Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Was i BLIND or what?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Solidcobra
Called: ROBOCOP!

i didn't notice but Robocop is JUST like SR, really!

Police=Lone star
The gigacorp=A gigacorp (Probably Ares)
Those (as said in both SR and Robo) "SOTA Grade A Bang-Bang" guns=panthers
Robocop cyber.gif himself can be made (EASILY) using Man and Machine and the Main Book, using Cannon Companion will help as well (Custom Überpistol for weapon, Heavy Hardened Military Armor for Armor)
Corruption in the corp=Corruption in the corp
If some experiment fails, what to do? You give some street drek(Shadowrunners) military stuff(panther) and let them kill it!
The whole thing has that gritty "Shadowrun" feel....

how was i so blind? i mean, every single person south of the north pole must have noticed!

Are there any other heavy (or extreme) SR references in movies?
darloth
GitS!

(To expand my acronym, incase anyone thinks i'm insulting them: )

Ghost in the Shell - Good anime film, that could have been -completely- set in the shadowrun universe.

Only things it lacks are magic and metahumans, which aren't quite as common in japan anyway.

I mean, it has it down to smartlinked snipers, 4 legged drone tank thingies, and of course, Thermoptic camo.

Not to mention the gridguide similarities (read Rigger 3) for the holomap, etc.
phelious fogg
Wait, what about Johnny Nemonic.... smile.gif
AK404
Don't forget that Robocop was so heavily cybered up that he could only eat baby food because he lacked a digestive system. Can you imagine your street sam or a cyberzombie doing that? biggrin.gif

"What the fuck are you looking at?"

"Um...nothing."

"That's right. Now get the hell out of here before I smash these strained peas in your face!"

Oh, and a stupid fact. If you own the original BBB, look at the picture of the Ares Predator. Look familiar?
sapphire_wyvern
QUOTE (Solidcobra @ Sep 9 2003, 10:13 PM)
Are there any other heavy (or extreme) SR references in movies?

Or perhaps more likely, movie references in SR?

biggrin.gif
Crimson Jack
Plus, Paul Verhoven always does a good job at upping the campiness of futuristic advertising. 6000 SUX! The old school SR books had some pretty funny ads in 'em.
Tziluthi
Ghost in the Shell - Good anime film, that could have been -completely- set in the shadowrun universe.

Only things it lacks are magic and metahumans, which aren't quite as common in japan anyway.

Wasn't it set in Hong Kong? Yeah, you're right though, Ghost in the Shell is one of the better cyber-punkish movies out there. Of course, Cowboy Bebop has a few parallels to Shadowrun as well.

Come to think of it, Solidcobra, if you want to find a piece of media that syncs with Shadowrun almost 100%, you might want to read Neuromancer, by William Gibson.
Dr Komuso
There's a pretty cool movie from 92 (I believe) called Split Second. Starring Rutger Hauer, who's already got that "street samurai on the edge" look about him, looking identical to Jake Armitage from the old SNES Shadowrun game. The movie is set in a London, where a faulty bio-dome covering that was supposed to protect the city from the enviroment instead results in a lot of rain. The characters refer to London as The Smoke, Reutger Hauer wields a pistol identical to a Browning Max Power and, later on, a Vindicator mini-gun. If that's not enough, they use "drek" and "frag" extensively. There's a few references to a world wide Matrix. Oh, and Rutger is hunting down a heart-eating, sewer dwelling beast that looks suspiciously like a fleshform bug spirit.

Oh yeah, and there's devil rats. Lots of devil rats.

All of this is, of course, layered on top of the already established "Shadowrun-look", first created by Blade Runner. Day-glo and neon refracting off the rain puddles can't hide the grit.
Dr Komuso
Oh, there's also Strange Days. Written by James Cameron, it's basically about a BTL dealer who uncovers a murder conspiracy. Once again we have the archtypical Shadowrun style club, and the way they do simsense and BTL addiction is pretty much spot on. Even though it's set in 1999, right at the turn of the millenium, the general style and setting of everything makes it easy to imagine it being pre-Awakening SR.

Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Dr Komuso @ Sep 9 2003, 08:47 PM)
There's a pretty cool movie from 92 (I believe) called Split Second.

I hate that movie simply because it gave us the "Big F-ing guns" line.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Solidcobra)
The gigacorp=A gigacorp (Probably Ares)

I don't know what made Ares a bigger rip-off of OCP. That it was HQ'd in Detroit (actually Dallas (IIRC, pt. 1) and Houston (pt. 2)), or that "We ARE the military."
Drain Brain
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)

Man, that's one of the best reasons to love it!

And, IIRC, it's not a minigun. It's a multi-barrelled combat shotgun, kinda like the "Iron-Rain" that was floating around on some fan pages a while back. Ouch.

Also, the female star is exceedingly attractive.

Okay - Shadowrun movies abound. Check lady Jestyr's site (I dont' have the address handy, but you can get there through the main Dumpshock page). It's got a great list. And don't forget to watch Equilibrium which is great for gunbunny physad types. Go see...

By the way, anyone know why you can no longer submit movies to the list? Is she still running it?
kevyn668
Don't forget the bar scene w/ "knights in white satin" playing in the background... wink.gif
Solidcobra
oh! time to check on my local book store/video store......

thanks!
Hot Wheels
"Strange Days" was a case of BTL dealer who caught a political murder on a BTL.

"Robocop" is the example we give for a "smart link" to a new player.
Spookymonster
The Crow = physad vs. Scatterbrains in the Barrens on the annual Night of Rage 'celebration'.
hobgoblin
robocop is a perfect example of a cyberzombie, and the gun he uses looks so mutch like a burst fire ares predator (why burst fire? listen)...
Gyro the Greek Sandwich Pirate
Going back to the Cowboy Bebop reference....

I plan on showing the entire scene from the movie where Spike infiltrates the pharmacutical plant to my players. I will narrate the similarities between this intrusion and much of the work they do. When Spike gets a gun pulled on him, I will say, "This is the part where your run gets hosed." When Spike fights his way out past 100 guards in mil-spec, I will say, "Yes, this is the absolutely coolest way to ride out of an installation. You are not Spike. You will die."

Though if any of the characters is spotting a 'fro, I might be a little lenient...wink.gif
Sepherim
I'd ckeck out Akira too. Though it has some difference with SR, it does have tons of similarities, and some pretty nice motorcicles that I'd bet would make the dreams of any Ancient ganger!

And another anime you'd might want to check is Jin-Roh. It could be descibed as the story of a Red Samurai, and it really is a great story.

Blade Runner is a must, of course. Especially for the ambient of the world, and Vangelis' soundtrack.

Mystery Men, which stinks as a movie, has a completely cyberpunk city as a setting, pretty similar to the one in Blade Runner. And Double Dragon, which stinks even more, has an even more cyberpunkish look to it, plus some magic and similar things.

Minority Report is another must. Though it's a little more in the future, tons of things can be perfectly recognizable.

Finally, Artificial Intelligence is great for a shadorwun world.

There go my 0.2 euros. I'd bet there's more if I think a while more, but those are the ones I remember right now. wink.gif

Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Drain Brain @ Sep 10 2003, 04:10 AM)
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0 @ Sep 10 2003, 05:54 AM)

Man, that's one of the best reasons to love it!

Oh, see I like movies that are, well, GOOD. But that's fine, too.
AK404
City of Lost Souls. What happens when a shadowrun in Brazil against the Triads and the Yakuza goes horribly wrong. Well, maybe not horribly, maybe just a little bit wrong. With a ping-pong table.

And of course, there's always Brother. Beat Kitano, baby.
Dr Komuso
Brother.... yes, you cannot beat Brother for a good tale on Yakuza style in Shadowrun.
Hell, almost any Beat Takeshi movie, despite being set in current times, has the SR feel.
On a related note, any opinions on actors who have the "Shadowrun look"? You know, the people you model characters on, or can at least see tricked out in cyber and/or foci?
My vote goes to Rutger Hauer. His tall, rangy but athletic way of moving combined with his general demeanor just scream wired samurai to me.
Drain Brain
Jude Law would make an excelent Face character... and I reckon Heath Ledger might make a good runner. A younger Ewan MacGreggor would have been a cool Samuel Verner.

Also, the woman (Reya) from Solaris IS an Elf!
phelious fogg
Solaris (the one with Clooney) was such a terrible movie. The orriginal movie (in Russian) is much better, but to really get a feel for it you should read the book (Stanislaw). Its interesting to note that the russian version of the book is worse than the english version because it was censored do to its ending (relating to god during communism was an apparent no-no).
Solidcobra
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
robocop is a perfect example of a cyberzombie, and the gun he uses looks so mutch like a burst fire ares predator (why burst fire? listen)...

You sure it ain't a thunderbolt? it fires so fast that the muzzle hasn't had the time to climb after all...... just a thought..... (haven't found JACK of the stuff posted here, will soon turn to kazaa in despair)
TheScamp
Mystery Men, which stinks as a movie...

OK, that's it. Get out. Seriously.
Sepherim
Scamp, it was horrible, admit it! wobble.gif

Anyway, as for actors with a Shadowrun feel, I must add Harrison Ford, in Blade Runner he was PERFECT.

And Sean Connery can make a real great retired Prime Runner.
Boondocker
Mystery Men rocked. Disparage it not!
BitBasher
Mystery men kicked (and still kicks) ass, I own it on DVD biggrin.gif
TheScamp
Scamp, it was horrible, admit it!

The only thing I'll admit is that you're retarded. wink.gif

It's one of my all time favorite movies.
Birdy
Actors for Shadowrun:

James Wood as "MISTER Johnson"
Denise Richards as "MISTER Johnsons Bunny"

Michael Ironside as "Grizzly old corp hitman / security boss"

Wesley Snipes as "Slightly mad Physical Adept"

Leonardo Di Caprio as "The badly mutilated victim"

Lisa Ryder as "The weapons expert"

Usefull movies:

Oceans Eleven (Cloony version) for the tricks
"Soylent Green" for basic athmosphere
"Rollerball" (both versions) for the "Bread and Circus" idea

Novels:

"The Killer game" is the base for Urban Brawl. Just add a sniper...

Birdy
Crimson Jack
Yeah, I'm throwin' in my vote for Mystery Men too. That movie is way too cool to get bashed without any reason, especially since it's being referenced in regards to the best RPG in the world.. Shadowrun.

I'll forkgive you, if you forkget. mhah, mhah, mhah
Archbishop
Robocop was also obviously equipped with an Invoked Memory Stimulator.
hobgoblin
solidcobra: sure it could be one of those lone star guns but the barrelclimb (or lack of it) can be explained with recoil comps, hell he have cyberarms so whats stopping him from haveing some sort of buildtin gyro stabelizer? (execpt for the fact that in sr that will require visible counterweights that is, maybe he have a experemental one silly.gif )

archbishop: damn right he have a invoked memory stimulator, he is a cyberzombie isnt he?
Vanguard
How could everyone leave out both "The Running Man" and "Total Recall?"

Not only do they feature our favorite governor (as prophesized by SR) but they both have quite a SR feel (Except for the Mars part, but that's ok...easily adapted to an orbital habitat or undersea arcology)

Robocop was not outfitted with an IMS, as those memories he was having were unexpected glitches in the system. They had intended to erase his memory completely. Also, if you remember the attempted rape from the first movie, you know that he most likely has SmartLink II
Digital Heroin
QUOTE (Tziluthi)
Come to think of it, Solidcobra, if you want to find a piece of media that syncs with Shadowrun almost 100%, you might want to read Neuromancer, by William Gibson.

Just picked up my copy... I mean c'mon, the back's got mention of a street sam right on it... nyahnyah.gif

Also, Gibson wrote the short story that inspired Johnny Nuemonic... and in Idoru he created a tale rather like Dodger and his love for an AI...
Vanguard
Neuromancer pretty much singlehandedly defined the cyberpunk genre.

It's an excellent book, and the other two in the trilogy (Mona Lisa Overdrive and Count Zero) are good as well, but not quite as good as Neuromancer.

Virtual Light is also pretty good, and I've always wanted to stat up a "Chunker" from that book into SR (Most likely it's a machine pistol that is limited to Gel rounds only and has some weird mechanic for the ricochet attack).

As for Johnny Mneumonic, not only did he write the short story, he actually wrote the screenplay for the movie...which is why we'll never see another William Gibson movie ever again.
Artemis
The Crow:

More like a man who dies

--> Becomes Ghost // Becomes a free spirit

--> Gains the Hidden Life Power and stores his life force in a Crow

--> Materializes himself and wreaks havok on an unsuspecting community of badies. Gotta love it!

-> Does he gain power/energy/karma for all the badies he geeks? Hmm...
Wonazer
QUOTE (Solidcobra)
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Sep 10 2003, 07:43 PM)

You sure it ain't a thunderbolt? it fires so fast that the muzzle hasn't had the time to climb after all...... just a thought..... (haven't found JACK of the stuff posted here, will soon turn to kazaa in despair)

I am with you. Thinking about Robocop's gun I immediatly thought about the Thunderbolt and its unique sound.
DV8
QUOTE (Drain Brain)
Okay - Shadowrun movies abound. Check lady Jestyr's site (I dont' have the address handy, but you can get there through the main Dumpshock page). It's got a great list.

For the lazy people among us: The Shadowrun Movies List (once) maintained by Lady Jestyr of Dumpshock and Bulldrek fame!
DV8
QUOTE (Vanguard)
It's an excellent book, and the other two in the trilogy (Mona Lisa Overdrive and Count Zero) are good as well, but not quite as good as Neuromancer.

You are obviously not right in the head. wink.gif

Neuromancer was overdone. Gibson used that long, almost Tolkien-esque, descriptive prose left, right and center, to the point that it got annoying. In the last two books of the trilogy he dropped that considerably, and made the books ten times more enjoyable without losing the overal ambience of the setting.
CoalHeart
The Crew from Aliens: Ressurection.
They were so Shadowrun it's creepy.
(PS I can't remember character names)
The wheelchair dude : Rigger/Mechanic
The Female pilot : Rigger
Black Dude with Dreads : Pistol Adept
Big Apish guy : Weapons Expert
Ripley : Athletics / Martial arts Adept (Bug spirit infused?)
The synthetic chick : Decker with internal cyberdeck, also Tech wiz
and I'm probably forgetting others but whatever you get my point
Siege
Walter Jon Williams with:
Voice of the Whirlwind
Hardwired

George Alec Effinger (p-fix chips)
When Gravity Fails

-Siege
DV8
QUOTE (CoalHeart)
Big Apish guy : Weapons Expert

That "Apish" guy is Ron Perlman, a highly under-rated actor. He played Dieter in Blade II, he played Jonher in Aliens: Ressurection, and he played alongside Linda Hamilton in the late-80s as Vincent in Beauty and the Beast, a television series.
CoalHeart
Thank you! I couldn't remember his name for the life of me!
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (DV8)
Neuromancer was overdone. Gibson used that long, almost Tolkien-esque, descriptive prose left, right and center, to the point that it got annoying. In the last two books of the trilogy he dropped that considerably, and made the books ten times more enjoyable without losing the overal ambience of the setting.

Disagree. I personally quite like Tolkienesque prose, but that's a personal preference; regardless, I found both sequels far less compelling. Gibson is a good writer, yes, but the only books he wrote that I would call truly great were Burning Chrome and Neuromancer.

~J
darloth
If we're doing cyberpunk book references, then i feel i should point out Lucifer's Dragon.

Havn't got it around, unfortunaetly, so i can't tell you who wrote it, but it also fits very well, with chromed street amurai with (in one case) bright shiney blue skin, a SK as the defense network (Rapidly becoming AI, from the sound of it) and generally lots of other things. Also happens to have vampires, although i think in that book they're technological.

But anyway, the entire thing could happen just pre-awakening, or set somewhere metahumans aren't around much.
Kagetenshi
The Iron Dragon's Daughter, by Michael Swanwick. I command you all to read it.
Not quite cyberpunk, but a mix of technology and magic with racial issues (fragging dandelion eaters...). Oh, and dragons. Really effing cool ones.

~J
Buzzed
QUOTE (Vanguard @ Oct 31 2003, 04:17 AM)
Also, if you remember the attempted rape from the first movie, you know that he most likely has SmartLink II

If you recall the "baby hostage" scene in Robocop 2, more evidence that it is a Smartlink II and not just a Smartlink I.
The Frumious Bandersnatch
I always thought "The Fifth Element" caught a lot of the style of Shadowrun that other movies miss; namely the magical (a blend of hermetic and shamanic concepts really) and metahuman (alien) vibe. Korbin Dallas' apartment was atypical of the Sprawl in my mind, it featured an all-powerful megacorporation, coffin hotel-style plane cabins, and lots of cool stuff. It even had the Rocker archetype and showed how they could be an interesting and fun addition to a runner group to boot. biggrin.gif

The only thing really wrong about it is that it is set up as a space movie (I could see Shadowrun catching up to it in about a hundred years or so, or at least getting pretty close), a lack of dragons and other non-human power players, and that the metahumans were actually aliens. Otherwise, I thought it captured the feel and style of Shadowrun quite nicely. At least regarding the way I like to protray the world. I hate that whole "grey and miserable" mood that infests cyberpunk.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012