Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: High powered games
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Moon-Hawk
Has anyone done anything different with character generation for a high-powered or solo-campaign?
Different priority values, more character points, etc?
If so, what've you done, and how did it work, and what do you think about the idea in general?
Thanks.
Backgammon
There are rules for that in Mr Johnson's Little Black Book
Moon-Hawk
Argh, curse my insufficient funds!
Thanks.
GrinderTheTroll
We are running just this type of campaign at the moment and had 2 provisions:

1) Double your tech amount (Double spell points too)

OR

2) +20 karma

Also suspended the restricts on initiations, starting availablity on most things and let the players go a little crazy with gear and such.

It was an experienced group of players, we just wanted to sorta pick-up where we left off since it had been a few years since we all played.

Zeel De Mort
We started a high powered campaign a couple of years ago (still going now) where we did something like sum to 10+d3 instead of sum to 10, and then randomly allocated a percentage increase to different priorities by rolling on a table. So +10% resources or skill points or whatever. These bonuses could be gained multiple times.

You could also take edges to increase starting availabilities and the like (something brought over from 2nd ed?). Also, edge and flaw points could optionally be made random and generally resulted in a lot more edge points than flaw points (i.e. they didn't balance out, and you'd end up with a lot of edge points you could spend).

That kinda thing. Add to it the fact we've been playing for somewhere in the region of two years real time, and longer game time, and things have got quite... powerful now. smile.gif

In general I think it's worked out pretty well. Everyone starts off much more powerful, but there's an element of chance as to how much. Mind you, I generally favour high powered games, so I would say it's working well regardless!
Austere Emancipator
BeCKS v2 with more Karma (however much you want) and maybe some of the optional extra rules included in this PDF. Unless of course you're a BeCKS-hater, in which case I can't help you.
Crimson Jack
I ran a high-powered game once when I was in college. It was just me and my friend, so I allowed him to be beefier than I'd normally allow. IIRC the bennies were as follows:

1) Race was always priority E.
2) 50% more resources than whichever priority chosen.
3) 10% more skill and attribute points than whichever priority chosen.
4) and no cap on the availability of gear. Basically, anything that he could afford.
BitBasher
Well, I always did it this way: players would make characters exactly like normal, then we would take one game session and make it entirely character advancement.

I'd pick the amount of karma I was going to give them total, then I would simulate their runs one at a time.

Such as, if I wanted to run a game that started at 120 karma I would have them finish their characters then would give them karma and cash one run at a time.

Each run would net them 1+1d6 karma, and on a 6 I would add 1d6/2 karma and keep on adding 1d6/2 until I stopped rolling sixes.

Each run would net them 1d6*1k (reroll sixes) nuyen with an extra d6 added per 10 (or 20) karma earned. (which can be adjusted). On a botch they got screwed and got no cash.

I'd roll randomly for the type of run it was and give them a 50 word or less rundown.

Each run I'd roll 3d6 for the random factor, higher is better. If they rolled under 8 then they may resist damage and pay for healing, With the attack power and damage level figured by the amount they rolled under 8, and the amount of karma they got from the run, which represents how hard it was. If they soaked damage fine, if they needed hospitalization they paid for it. If they lost magic ect, it was figured. If they rolled bad and may die, they could burn karma to live, ect.

Each month of game time there was a random luck roll, really bad rolls they lost a contact or loved one had a medical problem, ect, on a high roll they gained a new contact or one raised a level.

Each run this way would take 5-10 minutes, and it would take a few hours to give them all their karma and spend all their cash in hyper fast time.

The result of this was a seasoned team that actually had past experiences together and a running history. They had their scars and I think it was worth the extra time. This way their extra karma was not given in a lump sum, and it was a far better realistic progression of karma. Each player ended up with about 30-40% of their karma burnt, and they never knew how much total karma and they were getting until the process was over.

My group FAR preferred this to a beefed up character creation, and it made the team far more cohesive.
Crimson Jack
I like that. Gives them a history in the shadows prior to actually starting the game.
Joe Outside
The latest Supplemental article, though taken from a comic-book slant, has some good high-power ideas.
BitBasher
QUOTE (Crimson Jack)
I like that. Gives them a history in the shadows prior to actually starting the game.

That's the main point, which raelly, really helps a team feel like a cohesive unit that's been through a lot together.
Crimson Jack
I'm stealing it. biggrin.gif
The White Dwarf
Yea BB, thats all sorts of stolen. =) In fact it solved 2 of the problems I was having mulling my way though our next high powered setup. Thanks for the great idea.
BitBasher
Cool, just adjust the karma/cash as you see fit in your games... It serves the added purpose of letting the players know how much to expect on an average run. smile.gif

I'd also write the tables out for the player so they know it's all fair.
Silver-Fang
QUOTE (BitBasher)
Well, I always did it this way: players would make characters exactly like normal, then we would take one game session and make it entirely character advancement.

I'd pick the amount of karma I was going to give them total, then I would simulate their runs one at a time.

Such as, if I wanted to run a game that started at 120 karma I would have them finish their characters then would give them karma and cash one run at a time.

Each run would net them 1+1d6 karma, and on a 6 I would add 1d6/2 karma and keep on adding 1d6/2 until I stopped rolling sixes.

Each run would net them 1d6*1k (reroll sixes) nuyen with an extra d6 added per 10 (or 20) karma earned. (which can be adjusted). On a botch they got screwed and got no cash.

I'd roll randomly for the type of run it was and give them a 50 word or less rundown.

Each run I'd roll 3d6 for the random factor, higher is better. If they rolled under 8 then they may resist damage and pay for healing, With the attack power and damage level figured by the amount they rolled under 8, and the amount of karma they got from the run, which represents how hard it was. If they soaked damage fine, if they needed hospitalization they paid for it. If they lost magic ect, it was figured. If they rolled bad and may die, they could burn karma to live, ect.

Each month of game time there was a random luck roll, really bad rolls they lost a contact or loved one had a medical problem, ect, on a high roll they gained a new contact or one raised a level.

Each run this way would take 5-10 minutes, and it would take a few hours to give them all their karma and spend all their cash in hyper fast time.

The result of this was a seasoned team that actually had past experiences together and a running history. They had their scars and I think it was worth the extra time. This way their extra karma was not given in a lump sum, and it was a far better realistic progression of karma. Each player ended up with about 30-40% of their karma burnt, and they never knew how much total karma and they were getting until the process was over.

My group FAR preferred this to a beefed up character creation, and it made the team far more cohesive.

Thats a great solution to charachter creation for high powered games. Good idea all around. All i play is high powered SR nowadays given irl lack of time and no group just me and a Gm, still it works well if you have 2 well rounded charachters and are smart about things.
Smiley
It would be quicker and easier to give your characters more build points to start off with. Like 150 instead of 120, with a higher cap on how many they can use on attributes. Like 80 instead of 60, maybe. Just a thought.
Modesitt
Quick and dirty chart of availability I made

My suggestions -

All games should raise their availability limit to 9. Really. With the exception of high-rated stuff not listed, there is nothing at availability 9 that will break your game.

Availability 10 is primarily communications upgrades, anti-vehicular equipment, and unconventional entrance creation equipment. There's really nothing here that will make your PCs deadlier against normal, run of the mill bad guys with the exception of maybe the Damage Compensators(Trolls) and the Cyberarm gyromount(Lets you get to 10 or more RC on more guns).

Availability 12 is when we get into the seriously bad-ass military equipment. Missiles and launchers, some really nice comm equipment(Battletec > all), target designations, the first really good sniper rifle(Walther 2100), security helmets and security armor...Your PCs will be head and shoulders above most of the opposition and will be making use of indirect fire. In addition, fingerprint mappers and retinal tailors give them all new ways to infiltrate the enemy or disappear.

After you raise it to 12, there's really little point in raising it again unless its to 18, 24 or 30 or there's a specific piece of equipment you want made available. 18 is when Military grade armor and other REALLY big boy toys hit the stage, 24 is when pretty much all of the limits are gone and you have monowhips, and 30 is everything but some high-end vehicles.
Moon-Hawk
Yay, I got MJLBB.
Not sure if I'll use the high-powered generation, but a good buy nonetheless!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012