Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Creating new drugs
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
DocMortand
I got inspired when reading a webcomic called "NetherOak" that involved a new "recreational" drug called Noize. I therefore created this - please let me know how semi-realistic it is, whether it is game balanced and would you ever use it in YOUR game.

Noize
Noize is a joint development between Lovejoy Pharmaceuticals and the Yakuza, who are trying to create a new niche in the recreational pharmaceutical department. The drug, which is a pink pill with a N on it, has two major effects: 1) The user has a burst of healing activity similar to the effects of symbiotes (the effects stack) and 2) For a period of 12 hours the mental connections in the brain between visual and aural effects seems amplified - the effects of music seem to amplify light in the brain so you can almost "see" music. Also, depending on the music, there are effects - troll thrash rock causes homicidal rages, celtic music causes trance like states, punk rock causes...well, you can guess.

Game Effects
3 levels of Pain Tolerance for 3 hours
+2 dice for any athletics/combat test while music is playing
+2 dice for any quickness test while music is playing
if Hard Rock is playing, treat as "Combat Monster" flaw
if Alternative is playing, all perception TN +2
if Country is playing, user is depressed (Willpower checks TN +1)
Once it wears off, user is hyper-sensitive to all sounds and will react violently to any sound. Also, the user starts to hallucinate paranoid dreams. Wear off effects last for 36 hours.
Vector: Ingestion
Speed: 30 minutes
Addiction: 8M/8P
Tolerance: 2
Edge: 2/8
Fix Factor: 3 days
Price: ?

Never did figure out the price for it - what would people suggest? The initial hook was the drug was going to be released at a series of Rave parties and a rival corp (or the Mafia) hired the group to destroy or hijack the shipment before it got distributed.

(of course in the actual mission the group used white phosphorus grenades to blow up the entire warehouse, and the resultant smoke was hallucinogenic that got everyone within 5 blocks hooked on Noize...)

Comments are welcome, and if you've created a drug of your own post it here (after commenting on mine, please...smile.gif )

[edit] changed around so it was pain tolerance rather than uber heal [/edit]
hahnsoo
The "healing effect" feels way off-base to me. This means that a hit of the drug heals all the way up to an S physical wound (a miracle of medicine!). The only things I can think of that could heal wounds that quickly would be nanites or magic... if a pill can regenerate a gunshot wound, I'd really like to see it. I'd probably replace it with pain resistance. It sounds like you are trying to create a drug that amplifies the connections between the association centers and the auditory centers of the brain. The rest of the bonuses seem reasonable, although I would probably leave the music-related effects to GM discretion and the character's music preferences. Maybe Celtic music makes someone violently angry...
DocMortand
There is the magical compound "Immortal Flower" which grants the critter power of regeneration (M&M pg 123), but the disads are immense.

I think rather than go the pain editor route I'd rather go healing slower (i.e. a box per hour).

And of course other GMs can edit music preferences. smile.gif
hahnsoo
QUOTE (DocMortand)
There is the magical compound "Immortal Flower" which grants the critter power of regeneration (M&M pg 123), but the disads are immense.

I think rather than go the pain editor route I'd rather go healing slower (i.e. a box per hour).

And of course other GMs can edit music preferences. smile.gif

That still would be 3 boxes, a Moderate wound. Symbiotes don't heal you up that fast... I could see the justification of transferring maybe 1 physical box to stun damage (endorphins and your sympathetic nervous system kicking in, like a Trauma damper).
Joe Outside
Based on the effects I've seen in the webcomic Noize is based off of (glad to see I'm not the only one to come up with run concepts that way wink.gif ) Pain tolerance would be pretty much applicable, with perhaps a TN modifier for recovery checks made within the drugs active time period, since Noize just amped up the normal healing process somewhat.
DocMortand
Hmm...well that can be changed to 3 boxes of Pain Tolerance then. Thanks for the input, guys!
Fortune
And I think that's too weak. Why not just 1/2 or even 1/4 the normal healing times while under the drug's influence?
DocMortand
Heh then what would you recommend?
Fortune
As I said, "Why not just 1/2 or even 1/4 the normal healing times while under the drug's influence?"
Weredigo
Chocalert

Sugary Substance that can be mixed with any type of candy. Six hours after ingestion the effects kick in. Mnemonic Silencers seek out and Block out 1/2 to 1/3 of the available "Emotional Memory" of the victim. In effect rendering the victims mentally younger then thier current age. Parental aged adults become teenagers, teen agers become children, children become politicians. The effect lasts for 12 hours, or for as much time required for an adventurer's Martial Arts instructor to "do it" with the pupil's Mother, on the hood of a police car... twice.

For more info on this drug, watch BTVS, episode, BandCandy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012