Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Memento Mori
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Ancient History
Rest in peace, Nigel D. Findley, for all that you've given to us.
JongWK
*checks Aztlan*

You're right. It's been ten years and he still keeps the "Best SR Writer Ever" title. indifferent.gif

I keep wondering what could have happened to SR if he was still alive.
fistandantilus4.0
I always wondered why I didn't see any more titles by him . Now I know.
Definitely too bad. I pass out all of my novels to my players, they all agree his were the best too.
Fortune
R.I.P. You are not forgotten.
Grinder
Best SR-author ever.

Only the good die young...
toturi
We remember and I guess that's the best any author can hope for.
GlassJaw
Oh wow, I never knew that. I read all his SR novels back in the day. How did he pass?
fistandantilus4.0
Heart attack according to my google search. Can't find more than that. What else is there to say really. Also found out he wrote a lot more than I thought . Apparently there are other RPG's besides SR!? who knew!?
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (JongWK)
I keep wondering what could have happened to SR if he was still alive.

You probably wouldn't have been one of the people to write SoLA, assuming SoLA ever got made.
BookWyrm
Rest well, Nigel, you've earned it.
DrJest
RIP to a bloody good writer.

Pretty much everybody rated him highly. I think that's the kind of epitaph every writer would want.
Demonseed Elite
Damn good writer. Rest in peace, Nigel.
Drain Brain
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Rest in peace, Nigel D. Findley, for all that you've given to us.

Echo that... sterling author... missed.
HMHVV Hunter
Echo everything said here.

I haven't read much of Findley's stuff (most of what he wrote came out before I got into SR), but I've read "2XS," and it remains to this day one of the best SR novels I've ever read. I've been looking for "House of the Sun" for years, to no avail, but I'm still hoping to find it someday.

After 10 years, you're still missed, Mr. Findley.

Rest in peace.
Zolhex
House of the sun on ebay that is if you are willing to buy from there.

1st listing

2nd listing

Both are buy it now items.

From amazon.com the following listing for 38 different copy both new and used.

Amazon

There are a few places to get it hope this helps.
DocMortand
Yeah I have all his SR books...he is definately missed.

One does wonder how SR would have turned out indeed...
badmudderfugger
Ditto everything said here.

Aztlan remains one of the most enjoyable reads I've had (especially the bit with the horror-marked dragon...cool stuff).
The Grifter
R.I.P., chummer. Next beer's for you.
Sammiel
kudos to the man who created Argent, who remains one of my favorite Shadowrun characters to this day.

2xs was a great book.
Sepherim
I'd go for Dirk Montgomery, who proved that a normal character can be so cool without out-of-the-way implants, hoop-kicking mojo, or save-the-world plots... pity that this lesson seems forgotten in some novels that came afterwards.

RIP to the man that made Shadowrun come alive, with all it's down and gritty details.
Ombre
QUOTE (Sepherim @ Feb 21 2005, 05:22 PM)
I'd go for Dirk Montgomery, who proved that a normal character can be so cool without out-of-the-way implants, hoop-kicking mojo, or save-the-world plots... pity that this lesson seems forgotten in some novels that came afterwards.

RIP to the man that made Shadowrun come alive, with all it's down and gritty details.

Probably the best contributor to giving life to the Sixth World...things have never been the same since "Universal Brotherhood" and 2XS...

I really like Dirk Montgomery too, yet I recently discovered that this character is quite reminiscent of another cyberpunk character: check Marid Audran, the arabian private eye in Alec Effinger's "When Gravity Fails"..exactly the same kind of smooth-tongue hard-boiled detective proud of being 100% human meat and who ends up cybered against his own will at the end....
Crimsondude 2.0
I can't exactly praise the man who also gave us the two NAN volumes for being the greatest thing to ever hit SR. He was good. Just not that good.
HMHVV Hunter
QUOTE (Ombre)
QUOTE (Sepherim @ Feb 21 2005, 05:22 PM)

Probably the best contributor to giving life to the Sixth World...things have never been the same since "Universal Brotherhood" and 2XS...

I really like Dirk Montgomery too, yet I recently discovered that this character is quite reminiscent of another cyberpunk character: check Marid Audran, the arabian private eye in Alec Effinger's "When Gravity Fails"..exactly the same kind of smooth-tongue hard-boiled detective proud of being 100% human meat and who ends up cybered against his own will at the end....

I liked Dirk Montgomery too, but I really loved the wonderful way he was presented (in first person). It really put the reader into Dirk's head and let them identify with the reader. I think the fact that he was non-cybered might have helped that even more; I mean, how would any of us feel if we got our arm torn off and had it replaced by metal without any say in the matter?

In fact, the way he used that view inspired me to write my own SR stories (which I'm currently working on) in the same way.

Regretably, I didn't read much of his sourcebook material, though I thought I read somewhere he did Paranormal Animals of North America; if so, I have read that (gaming stores that sell used books rock smile.gif ). If I can find Aztlan or either of the NAN books, I'm picking those up.
TheQuestionMan
He was my favourite author for Shadowrun and I still miss him. I have a copy of the Aztlan Sourcebook with his name written inside. I got it shortly after he passes away. I always wondered if it was his. Some of the sections underlined in the book showed matched some of the writting in his books. I was always curious about that.

I met the author Lisa Smedman at V Con last year and when I asked how she got started it turned out that Nigel had introduced her to the industry. She talked fondly about him. Apparently he was quite the nice guy and an encouraging mentor.

My favorute Novel was Shadowplay, then 2XS, then Micheal Stackpoles stuff.

Cheers

QM
torzzzzz
Read a few of his books, they were really well written!
didn't know he had passed away....... all I can add is that I hope he is in a better place. RIP.

torz
Crimson Jack
Echo the other Crimson. His work was good enough to entice me to play the game for as long as I have, but considering what was out there at the time, it didn't have to be amazing to hook me. Still, R.I.P. Hard to believe its been 10 years since he kicked the bucket.
hermit
His novels were the best written for shadowrun, in my most humble opinion. They were much closer to the idea of cyberpunk than most others. Aztlan was great; possibly the best regional sourcebook out, to this day. I also loved the Hawaii book. Sadly, I lost my copy ... anyone know what it'll cost on ebay?

Damn, has it really been ten years already? How time passes ....

Rest in peace, Nigel. frown.gif
L.D
It was a great loss. frown.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012