Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Capturing Mr. Mxyzptlk
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Crimson Jack
How does one capture a fairy, if at all? Are there any possibilities for capturing them, what with their nifty little shifting ability?
Method
I believe fairies have the critter ability "fade" which allows them to disappear to an as of yet unknown metaplane. This makes capturing them all but imposible...
bitrunner
how about an orichalcum cage?? it would at least make for a good adventure!
Crimson Jack
Heh, yeah. I know they can fade. I was just wondering if there were ideas outside of the box. Would the orichalcum cage actually prevent them from fading though? I don't think it would... dunno.
Method
Yeah, some kind of novel and exotic new magical cage might be a cool plot device, but it would have to be an exception (since the cannon rules for fading state that no physical or magical barrier can stop a faerie critter from fading).

Grrr... trying to post a link but its not working right...

You can DL the critters source book from the shadowrunrpg.com site....
Method
Critters
Method
maybe some kind of spell (a control manipulations perhaps)?
bitrunner
yeah, the cage wouldn't stop the fading...you could have some ancient mystical text though that talks about such a cage, built with orichalcum and radicals of elemental earth, air, fire, and water (ie from ED) to be woven into the cage's pattern, along with some material native to the creature's metaplane. that way, you would have at least one adventure where you could take the team on an astral quest (ala Harley's Back) to recover the material. Kind of like learning the faerie's true name, but a little easier...then they have to build the cage, or get all the materials to someone who can!
Crimson Jack
Oh, I'd be down to run something along those lines. Something that seems to fit under the 'unique enchantment' or more non-canon-but-still-plausible angle. I'm not even writing a run using fairy folk that need to be caught... it's just something fun to think about.
ES_Riddle
I think Method is on the right track. If you make one not want to fade, it won't. Perhaps you build a cage that is actually a sustaining focus, use one control manipulation to get it in and then have someone else cast using the cage to sustain a similar spell.
JaronK
Cold Iron should definitely be involved in the captureing process.

JaronK
Jrayjoker
Faires aren't supposed to be the Windlings, are they?
Garland
Nope. You're thinking Sprites.
nezumi
How do you capture a fairy?

Well, I'd start by wearing some really tight jeans. Then go hit a gay bar or something, and....

Oh wait, THAT kind of fairy.

Sorry, no idea.
Kagetenshi
Clearly you should throw vowels at it. These will merge with its last name, robbing it of its powers.

~J
Apathy
Can't Voudouins (Voudonistas? Voudou'ers? Voudounators?...Whatever they're called...) make Honfours, which have the ability to contain/capture spirits? I would imagine that you extrapolate some sort of specially made honfour for fairies.

Oh, and I like JaronK's suggestion that any answer require cold iron as part of the equation.
Kanada Ten
I'd also include a special set of conditions that need to be met for the Fairy to be caught. Iron is defiantly one good suggestions, as is a cage made from a bit of their metaplane. I also think time is important, though not the same time for every Fairy. Twilight is popular for magic heavy Fae, and Midnight for evil ones, as is under a New Moon, etc. And then you need bait, something the specific Fairy cannot resist be it a gold coin, exotic plant, green eyed virgin, and so on.
BitBasher
And then you need bait, something the specific Fairy cannot resist be it a gold coin, exotic plant, green eyed virgin, and so on.
Holy Crap! Lo Pan was a fairy! biggrin.gif
akarenti
QUOTE (Apathy)
Can't Voudouins (Voudonistas? Voudou'ers? Voudounators?...Whatever they're called...) make Honfours, which have the ability to contain/capture spirits? I would imagine that you extrapolate some sort of specially made honfour for fairies.

Actually, thats an entirely different magical tradition called Obeyifa. They're a special type of aspected conjurer that make special foci (called gris-gris) and trap nature spirits in them.

Honfours are Voodoo shamanic lodges.

Does anyone know if the Bind and Mana Bind spells impede Fading?
waftalia
oh god a big trouble in little china flash back what an idea for a run,blockbuster here i come....
Botch
QUOTE (akarenti)
QUOTE (Apathy)

Actually, thats an entirely different magical tradition called Obeyifa. They're a special type of aspected conjurer that make special foci (called gris-gris) and trap nature spirits in them.

Honfours are Voodoo shamanic lodges.

Does anyone know if the Bind and Mana Bind spells impede Fading?

I think Apathy was refering to the govi jars mentioned in Awakenings, used to hold work-loa.
hobgoblin
still, those containers where used to hold summoned spirits, no trap existing ones...
Apathy
I think Apathy was refering to the govi jars mentioned in Awakenings, used to hold work-loa.

Thanks, Botch. Those were exactly what I'd been referring to. (My memory for things SR isn't what it used to be.)

still, those containers where used to hold summoned spirits, no trap existing ones...

And fairies aren't exactly like spirits either, but it's the closest match I could come up with. Govis can keep summoned spirits from going back to their metaplane. the ability of a summoned spirit to go back to its metaplane isn't really any different than that of a free spirit, so logically you should be able to adapt a version of the govi to handling free spirits too. If the fairie's fade ability works on the same principles, wouldn't it make sense that the govi could be adapted in the same way to interfere with it?

The next big question would be, how do you get the fairie to jump into the govi in the first place? Mind Control? Bait?
mfb
you can capture a fairy the same way you'd catch any other spirit--bind it. use its true name, if you can find it.
hobgoblin
this is stated in the books?
mfb
binding spirits is covered in MitS. fairies are spirits, right? i don't have PAoE on me, but i think they are. if so, they can be bound using the normal rules for binding spirits.
Savior
I thought you chased one down, capture it with a butterfly net and shoved it ina glass jar for later consumption or use?? Could i have been wrong this whole time?
BitBasher
heheheh

"...or consumption..."
Frenzy
I think the way to do it would be to make a cage that can only be opened by you. Then bind the cage to the fairy, the same way you would a focus.

Then he can fade, but will still be in the cage. He has to return to be released. This would allow you to extract services, and the fairy would be able to roll against the cage to try to escape. Rolling the fairy's willpower against the rating of the cage (how much karma you put into the making)
BitBasher
QUOTE (Frenzy)
I think the way to do it would be to make a cage that can only be opened by you. Then bind the cage to the fairy, the same way you would a focus.

Then he can fade, but will still be in the cage. He has to return to be released. This would allow you to extract services, and the fairy would be able to roll against the cage to try to escape. Rolling the fairy's willpower against the rating of the cage (how much karma you put into the making)

I don't understand how this would work, when he fades he isn't even on this plane of existance anymore, cage or no.
mfb
uh? you can't bind a focus to someone else.
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (Savior)
I thought you chased one down, capture it with a butterfly net and shoved it ina glass jar for later consumption or use?? Could i have been wrong this whole time?

Wizkids could make a new module: Fairy in a Bottle
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012