Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Racial Tensions in you game.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
algcs
Our group had a run in that involved a pro-metahuman poli club that was being harrassed by a Humanis poli club. Really fun seeing that the 4/5ths of the group was metahuman. Seeing the Humanis poli club and a nearby Human only bar were each car bombed, we at an open street war.

It will be interesting to see how everyone else treats this in the game.
Jrayjoker
I've used militant factions of MOM in the past to subvert the Humanis side of things. Never openly though.
nezumi
Right now the party is hired to steal a small containment box from a research corp. What they don't realize is inside is a nanomachine designed to destroy plasticrete, and their J plans on releasing it in ork-only communities.

The only meta in the group is a dwarf, but I don't think they'll appreciate it when the FBI comes around asking questions...
algcs
That is nasty. Mr Johnson should hire them to plant bugs (nano dispensers) in parts of the Ork communities.

Ours started with a human female getting beaten and dumped in a park by a Humanis group cause she was a metahuman activist. The group was hired to dispense justice seeing Lone Star didn't have a good answer for the parents. Now a Humanis building and a Humanis friendly business are piles of rubble. Someone is going to pay.
Smiley
We only see racial tension in a South Park sense.

Player 1: "Way to botch that stealth roll. That was tremendous."
Player 2: "Shut up, you dirty keeb!"
Player 1: "Don't call me a keeb, you f****** trogg!"
hahnsoo
We run in Ute Nation... anti-Anglo prejudice FAR exceeds anti-metahuman prejudice, except in Las Vegas and Salt Lake City. The only character that is even half Amerind is my character. More than once, plans that would have worked well in Seattle have been run afoul because of anti-Anglo prejudice.
Crimson Jack
I run it a bit more covert than is probably desired by the writers. I don't like racial hatred to be an overpowering theme in my games, although it is ever present. When I'm creating my NPCs, I generally write whether they have any biased feelings towards different races. Policlubs generally take a back seat to my written runs, but I tend to throw in an element of their handiwork every 10th run or so.
JaronK
My game has 3 humans and a troll. They've currently been hired to stop something that's been killing Ares security gaurds... it turns out that this thing has been killing folks in the barrens for years now, but hasn't been stopped because nobody cared as long as it wasn't killing important people. Now that two Ares gaurds are dead, suddenly it matters that this thing be destroyed. However, in the process of hunting this thing through the barrens, the party is meeting an Orc gang that I modeled after the black panthers, and I'm trying to get them in some way involved with the metahuman rights movement.

JaronK
Club
At a convention this weekend I ran Brainscan I (Great convention scenario, though you might have to take out the second run due to time constraints). One the way home, through Aftermath, the two elves I had playing ran into three Night Hunters, including one with the Street Sam archtype (Modified for more cyberblades) from SR3. After some banter and threats, the Hunters tried to have some fun, and found out they were hunting hunters. eek.gif Girls are brutal!!

I voted Covert War, or maybe a step worse.

If you can find it, read Changeling. I found it a couple days ago.
Grinder
In my games there are some factions like humanis or mom who regularly clash, as well as meta-type gangs. Prejudices work in both ways, so a human hanging around in an ork-community is likely to get in trouble. Same goes for an dwarf in a human neighboorhood. It ranges from "secret missions" to open warfare on the street, depending on the security level. The worse the level, the more open is the conflict.

I think it's important for the dark future feeling that racism is present and becoming worse in comparision with today.
Mr.Platinum
I a place i like to call the ville, hate crimes hapen. it part of the turf. Heck if a character is racist is some times character, but he gets it back also.
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (Mr.Platinum)
I a place i like to call the ville, hate crimes hapen. it part of the turf. Heck if a character is racist is some times character, but he gets it back also.

uh... what?
kevyn668
QUOTE (algcs)
Ours started with a human female getting beaten and dumped in a park by a Humanis group cause she was a metahuman activist. The group was hired to dispense justice seeing Lone Star didn't have a good answer for the parents. Now a Humanis building and a Humanis friendly business are piles of rubble. Someone is going to pay.

"If you have a problem and no one else can help...if you can find them, maybe you can hire..."

<cue theme music>
algcs
QUOTE (kevyn668)
"If you have a problem and no one else can help...if you can find them, maybe you can hire..."

<cue theme music>

Maybe if the theme music is Ice-T singing Body Count.

I don't remember the A-team car bombing a building full of people.
Crimson Jack
Did anyone ever die in the A-Team?
Club
Who or what is A-team, beyond a tv show?

Edit sorry, poorly stated. should have been what is the A-team tv show
Fresno Bob
Its...a TV show. Nothing beyond that.

Go Mr. T!
Crimson Jack
I dunno if its anything but a TV show. That's all I was referring to... indifferent.gif
algcs
QUOTE (Crimson Jack)

I just googled it and only one person ever died on the show.

betageek
My campaign, tho based in Seattle, has a tendency to go international fairly often, so I bounce back and forth between DEFCON ratings depending on where you are and who's in charge. The overall tone is pretty hostile, and turns violent whenever the 12 or so other plotlines aren't enough for everyone involved...
Grinder
QUOTE (algcs)
Maybe if the theme music is Ice-T singing Body Count.

Born Dead?

Born elf,
Born ork,
Born dwarf,
Born troll,
Born dead
Dead
Born dead
Ed Simons
QUOTE (algcs)
QUOTE (Crimson Jack @ Feb 7 2005, 11:04 PM)

One time a friend of the A-Team was killed off camera before the start of the episode. Another time, a criminal was killed off camera during the commercial break by other criminals.

The only people ever wounded were two members of the A-Team. Yes, you guessed it, off camera before the start of the episodes. smile.gif

And some people complained about the show being violent. ohplease.gif
Xirces
QUOTE (Ed Simons)
One time a friend of the A-Team was killed off camera before the start of the episode. Another time, a criminal was killed off camera during the commercial break by other criminals.

The only people ever wounded were two members of the A-Team. Yes, you guessed it, off camera before the start of the episodes. smile.gif

And some people complained about the show being violent. ohplease.gif

I actually remember when the first series of a the A Team was broadcast in the UK and I wasn't allowed to watch it due to the violence frown.gif

(My parents were extremely liberal, but still scoff at what I allow my own child to watch and listen to...)

The issue, and it's one I appreciate was not the violence, per se, but the lack of reaction and result. Quite simply - what's the result of shooting a gun? (simplified answer) Someone dies - but not on the A Team. There's no responsibility, no reaction, just violence.

I'd actually prefer for children (of the appropriate age) to see someone dying of blood loss as it might show that violence isn't fun.

/OT
U_Fester
QUOTE (algcs)
QUOTE (Crimson Jack @ Feb 7 2005, 11:04 PM)

Oh pretell, who was the person that died?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012