Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NSRCG mac version
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Burning Chrome
Sorry if this has been asked before, but a search turned up nothing. Is there, or will there be, a mac version of the NSRCG?
Tanka
Probably not. VB doesn't translate to anything that a Mac reads. So unless somebody wants to hardcode one themselves, it probably won't happen.
Kagetenshi
We've had a platform-independent character generator (not affiliated with NSRCG) in the works for the past year or so at SotSW, but our sole coder is currently having his soul eaten by the operating system he's writing for class, so I can't state anything for timeframe.

~J
Tanka
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
[...]but our sole coder is currently having his soul eaten by the operating system he's writing for class[...]

May whatever deity he believes in give him peace...
Adam
There was some discussion on ShadowRN today about it being possible to port the source of The Shop to RealBasic via a VB -> RealBasic conversion program, but two things stand in the way for this happening with NSRCG:

1. NSRCG uses several custom controls that I doubt RealBasic would understand. Not huge, as it would just be interface re-coding.

2. More importantantly, McMackie no longer distributes the source.
Tanka
Outside of the custom controls and such, with enough time and thought I could probably decompile it (though I do believe that goes against his EULA, doesn't it?) and get it that way.

However, I don't have the time (mostly) and giving it thought is just beyond my own energy at the moment, so I'm going to be lazy and just go to sleep instead. nyahnyah.gif
Connor
It is a shame that as large as the mac using shadowrun population is, none of us are competant enough coders to get something put together. That or none of us has the time to put towards such a project.

mcmackie
QUOTE (Adam)
There was some discussion on ShadowRN today about it being possible to port the source of The Shop to RealBasic via a VB -> RealBasic conversion program, but two things stand in the way for this happening with NSRCG:

1. NSRCG uses several custom controls that I doubt RealBasic would understand. Not huge, as it would just be interface re-coding.

2. More importantantly, McMackie no longer distributes the source.

To be honest, most of the decision (to not distribute) comes from having the source available for over a year with little or no real input. There were decent suggestions (make Cyber/Bioware like Gear with a tree organization) but really no real progress.
This combined with the "I can write a better program than that!" or "A good programmer would have an option to include my house rule."
This resulted in a fealing of ... meh. frown.gif
However, since I don't seem to have all of the time I need to devote to this project (Real life job, etc), I'm going to change my policy.
I want to make sure the community benefits so:
1) I would like to preserve the DAT file structure if possible. I don't want two or more different formats to update, maintain, and other fragementary effects. If it is decided to change, any solution (including XML) would have to be able to run in NSRCG. I understand that NSRCG would have to be modified (I might need some help with that as I'm not an XML expert, just a dabbler). I would also like to preserve the names of the people who contributed. I didn't type all of this stuff in and it's only fair.
2) I would like a letter from the programmer that wants the source code have a real email address (not Hotmail, etc). It should outline a freeware agreement. Most of you go to school or have an ISP address so it shouldn't be a problem. This is to protect everybody. There were commercial versions for sale once upon a time and I want to prevent that. Imagine if somebody changes 3 lines of code and that trys to sell it, nope.
I want an agreement to stay SR3 compliant. That is, I don't mind you writing a version for your house rules and personal use, just don't distribute the house version. If everybody did it and distributed their version, imagine the chaos. Of course, any improvements should come back to me for inclusion in the next version.
I imagine I'll think of other ideas/restrictions later but I believe this is fair so far.

Question: Is the Quick Basic (I looked at it too) program going to have a Windows version as well? I don't mind one way or the other.
Think about it... progress in Shadowrun programs had stopped prior to my programs (dice roller, the slow moving SRTracker frown.gif, DATviewer) and how we have progress again. Now we have a synergistic energy going. Progress on Shop and various web based solutions are great! I certainly didn't make it all happen but NSRCG enabled it.
Adam
RealBasic can compile the same source to Mac and Windows native binaries, with all the correct widgets.

I reckon it would take some extra coding to make sure that each version met the interface guidelines for each OS, though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012