Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [ShadowsOfEurope] Shadowrun Wiki
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
audun
http://wiki.dumpshock.com/index.php/Main_Page

The Sixth World Wiki is heavily outdated on Europe since it is simply forked from Wordman's Sixth World site. Go on and edit.
MYST1C
As I've already started to iron out some minor mistakes in the AGS entry I have a question:
Is Deutschland in den Schatten II (German only) considered canon or not?
Furthermore, is the wiki limited to canon material? What about novels?
mattness pl
QUOTE (M¥$T1C)
As I've already started to iron out some minor mistakes in the AGS entry I have a question:

... And fan - made materials? smile.gif (Scandinavis e-book for example)
Synner
DidS2 material is considered canon unless openly contradicted by American (SoE) or more recent German source material (ie. B:ADL). Although there are a few minor inconsistencies remaining, several US and German freelancers have been actively working to bring the two backgrounds more in line with each other. You will notive that recent stuff like B:ADL actually complements and adds to American material (ie. SOTA64's magic paradigms and schools as applies to Germany gets ample detail in B:ADL).
audun
QUOTE (mattness pl)
QUOTE (M¥$T1C @ Jan 24 2005, 07:35 PM)

... And fan - made materials? smile.gif (Scandinavis e-book for example)

As the wiki shouln't contain copyrighted material (only links and where too find more info), I suppose most of it has to be fan-material. Though I personally wouldn't like it to stray too far of from canon material. If the wiki is to be of any use it shouldn't contradict canon, at least not without clearly saying so. The way we worked with the EuroSB (i.e. always keeping consistency with published material even when it was stupid) should be something of a guideline IMHO.
Novels, yes!

What Scandinavian e-book are you refering too?
mattness pl
Scandinavian Sourcebook
audun
QUOTE (mattness pl)
Scandinavian Sourcebook

That one is definetly out IMO. It's way off from canon. We even did ask him at one point to be involved with the EuroSB, but he said no, so he had his chance. It is indeed a link to it from the Wiki now, which I marked as non-canon. It's one of the reason I wanted people to update it.
FlakJacket
As far as I know, I believe the general idea was to keep it as canon a reference as possible.
Adam
As the wiki shouln't contain copyrighted material (only links and where too find more info), I suppose most of it has to be fan-material. Though I personally wouldn't like it to stray too far of from canon material. If the wiki is to be of any use it shouldn't contradict canon, at least not without clearly saying so

Correct. The Sixth World Wiki is _not_ currently a place for fan-publications, but an encyclopedia about the canon Sixth World.
MYST1C
I just finished rewrititing the "geography" section of the AGS entry.

As I don't own Brennpunkt: ADL yet my writing is based on Shadows of Europe and Deutschland in den Schatten II.

Opinions?
Crimsondude 2.0
Looks fine.

And I emphatically agree with audun to stay away from that thing.

And if you think it's bad just sitting there, static, I had a PC in a game Viking GMed that was set in his ScanFed Union.

Cheesy does not even begin to describe it. Stupid, either.
mattness pl
QUOTE (Adam)
Correct. The Sixth World Wiki is _not_ currently a place for fan-publications, but an encyclopedia about the canon Sixth World.

To which point? How much information I can put for example about Poland from SoE?
mattness pl
Gosh. I'm so lame frown.gif
Could anybody put this into Poland section?
http://www.shadowrun.pro24.pl/matt/wykres-eng.jpg
Thanks
torzzzzz
My god thanks for the link....... how did you find it?

torz x
mattness pl
I made it smile.gif
torzzzzz
COOL!

torz x smile.gif
hermit
Well, I sent hahnsoo my compilation of stuff for Azania, I hope it'll be enough to enrich the article there.

Will try and compile something right after having read DidS 2 (Germany SB's never translated - and supposedly, much better - successor) so everyone gets to know the changes.
Ghost_dk
As the new guy on the block(but with most books ever published on shadowrun on my shelf) id like to help out here. I'll take a shot at it and try to help out whereever i can. If there is any special areas you would like me to have a look at just let me know.

Ghost_dk
MYST1C
QUOTE (hermit)
Will try and compile something right after having read DidS 2 (Germany SB's never translated - and supposedly, much better - successor) so everyone gets to know the changes.

Actually, I've already started to post information regarding the AGS, German corporations etc. based on DidS2.
Unfortunately, I don't own the most recent Germany-book (Brennpunkt: ADL).

Any help is welcome!
hermit
Hmmm ... I don't know whether I want to get that one ... well, I could buy it and sell it on ebay!

Will think about it. But am short of cash and time these days.
Grinder
I have b:adl, but i'm horrbily short of time. Should either stop sleeping (five hours a day more for activities other than sleeping!) or working (but how will money flow in?). nyahnyah.gif
I was going through the Wiki and the there are Halflings, where is that originally from?
Adam
If you have a question about a specific entry on the Sixth World Wiki, you're probably best off posting your question on the "Discussion" page that is attached to each entry.
Bullet Raven
I want to know where the line between giving enough info for the wiki and infringing copyright is.

I'd be perfectly happy to write bits about anything I have if I could do it without recieving an arsekicking OR worse, do it and have it deleted, what a waste of time!

smile.gif
Fortune
Writing a synopsis in your own words should be fine. Just copying things straight out of the book(s) is not.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Bullet Raven)
I'd be perfectly happy to write bits about anything I have if I could do it without recieving an arsekicking OR worse, do it and have it deleted, what a waste of time!

The point of a wiki is that anyone can come in and revise your work. But you can do the same to others. However, all wikis have version control software so that no revision is truly "lost". If someone comes in and deletes your work, you or someone else simply comes in and reverts back to the last known "good" page revision.

In practice, the only work that I've seen deleted on the Sixth World Wiki are the things that aren't canon and even then, those pages tend to be shuffled off into an "unofficial" page linked to the official one. It's just plain rude to delete someone's work outright, unless it is clearly vandalism or plain wrong. And no one's going to 'kick your arse" over writing anything on the wiki... if it's not canon, it's simply corrected, and if it has spelling errors or can be rephrased to be more clear, then it is revised.

Remember, the wiki is a community effort. This means that you have to consider your contribution as a drop in the bucket, not as the last and final word on a subject. This being said, it's quite lonely at the Sixth World Wiki... I think I've done over 300 of the last 500 entries. So we need more contributors!
Bullet Raven
QUOTE (hahnsoo @ May 3 2005, 07:37 AM)
QUOTE (Bullet Raven @ May 2 2005, 01:46 PM)

The point of a wiki is that anyone can come in and revise your work. But you can do the same to others. However, all wikis have version control software so that no revision is truly "lost". If someone comes in and deletes your work, you or someone else simply comes in and reverts back to the last known "good" page revision.

In practice, the only work that I've seen deleted on the Sixth World Wiki are the things that aren't canon and even then, those pages tend to be shuffled off into an "unofficial" page linked to the official one. It's just plain rude to delete someone's work outright, unless it is clearly vandalism or plain wrong. And no one's going to 'kick your arse" over writing anything on the wiki... if it's not canon, it's simply corrected, and if it has spelling errors or can be rephrased to be more clear, then it is revised.

Remember, the wiki is a community effort. This means that you have to consider your contribution as a drop in the bucket, not as the last and final word on a subject. This being said, it's quite lonely at the Sixth World Wiki... I think I've done over 300 of the last 500 entries. So we need more contributors!

Oh, I understand that aspect, but I mean what happens if I do accidentally infringe copyright, am I likely to get in trouble or will it be a case of alter it to something better and say nothing more about it?

What about maps? I take it scanning the maps is not ok, but if I created my own version of it, then it would be ok?

I found the wiki to be a brilliant resource, I've linked a slew of articles on it for my player's consumption, so I don't have to lend out my precious books wink.gif

I think I'll go make an account now.

Edit: OK, I've started on London!!!
Bullet Raven
..and it's coming along well!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012