Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Goblins!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Raife
I've looked everywhere, and I can't seem to find any goblin rules. I would love to make a Goblin Decker (cus I have a great voice all lined up for next years gen-con).

If their aren't any rules for gobllins lets write some!

Would they be small orcs or ugly dwarves? What stats would you give them? I don't see a reason to not put goblins into shadowrun, but if you do, why not?
Kagetenshi
Aren't they Dwarves with HMHVV?

Edit: yes, they are. Free Critters PDF, how I love thee.

~J
vapor
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Feb 22 2005, 02:56 AM)
Aren't they Dwarves with HMHVV?

Edit: yes, they are. Free Critters PDF, how I love thee.

~J

i'm pretty sure they are. and iirc, they're immune to fire.

edit: damn, beat me to it.
Charon
QUOTE (Raife)
I don't see a reason to not put goblins into shadowrun, but if you do, why not?

'cause I'm lazy.

Ancient History
Just as a reference, trolls and especially orks were referred to as Goblins in the first edition in some places. Thus, Mike Orkstaff, Goblin Decker.
Apathy
There's no rules for goblins, vampires, wendigo, dzoo-no-qua (sp?), or banshees - I think because they all tend to be uber-powerful and dangerous. Also, critters specifically states that goblins and dzoo-no-qua lose their sentience after infection. Several different people have posted home rules on playing vamps on this board though, and I would think they could be easily adapted for goblins.
Bigity
I think the whole "goblin" thing in reference to orks and trolls is more of a racial slur then some kind of relationship to the critter goblin.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Apathy)
Also, critters specifically states that goblins and dzoo-no-qua lose their sentience after infection. Several different people have posted home rules on playing vamps on this board though, and I would think they could be easily adapted for goblins.

You know, the Critters book does state this, but in practice and in references to those two HMHVV species (such as the Paranormal Animal books), it seems that they do retain their sentience. I think the "loss of sentience" thing was grandfathered in from the "Patterson's" reference texts in Paranormal Animals of NA/Europe, without taking into account the Shadowtalk. The Shadowtalk indicates that Goblins become stupid as rocks, however.

It probably is similar to what happens to PCs when they become Ghouls. Some retain all of their humanity, others become blubbering and dangerous monsters.
BitBasher
Actually IIRC Critters postdates All the PAO books, PAONA and PAOE so if critters says something contradictory it supercedes the other books.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (BitBasher @ Feb 22 2005, 12:11 PM)
Actually IIRC Critters postdates All the PAO books, PAONA and PAOE so if critters says something contradictory it supercedes the other books.

Right, I never implied that Critters was before PAoNA/E, but PAoNA/E provide a lot more information than the single paragraph/no picture/no Shadowtalk format of Critters. Based on PAoNA/E, it wouldn't be against the Sixth World background, in my mind, to have Goblins as massively stupid infected dwarves rather than non-sentient animals... there was a time when Ghouls were considered non-sentient as well, in past editions of Shadowrun.

There is an upcoming sourcebook that hopefully will improve and expand upon the terse barebones information in Critters. Looking forward to it...
U_Fester
CODE
Carrier
Banderstatch - HMHVV-2
Banshee - HMHVV
Dzoo-Noo-Qua - HMHVV
Fomorian - HMHVV-2
Ghoul - HMHVV
Goblin - HMHVV
Loup-Garou - HMHVV-2
Nosferatu - HMHVV, Bruckner-Langer strain
Vampire - HMHVV
Wendigo

Convert
All - Ghoul - HMHVV, Krieger Strain
All - Vampire - HMHVV
Dwarf - Goblin - HMHVV
Elf - Banshee - HMHVV
Human - Loup-Garou - HMHVV-2
Human - Nosferatu - HMHVV, Bruckner-Langer strain
Ork - Wendigo - HMHVV
Troll - Dzoo-Noo-Qua - HMHVV
Troll - Fomorian - HMHVV-2

Is this an accurate breakout or is there more?
hahnsoo
I was under the impression that only humans can be Vampires. Also, there was an Elf Nosferatu in one of the novels, but that was supposed to be a one-of-a-kind case.
BitBasher
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
I was under the impression that only humans can be Vampires. Also, there was an Elf Nosferatu in one of the novels, but that was supposed to be a one-of-a-kind case.

Yes, I was pretty sure only humans were vampires, but I was worng. In the critters book the first paragraph states that "Vampires are humans or metahumans infected with..."

Man, I love books on PDF.
Garland
Does that mean that everybody can become a vampire (specifically), or is that just using the term "Vampire" as a catch-all to describe the various types. I haven't read the book and don't know the context.
U_Fester
From they way it reads any type becomes a vampire. So it would be a Troll Vampire or a Human Vampire.
BitBasher
based on the stats given for a vampire, that may be an error. I dunno. It kind of contradicts that other metas specifically have different results from the same strain.
Ancient History
The Infected. Only humans become vampires. 'nuff said.
Charon
Always funny to see someone reference himself as an authority to end an argument.

Not that it isn't deserved, I love your files, AH. Hundred of hours of work, no doubt, and nice work. Just one grip : Your overuse of the line : ''Immortal number X is belived to be of at least average abilities amongst his kind''. You use it so often that it becomes a mathematical impossibility. By definition, half of these guys have to be of below average abilities for their kind. wink.gif
Ancient History
Picky, picky.
BitBasher
QUOTE (Ancient History)
The Infected. Only humans become vampires. 'nuff said.

How do you reconcile that with the direct contradiction that is says "and metahumans" in the critters book listing for Vampire? Just curious. smile.gif

In my game they're all humans regardless. smile.gif
Ancient History
Typo. E'en in 1st edition they differentiated the effects of HMHVV-1 on the various metahuman species. Hell, why else give you stats for the Banshee, Wendigo, et al?
BitBasher
I don't recall theree ever being an eratta to fix that, was there? I don't see it on the list...
Raife
Ok, so goblins are HMHVV infected dwarves... hmm that doesn't quite fit with my goal.

What would be another good name for basically a green bumpy gnome? Just call it a gnome with some comet baby effects? It would make him more one of a kind than I was hoping, but would still be fun.

I was aiming for the non-traditional intelligent... accidently blows things up kind of goblin.
BitBasher
Well if I remember correctly a gnome is a dwarf metavariant anyway... So I think the gnome=dwarf thing is pretty well set in stone. smile.gif
Raife
Right, but I could easily alter the Gnome meta-variant with a rare expression when the comet passed over couldnt I? Unless meta-varients never express Surge.
hobgoblin
another thing to consider is that wendigos, banshees and so on are given as ready stats. vampires on the other hands needs a base creature to calculate its stats. hmm, have anyone botherd to substract the number for a general orc or elf from those creatures and compared that to the changes listed under vampire?
U_Fester
Critters pg 46.  Vampires are humans and metahumans infected with HMHVV.

According to the manual vampires are both human and metahumans.
BitBasher
Um, Vampire in my copt of Critters has listed stats like all other creatures. Lots of threes. wink.gif
Halabis
Funny, my copy says to modify the base human.
BitBasher
I remember it saying that, but the one on the downloadable critters PDF apparently doesn't unless I got an odd copy...
Weredigo
They could be a sub type of Wode Wose.
Raife
Whats a Wode Wose?
Critias
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
Also, there was an Elf Nosferatu in one of the novels, but that was supposed to be a one-of-a-kind case.

What's that? A "one of a kind super special monster/bad guy/peice of cyberware/hero/gun" in one of the SR novels?!

Say it ain't so!
audun
QUOTE (Raife)
What would be another good name for basically a green bumpy gnome? Just call it a gnome with some comet baby effects? It would make him more one of a kind than I was hoping, but would still be fun.

I was aiming for the non-traditional intelligent... accidently blows things up kind of goblin.

Faerie...
not so good as a PC though:(
Fortune
QUOTE (Raife)
What would be another good name for basically a green bumpy gnome?

Kermit?!?
hahnsoo
What about using a Hobgoblin variant Ork type who was small for his race?
Aes
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Raife @ Feb 23 2005, 11:33 AM)
What would be another good name for basically a green bumpy gnome?

Kermit?!?

Yoda?
Weredigo
Whats a Wode Wose?

"Paranormal Animals of North America" Page: 172

A Really Mean Monkey
CircuitBoyBlue
QUOTE (Charon)
Just one grip : Your overuse of the line : ''Immortal number X is belived to be of at least average abilities amongst his kind''. You use it so often that it becomes a mathematical impossibility. By definition, half of these guys have to be of below average abilities for their kind. wink.gif

Not necessarily. I mean, I'm an idiot, and could therefore be wrong, but I was under the impression that nearly everyone could be above average, as long as there was one guy that was just REALLY crappy at being an immortal. I'm not going to point any fingers or anything, though...

Of course, it's also possible that these guys all grew up in the Earthdawn equivalent of Lake Wobegon.
Dawnshadow
Average is the summation divided by the number elements.. so yes.. you could have 99% of people above average.. but... that's rare

For instance, out of 100 people..

1 is a 1
the other 99 are 100.

Average is: 99.01..
so, 99% are above average.

If you've got ANY sort of distribution, the average tends towards the weighted average, and it gets very close to the actual median (middle) value.

Edit:

Reverse is also true.. 99@1, 1@100, gives average of 1.99... 99% below average
hahnsoo
QUOTE (CircuitBoyBlue)
Not necessarily. I mean, I'm an idiot, and could therefore be wrong, but I was under the impression that nearly everyone could be above average, as long as there was one guy that was just REALLY crappy at being an immortal. I'm not going to point any fingers or anything, though...

I nominate Glasgian Oakforest. biggrin.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (hahnsoo @ Feb 24 2005, 09:53 AM)
I nominate Glasgian Oakforest.

Yeah, but he's now Wyrm Chow™, which once again skews the statistics. wink.gif
U_Fester
QUOTE (Halabis)
Funny, my copy says to modify the base human.

I do not see where it states that you need to modify the base human.

Critters pg 46.  A character who becomes infected with HMHVV and turns into a vampire uses their normal Attributes.
Sandoval Smith
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (hahnsoo @ Feb 24 2005, 09:53 AM)
I nominate Glasgian Oakforest.

Yeah, but he's now Wyrm Chow™, which once again skews the statistics. wink.gif

Damn, beaten too the punch on two accounts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012