Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: movement and shooting
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
James McMurray
I'll preface this by saying that my group and I have played d20 for the past few years almost exclusively, so we're not used to people being able to act in the middle of their movement without some sort of special ability (a feat in D&D).

That said, what do people think about the ability to act during movement. The rules don't say whether you can or not, but they seem to imply that you can. However, it results in several odd occurrences being possible such as
  • Step around the enemy's cover, shoot with no penalties, then run back to your cover.
  • Mages can cast spells while sprinting (using athletics to increase their run speed)

Does anyone else have a problem with this, or any reasons why it shouldn't be house ruled?
Zeel De Mort
Using athletics to increase your running speed is a complex action, as is spellcasting, so you couldn't do both in the same phase, although you could do one then the other, or house rule that you can do both at once.

Regardless, yeah you can do things like moving around cover, shooting, and then moving into cover. A lot of people (including our group) house rule some aspect or other of the whole initiative or movement thing and when modifiers apply and when they don't. But even if you don't, remember that, even if you're negating all your opponent's cover by moving around and shooting, you will still get the penalty for walking, or more likely running, instead. Might not be as high but it's still something to consider.

SR is more realistic than D&D in regard to moving/acting, but also a bit harder to manage I suppose. Same goes for a lot of things.
Kagetenshi
You declare your movement at the beginning of the turn. If you step around cover, you take the Attacker Walking penalty. For running, Attacker Running. Also, your movement is divided among every initiative pass, regardless of whether or not you get an action in it.

As for mages casting spells whilst sprinting, I believe using Athletics to increase run speed is a Complex Action. Otherwise, why would it be a problem?

And for balancing the duck out of cover, shoot, duck back in: the very held actions your other thread discusses.

~J
grendel
If you act while moving, you suffer movement penalties as per the ranged combat modifiers table. Which means if you walk around your opponent's cover you'll take a +1 or +2 depending on if it's difficult ground or not. Also, movement is broken up over the total number of passes in a combat turn. This means that for a human with a quickness of 6, who can walk 6 meters per combat turn, could only move two meters per combat pass if the combat turn had three passes. So, you could still move to circumvent an opponents cover, but you would be unable to move back to your own cover until next pass.

Also, sprinting is a complex action, which means a mage cannot cast spells while in the process.
Nikoli
I recall something in the FAQ about changing direction. You can't alter your movement that much till the next new initiative. I could be wrong though. Just seems cheesy to dart out, shoot them with them having no cover then dart back behind a trol.. I mean cover.
Austere Emancipator
Count the movement before actions. If there are several Initiative Passes in a CT, divide everybody's movement to all the Init Passes and calculate those before anything else happens in that Init Pass. That should solve most problems.

You can't cast a spell or do much anything else while sprinting -- that takes a Complex Action and is only effective for that one Combat Phase.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (James McMurray)
That said, what do people think about the ability to act during movement. The rules don't say whether you can or not, but they seem to imply that you can.

On the contrary, read SR3.108 "Movement"

However, it results in several odd occurrences being possible such as

• Step around the enemy's cover, shoot with no penalties, then run back to your cover.

We allow movement, before or after Actions are taken. For movement taken before the Action, we apply the movement penalties immediately. For movemebt taken after Actions, we apply the movement penalties to the players next Phase.

• Mages can cast spells while sprinting (using athletics to increase their run speed)

• Does anyone else have a problem with this, or any reasons why it shouldn't be house ruled?

You are allowed 2 Simple Actions or 1 Complex action. Spell Casting in itself is a Complex action. Sprinting (Using a skill for the pupose of Athletics and running) is also considered a Complex Action. So Sprint or Sling a spell, but not both in the same action.

However, if you could act in 3-phases (Init>20) for that Combat Turn, you could spend two turns sprinting and the last phase casting a spell. Considering a Combat Turn in only 4 seconds long, and piecing together all the actions taken, you did indeed sprint and cast a spell just not all at once.

EDIT - Thanks for catching my mistakes!
    Kagetenshi
    Three seconds long.

~J
    grendel
    Running isn't a complex action, it's movement. Sprinting is a complex action.
    James McMurray
    Sorry, I had missed that sprinting was complex. But you can still run at top speed and cast a spell, or pop around cover and shoot someone. Attacker running (+2) is a lot better than defender has cover (+4).

It just seems kind of silly to me. I've watched a lot of gunfights on TV and you never see someone doing something like that. While I've never seen a real gunfight (except on reality TV shows) I seriously doubt that you'll find anyone running around cover, taking 2 shots, and then running back.

On the contrary, read SR3.108 "Movement"

I'd be interested in knowing what your page 108 says. Mine never says anything about what point the movement occurs in.

But this wouldn't be the first thing that my 3rd printing had different than the newer printings. I wouldn't mind so much except that they also aren't in the erratta. I went through my book and marked all of the errattaed sections, hoping it would cover all of the changes.
    Kagetenshi
    Attacker Running is +4, so 50% cover is a wash. On difficult ground, it's +6.

~J
    Rev
    Does it say sprinting is a complex action someplace?
    I thought it was a simple action.

PS I think it is dumb to let people move out of full cover, shoot, then move back into full cover. If they do that you could just give them partial cover. The combat system is turn based for reasons of OOC expediency, not because thats the way things are really happening IC. Similarly if a person just runs from one full cover spot to another across open space they probably should not get full cover on the next shot. Give them some sort of average cover over the phase. At least do all that if you want to have highly tactical combat. If you don't it doesn't matter much.
    Cochise
    QUOTE (Rev)
    Does it say sprinting is a complex action someplace?
    I thought it was a simple action.

SRComp ... in the Athletics Section ... somewhere around pages 45 IIRC
    James McMurray
    That's what happens when I don't have my book in front of me while posting.

Cochise: It says it in the movement section, page 108, under the "Running" header.
    Crimson Jack
    What is the target number modifier for kicking ass and chewing bubble gum? biggrin.gif
    Austere Emancipator
    Dunno about SRComp, but it certainly says so on page 108 in SR3.
    James McMurray
    QUOTE (Crimson Jack)
    What is the target number modifier for kicking ass and chewing bubble gum? biggrin.gif

It depends on the buble gum. If its pepper punch flavored the modifier is +5. If its sour apple, +1 as your face scruches up. If its a fruity or weak minty flavor there is no modifier. But you will hear your mother's voice in the back of your head telling you to stop smacking.
    Zeel De Mort
    QUOTE (Crimson Jack)

I'd say maybe a +1? Assuming you're actively chewing, and moving up to about +3 if you were trying to blow a bubble. I'd let physical adepts center on that though. Perhaps a -1 on the kicking ass roll if you were all out of gum.

Moving between cover and shooting etc: Yeah, a bit of a problem. We have a moderately complex but decent house rule about that. Still, moving around cover and shooting people then moving back into cover is a little more believable if you have a mixture of regular people and guys who literally move and react three or four (or more) times faster than the norm.
    James McMurray
    What's your house rule?
    Zeel De Mort
    As luck would have it I was just looking for the document that has various house rules of ours, so here you go. I'm sure our GM won't mind you guys looking over and disecting it. I've not actually re-read it myself, and we rarely need it, but anyway this is said set of rules:

• Attacking from cover. If a character starts his action behind full cover, he can move and attack normally, but cannot end his action in full cover without spending at least a simple action at the start or end of the attack. Also, the furthest change in cover modifier a simple action can provide is+4. So a character starting in full cover can move, fire from partial cover +4 (one simple) and then return to full cover +8 (one simple). If he wanted to fire from +2 cover, then at the end he could only return to a maximum of +6 cover. Similarly, a character standing behind a wall (partial cover) can use a free action at the end of his phase to drop prone (full cover). But his next action would consist of change position (simple) to partial cover +4, fire from partial cover (simple) and drop prone (free). In the case of a character who wishes to run across the end of a corridor from full cover to full cover whilst firing down the corridor, the following rules should be used. The character may do this, but still uses a simple action to end his phase in cover; he may use the other simple to fire if possible. However, he is subject to cover penalties and return fire as though in partial cover till his next action. If a character wishes to move from like cover to like (other than full) then he can use all of his actions for firing, and will take the cover penalty on them. If he changes type of cover on this kind of action he can choose which modifier will apply.
    Kagetenshi
    QUOTE (Rev)
    PS I think it is dumb to let people move out of full cover, shoot, then move back into full cover. If they do that you could just give them partial cover. The combat system is turn based for reasons of OOC expediency, not because thats the way things are really happening IC. Similarly if a person just runs from one full cover spot to another across open space they probably should not get full cover on the next shot. Give them some sort of average cover over the phase. At least do all that if you want to have highly tactical combat. If you don't it doesn't matter much.

Pst… Held Actions. Not just for players anymore.

~J
    Rev
    Holding actions might not help. You would have to allow action holding charachters to take thier turn in the middle of another charachters turn:

Alice moves from cover and fires a semi-automatic shot
    _Bob uses his held action to fire a semi-automatic shot at alice
    __Charlie uses his held action to fire a full auto burst at Bob
    _Bob readies a grenade.
    Alice fires her second shot shot and moves back to cover.

That would work ok too, probably about the same management pain as averaging cover values.
    hahnsoo
    We rule that you can shoot out of Full Cover (pop out, take a shot, pop back in), but then you compromise your cover down to a level that your character chooses. If you jump out and shoot, you only get a +1 penalty to attack, but you only get a +2 cover modifier (same as 25% cover). If you lean out and shoot, you get a +2 penalty to attack, but you only get a +4 cover modifier (same as 50% cover). If you just stick out your hand and head and fire shots, you get a +3 attack modifire, but a +6 cover modifier (same as 75% cover). If you take a shot, you are automatically not taking advantage of full cover because you are not completely hidden... it's not like you pop out once and fire, you are looking for an opening and thus you pop out multiple times during the firefight until you can take a shot. This is just like if you walk or run at any point during your action, the movement modifiers affect you until your next action. You don't run, then stop, negating the run modifiers.

Thinking about movement (and the initiative count) as a process rather than an end point does wonders in determining how certain situations work. It's not "I fire and move, then you fire and move", it's an abstraction of how people fluidly move in a room and an approximate order of how the shots landed.
    James McMurray
    QUOTE (hahnsoo)
    Thinking about movement (and the initiative count) as a process rather than an end point does wonders in determining how certain situations work. It's not "I fire and move, then you fire and move", it's an abstraction of how people fluidly move in a room and an approximate order of how the shots landed.

That's true, but when you're sitting there with your minis and people are doing silly stunts like stepping out into the open, shoting twice, then stepping back its a bit hard to hold onto the idea of the abstraction.
    Kagetenshi
    QUOTE (Rev)
    Holding actions might not help. You would have to allow action holding charachters to take thier turn in the middle of another charachters turn:

Alice moves from cover and fires a semi-automatic shot
    _Bob uses his held action to fire a semi-automatic shot at alice
    __Charlie uses his held action to fire a full auto burst at Bob
    _Bob readies a grenade.
    Alice fires her second shot shot and moves back to cover.

That would work ok too, probably about the same management pain as averaging cover values.

You don't have to break in in the middle of the turn, because movement occurs as part of a pass rather than during a character's turn.

Alice moves from cover
    Bob uses his held action to fire two semi-automatic shots at Alice.
    Alice, if still alive, gets her pass and fires two semi-automatic shots.

~J
    hahnsoo
    QUOTE (James McMurray)
    That's true, but when you're sitting there with your minis and people are doing silly stunts like stepping out into the open, shoting twice, then stepping back its a bit hard to hold onto the idea of the abstraction.

Heh. I used to say the same thing about d20's silly "I swing and miss because your armor is better" and "more hit points mean you take less damage from a weapon" abstraction. I'm not saying you should accept this behavior (using full cover by default means that you cannot fire out of it), and I realize that it is difficult to move from one RPG system to another.

By the way, in d20, there is a "Shot on the Run" feat that allows you to move, attack, then move again. It is quite cheesy due to the way d20 does cover.
    Kagetenshi
    QUOTE (hahnsoo)
    I'm not saying you should accept this behavior (using full cover by default means that you cannot fire out of it)

Not always true. Imagine, if you will, about a foot of armor plate with a weapon projecting through it and a video screen on one side showing a feed from a camera on the other side.

~J
    hahnsoo
    QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
    Not always true. Imagine, if you will, about a foot of armor plate with a weapon projecting through it and a video screen on one side showing a feed from a camera on the other side.

~J

Can I carry it around with me on runs? *grin* We used to have an armored drone specifically for the purpose of mobile cover.
    Kagetenshi
    You can't carry it, but it comes with a battery and treads smile.gif

~J
    Crimson Jack
    I think a troll would have trouble carrying around something that heavy.
    Kagetenshi
    *Point point* Battery and treads? We're talking a drone here. Self-propelled.

~J
    Kanada Ten
    Pshee, just spary out a freeze foam castle from your internal air tank and cyberarm hose.
    Crimson Jack
    ... a one foot thick piece of steel plate, that is.
    Rev
    QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
    You don't have to break in in the middle of the turn, because movement occurs as part of a pass rather than during a character's turn.

That means that alice can't move from cover shoot then back to cover without exposing herself. The person holding action could just as easily take their action after alice, or even if they were not holding they should be able to shoot alice as she moves as long as they go after alice in the phase.

That is yet another way to solve the problem, basically alices cover does not take effect until the end of the phase where she moves to cover.
    Rev
    dp
    RunnerPaul
    QUOTE (Crimson Jack)

I wouldn't know. I'm always out of gum. Go ask Mr. Owl.
    BitBasher
    I also play it down a little more granular. Say there are three passes, with the highest initiative being 31. Someone with a quickness of 10 can move 30 meters running during that time period, or 10 meters per pass.

I further break that down so if a pass has 31 phases, and the character moves 10 meters that pass then he moves about a third of a meter per phase. If he tries to run for cover 9 meters away and on a 15 someone shoots at him, he's halfway to cover, still running across open ground. If someone shoots at him on a 2 or 3 I may give him 2 points of cover as he's really almost there, and on a 1 he's in cover, they cant see him and he can't see them.

"Taking cover" represents you ducking behind cover and popping out to take your shots, how much you want to pop out and for how long determines how much of a penalty you and your opponents take while shooting each other. I do not consider 4 points of cover to be "I am standing motionless but you can only see half of me".
    =Spectre=
    I heard of a rule which takes a bit of the headache out of the moving while firing, but adjusts the rules some.

"Each person can move up to their quickness in every combat phase. However, any actions they takey after moving suffer a TN penalty equal to half of the the distance they moved if they walked(round up), or the full distance of that if they ran."

Example: Runner A wants to get behind a building so thug B can't shoot him, but he's across the street from it(six meters) Runner A has quickness 7, and decides to sprint halfway onto the street, fire a burst at Thug B, and then continue springting to the building. Runner A moves 3 meters, so his penalty to shoot is -3(the distance he ran) before anything else. If he chose to take a second burst when he rached his cover, he would be at -6 to shoot.
    GrinderTheTroll
    SR2 used to let you move you Quickness per combat phase, but that's really fast. Q=10, and Init=31, you would be moving 10 m/s (~22mph), and that's just at a walk!

Bleh, SR3 isn't that bad, just play it for what it is IMO.
    Fortune
    QUOTE (BitBasher)
    Say there are three passes, with the highest initiative being 31.

That'd be four passes. wink.gif
    BitBasher
    QUOTE (Fortune @ Jan 31 2005, 09:12 PM)
    QUOTE (BitBasher @ Feb 1 2005, 05:47 AM)
    Say there are three passes, with the highest initiative being 31.

That'd be four passes. wink.gif

Aaaargh. Basic math you confound me yet again with your numerical wiles!
    mfb
    haha, what?
    BitBasher
    I had just finished watching The Tick... wink.gif
    TeOdio
    QUOTE (BitBasher)
    "Taking cover" represents you ducking behind cover and popping out to take your shots, how much you want to pop out and for how long determines how much of a penalty you and your opponents take while shooting each other. I do not consider 4 points of cover to be "I am standing motionless but you can only see half of me".

AMEN to that brother. A combat round in Shadowrun is a very short amount of time. If you stick your nose around the corner to shoot, you may get off that first shot, but that doesn't mean the other guys aren't going to shoot back. If you are a GM and you allow shenanigans llike taking full cover after unloading on the opposition you might wish to consider running a different game and not soiling the Sacred Shadowrun. biggrin.gif
    Seriously, we all know how much time a Shadowrun round takes (3 seconds). With the initiative pass system, everyone is acting in that 3 second window at roughly the same time. Some lucky folks get to squeeze out a few extra actions as well, but it is a small amount of time. I use the old Battletech standby of Move - Action. It ain't the most "Realistic", but neither is only being able to unload 2 - 6 shots in 3 seconds with a semi-auto pistol. If you allow folks to even walk - Fire - walk back behind cover you totally negate the need for any kind of tactical maneuvering. If I got a guy pinned behind cover I may want to keep him there until I have back up coming. If the same guy pops out and plugs me between the eyes than I want my buddy to have an opportunity to react if he has any actions left. SHOOT HIM!!!!
    nuyen.gif nuyen.gif nuyen.gif
    Fortune
    I had just finished watching The Tick...

That'll do it! biggrin.gif
    James McMurray
    If you are a GM and you allow shenanigans llike taking full cover after unloading on the opposition you might wish to consider running a different game and not soiling the Sacred Shadowrun.

So using the rules as written is "soiling the Sacred Shadowrun"?
    Kanada Ten
    One could argue that changing direction while running is a simple action (change position), which cuts down on a lot of silly run back to where I was crap. But by looking at the melee intercept rules we can see that actions are taking place in a fluid timeline, and therefore one should not gain the full benefits of full cover if they have been in the line of fire for a duration.
    TeOdio
    QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
    One could argue that changing direction while running is a simple action (change position), which cuts down on a lot of silly run back to where I was crap. But by looking at the melee intercept rules we can see that actions are taking place in a fluid timeline, and therefore one should not gain the full benefits of full cover if they have been in the line of fire for a duration.

The Great Kanada rests my case wink.gif
    nuyen.gif nuyen.gif nuyen.gif
    James McMurray
    While its a great house rule, and I might swipe it, it isn't the way the rules work. It could be argued, but that argument would fall short in the face of the Change Position description. Change position is only used to stand up or lie down.

I guess inacting house rules is what you consider resting your case? Not that there's anything wrong with that. I would put good money on saying that at least 90% of all SR groups have at least one house rule, usually more. But if you're using house rules to cover flaws in the SR movement system, you should probably refrain from telling people that they are soiling the game by using the rules as written.
    The White Dwarf
    Movement and cover is incredibly easy to counter with held actions. Plus when you space out the movement as the rules state its usually pretty difficult to get there and back again in just your action.

As for casting spells while moving, this isnt dnd. Its shadowrun. And all the baggage that casting takes isnt here. Casting a spell is no more involved than simply willing it to occur, tho it may fatigue the caster. All the arm-waving, chanting, dancing, component using crap is a penalty imposed on casters who are trying to counter a loss of magic in the form of Geasa. That said, why should "thinking" be disallowed during running?
    This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
    Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012