Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Advice
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Weredigo
Late one night I got tired of Players rolling up Characters that were extremely low powered, unimaginative, and restricted on thier abilities. So I decided to Give them some really High Power Characters. So I created the Djinn, each has at least 20 in different Physical, Mental, and Special attributes. The can cast Alter Self, RiftWalk, and Lesser Mindprob, except for the Mage, She can cast Major Mindprobe. FYI Riftwalk allows those who can cast it travel through Rifts without getting lost, I didn't give them the ability to just step through astral planes. And no they can't cast wishes but if anyone speaks thier true name the one named is stunned for one round and must fullfill any request the speaker desires, such a request as "obey me" would really be bad for said character. There is one Mage, one Thief, and One Fighter, plus an NPC Dwarven Decker. They have other certain flaws and are all good and balanced.

I just picked up "Harlequinn's Back" and "Grimtooths Dungeon of Doom" and planning on running them through the two soon.

I'm wondering, Which one should be first, and any advice from those who have run either of the adventures???
DocMortand
Well, I don't know Harlequin's Back other than the fact that I would never come within a mile of his pointy-eared machinations.

I *do* know the Dungeon tho - it might be interesting to run them through it IF you can figure out how to transfer it into SR parlance. That might be tricky and would require several different modes of thinking as well as several suspensions of disbelief...altho now that I think about it I might see it as a Dragon's cavern lair. But still, it's a bit much unless it is a one shot campaign.

From other threads, Harley's Back gives MASSIVE amounts of Karma so the runners may be a one shot there as well.

[aside]
Altho Djinns stretch my imagination...I'd never allow it myself, but I tend to root myself in the timeline so I don't need to create things even further out of fantasy.
[/aside]
Weredigo
Well typically on my board just about everything from myth and fantasy has a base of reality to it. Djinn were a race that were lightyears ahead of the technology we have today and resided in many different astral planes. Unfortunately that was around the "Earthdawn" timeline. When Magic left the earth, the Djinn went more or less Extinct, except for those few trapped in bottles. And thier home Planes became Shattered and scattered to the four corners of existence.
Although I do allow Anything from Fantasy or SciFi fiction on the board, I'll Allways give it Very Real Qualities, Flaws, and Edges.
Sandoval Smith
Run them through Grimtooth, because PCs like that will eat "Harlequin's Back" for breakfast.
DrJest
Harlequin's Back is basically a series of short adventures that together comprise an astral quest. Because it throws the runners out of their normal experiences, it requires a fairly flexible mindset (and plenty of good roleplaying) to get through it.

Incidentally, whilst you will earn a respectable amount of karma from it if you follow the award guidlines in the book - in theory up to 61 karma for the complete campaign - the key word there is earn. You will. Every fraggin' point of it sarcastic.gif And it's quite easy to blow some of the rewards if you take a typically "shoot first and ask questions later" attitude. If that still seems like a lot of karma, well, don't forget it's really a mini-campaign rather than a single adventure; five distinct adventures plus short linking scenes (a couple of which are pretty combat heavy). Of course, you could always reduce the award if you think it's too high. The Roleplaying Police won't come to your house and nick you for not slavishly following the printed word biggrin.gif
Weredigo
nah, I think it's fair. Usually I hand out Karma rewards for all the different reason's found in the Core Rule Book, Paralyzing everyone with laughter, right place right time, stupid ideas that work, and at end of session (not necessarily end of run) I roll percentiles and give them whatever comes up.
Fortune
... and at end of session (not necessarily end of run) I roll percentiles and give them whatever comes up.

Uh huh!
Brazila
I like big karma but damn man. It sounds more like a SR similar custom game that you play. Nothing wrong with that but can't really recomend adventures when we don't know the real game your playing.
Sandoval Smith
Wait a second, they all have at least 20, in _each_ attribute? Just forget about Harlequinn's back, except in a couple spots, PCs of that level will just tear through the module, and I'm not even sure how much challenge most of Grimtooth will offer.
Weredigo
no, not in EACH attribute, one has 20 in Strength, Willpower, and Reaction, Another has it in Body Intellegence and Magic, the third has Quickness Willpower and Essence. Harl's got prolly 20 in all Atts and the average adult dragon has Att's between 20 and 99
I like big karma but damn man.
It's all good, everything's balanced by what you can purchase with Karma,

Att point, 100
Skill point, 10
Spell, 20
1xtra Success on a Test, 10
Lower TN by 1, 10
Ressurection, 100, or 1 point of Willpower lost permanently and inability to puchase more willpower points.
Narmio
QUOTE (Weredigo)
So I created the Djinn... <snip some crazy talk>

Tell me, Weredigo, have you also replaced the dice in your games with d20s and written up a list of "Feats" your player's characters can get?

Or perhaps you're using d47-and-a-thirds, GM while tapdancing, and give an additional percentile dice karma for the winner of the Most Interesting Pants At Session award?

You ask us to suggest what you do in some published adventures, but you don't appear to be sticking to any of the other rules. How are we supposed to predict anything at all? [1]

[1] Nevertheless, my money's on the tapdancing.
Weredigo
You ask us to suggest what you do in some published adventures, but you don't appear to be sticking to any of the other rules. How are we supposed to predict anything at all?

ic.gif
If you have run either of these adventures any advice is welcome.
If you have not, still any suggestions are welcomes.
I don't recall asking for predictions, I can do my own thank you.

ooc.gif
if you would prefer not to criticize my gaming in a constructive manner, feel free to take a jump off the highest closest skyscraper, the worlds smallest fiddle will be playing a sonnet just for you.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Weredigo)
ooc.gif
if you would prefer not to criticize my gaming in a constructive manner, feel free to take a jump off the highest closest skyscraper, the worlds smallest fiddle will be playing a sonnet just for you.

Here's some constructive criticism: I think the descriptions of your games seem not to be congruent with the general style and substance of the game of Shadowrun. It seems to be more of an overpowered amalgamation of different games. While not inherently wrong, it sounds more like Rifts than the Sixth World that most of us are familiar with. I went through a phase in middle school where me and my friends played DnD in a similar fashion (had a character that owned the Duchy of Karameikos and the Wizard was as powerful as the Elminster), and it can be fun for a while, so I'm not going to knock it (any more than necessary). But you can't expect to talk about the same game as the rest of us when you are playing something completely different.
Cynic project
Were, you do not seem to be playing with the same rules as we do. I have had high end character who got attributes in the mid teens when they were using magic and spirits. But I have never felt the need to have 20's as base numbers.

So, if you are playing "shadowrun" then are not play on the same scale as most if not all the other players here.
Sandoval Smith
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
it sounds more like Rifts than the Sixth World that most of us are familiar with.

Woo-hoo! Break out the Glitterboys!

Okay, Weredigo, telling us about the Djinns was a good thing. It gave us something of a baseline to start with. However, since it seems that your board is some sort of amalgamated homebrew, that still isn't enough. 'Harlequin's Back' is not some uber-munch monte haul. The Djinn's will pretty much walk over every combat and physical threat in the book, and a good deal of everything else as well. You're going to have to retool pretty much everything, and since we don't know what you're playing, there's really very little help we can offer on it.
Weredigo
Well keeping a very important thing in mind. My Board is Shadowrun Based, everything else is just extra flavor and coloring, but I use Shadowrun Numbers. Granted my Board is a bit more Flexible then other Games but I still follow the same rules. Or I at least try to.

So to prevent my PC's from walking all over HB I should toughen up the opposition, and maybe start pestering them with other Shadowrun teams, for instance a Revenge Squad, or two, or three, or four etceteray ad nauseum sent by Aztechnology for thier part in DNA/DOA.

Another bit of Good News, it's gonna be a few weeks or so befor I hafta run HB. I've got the something real simple planned for them, just to get the attentions of some NPC's, Harl included, and then it's the Dungeon of Doom to see if I can get them to just the right stage of paranoia.
Fortune
What's the rationale behind handing out butt-loads of Karma, and then having to totally retool the entire pricing system to accomodate and balance it? Why not just use the normal Karma rules in the first place?
Endgame50
I think were is trying to say he likes the basic d6 engine SR uses. And perhaps the assortment of powers / gear available. In all other respects, I'm unsure which game is being played. smile.gif
Weredigo
I think were is trying to say he likes the basic d6 engine SR uses. And perhaps the assortment of powers / gear available.

Exactly, and to clarify what other "Flavor Information" I've added so that the maximum ammount of fun for both players, GM, and Peanut Gallery can be had.
And reason's Why.

RiFtS: Ah, so yer telling me (from SR1's timeline description) that 5/7ths of the worlds population is GONE) Okay, lots of elbowroom, so I guess nobody minds if I draw about half a dozen lines on the earth and reccomend players not get too close to them, unless I want to take them to a Dungeon Delving adventure, or maybe something from DnD

World of Darkness: Okay so they're saying Vampirism and the Undead are an infection, and that Were critters have no sentience, that's a bit boring, that also means that if my Players want to play Were Critters or Vampires I have to say no, well that's gonna spoil a lot of fun for everybody. So I guess nobody will mind if I rule that the Masquerade has fallen. Hey cool, I even have a fictional reference for it, Movie Queen of the Damned.

Murphy's World: Well shoot, my players are Stuck, they can't figure a way out of this situation, they've had 3 hours on it, so to get the game moving the opposition needs to make a mistake.

DnD: Dammit, not enough wierd critters, and the dragon's just don't look as kick ass as the fiction aludes them to be.
Fortune
Ah, so yer telling me (from SR1's timeline description) that 5/7ths of the worlds population is GONE)

I don't know where you get this. Sure VITAS killed a lot of people, but 60 years of breeding has replaced any such losses. If anything, canon states that there are more people than today, even with VITAS, not less, and definitely not decreased by the figure you claim.

Maybe it's like this in your game, but claiming that this is Shadowrun canon is just wrong.
Weredigo
yup, goof on my part, was probably overestimating the numbers. But (houserule) I dissagree with the world repopulating itself so fast, and prefer to have a Fifty/Fifty balance between Technologically Civilized World and Revert Back to Wilderness.
Jrayjoker
Out of curiosity, what skill levels are your characters allowed? Do they roll a number of dice similar to their attributes? Are they still limited to starting skills of 6 and availability of 8?
TheBovrilMonkey

So, your players are currently playing characters that are a brand new, extremely powerful race of your creation, you've reworked the karma system (including resurrections - wow) and have thrown out a fair chunk of shadowrun background while also adding in elements from rifts, d&d and world of darkness?

Aside from the dice mechanics and the names of the corporations, how much have you kept from Shadowrun?
Sounds to me like there's very little left.

Out of interest, were your players also tired of 'rolling up Characters that were extremely low powered, unimaginative, and restricted on their abilities', or were they quite happy to keep going at a power level more in tune with what most of us here seem to be used to?
Garland
QUOTE (Fortune)
Ah, so yer telling me (from SR1's timeline description) that 5/7ths of the worlds population is GONE)

I don't know where you get this. Sure VITAS killed a lot of people, but 60 years of breeding has replaced any such losses. If anything, canon states that there are more people than today, even with VITAS, not less, and definitely not decreased by the figure you claim.

Maybe it's like this in your game, but claiming that this is Shadowrun canon is just wrong.

My group and I were just talking about this at the SR session last night. I think the statistic is something like 1 in 4 die from the various waves of VITAS.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Garland)
My group and I were just talking about this at the SR session last night. I think the statistic is something like 1 in 4 die from the various waves of VITAS.

According to the BBB, 1 in 4 die in the first wave throughout the world in the first wave in 2010, and 1 in 10 die in another wave in 2022. No mention if there are any other outbreaks (I'm pretty sure there were).
Garland
I think we're up to VITAS 3. But given my track record already, I'm probably only half right.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Garland)
I think we're up to VITAS 3. But given my track record already, I'm probably only half right.

Well, the numbers only vaguely correspond to outbreaks. There was that incident in... Shadows of Europe? (maybe?) where a bunch of folks were doused with VITAS-1 strain. There was mention of a viral outbreak that was incorrectly diagnosed as VITAS-4, so I think SR is only up to 3 so far.
Pthgar
Check out SR Wiki. Thanks to Wordman.

Populations
Weredigo
Out of curiosity, what skill levels are your characters allowed? Do they roll a number of dice similar to their attributes?

kind fuzzy on what you mean by Skill Levels. As far as points in Skills, upon creating the character no more then 6. (houserule) I don't use the "point" system. Players are given the "necessary skills" posted somewhere else previously, and whatever other skills they want. They count up the number of Attributes, and Skills they have to roll for. 3 D6 are rolled, highest number get's recorded, and repeat, until they have as many numbers for each skill and attribute. Essence and Reaction are not rolled for, as Reaction is calculated from Intellegence and Quickness, and Essence starts as a 6.
Aside from the dice mechanics and the names of the corporations, how much have you kept from Shadowrun?

also covered somewhere in a previous post
Out of interest, were your players also tired of 'rolling up Characters that were extremely low powered, unimaginative, and restricted on their abilities', or were they quite happy to keep going at a power level more in tune with what most of us here seem to be used to?

you'd have to ask them that. They were asked if they would like to try an Experiment.

...and now a word from our sponsors.

Tanka
QUOTE (Weredigo)
kind fuzzy on what you mean by Skill Levels. As far as points in Skills, upon creating the character no more then 6. (houserule) I don't use the "point" system. Players are given the "necessary skills" posted somewhere else previously, and whatever other skills they want. They count up the number of Attributes, and Skills they have to roll for. 3 D6 are rolled, highest number get's recorded, and repeat, until they have as many numbers for each skill and attribute. Essence and Reaction are not rolled for, as Reaction is calculated from Intellegence and Quickness, and Essence starts as a 6.

So you're playing a modified version of d20. You going to tell me you derive Active Skills from their linked attributes or something now? ohplease.gif
Pthgar
Weredigo, you can do what you want in your game and all, but you should really check out D20 Modern. It could save you a lot of brain sweat for creating the kind of game you seem to want to play.
Sandoval Smith
QUOTE (tanka)
So you're playing a modified version of d20. You going to tell me you derive Active Skills from their linked attributes or something now? ohplease.gif

Actually, what I got from that was that 3d6 were rolled, and the highest single number was kept.
Weredigo
Sandoval's right. sorry, should have been more specific. Wasn't at 100% capacity when I posted that this morning. my apologies.
Weredigo, you can do what you want in your game and all, but you should really check out D20 Modern. It could save you a lot of brain sweat for creating the kind of game you seem to want to play.

The Brainsweat is half the fun for me. If it's too simple I'd get bored real quick.
nezumi
I would be kind of curious on seeing a single, definitive 'Weredigo Shadowrun/Whatever' game rules. We seem to be learning these kinda backwards, hearing the karma per run, THEN hearing the karma costs of boosts.

And I actually don't think randomly assigned skill levels are too bad of an idea, if you're in a rush to make characters/want a touch more realism (since not everyone is 'best in the city' at assault rifles).
Tanka
QUOTE (Sandoval Smith)
QUOTE (tanka @ Feb 24 2005, 03:05 PM)
So you're playing a modified version of d20.  You going to tell me you derive Active Skills from their linked attributes or something now?  ohplease.gif

Actually, what I got from that was that 3d6 were rolled, and the highest single number was kept.

That's my point. The suggested generation for characters is to roll 4d6 and toss out the lowest number, then sum the dice (for d20).

That's basically what his system is, except SR is based on d6 and starting attributes (before racial mods) are between 1 and 6, so one die is kept out of the three rolled.
James McMurray
If he were to roll percentile dice and divide by 16.6 would you call the system Rolemaster because it uses percentile dice with compensation for Shadowrun's d6 based system?
cheeze monger
I think that house rules should be used in small amounts because then you end up with house rules for house rules and a completely different system.

If you want to make a new setting/game then start with a generic system--there are plenty of free ones out on the net.

Plus I think it's sick and perverted to change SR so much because it's sweet as it is.
Modesitt
I've never heard of someone playing SR because of the underlying d6 system. The system is an ugly, unwieldly monstrosity. No system should ever have both shifting numbers of dice and differing targets. Just pick one and stick with it. d20 has just one die for conflict resolution but the target is always changing. White Wolf finally saw the light and switch to a system where the target is always 8 but the number of dice change.

No, we play SR in spite of its sucky system. It's a testament to the skill of its flavor writers that they managed to add enough goodness to SR to balance the system.
Capt. Dave
I've never minded the D6 system. This may stem from the fact that the only other games I've played were White Wolf, and I've never played...that other game.

As to house rules, I think our group used one, once, till eratta fixed it. I prefer to use canon, and nothing but canon.
John Campbell
QUOTE (Modesitt)
I've never heard of someone playing SR because of the underlying d6 system. The system is an ugly, unwieldly monstrosity. No system should ever have both shifting numbers of dice and differing targets. Just pick one and stick with it. d20 has just one die for conflict resolution but the target is always changing. White Wolf finally saw the light and switch to a system where the target is always 8 but the number of dice change.

You have now.

The Shadowrun system causes improving skills to make easy tasks achievable more quickly or with better results, to make moderately difficult tasks achievable more easily, and to make almost impossible tasks more possible, but never easy. This helps keep the excesses that other systems are prone to at the high end in check without crippling the low end, imposing arbitrary limits on advancement, or removing the advantage of better skills at the low end. All these behaviours are direct results of varying the number of dice and the TN independently and allowing multiple successes to improve degree of success.

It's got its flaws - the discontinuities on the probability curve at TN 6/7, 12/13, and so on - but, despite that, it's an elegant mechanic that works beautifully. I'd even call its relative opacity to easy probability analysis a feature... it discourages metagaming. It certainly beats d20's simplistic linear system all hollow.
DrJest
Am I alone in actually quite liking Shadowrun's core mechanics? I don't mean the arcane complexities of the extended bolt-ons - magic, matrix, etc - but the basic, core concepts? I've adapted it to other genres before now (mostly modern espionage, although we played a killer game of contemporary fantasy) painlessly and with quite decent results. I mean, yeah, it's got its flaws, but it's fairly simple to get your head round the basic rules, they flow nicely, and they can fit the "movie" style of play favoured by my previous group nicely without stretching very far.
Weredigo
Hoo Fraggin Rah John, That was Beutifully Put. Sometimes I wish I were that fluent with Math Talk.

Yeah, in examble of John's point. I'll never forget the time I was playin in a DnD game and the DM made me roll "sailing" to tie a simple knot. Didn't have it so he made me default to Dex at a neg6, botched it.
Pthgar
I like the basic SR d6 system. It makes sense to me that as you improve your skills go up, not difficulty going down. It's the conditions you're in that affect the difficulty.
All that being said, I think that it can be a lot for someone totally new to RPGs to keep track of all those dice and when they can use them. In my experience, people who've played a limited dice system like Classic Traveller (2d6) have an easier time adapting than you average d20-trained role-player.
Cynic project
And easy ,means good?
Modesitt
I'd even call its relative opacity to easy probability analysis a feature... it discourages metagaming. It certainly beats d20's simplistic linear system all hollow.

This is my major bone of contention with the SR system: No. Being difficult to calculate statistics is not an advantage.

Yes, it discourages metagaming - But it also makes it simply impossible for a GM to reasonably predict what will happen or intelligently adjust the probabilities without inputting far more thought than he should need to. The joy of d20 is that it's very easy to figure out what the odds of the PCs succeeding or failing is.

"Hmm, my player has a total skill bonus of +15. I want him to have about a 75% chance of success. DC 20 sounds good."

vs

"I want this to be pretty easy, so I guess a TN of 5 will work."

If someone was intent on using d6's for a system, just make the TN of every single task 4 All TN modifiers would simply add or subtract from the number of dice you already have with some sort of minimum, maybe you always have at least one die or have that be a function of your karma pool. Or TN modifiers could create thresholds.
Cynic project
QUOTE (Modesitt)
I'd even call its relative opacity to easy probability analysis a feature... it discourages metagaming. It certainly beats d20's simplistic linear system all hollow.

This is my major bone of contention with the SR system: No. Being difficult to calculate statistics is not an advantage.

Yes, it discourages metagaming - But it also makes it simply impossible for a GM to reasonably predict what will happen or intelligently adjust the probabilities without inputting far more thought than he should need to. The joy of d20 is that it's very easy to figure out what the odds of the PCs succeeding or failing is.

"Hmm, my player has a total skill bonus of +15. I want him to have about a 75% chance of success. DC 20 sounds good."

vs

If someone was intent on using d6's for a system, just make the TN of every single task 4 All TN modifiers would simply add or subtract from the number of dice you already have with some sort of minimum, maybe you always have at least one die or have that be a function of your karma pool. Or TN modifiers could create thresholds.

And in D20,where rolling a D20 you have tasks that were once impossable is now not only possabille but is shit simple. Take TN 30. How hard is that at, level 1,5,10,15?
Dog
umm... Weredigo, how old are you? Just askin'.
Modesitt
And in D20,where rolling a D20 you have tasks that were once impossable is now not only possabille but is shit simple. Take TN 30. How hard is that at, level 1,5,10,15?

For one, I should state up front that I DO think there are some things you simply should not be capable of until you are of a certain skill. The difficulty of tasks needs to be taken down a notch pretty much across the board. It's WAY too easy for people to fail at utterly mundane tasks, like driving a car.

But for your specific example - That's impossible to say. I've built diplomacy monkeys that could consistently hit a DC of 30 at level 3 IIRC(I'd have to do the math again to be sure). A 3rd level char I have right now has two skills that he has a +10 modifier to at level 3, so he COULD hit a TN/DC of 30, albeit with only a 5% chance of success.

Outside of some fringe cases - At level 1, impossible. Level 5, impossible. Level 10, maybe 50/50. Level 15, at least 75% and maybe 100% depending on the exact skill and whether or not the GM allows custom magic items.
tisoz
There is a table on SR3.92 that has the difficulty of TNs. It only gets hard if the GM decides he wants to determine the rate of success, not the actual difficulty the task should provide.
John Campbell
QUOTE (Modesitt)

vs

The latter is, IMAO, how assigning TNs should work, anyway. You estimate how difficult the action should be, and assign a TN based on that. As tisoz says, there's even a table to guide the GM in that. That TN should be consistent with similar TNs thoughout the game, and shouldn't change just because the PCs' abilities do.

Metagaming on the GM's part to the extent that they're assigning TNs based not on the difficulty of the action, but on the probability of success that they want a specific character to have at it is bad for consistency and suspension of disbelief, and, when taken to the extreme, makes it pointless for the character to even have stats.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012