Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do you GM, Run, or Both
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pthgar
Probably has been asked before, but I couldn't find it.
Austere Emancipator
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=6959
Kagetenshi
Though this does have a finer scale.

~J
Austere Emancipator
Not that the finer scale seems to be needed... So far 3 x 100% GM, 1 x 80-90% GM.
Chibu
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
Not that the finer scale seems to be needed... So far 3 x 100% GM, 1 x 80-90% GM.

Ha! i only GM 10-20% of the time. well, sood it will be about 50% but, ya know...
Bossemanden
Up to a year ago it was never. The last year itīs been somewhat less than 50%. From now on (with us running 2 groups with 3 potential masters) its gonna be a bit more than that.
paul_HArkonen
I had been GMing about 20-30% of the time, but I've started a personal Campaign so I'll be the sole GM of my group for a while, so I put 30-40.
Pthgar
Thanks AE. I don't seem to be able to search with my laptop, although the feature works fine on my desktop.
Fortune
I can't Search either, although I used to be able to. It didn't occur to me that it would be because of my laptop, because I haven't always had the problem.
Westiex
In the current group, I GM approx 20% of the time (we take turns). Though the main GM has stated that if his current character dies (likely) he won't be making a new one since he'll be going to Japan shortly.
Pthgar
Well the thing is, I don't know why it's the laptop. They are both running Win2k and latest updates of IE (not Immortal Elves) and the settings are the same.
Ecclesiastes
I used to only play. Then I only GMed. Then I only played.
Lately, the only table top I've played has been when I GMed at GenCon, so I put 50%.
Kagetenshi
Up until very recently, I GMed about 98.8%. I had had one several-month run as a player, and a bunch of week-long or two-week-long games, but other than that stretching back for a decade I was a GM only.

Now I'm in three games, two of which I GM and one I play in. I chose 80%-90% because I'm still very disproportionately a GM.

~J
Pthgar
I should have put a time fram on the poll, like "Within the last year."

One of the new guys to the group told me he made a run one day while sitting in class. He'd only played on run! You just gotta love enthusiasm like that. After working with him a little bit it turned out to be a fun time.
tisoz
Hoody hoo! I picked the only percentile that had yet to be chosen.
Endgame50
I only run D&D, which has no place on these forums. Otherwise, I'm just a player who's mildly obsessed with rules balance. *grin*
Weredigo
(houserule)Every now and then I'll connive one of my players to GM me through a Solo. I'm looking around for a group to join, but at the moment there are few shadowrun games here, a buddy of mine is almost finished with a DnD Campaign so that'll be a nice change of pace.
Dark Scrier
I GM. I wish I didn't, but hey, I'm the lesser of several evils.
tisoz
QUOTE (Weredigo)
(houserule)Every now and then I'll connive one of my players to GM me through a Solo. I'm looking around for a group to join, but at the moment there are few shadowrun games here, a buddy of mine is almost finished with a DnD Campaign so that'll be a nice change of pace.

That is canon, but putting that disclaimer on your every post is probably a good idea. wink.gif
Rieal82
with my group every one has to GM once from time to time. it might be as much as 2 months before i run again but we all know that its coming. devil.gif
Pthgar
So far there is a much wider distrubution than I would have thought.
Another thought comes up. How do people feel about players GMing once in a while? I mean, I know it's a nice break for the regular GM, but I think there are other benefits. I feel that even if a player GMs once and hates it or it's the crappiest run in the world, the experiance and insight into the GM's roll is invaluable. But I can see how it might be frustrating to have another GM come in and do it the "wrong" way.

I don't know, how do you all feel?
Kagetenshi
Not that wide. About 50% of those polled GM 70% or more.

~J
Pthgar
Yeah, but I though it would be, like, 80% GM 90% of the time. I really thought that these forums would be overwhelmingly GM only who only GM.
Grinder
Since i killed accidently a character (ganger wrestled with a force 6 fire elemental and lost), i don't have to GM anymore. The player of that char wasn't too unhappy about the death and decided to continue my campaign - works fine so far. smile.gif
Pthgar
The first time my wife GMed a game (Food Fight) my buddy who's been playing as long as I (10ish years) got cocky and lost some of his healthy SR paranioa. He walked around an aisle and got a shotgun at point blank. He almost died. It was an excellent lesson in SR lethality.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Pthgar)
The first time my wife GMed a game (Food Fight) my buddy who's been playing as long as I (10ish years) got cocky and lost some of his healthy SR paranioa. He walked around an aisle and got a shotgun at point blank. He almost died. It was an excellent lesson in SR lethality.

Hahaha, owned.

One of my favs was suprising a runner who was a self-proclaimed "melee expert" with a Troll mage. The chummer started to close to melee distance only to get hit with a Manabolt. rotfl.gif
Jrayjoker
I exclusively GM now. A few years ago I rotated GMing with 2 others in a 5 PC game.
Rolemodel
Both.

As I may have mentioned in a previous post, the majority of my Shadowrunning is done on a text based RP enforced environment. While we do have a more than adequate staff section to GM specific events, players may also step into 'temporary GM' positions through Player Run Plots.

This of course would be the less than -majorly- grid impacting sort of plots. I.E, don't dust off Damien Knight and start setting off TactNukes.

So. As an active player, I participate in my share of frequent plots in addition to taking the reigns as a GM.

Good stuff.

-RoleModel
tisoz
I was in a group once that everyone GMed at some point. Mainly me and another guy would GM. It went on like that for quite a bit, then one of the players who disliked me or the way I played (there were definite clashes IC and OoC) proclaimed he was going to GM. He spent the entire session trying to kill my character.

The good thing that came out of that fiasco was the fourth guy in the group decided it couldn't be as hard as he thought and decided to give it a shot. Afterwards he said he was really looking forward to me and the other regular GM ripping through the adventure.

Good memories, even of spending pretty much the majority of a game session hiding on the floorboard of a wrecked truck in a ravine, dodging bullets every time my character decided to stick its head out for a peek.
nezumi
I think it's important to clarify number of games or time divided up.

I play in 6 games (including cyberpunk, etc.), one of which I'm co-gm in, I GM 4. But those four take far and away more than 90% of my time.
Jrayjoker
Good point nezumi. I GM Shadowrun and play "that other game", but my crew is dying a slow and painful death and I just found out we'll be having twins soon, so I may not play/GM much at all anymore.
Crimson Jack
I'd vote for 99% of the time if there was the option, but I do get to game every once in a while. Actually, it's a bit strange not having the whole story behind my screen. Also weird seeing the illustrations on the other side of the screen. smile.gif
Snow_Fox
We rotate through GM's. 3 of us running SR games and one running a VtM. That way we get a break and each GM can work up good adventures without the meat grinder of having to churn out stuff each week.
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
Good point nezumi. I GM Shadowrun and play "that other game", but my crew is dying a slow and painful death and I just found out we'll be having twins soon, so I may not play/GM much at all anymore.

but congratulations are in order.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012