Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Immortal Elves and Lung cancer
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
lodestar
Here's another pointless boredom topic from your friendly neighborhood Lodestar...

Is it just me or do all the things you read about when one of our good immortal elves appear it seems that they are smoking - Harlequin smokes like a chimney apparently, Jane Foster is always depicted smoking, I think the scribe does as well. What happens if you smoke and you're immortal? does all that tar just keep building up in your lungs? Of course you can't get lung cancer. I wonder how many elves in SR smoke - you never know, you might be an immortal one.

I'm sure Ancient can dig us up some info on the subject. wink.gif
Fortune
Personally, I think the Detox spell would help get rid of that unwanted tar build-up. I wish I had access to that spell (among others)!
BitBasher
Healthy Glow applied regularly.
akarenti
Yea, I'd guess if you can live for millinea and kick dragon's asses, you can probably use magic to survive smoking.

If not, Frosty can always get a fresh, new set of lungs cloned for her.
Charon
Lung has cancer?

Too bad for him. It wouldn't happen to immortal elves, though. They have immunity to disease and pretty much anything other than GM or author's fancy.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Charon)
Lung has cancer?

Too bad for him. It wouldn't happen to immortal elves, though. They have immunity to disease and pretty much anything other than GM or author's fancy.

No, Lung CAUSES cancer.

Oh, and Joe Camel is an immortal elf.
Fortune
QUOTE (Charon)
It wouldn't happen to immortal elves, though. They have immunity to disease ...

We ... I mean they do?
FlakJacket
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
Oh, and Joe Camel is an immortal elf.

Really? I thought he was a critter with high intelligence like merrow.
Ancient History
Yeah. IE's are immune to aging, disease, and pathogens. They could conceivably drink themselves to death, but most of them know enough detox spells that even that isn't much of a problem.
Dissonance
Didn't they cure cancer by then?
Kanada Ten
Genetech can reverse the effects, but they don't cure anything in the future. Doesn't anybody listen to Chris Rock? "They ain't never gonna cure AIDS! Hell, they still pissed over all the money they lost on Polio! There's no money in the cure. The money's in the medicine."
Ancient History
Yeah, Dunkie's Ghost is kicking himself about that vaccine.
Dissonance
Don't worry, AH. I'm pretty sure Louis Pasteur is helping kick him, too.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Kanada Ten @ Feb 21 2005, 07:57 PM)
There's no money in the cureThe money's in the medicine."

That is, until a bunch of Lo-Teks use a mil-spec dolphin to hack the cure out of the courier's brain and then wideband it over all the broadcast satellites.

After that, any two bit street doc can undercut you.
toturi
Ahhh, it soothes the savage storm dolphin to live in a high tech world...
Ancient History
...especially when he's just snorted a big bag of crack through his blow-hole.
Dissonance
Great, now we need an underseas public announcement decrying the blowhole-snorting of coke.

In the form of a campy 80's TV special.

Do you think we could get some dolphin mullet wigs?

... Woo! I'm no longer a target. *happydance*
akarenti
QUOTE (Dissonance)
... Woo! I'm no longer a target. *happydance*

I'm jealous. How many pointless posts do I have to make to get Moving!
Dissonance
A whole buttload?
Kanada Ten
You're pretty close.

Dissonance
zephir
Utahraptor
Clyde
Seidaku
Bölverk
Innocent
Phantom Runner
Nightmare
Penta
MooCow
Cheesy Answer
Lich
Stormdrake
KeyMasterOfGozer
akarenti
akarenti
Yea! biggrin.gif
Kanada Ten
That could still amount to hundreds of posts, you need to have Dissonance PM you and it will show his number of posts in the side stats.
paul_HArkonen
um, just curious, but where did that list come from?

oh and to stay more on topic, how big of an effect do people think magic and surge had on cancer rates? I mean if it's enough to mutate cells green I would think it would be more than enough to cause cells to grow faster.
Kanada Ten
The "Members" link at the forum's top and page 13 of the listing using "Number of Posts" and "Decending Order" filters.
Dissonance
At any rate, it was likely 100 posts.
Dissonance
At any rate, it was likely 100 posts.
Grinder
But posting twice the same is a bad way to increase your overall number of posts. wink.gif

Back to topic: Immortal Nazi Elves are immune to everything, plain and simple. They're half-gods, so i personally can't imagine Harlekin dying because of lung cancer. I don't like the overall idea of the Immortal Nazi Elves and don't use them much in my games. But hey, they're part of the mighty canon so we have to live with 'em. Sadly none of them appears to be an easy-going person.

And elves wonder that they are hated.
Aes
Which of course leads to the interesting question: When will a megacorp try to capture an IE and have their immortality extracted, bottled and sent to the supermarket shelves? nyahnyah.gif Gods know, some of those suits are dense enough to try and pull somehting like it off.

[Edit]

And incidentially, this was my 100th post, and this target just started moving. Guess that's proved then.
DrJest
Not wanting to sidetrack the discussion, but - are any modern elves being born with an immortality "gene" or is it solely the province of ancient magic? Some Flower or something, I think?

I only ask because a modern "Immortal" would be a more likely target for corp acquisition, and the whole thing would make for an interesting adventure. Realistically, I can't see one of the Old Immortals getting captured by a corp.
Garland
I'm pretty sure there's a lineage of them.
Herald of Verjigorm
Frosty, Ehran's recent daughter, is immortal and young.
DrJest
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
Frosty, Ehran's recent daughter, is immortal and young.

Is that confirmed then? I wasn't sure if she carried the immortality "gene".
mfb
it was stated in Harlequin, as i recall.
Jrayjoker
Tom Dowd wrote some short stories that implied it as well.
Charon
It is also stated (In the Aztlan file shadowtalk by Ehran, I think) that a test has been developped by Tir Tainrgire to identify the Immortal elf gene.

Jenna Ni'Fairra might also be a young immortal. If she's been around for more than just the current era, it's not been made clear.
Fortune
I believe that Lady Brane Deigh and the late, unlamented Glasgian Oakforest fall into this category as well. I'm not as sure about Lugh Surehand.
BitBasher
Oakforest proves that immortal is a relative term. He didn't even survive lunch! wink.gif
Charon
Speaking of Glasgian, Can anyone tell me how did he die and what it has to do with Lofwyr resigning from the council of princes? Or at least, where is this info to be found? It's been driving me mad since I've gotten back into SR recently.
Ancient History
Jenna is only young compared to Alachia, her mother. There is evidence that she was born during the 4th world, at least.

There was no definative proof Glasgian was an IE; Brane Deigh is young for an IE but may have been born during the downcycle as a Spike Baby.
lodestar
I guess the post has brought forth a few interesting ideas. Which brings to mind some more - for example it seems the "magic gene" is being hotly pursued by several corps what about the immortality gene? Could immortality be attained by genetech? One would assume that if Frosty carries the immortality trait that possibly whomever is her mother has it too. Thisis one I could really see the corps blowing money on, after all, you could possibly make yourself CEO for life...
Sandoval Smith
Glasgian was eaten by Lofwyr, as common humor has it.

The immortal elves were created by dragon hijinks way back in the fourth age. I believe that the original Harlequin said that Frosty had a normal mother. Apprently the magical trait of immortality breeds true.

As for corporations trying to aqcuire it, one thing that seems to get frequently forgotten is that virtually no one except the top behind the scenes players in the world know they even exist.
Pthgar
QUOTE (Sandoval Smith @ Feb 22 2005, 10:01 PM)
The immortal elves were created by dragon hijinks way back in the fourth age. I believe that the original Harlequin said that Frosty had a normal mother.  Apprently the magical trait of immortality breeds true.

I thought IE's were created in the Age of Dragons and rebelled in the 3rd World down cycle. I could be wrong (I should check out AH's site before posting to this kind of stuff).

Don't forget about the Denairastas Clan of Iopos. They were dragonkin humans. I believe IE's got to be immortal due to some property of being dragonkin. The Dragons may have wiped them all out sometime in the 4th World after the ED timeframe.

[Edit] For correcting of info.
Fortune
QUOTE (Pthgar)
I thought IE's were created in the Age of Dragons and rebelled in the 3rd World down cycle.

Yep, the IEs were definitely 'created' before the Fourth World.
Ancient History
QUOTE (Pthgar)
I believe IE's got to be immortal due to some property of being dragonkin.

The Great Elves, like the Kings of Throal, are a special case. The Denairastas were longer-lived, but they didn't cut the same deal (or were subjected to the same Draconic Ritual Magic) as the original Great Elves. Presumably.

QUOTE (lodestar)
One would assume that if Frosty carries the immortality trait that possibly whomever is her mother has it too.

QUOTE (Sandoval Smith)
I believe that the original Harlequin said that Frosty had a normal mother. Apprently the magical trait of immortality breeds true.

*winces* Not quite. Nothing is known of Jane Foster's mother (or indeed, any of her family save Ehran the Scribe) except that she is apparently deceased. The original Harlequin text does imply that any progeny of an IE the expresses elven metatype (no matter what the magical capability or metatype of the mother) has a chance to inherit the "Immortality Factor."

This is a very rare event, and the relevant genes might require a particularly rich mana environment to develop. Maybe.
Sandoval Smith
My bad. It's been a while since I've read Harelquin, but the copy is floating around here somewhere. Should've tracked it down to confirm.
lodestar
Was just thinking that given the way genetics work pehaps Frosty's mother carried the "immortality trait" as a recessive trait. And why wouldn't the corps think that perhaps there's a gene out there for immortality - the great dragons carry it. One might suppose that others might as well. Especially since elves are so long lived and especially since elves apparently have a history which has carried through to the sixth world, one might suppose that some have survived since the last magic cycle - given the amount of corp research that goes into magic, you'd think they might have tripped across some evidence of the immortality conspiracy...
Herald of Verjigorm
The "Elven History" can easily be dismissed as a bunch of egotistical pointy-eared freaks twisting a dead culture and claiming it as thiers. There is a clean and perfect parallel to Aztechnology exploiting a dead culture to bring a sense of purpose and identity to the masses in their country.

Beyond that, genetech and bioware have yet to import awakened functionality, but it is a major area of study by all corps with the facilities. Although isolating and importing an immortality DNA code segment would be a grand and supreme accomplishment, there is no actual proof that any segment of dragon DNA would make humans immortal, there isn't even proof that dragons are immortal (but their lifespan is much beyond that of humans). The easier method (which also requires less kidnappings of creatures older than most dirt) is to isolate the human aging gene and experiment with numerous alterations until one works.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
The easier method (which also requires less kidnappings of creatures older than most dirt) is to isolate the human aging gene and experiment with numerous alterations until one works.

They already have with Leonization (of course, it's not just one gene, but I understand your point)... I think the corps are reaching the limits of that procedure, which is probably why there would be an interest in the Elven qualities of longevity (true immortality aside).
Herald of Verjigorm
Good point, regular elves (and the variance between them and basic humans) are known examples that can be studied for improvements on the current Leonization process. Dragons are too alien to provide a current source material, there hasn't even been a successful* integration of awakened animal organs into a metahuman host.

*where successful is defined as "we can use this to make a lot of money." I do not discount the possibility of there being a few extremely unstable metahumans in secure cages with a critter power or two but also enough reasons to not publicize the method.
Demonseed Elite
Which brings to mind some more - for example it seems the "magic gene" is being hotly pursued by several corps what about the immortality gene? Could immortality be attained by genetech?

Well, there is the rumored "Project Infinity" mentioned in Shadowtech and Portfolio of a Dragon.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012