Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Box O' Truth
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Fix-it
The Box O' Truth

An amatuer, but it's still interesting.
I find the last part, Locks O' Truth, the most informative.
Austere Emancipator
The site is interesting, first because looking at people shooting at stuff is fun, second because some of those results were somewhat interesting for me (having not fired a wide range of firearms at different items). Still, it shines through that the guy really doesn't know that much about the physics behind what's going on. For example:
QUOTE (The Box O' Truth)
At the request of Peekay, I shot a .357 Magnum 158 grain JHP out of my 6" Colt Python. Much to our surprise, it was stopped by the 10th board after going through 9 boards. It was fully expanded. I was so surprised, that I did it again, but got the same results.

Who'd a thunk it? The .357 Magnum is supposed to be a big penetrator.

I'd have thunk it. The lower velocity (9mm, .45 ACP) pistol JHPs penetrated well, because the composition of the drywall caused the rounds not to expand. The .357 Magnum hit the wall fast enough to deform regardless. This is very much a good thing, because it means it will also expand properly for example when it hits a human through heavy clothing, while certain JHP designs for lower velocity handguns might not. They might have considered it a good thing themselves, but that was overridden by the feeling of surprise.

Try the same with FMJs for the .45 ACP, 9x19mm and the .357 Magnum (if you can find any) and the results will be the opposite.

QUOTE (The Box O' Truth)
Notice that the #4 and #1 Buck penetrated 6 boards. In previous tests, 9mm, .45 ACP, and M-193 out of an AR all penetrated all 12 boards. So, it seems that these loads do not "over-penetrate" as much as some have led us to believe.

Whoever's been saying that buckshot over-penetrate compared to common loads with the other weapons mentioned there needs to get his head checked. Of course a .30" 40gr lead ball traveling at ~1300fps won't penetrate better than a .355" 120+gr jacketed lead bullet traveling at ~1250fps, especially when the latter fails to expand at all.

The results with the slug were mildly surprising to me, but they might not have been if The Box had been tested with a wider range of deforming handgun rounds first. It certainly penetrated a lot more walls than an expanding .357 Magnum, although the .357 (likely) expanded a lot more also.

QUOTE (The Box O' Truth)
Pistols won't shoot a lock off or even penetrate the lock.

In all fairness, those were some seriously heavy duty locks, and they were shot in the "center-mass". You might often get better results blowing off whatever the lock is hanging on.

QUOTE (The Box O' Truth)
Pistols are pistols and rifles are rifles.

Yep. Too bad this isn't really true in Shadowrun, where Heavy Pistols penetrate better than ARs.
mfb
better than some hunting rifles, as well.
Arethusa
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
In all fairness, those were some seriously heavy duty locks, and they were shot in the "center-mass". You might often get better results blowing off whatever the lock is hanging on.

It's kind of funny how no one seems to ever remember this. I see heavy duty locks all the time attached to stuff I could break through with not even a set of pliers.
FrostyNSO
Yeah, I like seeing them on rotted wooden toolsheds.
Crusher Bob
back at 'de farm' we mostly put lock on things to keep kids out of them. I've had to kill plenty of Black Widow spiders who set up shot in those 'rotting wood sheds'
TheBovrilMonkey
I particularly like this quote:

4. I "racked" the shotgun several times during the tests, and no bystanders lost control of their bowels. Conclusion: Racking a shotgun will not make the bad guy faint.

Also, based on how much of that sheetrock stuff even a .22 will punch though, I'm glad I live somewhere where the interior walls are usually brick. I'll feel safe taking cover behind a wall next time I get into a gunfight at home wink.gif
Jrayjoker
Bullet Penetration is a major concern for me and my crew of runners. It is nice to know that some under-educated guy has a web resource to describe in layman's terms what he sees.

Actually, I can now point to this and say to my players, "Yes Virginia, there is a dead body on the other side of the office partition.
Austere Emancipator
You might find the Infantryman's Guide to Combat in Built-Up Areas Chapter 8: Employment and Effects of Weapons interesting as well, in that case. It provides quite a bit of information on what kinds of building materials do and do not provide protection against assault rifles and machine guns. It also explains in depth the employment and effects of heavier weapons (grenade launchers, LAWs, MAWs, ATGMs) in urban terrain.
Botch
Anybody thought of a whip-round to get this guy to do something for us?
Crusher Bob
Notice that alot of rifle rounds will frgment if fired 'close' (within maybe 50 meters) against a lot of target... This means that they may not acutally penetrate that well...

If you take a look at the 'box' tests posted above, the 5.56 mm rounds are fragmenting because of the stress on the bullet. Firing at the box from maybe 75-100 meteres will produce a different penetration profile, as the round if much less likely to fragment.

The 5.56 mm round will stop fragmenting in the 50-75 meter range, while the 7.62mm round will stop fragmenting in structures in (dunno) maybe the 150-200 meter range?
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
The 5.56 mm round will stop fragmenting in the 50-75 meter range, while the 7.62mm round will stop fragmenting in structures in (dunno) maybe the 150-200 meter range?

It goes without saying for you and me, but I'll include it anyway: Depending heavily on the material it hits, and especially with the 5.56x45mm on what weapon you fire them from (barrel length). The bullets will still fragment when fired at concrete walls at distances far greater than where they hold together against soft wood(-like) materials.

The FM I linked above includes tables of penetration for 7.62x51mm FMJ rounds (M80, I expect) fired from a GPMG (M60/M240). Since the round can penetrate only 18" of pine boards at 100 meters but 41" at 200 meters, the bullet is clearly still fragmenting at 100-150 meters. Somewhere before or around 200 meters is probably a good estimate against wooden construction materials. Interestingly, the penetration of the 7.62x51mm FMJs against cinder blocks tops out at 100 meters, even though I'd suspect the bullet is still fragmenting there.

The FM also says that 7.62x51mm FMJs are less affected by the close range fragmentation than 5.56x45mm FMJs, and penetration of pine boards with the former increases over threefold (13" to 41") from 25 meters to 200 meters. Maximum penetration against common structural materials for M16s and M249s is said to be 200 meters. You can draw some conclusions from that...

At less than 50 meters, 2" concrete or a brick veneer are rated as proof against 5.56x45mm FMJs, and the penetration of these materials only gets worse when you get closer than 50 meters. Single cinder blocks do not protect against anything really, it seems, and you must keep in mind that it's a rare interior wall that's made up of 10 or more inches of solid wood which you'd need to stop rifle rounds. Lethality through such obstacles will be significantly lower, however, since the bullet may well have fragmented.
Foreigner
(The Bovril Monkey)

I particularly liked this quote:

4. I "racked" the shotgun several times during the tests, and no bystanders lost control of their bowels.
Conclusion: Racking a shotgun will not make the bad guy faint.

Probably true, but I personally know of one situation where it definitely changed the guy's mind.

My brother once told me a story that he'd heard from an acquaintance who works in law enforcement.

It seems that the guy and his partner were called to the scene of a robbery, and the two perps were still hiding on the premises somewhere.

The first guy was found relatively easily--he was hiding behind a counter or something, and surrendered as soon as he realized that there were armed police officers present.

His erstwhile partner in crime, however, was nowhere to be seen.

One of the cops, determined not to take any unnecessary chances, retrieved the Remington 870 pump shotgun from their cruiser's trunk. Returning to the entrance of the building, he works the weapon's action, chambering a shell.

Whereupon the two of them hear someone they can't yet see call out:

"DON'T SHOOT! I'm COMIN' OUT!"

The unseen perp quickly makes himself visible, drops his weapon, and is arrested, searched, and handcuffed.

Moral of the story:

Almost anyone who watches television (especially police shows) recognizes the sound of a pump-action shotgun being readied for action, and nobody in his right mind wants to be on the wrong end of a 10- or 12-gauge shotgun, particularly if it's loaded with 00 Buckshot or Slugs.

smile.gif

(And *NO*, my brother is *NOT* the cop in question--he's a computer programmer. Our folks would kill him for trying it, considering how much trouble they went to to keep us alive over the years. Besides, neither of us could pass the physical. smile.gif)

--Foreigner
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Foreigner)
Almost anyone who watches television (especially police shows) recognizes the sound of a pump-action shotgun being readied for action, and nobody in his right mind wants to be on the wrong end of a 10- or 12-gauge shotgun, particularly if it's loaded with 00 Buckshot or Slugs.

The people who only know the sound from police shows, movies and computer games will tend to be utterly ignorant of the differences in terminal effect between birdshot, buckshot and slugs, though. For all they know, shotguns blow huge holes into you no matter what, and make you fly backwards in a huge arc.
Austere Emancipator
Talking about making bad guys faint...
QUOTE (http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/90-10-1/ch8.pdf)
Portable flamethrowers have a much shorter effective range than the M202 (20 to 50 meters) but require no special backblast consideration. The psychological and physical effects of the portable flamethrower are impressive.
Also,
QUOTE (http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/90-10-1/ch8.pdf)
The [M34 WP] grenade’s explosion, bright flash, smoke, and burning WP particles all combine to make the M34 one of the most effective psychological weapons available.
Crusher Bob
If you are going to use a shotgun inside, it might be better to use bridshot in the #4-6 range. It'll still be plenty letal inside the house and only go through maybe a wall and a half and opposed to the 3 or so walls that buckshot will go through.
Arethusa
Screw that. Let's just jump to shock locks.

Come to think of it, maybe we should buy some and send them to that Box o' Truth guy...
mfb
ahhh. sweet, sweet WP. if you ever find yourself under siege by several thousand shedim, make sure you've got lots of WP grenades.
Voran
QUOTE (Foreigner)

The people who only know the sound from police shows, movies and computer games will tend to be utterly ignorant of the differences in terminal effect between birdshot, buckshot and slugs, though. For all they know, shotguns blow huge holes into you no matter what, and make you fly backwards in a huge arc.

I blame video games smile.gif Shotguns in FPS games tend to be (at least in earlier FPS games) the mini BFG. You use shotguns to good effect on space demons, aliens, zombies, etc. Whether or not they'd actually do as much 'in real life' versus such, I sure as hell don't know smile.gif As I've only got popular culture/TV/Movie/bullcrap type background in it.

As for racking a shotgun...heh in SR I imagine my character would like it if his unseen target racked their shotgun. It'd give me a nice perception mod to find them and put a blade through their nostril or something.
Smiley
Check out the guy's cover in BOT #3. Look familiar? Why am I not surprised that the Box Of Truth guy is a former Marine? (I assume from his cover, anyway. Most nonmilitary people opt for Army covers, which don't have the stitching around the top to keep the octagonal shape.) Ooh Rah!
Kagetenshi
Talking about making bad guys faint...
Portable flamethrowers have a much shorter effective range than the M202 (20 to 50 meters) but require no special backblast consideration. The psychological and physical effects of the portable flamethrower are impressive.

QUOTE (Durandal)
I don't believe it is necessary for me to state the personality disorders evident in an individual who enjoys, or more accurately revels, in spraying their enemies with flaming napalm aerosol.

~J
Necro Tech
QUOTE (The Box O' Truth)
Pistols won't shoot a lock off or even penetrate the lock.

Actually, those were candy ass locks but you are correct, most people put on too heavy a lock. Shoot the hasp off.

Also, the rifle can take off the lock just fine as long as you hit the right place (the bearings) located just left and right of center mass about 1/3 of the way down. Either one will allow the shackle to come free. This is probably impractical however.

A shotgun will not really touch any really heavy lock (especially shackless ones) without special ammo.
Traks

Nah, all shooting weapons make you fly back in huge arc smile.gif
I have heard about birdshot, but don't know differences between last two. Then again, weapons are quite rare in our country.

Maybe I should go and rewatch Leon, best movie of this type smile.gif
Austere Emancipator
Bird shot: small shot -- not very strictly defined AFAIK, but I would assume it's basically size #4 and larger (3.3mm diameter and smaller). Buck shot: a category of much larger shot sizes, between 6.1mm and 9.14mm in diameter. Slug: a single metallic projectile launched from a shotgun.

You can see a diagram of shot sizes here and a lengthy article covering shotgun slugs here.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Chuck Hawks)
Imparting spin to a projectile to stabilize its flight was a quantum improvement in accuracy.

Mmm, science.

~J
Austere Emancipator
Lucky for the author that the article's not supposed to be scientific. wink.gif

[Edit]Although...M-W.Com: "Main Entry: 2quantum
Function: adjective
: LARGE, SIGNIFICANT <a quantum improvement>"[/Edit]
Crusher Bob
Bird shot starts at 'BB" (.18 inches in diameter) and goes up to 12 (.05 inches in diameter).

(Please note that there are both #4 bird and #4 buckshot, they are two different things...)

Buckshot starts at #4 (.24 inches in diameter) and goes up to 000 .36 inches in diameter (though 000 is quite rare, it's slightly smaller cousin 00 buck is used instead).

In general 'birdshot' is used to hunt birds, rabits, and other small game. The larger sizes are used for larger game (say, wild turkeys) of for 'ground bound' game that may be among thick scrub or brush (turkeys are a fine example here two). The smaller birdshots (8, etc) are used for shooting small bird (like doves).

Buckshot is used on deer (hence it's name) and similar sized stuff.

And quantum is probably the right word, being a 'sudden and significant' step up in accuracy...

I was recommending the use of birdshot 'inside the house', since in very close ranges, a birdshot load will still penetrate a human body quite well, but will not penetrate walls and furniture as well as buckshot.

Note that steel shot will penetrate much better, but has a different flight pattern, as the steel shot is lighter (i.e. you need to use bigger shot to get the same range, that's why the 'average size' of the steel shot is bigger)
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
Bird shot starts at 'BB" (.18 inches in diameter) and goes up to 12 (.05 inches in diameter).

So that whole class of shot (#9 through BB for lead, through T for steel) is called "bird shot"? Now that I (obviously) didn't know. Ignore that bit from my earlier message then.
Crusher Bob
Yes, with birdshot it's mildly desireable to have overpenetration, as then you will not have to either bite down on the shot when eating (ouch!) or clean the shot out of the dead animal.

With much larger animals like deer, the cleaning process is much more detailed, so removing the shot or bullet is no big deal.
Austere Emancipator
Not that overpenetration would be economic (or ergonomic for that matter) to get in a shoulder arm when hunting larger animals. wink.gif
Crusher Bob
Well, the extra angry soild bronze core1111 AV ammo they have in SR would certainly overpenetrate a poor unarmored, body 4 whitetail...
Austere Emancipator
...and still blow up the Ares Citymaster behind it.
Kagetenshi
Nope. Shadowrun AV ammo won't overpenetrate a dragonfly smile.gif

~J
Austere Emancipator
Does it say that somewhere, or does it simply not mention the fact that overpenetration might occur? Because it makes total sense to me that if an Ares Citymaster were hiding behind a whitetail buck to allow a character to attack the Citymaster through the deer using the Firing Through Barriers rules.
Tarantula
You sure could. Barrier rating of the deers body, and done.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012