Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Modifying Headware Memory
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Karayan
I've come across numerous game references to modifying the contents of headware memory instantaneously. For example, Johnny the Street Sam takes mental notes concerning a meet with Mr. Johnson, and saves them to his headware memory. He can call them up later at will, scrolling them through his display link just like the contents of any other file in memory. My question is, is that actually possible?

To record sound into headware memory, a person needs an ear recorder. To store images, an eye camera of some sort is needed. To view text and images within the confines of one's head, a display or image link is a must have. In our game, we've always played it such that notetaking, or anything comparable, must be undertaken with some utility beyond the memory itself. The common answer would be to create a file on a Pocket Secretary and pipe it into memory through a jack.

I'm interested in hearing others' take on this situation. Do you go by one or the other of the cases above? Or do you perhaps allow a Read/Write utility for headware memory to be uploaded and allow on the fly modification that way? If there any rules that have addressed the situation, a page reference would be great. smile.gif
motorfirebox
i don't see a problem with assuming that headware memory comes with a read/write 1 program burned in as firmware.
Link
To make headware memory a bit more useful, you could treat the cyber-memory as a computer, in the same manner that computers are described by their memory size in SR.

In other words, you could run ultilities according to the quantity of your headware memory, or even programme software with enough memory, according to the rules in Matrix.

Also, you could run memory doubling programmes like in Johnny Mnemonic;)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012