Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cybermancy
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
torzzzzz
smile.gif

I ran a game at the weekend that was alot to do with cybermancy. the development of artificial cybernetic intelligence but they were also jule natured.

the ideas were great and the players loved it but i dont have much in the way of material to work with.
I think this will become a campain as they have got them selves mixed up with a corperation.

do any of you out there have any ideas about the subject or where i can get information from?

any surgestions would be great!

i mean the game was accepted by the players but i dont know how far i can go with this and still be within the rules?

torz x
Weredigo
Fiction Novels, by Daniel Simmons. Hyperion, Fall of Hyperion, Endymion, Rise of Endymion.

Video Series, Bubblegum Crisis, Bubblegum Crash, Ghost in the Shell, and Ghost in the Shell T.V. series
Weredigo
i mean the game was accepted by the players but i dont know how far i can go with this and still be within the rules?

of course you already know my answer to that one. It all depends on your own creativity.
DocMortand
The "rules" for Cybermancy are in Man and Machine. They tell how it's done, what's necessary to keep 'em alive and functional, etc.

Other than that...there aren't really too many concrete rules of how depraved you can get - remember that the magic around cyberzombies leave blackened spots in the astral - magic background count would be high (3-4).

I got to face one when I was a player...resulted in a total group frag (we all got captured and had cranial bombs installed). Also remember that cyberzombies are expensive as all get out, and they generally won't be the ONLY asset you face.
DrJest
I can't recommend enough that you pick up a copy of the SR2 sourcebook Cybertechnology. The rules are out of date, but the fiction is excellent. Hatchetman's disconnected ramblings as he becomes a cyberzombie are fantastic.
torzzzzz

Just looked on the book shelf and seen a copy so i will have a look, i want this to go into a campaign so im looking for some serious background.

torz x
Dizzo Dizzman
The Cybertechnology was one of the better sourcebooks for SRII, precisely for that Hachetman section. Great fiction.
Endgame50
The SR2 books in general seemed to have a lot more flavor than SR3. I really miss that, it gave newer players more of a feel for the game world, and just provided a more fun immersive experience.

One of my favorite quirky bits of flavor text was the Savalette Guardian's Smartlink being finicky and occasionally failing in the middle of a fight. I forget how it went exactly.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Endgame50)
One of my favorite quirky bits of flavor text was the Savalette Guardian's Smartlink being finicky and occasionally failing in the middle of a fight. I forget how it went exactly.

Followed by shadowtalk that says "Are you sure it wasn't just that particular gun?"
Then the original poster saying he replaced his weapon and had the same problem, and that a friend had the same problem.
DrJest
I love the shadowtalk. It was always full of little gems, like the guy who got magical healing for his hand and couldn't use his gun's biometric safety for a while afterwards (corporate security handbook I think).
Johnson
That could suck, loose the use of your Biometric safety.. Ouch.
tisoz
Lack of shadowtalk in the core rulebooks makes them as hard and unappealing to read as a textbook.
Crimson Jack
The first Robocop film gets the idea of cybermancy across vaguely.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Crimson Jack)

I love the sequences from Robocop's perspective while he's sitting in the computer/maintenance chair, and he's passively viewing all the stuff going around him.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Crimson Jack)

Vaguely? I'd say it's rather spot on, except for the fact that magic isn't part of the Robocop setting.
  • Enough Chrome to drop someone into sub-zero essence.
  • Murphy's clear sense of detachment after the procedure.
  • Memories from his past reminding him what it means to be alive.

In short, I'd buy that for a dollar.
DrJest
Yep, the original Robocop rocked on many levels.

Shame about the next two...
hermit
Two was just acceptable, the rest was ... well, let's just talk about something else.

Another good source for ideas about extreme cyberware use is the manga series Battle Angel Alita. Not so much for the main character but for some of the supporting characters.

And Cybertechnology rocked. Propably the best equipment SB ever written.
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
QUOTE (Crimson Jack @ Mar 4 2005, 03:02 AM)

Vaguely? I'd say it's rather spot on, except for the fact that magic isn't part of the Robocop setting.
  • Enough Chrome to drop someone into sub-zero essence.
  • Murphy's clear sense of detachment after the procedure.
  • Memories from his past reminding him what it means to be alive.
In short, I'd buy that for a dollar.

Oops, forgot the /sarcasm tags. Thought it didn't need it. smile.gif
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (hermit)
Another good source for ideas about extreme cyberware use is the manga series Battle Angel Alita.

Oh HELL yes. Yukito Kishiro's limb designs set the standard for what obvious cyberware should look like in my opinion. (Of course, this may be something of a self-fulfilling prophecy, as a lot of the early SR artwork of obvious cyberware seemed to borrow heavily from Kishiro's style)
DrJest
If you're talking manga, the Shirow classic Ghost in the Shell has a lot to say about the dividing line between human and machine. The anime film is okay too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012