Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: where'd you get your name?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
fistandantilus4.0
Just curious, after going after a few different posts about street names, how folks 'round here came up with different screen names. Just a little curious about where your names all came from (that and it's 7:05 saturday night, and I'm at work. SO bored). Some are pretty straight forward (AH), just kinda curious.
Mine for example, Fistandantilus is from the Dragon Lance novels (black robed mage for those of you that means anything to). They were the first books I ever really read out of looking for something to do and got me hooked into the whole RPG world.
Anyone have anything interesting or profound? Just pull it out of your butt?
Arethusa
Two parts greek myth, two parts obscurity, one part Percy Bysshe Shelley.
Moirdryd
Moirdryd is borrowed of course from Authurian legend with the spelling altered. He also features as a signature character in Laughing Pan Productions rpg Deliria, from the UK setting Wyre Mysterium.
Austere Emancipator
This screen name started out as a way of making fun of the angsty online-FPS-playing crowd as a combination of the Finnish word for "dark", "somber", "gloomy" or "grim" and a fashionable Finnish word equivalent to the English verb "to own". It quickly got literally translated to English as Grim Redeemer, which is what I often use as screen name these days. However, I deleted/made inaccessible that account, so I used a thesaurus to find a decent screen name of related meaning and style and ended up with this.
Ancient History
Pretty straight forward, neh?
Bastard
I am
toturi
Legend of the Five Rings CCG/RPG.
Joe Outside
A character in a webcomic I'm writing that's based off my personality. Also see: the person as far opposite from "Joe Cool" as humanly possible. nyahnyah.gif
Capt. Dave
Heh, this is a name that I got in high school, and it has stuck ever since.
Eyeless Blond
Here.

smile.gif
Zeel De Mort
Name of my first SR character.

Nothing more convoluted than that!
Dizzo Dizzman
First Shadowrun Character. I orginally got the name from some book I read when I was 12.
GlassJaw
One of my favorite bands and also the name of a character, who happened to be a former underground fight club fighter that would take dives for a mob soldier so he could win bets.
Shockwave_IIc
It's the name of the first SR Character of mine to last any length of time (Retirement). But i got that from the 2nd book of the firestorm "trilogy" from cyberpunk. The IIc part comes from the fact that it is the second incranation of myself on the Dumpshock site.

So it's not my favourite Transformer that would be Soundwave
Lindt
Name of a PC I was working on when I re-discovered dumpshock. Never ended up playing the twisted nut case.
Mr. Man
SR character I was playing when I first created a DSF account.

The character's name is an Animaniacs reference.
Crimsondude 2.0
I thought to myself, what's the most retarded name I could pick for a /. account?

And then when I lost my last account name to a email/password "mishap" I figured I might as well use it here. And then I added 2.0.
Club
I had temporary self esteem problems when I signed up, as per my sig. Don't worry, I got better.
FrostyNSO
They called me Frosty when I was in the military because I was always calm under pressure. Not my idea, blame the french.
Gyro the Greek Sandwich Pirate
Old nickname.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
They called me Frosty when I was in the military because I was always calm under pressure. Not my idea, blame the french.

And the NSO?

Strangely enough, you (Frosty), gyro, and eyelessblond were the ones I was wondering about the most. I think eyeless wins for humor so far though. spin.gif
Zolhex
Well this should be orginal lol my name is the first part of my companys name.

Oh and for anyone wanting to know the name means nothing.

My partner and I put the periods in so the name would stand out more.
Fresno Bob
*shrugs*

Jason Voorhees, from Friday the 13th. I like slasher movies. Go figure.
Kagetenshi
Conflation of the Japanese for shadow and for angel or spirit. The other names I use are a really old one that is the conflation of the names of myself, my mother, and my father (old family AOL account), Shadownet (after playing too much Shadowwraith), Archer (old laser tag callsign), and Durandal.

~J
Gyro the Greek Sandwich Pirate
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Feb 19 2005, 11:18 PM)
I think eyeless wins for humor so far though. spin.gif

Honestly, I was expecting something far more obscene.
Smiley
QUOTE (Capt. Dave)
Heh, this is a name that I got in high school, and it has stuck ever since.

Wooo, lemme tell you guys. It's a story worth hearing.

I was fresh out of boot camp and one of my instructors at MOS training was yelling at someone about something. I had to laugh. It was funny... at first.
FrostyNSO
NSO stands for Nuclear Security Officer.
John Campbell
My parents gave it to me.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (John Campbell)
My parents gave it to me.

Cheater nyahnyah.gif

~J
lorthazar
My favorite MERPS character Lorthazar the Silven Elf. A sociopathic archer/assassin who hated everyone but his sister, wife, kids and a dwarf by the name Bruenar. Had the record in our group for most PC's killed.
mfb
mine's an acronym that stands for "don't bother with Laughlyn".
JaronK
A character from a role playing game I made up when I was 10 was named Jaron Kayson, and I've used it and varients of it on AIM and other things since.

JaronK
Da9iel
I'm a little ashamed. I honestly can't remember if the character's name was Da5vid or Da5id. I suspect is was the former. He was a bit character in Snow Crash. I modeled my name after the same style. I liked that book.
Kagetenshi
Da5id.

~J
Puck Wildhorse, M.D.
Puck is the name of my current character, a dwarf mercenary. I got his name while taking a tour of the castle (schloss) in Heidleberg, Germany. There is a wooden statue of a dwarf named Puck who appearently drank a lot of beer and wine.

Wildhorse was the name of my American Indian rigger and I pretty much just pulled it out of my ass. The runner up name for this character was "Speaks to Engines" but it didn't flow all that well.

Doc was my first Shadowrun character, who was a former Lonestar coroner and crime scene investigator. He had a very high Biotech skill and was the team's combat medic.

Put 'em all together and you get my screen name.
AIM-54
Phoenix has been my callsign/alias practically since I began playing flight sims when I was 8 or so.

Phoenix was taken, so I went to the next best thing...the designation for the long range air-to-air missile carried by the F-14 and also nicknamed "Phoenix".
JoeJones
My parents gave me my callsign, too. I guess I'm just boring that way. (Of course, I have been accused of using an alias when I gave someone my real name....)
Arethusa
QUOTE (mfb)
mine's an acronym that stands for "don't bother with Laughlyn".

You know, I know what it stands for, and yet I can't help but read it as Mobile Fire Base.
mfb
i guess that's more flattering than some other possibilities that have been brought up. hilariously, when playing mechwarrior 3, i kept thinking, "how'd they know to name it after me?"
Herald of Verjigorm
Merely a thought that entertained me, but it would explain a few things.
Charon
Charon is the ferryman on the river Styx that carries the soul of the deceased into Hades, the land of the dead. And he gets paid to do this, too.

I figured it was nice code name for an NPC assassin, especially since it also happens to be a name that can be used in public without raising an eyebrow (in french, at least). The NPC ended being very memorable and so I recycled it for this site.
Kesh
Random thing I pulled out of the air. Later, I remembered that it was a character's name in the novel Spock's World.
Xirces
Y'know, I really have absolutely no idea.

I'm pretty sure I had an account here a few years before this one with a far more sensible and personal name, but, like so many others it got lost/trashed or something.

I would like to point out that I'm not affiliated to the use of this name /anywhere/ else, and I've never had a character use it.

I honestly suspect that I wanted a name beginning with "X" and just thought it sounded cool. Sad.
Jebu
From Robert Shea's book "Shike: Time of the Dragons", a warrior monk from 13th century Japan.
Dawnshadow
Dawnshadow: Name a friend gave a roleplay character who went through a VERY massive fundamental change. Not used in Shadowrun -- although the character is gets played in almost any RPG. He's one of my classics.

Damian: I like the name, and it fits. He likes bombs. He's really good at killing things. And it means 'Divine Power'.

Kincade: Liked the name when I heard it on 'Earth: Final Conflict'
paul_HArkonen
my personal twist on the name of the main character of Dune, for those of you who read the book you should understand why I twisted it that way, others will just be confused, which, oddly enough is exactly what I wanted.
mmu1
It's my old college e-mail ID - my inititals, followed by a number denoting how many other people before me had the same ones - I kind of liked it, because I was the only one of my friends not stuck with something like js345 or tc172, and I started to use it for screennames for convenience's sake.
Arethusa
QUOTE (mmu1 @ Feb 20 2005, 10:17 AM)
It's my old college e-mail ID - my inititals, followed by a number denoting how many other people before me had the same ones - I kind of liked it, because I was the only one of my friends not stuck with something like js345 or tc172, and I started to use it for screennames for convenience's sake.

Huh. I'd always figured it had something to do with an MM-1.
kerensky
From Alexander Kerensky, one of the most important non-bolshevik figure of the Russian revolution of 1917. Head of the Provisionnal Government before the Bolsheviks took power, he called on them to protect him from the threat of a general (Brusilov) wanting to reinstate the Tsar. However, once called in, the troops controlled by Lenin did not plan on going away. Dramatic figure, young and charismatic, as well as an ambitious but failed man.

I have no Russian background, but for a while, his story fascinated me, and it became a name I use and reuse in almost all forums.

I only learned after having somewhat "fell in love" with the character that one of the main characters in the BattleTech storyline was named Kerensky. I stopped using it for a while, feeling cheated out of my own originality (I was young, ok?!? But I know... ohplease.gif ), but then decided I didn't care.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (kerensky)
I only learned after having somewhat "fell in love" with the character that one of the main characters in the BattleTech storyline was named Kerensky. I stopped using it for a while, feeling cheated out of my own originality (I was young, ok?!? But I know... ohplease.gif ), but then decided I didn't care.

Heh, not just one... Kerensky is practically a household word among Battletech gamers, being an important historical figure as well as a Bloodname for many famous clanners.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012