Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GM/Player Age
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Crimson Jack
This poll accompanies the gender question. Again, just curious as to who is playing the game, age-wise.
TeOdio
What if you are Immortal?
I'm just waiting for the genetics test to confirm it.
nuyen.gif nuyen.gif nuyen.gif
Charon
Grrr. Lousy birthday. I can no longer belong to the 20-25 group. Now I have to be lumped with guys that are 30, for crying out loud!
DocMortand
You got no sympathy here...I'm nearly into the 31-35 bracket. *cries*
Diesel
Group is four 18> year olds, 2 male, 2 female. We're all HS age, I'm just more draft-worthy. wink.gif
torzzzzz
wobble.gif

im in the 30 group too now aggggggh! note to my self, i must start trying to be more resposible!

torz
Fresno Bob
Damn, I'm the only 17 year old here.
Grinder
Better than belonging to the nearly 30-year-old guys. Damn' birthday, damn 26. year of life. wink.gif

Hopefully wisdoms comes with age.
Shockwave_IIc
I'm 27. My Mates have been ribbing me for the last year that i have only 3 years to go till i die. I get reborn again at 40 according to their idea.
Drain Brain
I turned 26 in mid January.

I haven't looked back since...

Of course at my age, that's because I'm in too much back pain to effectively turn my head, and because if I look back I get all maudlin about things I should have done in my youth, wonder about my choice of fiancee and generally get depressed...

frown.gif
Fortune
I'll be turning 43 real soon. eek.gif
DarusGrey
Funny..I'm only 23 but feel so damn old considering I've been an avid gamer since the age of 8.

15 years seems like such along time to basically have this stuff as only major hobby ;>, ah well..heres to another 15 and then some!.
Paul
I turn 30 on the 16th. Mentally I am still sweet sixteen, of course that's the sum of the four 4 year olds inside my head.
Mumbles
Just turned 41, maybe I should change my name to Old Man Mumbles
Pistons
Psssh. Some of you folks can quit wailing about how "old" you are, now. I'm 33 -- I'm not old.
Rakshasa
I'm the 1.96%.

Started Running when it first came out and I'm 62 this year!!! Mind you, I don't look it.

Salt & Pepper long hair in a pony tail and I dress like a Biker, which I used to be!! biggrin.gif

Oh, and I live with Drain Brain and his mother!!! frown.gif
Kagetenshi
I'm, um… almost 20?

Incidentally, Rakshasa, at time of posting the <18 category had 1.96% for it. Want to change your story? grinbig.gif

~J
Jrayjoker
Its nice to know I still fall within the standard deviation...I'm 33, the same age that Jesus died at! Lucky me.
Smiley
Learning a few people's ages has surprised me. Learning a few others' has explained some things...

So yeah, I'm 23 and am the about the median age in the group.
Rakshasa
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Incidentally, Rakshasa, at time of posting the <18 category had 1.96% for it. Want to change your story? grinbig.gif

Yep, noticed that as I logged out!!! Gornsarnit!!

And to think I passed my Math exam in Statistics - mind you that was 1957, last century - oops, last Millenium!!! Boy am I OLD!!!!
Aku
just turnned 22 on the 8th of this month, yea me! i feel old too, i've been playing all sorts of games, whether tabletop, console or computer since i was a little kid.
The Grifter
23 here.
Pthgar
I'm going to be 30 in about 24 days. I love getting older. I can't wait to be a cranky old man. Red Forman is my hero.
U_Fester
QUOTE (Pthgar)
I'm going to be 30 in about 24 days. I love getting older. I can't wait to be a cranky old man. Red Forman is my hero.

Red Foreman Rocks. I only have about 22 years (33 now) to become him.
Prospero
27 here, so I'm close to the mean age around here. Been gaming now for... 12 or 13 years. It's hard to remember things like that at my age... grinbig.gif
Crimson Jack
Well, I'm 31 and don't feel old at all. The youngest member of my play group is 28 and the oldest is me. nyahnyah.gif
LinaInverse
38. Quit complaining you young whippersnappers...
MYST1C
I chose "26-30" because it's only three more weeks til my 26th birthday.
Zolhex
Well I'm 33 but only for 2 more days lol.

But hey I'm good in my age group till 2007 then I have to move to a new one lol.
CanvasBack
Don't worry. The only way you'll lose your peers is if you or they drop out of the breathing cycle.

Catsnightmare
I don't want to do the exact math but I think I'm either 30 or 31. Or maybe I turn 31 later this year. I forget, after 21 in the US you're old enough for everything except senior discounts and don't need to really keep track after that cause age is mostly irrelevant.
kevyn668

27ish. Fortunately I look like I'm about 19 and I work at a college. All the coeds think I'm just dressed up for my internship. smile.gif

(stupid employee handbook regs...)
Foreigner
I'll be 41 on May 30th.

Mentally, I'm about 17. nyahnyah.gif

I'm not certain, but I think that the other members of my group (as I've said before, I 'run with Sahandrian's Play-by-AOL-Instant-Messenger campaign) are all in their late teens or early twenties.

It's rather disconcerting being both the oldest and least experienced gamer in the group.

eek.gif

--Foreigner
Crimson Jack
I suppose I expected the numbers to look as they do here. Question: Why do you think there is a drop-off in gaming as people age? I suppose this could be asked for any type of gaming, but since it does pertain to Shadowrun, it specifically.

My thoughts on this have something to do with the Peter Pan Syndrome (PPS). As people age and grow mentally older, they shrug off the trappings of their youth, forget the sparkle and luster of their imagination, and generally just age out of it. As real life concerns become increasingly more and more paramount (bills, raising kids, bills, marriage, bills, divorce, etc), they forget to take the time off to escape via game night.

Does it get "geekier" as one grows older? It's an interesting thing to think about, since its fairly apparent that it is a younger person's world.
kevyn668
QUOTE (Crimson Jack)
I suppose I expected the numbers to look as they do here.  Question:  Why do you think there is a drop-off in gaming as people age?  I suppose this could be asked for any type of gaming, but since it does pertain to Shadowrun, it specifically.

My thoughts on this have something to do with the Peter Pan Syndrome (PPS).  As people age and grow mentally older, they shrug off the trappings of their youth, forget the sparkle and luster of their imagination, and generally just age out of it.  As real life concerns become increasingly more and more paramount (bills, raising kids, bills, marriage, bills, divorce, etc), they forget to take the time off to escape via game night.

Does it get "geekier" as one grows older?  It's an interesting thing to think about, since its fairly apparent that it is a younger person's world.

Its not that they want to stop playing. They have other stuff to do. It happens all the time and not jsut with RP games. Most of us here have "best friends" from high school or college that we lost (or are losing) thouch with. It's just how it goes.

Look at Frosty's thread on how to kill his character. There comes a time when RL demands more attention. In his case and many others, its a justified call.

"You don't stop playing because you grow old. You grow old because you stop playing."
-Unknown
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (kevyn668)
"You don't stop playing because you grow old. You grow old because you stop playing."
-Unknown

That's PPS. smile.gif
TeOdio
QUOTE (Crimson Jack)
Does it get "geekier" as one grows older? It's an interesting thing to think about, since its fairly apparent that it is a younger person's world.

I'm 29, and when I started really getting addicted to gaming when I was 16, there were plenty of grey-hairs playing in the games I played as well. I've been lucky enough to see the "wide" Gamer spectrum. I'm the "white dude" that plays yet still has plenty of time for reality as well. I'm married, and my wife doesn't game. She humors my hobby, but I couldn't care less if she did or not, it's what I like to do a couple of hours a week with friends. Has my gaming cut back since I've gotten older. Yeah. But every time I started dating someone new when I was younger that cut into my playing time as well. I guess I really don't see me being a gamer as a Stereotype. I'm a Geek, but I've also known Black geeks, White geeks, Asian geeks, Old geeks, Young geeks, Cop geeks, Military geeks, Hot (Female) geeks, Chick Magnet geeks, Gay geeks, Lesbian geeks... whew. Let's just say I've gamed with a lot of folks from a lot of different backgrounds. Some look like they jumped out of the pages of Knights of the Dinner Table, others look like the preppy jocks from high school.
So to answer the question, no, it isn't any geekier. As you get older, you get to embrace the inner geek more readily though.
rotate.gif
Rieal82
only 22 here been gaming for ...err way to long. i must have been 7 or 8 when i started playing DnD with my mom. wow looking back on it i was a losser then rotfl.gif
Rakshasa
As the oldest Runner in town (0.81%) I feel qualified to comment here.

I have never grown up, yet I've cleared 2 mortgages, had 19 mistresses and 1 marriage - still going. My RP life has always been sacrosanct, whatever responsibilities I've had/have. it may have something to do with being an actor, the more traditional form of roll play, but I think it's more to do with just not taking life too seriously.

I'll keep on creating Characters and playing whatever comes my way - even when the Altzeimers kicks in and I'm in the nursing home - s'long as I've got a link to the net, and a nurse to harrass, I'll die a happy Runner. biggrin.gif
Drain Brain
As Rakshasa's only son, I'll vouch for that...

The dirty old bastard has an insatiable lust for life, even if his other qualities can be hard to spot sometimes, but I can never thank him enough for introducing me to roleplaying.

When other parents read their kids bed-time stories, he was letting me decide what would happen in them - turning me onto a little baby roleplayer there and then. Later, when I got the whole "pen and paper" thing in my head, it got even better.

Yeah, I'm a geek, but I'm not a roleplay geek. I'm a geek for all sorts of reasons, but roleplaying isn't one of them. Roleplaying is cool and I'll do it til I die. And after, if they'll let me.

As an aside, I'm also thankful because in retrospect, looking at what a help roleplay (and the mechanics thereof) has been to my heavily dyslexic friend, I realise how much it helped me grasp fundamental mathematics, science and numerous other things which have helped to make me a well rounded person in my adult life.

We are gamers. We are cool. Some of us are decrepit old sods, some just out of diapers. What can you do? wink.gif
Moirdryd
DS`s sole Over 60`s (listed) gamer is from the UK. That rocks just a bit too much.
badmudderfugger
It's interesting to see how many 'lifer' gamers are on DS.

So, Shadowrun attracts the educated and world-wise gamers? cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012