Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Definative Yakuza?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Mr Crisp
I was wondering if there was a publication solely devoted to organized crime. That describes all the different factions and what they get up to in the 6th world.
Fortune
Well, the Underworld Sourcebook comes to mind, as well as Shadows of the Underworld and Mob War.
FrostyNSO
New Seattle actually has a decent bit about organized crime. We're running a Yak campaign right now. It's great! Good luck, man.
Snow_Fox
Fortune covered the publications. for non-cannonical stuff there are movies out there that can also give you and idea. Black Rain with Michael Douglas comes to mind most readily.
Large Mike

In Canon, the only place they are detailed is Underworld Sourcebook. Out of canon, I've found Yakuza: Japan's Criminal Underworld, expanded edition, to be pretty damn authoritative on the subject, although it's fairly weighty, and you might not want to paruse it unless you're genuinly interested in them. For a more personal touch, and a bit lighter of a read, I recommend Yakuza Diary, by Christopher Seymore.

Or, as I'm always happy to share the wealth on one of my favorite subjects, you could harass me personally with a PM full of questions.
Fortune
QUOTE (Large Mike @ Feb 7 2005, 02:37 AM)
Or, as I'm always happy to share the wealth on one of my favorite subjects, you could harass me personally with a PM full of questions.

Or you could ask here so that everyone could benefit from Large Mike's answers. wink.gif
Large Mike

That too.
Paul
If you need any help findign the book, or with understanding it, or even just questions on its contents please ask. Underworld was a real popular book, I'm betting more than a few of us have it.
Wounded Ronin
I suggest watching "Showdown in Little Tokyo" and "Crying Freeman" the live action film.

Remember, there must be men in black suits with katanas.
kevyn668
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
I suggest watching "Showdown in Little Tokyo" and "Crying Freeman" the live action film.

Remember, there must be men in black suits with katanas.

And sunglasses.
mfb
check.
Crimson Jack
There has to be at least one blonde Yak as well. Optional ice blue cybereyes. wink.gif
Buck Satan
Yeah I am running a hybrid magic/ underworld campaign right now so far it is lots of fun. The party has managed to really get on the yaks and the mafia's bad side. So far they have been running against the two and Lonestar with the help of Seattle and Cal Free States Seopola Rings. Anyways recently three of my five players were taken down by the star and are awaiting a possible rescue whenever the current party (a rigger and a decker) can catch the star with their pants down.
Scratch
There has to be at least one blonde Yak as well. Optional ice blue cybereyes.

Suddenly I am reminded of 'Kakihara' from Ichi the Killer
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (Scratch)
There has to be at least one blonde Yak as well. Optional ice blue cybereyes.

Suddenly I am reminded of 'Kakihara' from Ichi the Killer

::nod::

Mind Probe me, eh? biggrin.gif
Toshiaki
Brother Kakihara, if you're not going to give me a hit, just go ahead and kill me. Come on Brother Kakihara.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (mfb)
check.

Lot of black Yakuza, are there?
CanvasBack
Sure. Just check out Brother.

Actually, a very good movie and it deals with the behavior and traditions of the Yakuza quite well.
DocMortand
QUOTE (Crimson Jack)
There has to be at least one blonde Yak as well. Optional ice blue cybereyes. wink.gif

Unless he/she is blue-banded from RA:S....
Mr Crisp
Snapped up a copy of New Seattle, very good place to start for me. Seoulpa and Mafia info was very helpful also. Tracking down a copy of Underworld Source is proving hard, but i haven't exhausted all avenues.

I'm out of the loop regarding the blonde Yak with Ice blue cybereyes, but up to speed with most of the movies. I think you may also find Rising Sun with Snipes and Connery pertinent to the Japanese culture of business and etiquette.

Since you guys are pretty keen on the Yaks, i have some questions;

1. Are there any rules for the Honuri? ( I think i spelt it right. i.e. the body tattoos the Yakuza receive to express their loyalty to their Oyabun. Spell Foci? Or do they identify rank, or just tell a story that the Yak wants to live out?)

2. Any rules out there for 'duels' or Iaijutsu? (Yeah! Men in black suits duelling with Katanas.)

3. Rules for Japanese Magic? ( Even if it's not 3rd Edition stuff.)

4. 6th world methods of recruitment for the different Rengo & Gumi. Also how 'traditional' the different factions are.
Large Mike
1. The tattoos a had for much the same reason anyone would get tattoos. They display qualities one likes to think they have, occationally show group loyalty, and look badass. Furthurmore, they serve as a very unofficial and very loose mark of status. Tattoos are *expensive*. Someone with alot of tattoos obviously does okay, financially.

2. Yes. They're called melee combat rules. The only addition I could see for the situation would be a 'staredown test' (a la Cyberpunk) and making sure to remember to use that surprise test to see if anyone moves monumentally faster than the other.

3. There's an entry in MitS for Shinto miko. They're traditionally shamans, often with patron kami as totems. In addition, they summon ancestor spirits instead of spirits of man.

4. I can only assume they would recruit much the same as ever. They'd take the brighter stars from japanese bike gangs and those delinquints that were sent to them by their families. There are a few other ways in, but those are the most common.

As for how traditional the various gumi and rengo are within the setting, I'm sure that your copy of New Seattle has all the applicable info on the gumi in question.
U_Fester
QUOTE (CanvasBack)
Sure. Just check out Brother.

Actually, a very good movie and it deals with the behavior and traditions of the Yakuza quite well.

Agreed. Bother is a great movie and help explains certian motivations of the Yakuza and why they do things.
Paul
QUOTE (Mr Crisp)

1.  Are there any rules for the Honuri?  ( I think i spelt it right.  i.e. the body tattoos the Yakuza receive to express their loyalty to their Oyabun.  Spell Foci?  Or do they identify rank, or just tell a story that the Yak wants to live out?)

Yes, I believe in the Underworld Source Book they cover this.

2.  Any rules out there for 'duels' or Iaijutsu?  (Yeah!  Men in black suits duelling with Katanas.)

Am I wrong in saying SOTA 2063 here? Not quite what you want, but maybe it would help.

3.  Rules for Japanese Magic?  ( Even if it's not 3rd Edition stuff.)

Magic in the Shadows.

4.  6th world methods of recruitment for the different Rengo & Gumi.  Also how 'traditional' the different factions are.

The Underworld Sourcebook is as close I think it gets to this.
Wounded Ronin
Just some background info on honor and whatnot as portrayed in spaghetti Japanese yakuza films.

In many old yakuza films, the premise is that there are good yakuza who are basically traditionalists, and bad yakuza who are modernists who have business relations with foreigners.

The good yakuza have a kind elderly oyabun who seeks to promote honor and temperment. For some good reason, he urges his yakuza not to go down and attack the evil yakuza.

However, the evil yakuza are all evil and sell out to the foreigner. In the end, the stoic heroic main character, kneeling at the bedside of the good oyabun must emit tears of rage, renounce his connection with his clan so as not to drag them into any kind of trouble, and head off alone to the den of the evil yakuza. Sometimes he will be joined by his faithful buddy and there will be a long cinematic walk to the evil yakuza place with manly music and cherry blossoms falling.

Finally, the good guy or good guys appear at the bad yakuza den and proceed to slaughter all the bad yakua with a katana. The bad yakuza, being all western and evil, shoot him a lot with firearms, but he eats the rounds like they're so many natto beans over rice and goes and slaughters all the bad yakuza. Following this, he main character dies of his wounds under a cherry blossom while many music plays, and you just want to cry with bittersweet emotion.
Large Mike

And this movie has been repeated over, and over, and over. And over again. And they just eat it with a spoon. Or they did at one point. I don't know about now.
Wounded Ronin
biggrin.gif Thus making it that much more authoritative as source material.
Large Mike

*sigh* WR, you know I love you, but I hate you *so* much.
Mr.Platinum
Part of my game is played really close to the Nishidon-Gumi in redmond.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012