethusa)
I'm not sure I can agree with that last point. Dystopia may not suit a lot of Cali, but LA can be pretty damn gritty and very dystopic.

I'll concede that. I've never been to LA (well, outside of an airport anyway), but I'm sure a good portion of it would lend well to Shadowrun (and the current "taken over by Pueblo, toxic spirits of man sponteniously manifesting" plotlines going on there are pretty interesting).

If I lived in LA (or any major city, for that matter) I would probably go ahead and set my SR game there. One of the best things about SR is that it seems familiar (even with cyber and magic, there's still a lot of real world things in the setting to identify with). It's helpful to have as much reality as possible to build on. Makes a GM's life a lot easier.
Gyro the Greek Sandwich Pirate
As far as people saying that California can be gritty, I think the main point is the fact that they have to protest that it is.

In roleplaying especially, perception can be a lot more important than the reality. If the common perception of Seattle is that it rains and is gloomy, it's a lot easier to say, "You're in Seattle" and for people to visualize gloom, than to say, "You're in San Fransisco" and spend a couple minutes explaining the gloom that they should be visualizing.

I'm just saying this in general, from a "I'm trying to sell roleplaying books to lots of people all over the place" point of view.
Paul
QUOTE (Adam)
QUOTE (kevyn668 @ Jan 22 2005, 10:46 PM)

My understanding is Seattle was picked as the prime setting back in '89 because, at that time, Seattle did not have a big "image" to the rest of the world ... it was a relative clean slate.

Then Nirvana came along and fucked that up. smile.gif

I always forget Nirvana came along afterwards. I always thought it was in part because of Queensryche and Operation Mindcrime.

Look in the first edition book and see their stuff everywhere. Well okay in alot of place.

I always thought, and again this may be just as wrong as everything else I said, Seattle was the center of the up and coming grunge movement, and thats why.

Bu that whole clean slate thing is cool too! smile.gif
Mr.Sinister
Well, Seattle was (not sure if it still is) the suicide capitol of the world. Maybe all that "negative energy" can have an expanded effect over time to encompass an entire city?
Cynic project
Well, seattle, is not the only port that can do anything. It is not much bigger than the ports in the middle or south of california. It doesn't have any bigger military presence than either of the major ports. And San Diego,people.

And yes,Seattle maybe a huge city.It may well grow up to be something akin to what say LA, or Oakland is. but as it is now,and the forceable future, just about any major city I can think of in California is as big as Seattle,and within an hours drive of another city just as big. In the "Bay area" You have San Jose, San Fran, Oakland, Sac town... LA county is just well 9,871,506 to Washington's 6,131,445, and Seattle's(City) 563,374.

By the way when people think of LA, they tend to think of the county,and not the city. The Cities are molded into one big blob.

Again, this not really only about the UCAS. I mean the japanese seem to think that they need to play on a level playing field in the north,when they could basically go to San Fran,and make their own rules. Aztlan owning San Diego, alones gives them a foot hold in the pacific. Then all the forgien nations putting up emdasies in it.

My point is this Seattle seems to be a second tir city compared to the things that UCAS gave up.and to what other powers are ignoring.

Paul
Well keep in mind the concept behind the game is that theyhad little choice. IT wasn't like the USA wanted to lose the Ghost Dance war, or sign the Treaty of Denver. It wasn't something they were shooting for.

It was forced on them.
Nessin
QUOTE (Cynic project)
Well, seattle, is not the only port that can do anything. It is not much bigger than the ports in the middle or south of california. It doesn't have any bigger military presence than either of the major ports. And San Diego,people.

And yes,Seattle maybe a huge city.It may well grow up to be something akin to what say LA, or Oakland is. but as it is now,and the forceable future, just about any major city I can think of in California is as big as Seattle,and within an hours drive of another city just as big. In the "Bay area" You have San Jose, San Fran, Oakland, Sac town... LA county is just well 9,871,506 to Washington's 6,131,445, and Seattle's(City) 563,374.

By the way when people think of LA, they tend to think of the county,and not the city. The Cities are molded into one big blob.

Again, this not really only about the UCAS. I mean the japanese seem to think that they need to play on a level playing field in the north,when they could basically go to San Fran,and make their own rules. Aztlan owning San Diego, alones gives them a foot hold in the pacific. Then all the forgien nations putting up emdasies in it.

My point is this Seattle seems to be a second tir city compared to the things that UCAS gave up.and to what other powers are ignoring.

Seattle has a lot more going for it than just port size. Coming from a Military standpoint, and given the background of Shadworun that's I've read so far, I'd say Seattle was chosen due to the heat it generates on the world as a whole. The Puget Sound area is on the Top 5 targets to hit if you decide to launch a nuke or start World War Three.

As for other aspects, Seattle is commonly seen as a major city, especially comparied with Los Angeles, Chicago, New York, etc... all of which have a major backing in some other field (New York and Comics anyone?). Seattle is realtively untapped, and as already mentioned, it's a huge source for corporate backgrounds.
Jrayjoker
Plus it sets up the need for shadows quite nicely. Isolated city state in a newly magical land....Mmmmm the possibilities are endless.
Wounded Ronin
I just go with Seattle because I'm afraid that if I take the game to another location I'll accidentally violate canon material written about it and thus render my campaign null and void.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Cynic project)
I really want to know.

If they would have picked any other city, then we'd be having the same conversation about, "Why did they pick X". They chose Seattle for their own reasons but what does it really matter? It could be any city, make up your own items to fit your needs.

Personally, I think they wanted some notable city that was less well known with a monument (The Space Needle) and some connections to some of the underlying Shamanic roots SR has. They could have easily used any other city/state in the west. I'd also suspect that with the birth of Grunge music becomming more and more popular, maybe they wanted to capitalize on some of that.

It's minor IMO.
KeyMasterOfGozer
QUOTE (Cynic project)

Since California Succeeded, those larger port cities (San Diego, LA, SF) were just not available. That left only the one big port city on the West coast to scramble for.

Like Paul said, the UCAS didn't win the lottery and dicide to take Seattle over the other West Coast cities. The Great Ghost Dance happened and that was what they were left with when the dust settled.

As to why the Authors chose Seattle, It's only a guess, but perhaps that is where they are from, and they decided to create this Arbitrary Future for there own city.
Paul
I'm sorry, but its no guess. What Adam said is the reason why. He's probably the most in the know person on here, as far as this thread goes. (Being the SR Webmaster, and friends with the line developer will do that. Bastard!:) )
Cynic project
QUOTE (KeyMasterOfGozer)
Since California Succeeded, those larger port cities (San Diego, LA, SF) were just not available. That left only the one big port city on the West coast to scramble for.

Like Paul said, the UCAS didn't win the lottery and dicide to take Seattle over the other West Coast cities. The Great Ghost Dance happened and that was what they were left with when the dust settled.

Um, wrong. They were threatening to do so. THey didn't do so. They were kicked out. It wasn't that the UCAS didn't fight it,it was that UCAS actively took part in losing that land. Further more the CFS was formed in the 30's.. At least a few years after the GGD.

And really my point is not that you couldn't set the game in Seatle. It is that Seatle shouldn't be the center of the world. The starting and default city doesn't have to be the biggest city evah. You could simply have this city be the default and there you go.
mfb
the fact that the US kicked cali out of the union doesn't change the fact that the US lost access to the cali ports.

and Seattle isn't the biggest city in the world. Metropole is. Seattle is just the one that all of the game material focuses on; that doesn't necessarily mean that it's the most important city in the world, or anything.
RedmondLarry
In my game, I tell new players that the Indians didn't want Seattle because it was too polluted. They forced the UCAS to keep it. I feel this produces the right feel to the game.
Cynic project
MFB, wrong kind of big. The kind of big I am refering to is the amount of resources and interest being put onto that city by the powers that be.

Also note that Seattle is futher,and over more nations from the US/UCAS than CAliforina is. But again it is not wholey about the morons in DeeCee. It is also about the suits down in Mexico.I mean Aztlan, or Japan.
Kanada Ten
Seattle would be the UCAS launching point for any attempt to recover NAN lands or the CFS, which is why it's watched so closely.

If your suggesting that Aztechnology and the Japanacorps are spending more on Seattle than elsewhere, I think you have a perspective problem. SR3 mentions that Japan has developed much of the Third World; compared to their meger assets in Seattle look at Tsimshian, Kiliminjaro, Eastern Europe, and Southeast Asia. Aztechnology had far more invested in Denver than Seattle, not to mention their Spain assests and South American conflicts.

The idea is that the thing happening in Seattle are going on everywhere. Seattle is just the archetype city.
Cynic project
But the US/UCAS fought tooth and nail for it before they needed a staging ground to retake California.... And I I would think that California would make a much better staging ground to take the NAN,than Seattle.
Kanada Ten
When you go back and read NAG2RL, there was heavy political antagonism between Cali and the UCAS, and debates that raged between going on without California used the same moronic rational used to lock up all natives in concentration camps. Seriously, you have to accept that SR has politicians making horrible decisions for a 50 year period. Lucky that a few strategists figured out we needed to keep a Western port at all.
thepatriot
QUOTE (Paul)
I'm sorry, but its no guess. What Adam said is the reason why. He's probably the most in the know person on here, as far as this thread goes. (Being the SR Webmaster, and friends with the line developer will do that. Bastard!:) )

Little bit of jealousy there, Paul?

For my 0.02 nuyen.gif , I'm glad they chose it. I grew up in L.A, so many of my earlier games were set in L.A. and it's environs. Now that I've seen Seattle and lived there for a time, I find it both quaint as well as gritty... PERFECT for the genre at hand. Were events to unfold in the way the game designers had them unfold, I think Seattle would become a hub regardless of who owned it.

If you need data on Seattle to make your games more believable and homey, I recommend Microsoft's Trips and Maps program (packaged with Encarta in the MS Works '04 box set). It gives locations for hotels and restaurants, as well as sights to see. Armed with such knowledge, pics and other data off the net can prove invaluable for creating settings. This program will also let you manipulate and save your own locations. I have included all known SR locations in a special file and often use this program in my games.

No, I do not work for Microsoft... I'm a soldier in the US Army.

Yes, we play a lot of SR and D&D while on deployments smile.gif It ain't easy luggin all those books around, either.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (thepatriot)
Little bit of jealousy there, Paul?

More like taking the piss. Note the smilie- even if he did run it onto the back of the Bastard so it didn't activate as it were. smile.gif
Paul
Heh, I am jealous in a way, but he earned it-I didn't. I wish I had the benefit of his circumstances, but I am fine with it. Really I am. No honest. I am absolutely not planning on asassinating Adam. Not even a little. Not even once. No honest....biggrin.gif

I must haved typo'ed the smilie. I have horrible typing skills. 'Orrible! smile.gif
thepatriot
<--- Loving this smile.gif

(If y'all knew the way Paul and I used to 'round and 'round with Adam and Pistons on the old forums, you'd know a bit about this.)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012