Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Editors - Today is the feast day of St John Bosco
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Botch
Otherwise known as St. Giovanni Melchior Bosco. Just thought you might like to know.

Out of interest, have any of you linked any of the Patron Saints to SR roles?
Solstice
Are you some kind of pagan witch?
Demosthenes
[ Spoiler ]
Foreigner
I recall reading on the net that there's a Patron Saint of Assassins, believe it or not. smile.gif

Unfortunately, if there is a real-life one, I can't recall who it was.... frown.gif

In ADVANCED DUNGEONS & DRAGONS (um, please excuse me, I meant "that other game" smile.gif), one Patron Saint of Thieves and Assassins was "Gygar, the God of Thievery and Luck"; another one was "Sicalon", described as "...[t]he Lord of Shadows and Darkness. He is the patron of thieves, spies, assassins, and those who seek personal gain and power through intrigue and deception."...

Another is Grim, "The Dark One", a/k/a "The Poisoner", "The Assassin", "Soulstealer", or "Plaguebringer". Like Gygar, he is a patron of assassins and thieves.

Their counterpart in AD&D's "Underdark" is Chemelosian, described as "...the patron of assassins, poisoners, necromancers, conspirators, and those who kill for gain...". Apparently, he has some basis in Norse mythology, because one of his subordinates is Fafnir ("The Wyrm"), the Dwarf-turned-Dragon who is "... worshipped by thieves, dark Dwarves, and those who have given themselves over to their desire for wealth...".

--Foreigner
Botch
QUOTE (Solstice)

Would that be pagan as in

pay-gan; Pagan is derived from the latin "pagani", meaning country. When Christianity gained popularity by converting people in the cities, those still in the country who still held their Nature-oriented beliefs were called "pagans". Unfortunately, over time these pagans who had once had respect in the community were now considered "evil" and were forced to take their beliefs underground where they have survived to this day.

or

An umbrella term to describe earth based religions, with worship of God and Goddess as equals an intrinsic part

or

A pagan is someone who practices a religion other than Christianity, Judaism or Islam, especially the polytheistic religions of the ancient Romans and Greeks. Paganism also refers to a group of practices originating from pre-Christian Europe, which include the worship of nature, polytheism and the female deity (The Goddess).
Mr.Sinister
How can something/someone from polytheistic beliefs be a Patron Saint?
RangerJoe
I thought a pagani was one of the new sandwich offerings at Panera.

Having mentioned various Church sects in SOE, and their relevance to the 6th world, I could image a patron saints listing in the future (although it really does smack of the Other Game)
U_Fester
QUOTE (Mr.Sinister)
How can something/someone from polytheistic beliefs be a Patron Saint?

I agree. Wouldn't the following and worship of saints follow under Catholosism?
Garland
The reverence and invoking of saints is actually kind of a hold-over from pre-Christian times. Kinda like having a god for every occasion, only not. In late Roman times, the saints were even worshipped in the same manner (gifts of food, libations, etc.) as various gods were.

That aside, I don't really know what Solstice meant by his post.
bitrunner
mmmm.....Bosco.....chocolate goodness......
kevyn668
Their counterpart in AD&D's "Underdark" is Chemelosian, described as "...the patron of assassins, poisoners, necromancers, conspirators, and those who kill for gain...".

So, pretty much everyone in the UD except the Svirniblin and Pech? smile.gif

I thought a pagani was one of the new sandwich offerings at Panera.

Quite possible. The one thing I know for certain is you cannot get a Panera Bread at Panera Bread.
Kanada Ten
The reverence and invoking of saints is actually kind of a hold-over from pre-Christian times. Kinda like having a god for every occasion, only not. In late Roman times, the saints were even worshipped in the same manner (gifts of food, libations, etc.) as various gods were.

Which again is seen in Voodoo and Santeria. I personally brought this into my version of the PCC with the worship of Pueblo gods as angels and saints by X'ican priests.
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (Solstice)

What?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012