Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Falling rules
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
James McMurray
Can someone point me to the falling rules?
FlakJacket
Shadowrun Companion, page 46.
James McMurray
Thanks!

So why is it that falling happens faster if there are people with higher initiatives?

Falling also lets you shoot faster by giving you an init of 30?
tisoz
QUOTE (James McMurray)
So why is it that falling happens faster if there are people with higher initiatives?

It does not.

Falling also lets you shoot faster by giving you an init of 30?

So you can go out with a bang?

This has got to be the best way to increase an unaugmented characters initiative. Fall a meter or two. Only need to resist 2L. No walking or running modifiers. 3 actions a turn.
James McMurray
A falling character has a "falling action" once per intiative pass. At that time the character is considered to have fallen a number of meters equal to 40 times the number of initative passes (including the current one) spent in rapid descent.

Normally a character will fall 120 meters per turn (once at 30, 20, and 10). But if there is someone with an intiative of 31, they fall an additional 40 meters during that 3 second turn.

I suppose they meant that you have a falling intiative of 30, but otherwise use your normal init. Its the only way it really makes sense, but they could have been a bit clearer with their wording.
Kanada Ten
It should work like movement, with the distance divided by the number of passes.
Crimson Jack
And if you're falling off a Wiley Coyote cliff, you have to add an additional +10 "Oh Shit" modifier to your shot.
James McMurray
And you'll fall slower, because the first few intiative passes you'll forget about gravity and just stand there.
Crimson Jack
... and one turn taken up by the body falling, neck stretching, and head hanging around the location where the runner ran off the cliff to make a sad puppy dog eyed face. nyahnyah.gif
Garland
Is waving "goodbye" or holding up a sign a free action?
Crimsondude 2.0
Suckage is not having the SR3Comp and using the falling rules in SR3, which meant having to make an Athletics test and a soak test which cost me a point of karma to stage down a 2m drop from 2D to "I was in more danger slipping on the loose gravel I landed on."
tisoz
Where are the falling rules in SR3?
Crimsondude 2.0
I can't seem to find it, and it was sufficiently long ago that I really can't recall. It may have been FoF, although I could swear it was the SR3 book (which I had sitting in my lap the whole time because I was typing actions and rolling dice online as fast as possible). Either way, it was definitely the wrong effing book.

My PC didn't take any damage (He rolled Body and Athletics well enough to soak 2D to nothing), so it wasn't that big a deal. I would have liked that KP dice back for when he made a called shot at a physad charging him, but I still managed to get 14 net successes on that (rather, I got 14, he somehow got zero dodging/soaking), and the other NPCs failed their perception tests badly enough and long enough (really, it was a sight to see) for me to escape into the early morning.
tisoz
I remember a gamer mag blurb pointing out the silliness of the falling rule in previous editions. I was pretty sure that was one of the things I checked to see if they straightened out in 3rd edition. I thought they did.

I think the magazine blurb gave the odds of surviving a 2 or 4 meter fall by an average person. The odds were terrible, less than 5 or 10 percent.
Crimsondude 2.0
Well, eventually they fixed it in SR3Comp. Not in SR2Comp, though (although back in my day we had Athletics and Social Pools in our SRComp), at least not in mine.

But, yeah. My PC had Body 4, Athletics 4, and blew 1 KP dice to negate the damage.

I once posted the transcript of the whole fight. He's a bit over 6 feet tall, and I actually had him hanging from his window to make the drop and not die. Part of the humor was that it was 2m, and had his downstairs neighbors not already gone to work (Mexican Ork apartment complex) they'd have noticed his feet dangling outside their bed.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (tisoz)
I remember a gamer mag blurb pointing out the silliness of the falling rule in previous editions.

Ah yes, the Distance D falling rulles. Slip over, crack your head on the floor and die if you don't resist the 2D damage. Rather amusing considering falling over was more harmful to the average person than base damage from a heavy pistol. smile.gif
Grinder
I once played in a session where we (the characters) had to escape out of an apartment - the mafia was coming closer. So we jumped out of the window in the first floor. My Ki-Ad with Great Leap and Athlethics 6 avoided all damage, landed perfect and ran away. Our female mage with no athlethics and body 2 died of the falling damage of 2D. She botched the soaking of the falling damage, so it was Deadly. Shit happens.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012