Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is CHanneling?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
fistandantilus4.0
What exactly is channeling, and how does it work? I keep seeing stuff on it, and it sounds pretty well appreciated around here. So what the frag is it?
Kanada Ten
In short, Channeling allows a summoner to absorb a spirit they summoned and gain some of it's powers for a limited time. All the services of the spirit are used up by Channeling and their is a nasty drain following the time limit. Invoked spirits can even grant Immunity to Normal Weapons upon the channeller and stat bonuses.

And the Search Engine Works Too
toturi
Nasty combination. Invoking and Channeling.
tisoz
I was making a cheat sheet for channeling today and I may need corrected.

Do all spirits grant the immunity to normal weapons, or was it great form spirits only? If not, was there a benefit to channeling a great form?
Kanada Ten
Only Great Forms grant the Immunity and Stat Bonus. Some spirits have different powers in Great Form - and some spirit powers are domain limited, thus require Great Forms to extend (that last part is IIRC the channeller takes the weaknesses and limitations of the spirit).
fistandantilus4.0
Quick little metamagic tangent: absorbtion absorbs spells and gives you dice equal to your successes against the force, right? So the lower the force, the easier it is to take control of it. So why not have an ally, like an ally spirit or something, throw at spell at you at say force one, absorb it, and chuck it at someone else in a higher force spell?
Does this work? Anything I'm missing in it?
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
Quick little metamagic tangent: absorbtion absorbs spells and gives you dice equal to your successes against the force, right? So the lower the force, the easier it is to take control of it. So why not have an ally, like an ally spirit or something, throw at spell at you at say force one, absorb it, and chuck it at someone else in a higher force spell?
Does this work? Anything I'm missing in it?

That should work, but the Ally is more powerful using Aid Power in most cases.
Fortune
Also factor in the higher TNs while you have the bonus 'Absorbtion Pool'.

I agree with Kanada Ten, it is better to use an Ally as an extra Power Focus. More dice, without danger of Focus Addiction.
tisoz
QUOTE (Kanada Ten @ Feb 2 2005, 11:36 PM)
Only Great Forms grant the Immunity and Stat Bonus.

The stat bonus didn't sound right. Went and read it reeeaaaaall slloooooow.

Need great form for immunity to normal weapons. Regular spirit will endow stat bonus. Good point about special powers in great form, have to add that reminder to the cheat sheet.

[edit] LOL, found the sheet, already had it noted.
fistandantilus4.0
Not if you have a relativley minor (say F3 or 4) ally with your (usually) 6 sorcerery form the sorcery power.

On the same note though, if you have spell defense as a specialization, do the dice you allocate still count against your sorcery for casting spells? what about the other way around? if you specialize in spell casting, san you have spellcasting of say 7, and put all 5 dice from your sorcery skill into spell defense at no detriment to spell casting?
toturi
You'd have 2 dice for spellcasting.
fistandantilus4.0
Thanks, that's what I was looking for. The other way seemed pretty cheap, just wanted to double check.
Just to clarify, if the example was the Spell defense 7, sorcery 5, put 5 dice into spell defense, would that still leave you with 2 dice for spellcasting, since the spell defense is 2 above the 5 sorcery? Or does 5 dice for spell defense from the spec 7 jsut waste 3 extra dice that you could have used?
Kanada Ten
Not if you have a relativley minor (say F3 or 4) ally with your (usually) 6 sorcerery form the sorcery power.

That's still 3 or 4 free dice with no +2 penalty. With Absorption you're limited to the number of successes the spirit got. Plus the drain.
Cynic project
I dislike this metamagic. It is like yo you voodoo people, your nifty trick,that sets you apart from other magical type,is now open to everyone.
Vertaxis666
My magic-fu is not great. Which book(s) have the rules on Channelling?
tisoz
Target: Awakened Lands, aka the Australia Sourcebook.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012