Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GencCon
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
GlassJaw
Hi all. Just wondering if anyone is heading to GenCon this year. I'm actually going for the first time. Does anyone know what kind of presence FanPro will have there or what's planned for Shadowrun? I would love to do some SR gaming there.
Adam
As usual, there will be a pant-rocking Shadowrun tournament, a couple handfuls of four hour games, and another few handfuls of two hour introduction/demo games, all sponsored by FanPro. Plus the What's up With FanPro/Shadowrun? seminar, and usually a new product release.
Lindt
Bring extra socks. Youll need them when they get knocked off by your awesome con-team. We had, what, 20 give or take last year. Hope to see you's all and new faces too.
GlassJaw
Sweet! That tournament sounds awesome. Care to give any more details to a GenCon newb? grinbig.gif
mfb
preregister for games. if you don't, it'll be harder to play the types of games you want to play (eg, SR), especially since as a newb, you won't know where to look for pickup games and such. if there's a game you want in on, but you miss the prereg, buy a generic ticket at show up anyway. there's even odds that someone who was supposed to show, didn't; you'll get to jump in as their character, most times.

and if they have another SR LARP, get it on it. i'm not normally much on LARP'ing, but the guys who put it together last year (can't remember who they were) did a really sweet job with it.

also, try games you've never played. gencon's one of the best times to try out new games, since they're more likely to be run well than if you jump in with some random group in your hometown.
Critias
The LARP rules weren't particularly SR'ish, but neither were they particularly important. That game was a blast.
mfb
get out of the way! doctor coming through!
Paul
Who is in charge of organizing the Gen Con games?
RangerJoe
Being new to the con circuit, how do you run an SR tournament? It's an elimination based on karma awarded? body count? nuyen acquired? Or do you have a number of runner teams on the same run, trying to complete the adventure before the others can?
mfb
if it's anything like the ED tournament i was in, you basically have a bunch of groups playing the same scenario. the group that does it "best", according to a point system the guys in charage of the tournament create and adjudicate, wins.
Lindt
Yeah, pre-reg for EVERYTHING, and do it early. Some events fill up in the first few days of online reg. If MooCow is doing his BYOC bit again count on that being full immedently.
The Grifter
When and where is it being held this year?
mfb
there are four gencons to choose from.
The Grifter
Sweet, one in Indy, just a few hours away!
bitrunner
the one in Indy is THE Gencon...the main summer convention that moved from Milwaukee...when most people talk about Gencon, i believe they mean Gencon Indy...IMO, the rest are just pale comparisons...
GlassJaw
So who's actually going? cool.gif
mfb
assuming i still have money at that point, i am.
kevyn668
Ditto.
Necro Tech
Several of the SoCal Gm's are going (me included) and all you have to do is be near the Shadowrun tables to find an after hours pick up game.

Bug Grendel.
Pistons
Depending on finances, I may.
bitrunner
for those that play SR Missions, we'll have a full schedule - including the debut of story arc #6

as for the tournaments, they start with 12 tables...we used to do elimination, but players complained that they wanted to play the whole thing, so now it is non-elimination - everyone plays the same character along with the same group through the whole tournament (either 2 or 3 rounds). Each group is rated by their GM - you normally get a new GM each night...highest scoring team wins...

remember that for the tournament and most other FanPro SR events, characters are provided - anything with Shadowrun Missions (SRM) in the title requires you to create a character beforehand (see www.shadowrunrpg.com/missions for more info)
Adam
People owe me drinks, so I'll be going.
Lindt
Heheh. The .pdf bit it worth the money to buy and still get you drinks.
GlassJaw
Thanks for the info bitrunner. The tournie sounds fun, hopefully I can get into that.

How much SR knowledge is required for the tournie? Let's say your Matrix skills are not yet leet...
Adam
You'll be expected to know the rules for the character you end up playing; there are six characters per team, and players pick characters at the beginning of the first session.

The GM, obviously, can help you out, as will the other players, but if you don't know the Matrix rules very well, let someone else play the decker. wink.gif
mfb
decker? dibs. wait, no. rigger. wait, no. physad. shit!
GlassJaw
The GM, obviously, can help you out, as will the other players, but if you don't know the Matrix rules very well, let someone else play the decker.

Yeah, for my first time around in a tournie, I would prefer to stay away from the decker. I'm cool with everything else though.

I'm already psyched for GC. It's gonna be wiz!! spin.gif
grendel
QUOTE (Necro Tech)
Several of the SoCal Gm's are going (me included) and all you have to do is be near the Shadowrun tables to find an after hours pick up game.

Bug Grendel.

Yeah yeah, I'll run again. Standard rules apply: once the 2 liter of Dew is gone, the game is over.
Critias
I know I'll be there. I know I also might be running a few SR games, depending on just how motivated I get to try and earn that free Gencon ticket thingamajig. If I'm not spending all weekend running them, I may try and hop into a few SR games this year, even. I'm crazy, there's just no telling what the hell I'll play.

The Grifter
I'll be there long as I can get away from my vile corporate masters.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012