Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Favourite all-time mode of transportation
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Talia Invierno
Yes, I know different PCs have different modes of transport that make them rock (one of mine works pt as a bicycle courier, the other is soon going to make Club Aurora a reality): but if you will, choose the one that you best remember with fondness through one of your PCs (be it due to a specific incident or just generally) - or maybe you might choose the one your PC dreams to have, one of these days?

And tell it! In as much detail as you like!

(Apparently I'm over the poll options limit, so I'm reducing motorcycles, vans (campers and ATeam-style), non-hydrofoil watercraft, and fixed wings (VSTOL and VTOL) to a single category each, and combining some of the other categories. I know in advance I'll also have missed a category someone dearly loves, so I'll apologise for that in advance too. Just give it under "Other" and tell about it smile.gif)
Karmacoma
A familiar spirit with a Yamaha Rapier form would do it for me… wink.gif
Orient
For one very short-lived campaign back in the day I had a character with a Bergen land train. Everyone chipped in a chunk of their starting money to help pay for it. The overall concept had to do with trucking across Australia for some reason. In retrospect, the economics of the campaign were laughable, but it was a blast having such a huge vehicle as transportation/team's home/plot hook. Ahh, fond memories.
FlakJacket
Custom built car. Basically a Eurocar Westwind but with the outer shell/body of an Americar. Loaded up with four points of armour, armoured seats and tires. You had to use shotguns or anti-vehicular ammunition to scratch the thing. Also had a regulator on the engine so when it was on you got the same response and general sound levels as from a regular engine, turn it off though and you could floor it. Stealthy, hideously fast and manouverable with armour up the yazoo. biggrin.gif
AK404
I kinda like the idea of a Black Van. With ruthenium coating.
Fygg Nuuton
i like roadmasters, when you need to hit that drivethrough, and there just may be automatic weapons involved, youll be safe!
Sunday_Gamer
I'm a street shaman, a kid in fact (well he's about 20, which everyone else in my group insists is a kid, plus he looks younger than he is.)

I don't go anywhere without my skateboard.

Athletics 5
Skateboarding 6

When the shit hits the fan, I cast levitate on the board and start doing some REAL tricks. Usually I get on the rooftops, enter the domain of the sky spirits, drop the lev (damned exclusive actions...) summon me a juicy little sky spirit, recast the lev and ask the spirit to grant me it's wings (movement), after that it gets ugly.

Force 4 levitate (nothing fancy) with 4 successes X 7 magic rating = 28 meters per turn (3 seconds), multiplied by the spirits force (usually 5) which means I'm now cruising through the skies at speed 140 which is 168 km/h or for my American friends about 100mph, not too shabby for a skateboard. =)

I also wear a glove with a electromagnet and 50 feet of cable on a microwinch. The trick is finding metal on vehicles, not always easy in this era of plastic and polymers.

Only way to get around, baby. =)

Sunday.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (AK404)
I kinda like the idea of a Black Van. With ruthenium coating.

Yeah. But the question then becomes, what do you put in the glove compartment? smile.gif
TimeKeeper
Drake Hardedge's (my longest running character) BattleCab ™.

Westwind 2099 (turbo variant and no that's not a typo) stats with a 1950's checkered cab body that was shot to hell, had a cracked windshield, a credstick in the rear driverside hubcap (emergency stash) and The Trunk.

Don't even get me started on The Trunk.

<Hears someone way in the back, whispering "I'm going to ask about the this trunk">

Ok, let's just say that it was a Trunk of Holding.
Daishi
Zeppelin.

'Cause I can. smile.gif
Namer18
It was a van, two characters lived in it, oh yeah and it had a mortar, and we had white phosphorous rounds. There's just something about that mortar.
Grey
There is something about a Troll named Bubba riding on his Dodge Scoot. eek.gif
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Talia, you're quickly becoming the Poll-cat! grinbig.gif
Kagetenshi
Chrysler-Nissan Patrol-1. Quick and can pack a punch when it needs to. Oh, and if you're using Rigger 3, it's also easy to get smile.gif

~J
RangerJoe
Nothing like the battle-'bago: a "used" rules Bison with a modest electronics bay in back, room for two orks, and a little moonshine still bubbling away in the back (rickety tin chimney coming out the side and all). True to outlandish form, the burning question when Rigger 3 came out was "are there rules for designing an apparatus that will convert the 'bago into an LTA craft." Nothing like beating traffic by deploying an enormous helium filled skin and sailing off. Sadly, this ridiculous notion never came to fruition, but one fine day...

When Gritz (the 'bago's owner) came back as a powerful NPC, the 'bago had been suped up with a robotic arm, roof-mounted storage space, slick new anti-theft kit, and ruthenium (the default pattern for which was a large confederate battle flag-- quoth the players, "Gritz, can you please change the color of your van? Please? To anything else? PLEASE?!?!?!?")

*Waiting for Namer18 to post, because he already knows the answer, and no one is going to like it*
thunderchild
The Lexus GS400SR from my website!

The lexus however has been altered to only 4 points of armor.
Fygg Nuuton
LIES i made it with 5 armor for a reason!!!!!!!!
Phylos Fett
I had a Player that preferred Shanks's Pony...
Sphynx
I'm with Sunday on this one. Levitate. nyahnyah.gif Except mines at a speed of 72 (86 KMH or 54MPH).

Though, Shapechange-Falcon, is a really nice mode of transport also. nyahnyah.gif

Sphynx
Connor
My long-time rigger character has what can only be described as a stretched (as in limo) semi truck. The idea was based off of one I saw on I-44 years and years ago. It made a nice team vehicle and base of operations from which to do all sorts of things. Also, since he was a dwarf it still had room for a sleeper compartment!
Phylos Fett
QUOTE (Darth Phylos)
I had a Player that preferred Shanks's Pony...

The Player in Question ran the 100 metres in 3.85 seconds, on a running track, just to show he could...
kenji
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
QUOTE (AK404 @ Sep 10 2003, 01:41 AM)
I kinda like the idea of a Black Van.  With ruthenium coating.

Yeah. But the question then becomes, what do you put in the glove compartment? :)

our Rigger's lifetime collection of "Captain Razor" action figures! free with every Manic Meal. just don't let the decker open the glove box.

we lost more deckers that way. and other ways.
thunderchild
QUOTE (Fygg Nuuton)
LIES i made it with 5 armor for a reason!!!!!!!!

I reduced it to 4, because otherwise it was too good.
kevyn668
On the hood/roof of the bad guy's vehicle wink.gif
Crusher Bob
Minivans, Ben. He's going to make minivans...

I'll go for the spell-locked levitate along with a great knowledge of the cities sewer and utility tunnels.
Hot Wheels
My fav is a pick up truck, big, hyped, with a cover on the bed so I can carry drones to a site.
Talia Invierno
As long as there are Dumpshockers willing to tell about their favourites, I'm going to have fun setting up threads to tease them out. I enjoy hearing about them. Besides, how much better if the flavour in a campaign happens to be the result of what PCs actually have done in other games!
Solidcobra
ah, yes.... either i'm gonna use my Ares Apoc (She had a large turret on it, and 20 armor, for only 850k!) or the everyday Aurora Bike
Crusher Bob
There's little more fun to be had in this world than by strapping on your heavily insulated pressure suit with independent O2 supply, levitating (your now heavily laden butt) up to a good 80K feet, and chilling out for a while. (If we don't cover tedious things like pre-breathing pure O2, anyway).
Domino
My Roadmaster Trashtruck variant with living amenities in the rear in place of the compactor. Don't mess with the Trashman or he will take you out...well like trash.
Phylos Fett
QUOTE (Domino)
My Roadmaster Trashtruck variant with living amenities in the rear in place of the compactor. Don't mess with the Trashman or he will take you out...well like trash.

Still flogging that Trashvan?
Domino
Yes since it is my favourite. Taco boy.
John Campbell
Hmm. Y'know, on review of my past characters, I think my answer is generally, "It doesn't matter, as long as it's stolen."
Shadow
I had a buddy who spent 100k and 2 months finiding the last resting place of a DeLorean. He spent months rebuilding it with armor and a modern engine. He couldn't resist making it look like the one from Back to the Future. It was cool though. Nothing like riding into combat with the doors up like wings.
Talia Invierno
And the trunk by Gillette! biggrin.gif
Lucyfersam
I'd have to say my favorite vehicle of all time was a seriously modified jackrabbit. Pristine white paint job with a ruthinium overcoat, the top of the car had an exquisitely painted pocket watch using the polymers to make hands so it actually kept perfect time. The name of the car was of course the White Rabbit. Sure it was conspicuous but is did have style.
Senor 187
Supersonic flight spell from Hoosier Hacker House.
Namer18
I had a character for a while that was severely anti-human and for his mode of transportation kept levitating dead bodies and riding around on them. At first it was due to expediency, but when he was storing particularly good bodies in his bathtub it got kind of scary. Then there was thee issues with casting invisibility on the bodies when he met with the rest of the team, since some of them were human. Still a dwarf riding a rather large dead flying human made for some interesting situations.
Talia Invierno
The newest favourite: the Putter-mobile!

It's basically an overhauled large van with RV interior (back folding bench seating converts to beds, with kitchenette/shower/closet storage divider) and stretched for additional motorcycle storage space and (small) electronics bay. Since it runs on batteries and solar power, it won't get anywhere fast (that's what the motorcycles are for), but it will eventually putter there ... so long as it's either in a city or there's at least some sunshine involved.
Sahandrian
Motorcycle, specifically the Rapier.

Mainly due to a pair of ork mercenaries who appeared in three different campains, and both used one. One I played as Phobos, and Fireball appeared as an NPC. Another I played Fireball and Phobos was the NPC. The in my own campaign they both appeared as NPCs.

They're long-time rivals, and they've never met without a firefight resulting. However, since both have an assortment of cyber- and bioware for the specific purpose of keeping them alive no matter what, they're never managed to kill each other.

...then you had Phaeton's 600 MPH invisible bike with mounts for two heavy weapons and every rigger mod in existance. Now watch him vote different just to contradict me...
Sunday_Gamer
Sphynx, on transform, what the hell do you do with all your clothes and gear? I find I spend entirely too much time naked when I use my shapechange... How do you cope?

Sunday
cykotek
Well, one of my personal favorites was the 650,000 nuyen.gif Eurocar. And before you ask, it only had 3 pts of armor, and no weapons. Let's just say it was fast, smooth, and stylin'.

I've had a player who decided that he wanted a van. He then layered thick armor plating over all the windows, tinting said windows so armor wouldn't be seen. Then he affixed a layer of ruthenium to the inside of the armor to function as a flat-panel monitor, projecting sensor views of the outside on the armor, so it's like the windows were still there. Add racks to "tuck drones to sleep" on. Then install an underbody lift/hatch to lower a doberman/steel lynx/stealthy teammate to the ground without opening doors. Include enough storage space for a pair of motorcycles, a beer dispenser in the dash, a hellhound (the rigger was paranoid about astral attackers), and a freekin' 'uge steel plow blade. And three heavy machine guns. It took him a while to do the work, but the thing was a freaking tank. And if I remember right, the acceleration of a downhill slug.

There's also the vehicle for another one of my players, dubbed "The Franken-Van". More often than not, he'd take payments for runs in car parts. Whenever the team would steal a vehicle, he'd take a select part from it before ditching it, etc. He wanted "all the best parts". The transmission from such and such a truck, the steering linkages from so and so car, etc. Made for a lot of character in the vehicle. He then included all sorts of radar reflective panels, IR sinks and emittors, noise modulators, etc so he could change his sensor signature to appear as a different vehicle. So instead of "that truck that just got away", his sensor profile matched, say, a UPS delivery truck.
ialdabaoth
My personal favorite - a heavily armored Bergen.
Sphynx
QUOTE (Sunday_Gamer)
Sphynx, on transform, what the hell do you do with all your clothes and gear? I find I spend entirely too much time naked when I use my shapechange... How do you cope?

Sunday

When I use transform, I'm most likely on a pleasure trip, not using it to flee or arrive somewhere quick. As a Raven Shaman, I tend to have my lodge in the opn (like I'm suppose to) so I have a private place atop a building (like the guy in the movie Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai) where I can strip down and enjoy being a large predatorial bird. If, however, I found that I had to use the spell in an emergency situation, well, my Foci will still be with me and I'll just lock my invis on til I get home or steal some clothes. nyahnyah.gif

Sphynx
Fortune
QUOTE (Sphynx)
If, however, I found that I had to use the spell in an emergency situation, well, my Foci will still be with me...

How?

I like the variation of Shapechange in (IIRC) Ivy and Chrome, which lets you take a limited amount of items with you.
Sphynx
Because my 2 Foci are both pouches on short leather straps around my neck. The Armour Sustaining Focus is a small pouch with a sliver from a dragon's scale within and my Improved Invisibility Sustaining Focus is a small pouch with a hardened opening and a cork that contains smoke from burning the drug Little Smoke.

Sphynx
Fortune
QUOTE (Sphynx)
Because my 2 Foci are both pouches on short leather straps around my neck. The Armour Sustaining Focus is a small pouch with a sliver from a dragon's scale within and my Improved Invisibility Sustaining Focus is a small pouch with a hardened opening and a cork that contains smoke from burning the drug Little Smoke.

Sphynx

And these magically shrink to fit the size of your new neck when you become a raven?
Sphynx
Nope.

Nowhere did I ever say I shapechange into a raven. nyahnyah.gif I shapechange into a Flacon or Eagle (or any larger than normal bird) with a Body of at least 3.

Nowhere did I say I wear them after I shapechange. Even if I couldn't wear them, I'd always carry these 2 foci with me, rather than leave them hanging around, be it in my mouth/beak, talons, whatever. You just don't leave Foci sitting around anywhere, no matter what.

Sphynx
Phaeton
A custom bike me and Sahandrian made a 600 mph cloaked bike. Imagine Kaneda's bike from "Akira," except on crack.
Sunday_Gamer
I was hoping you had a special sneaky way. Me, I just strip down, stuff all my things into my satchel, hand it to the sam who's looking at me like "What it is with you and being naked dammit?" and then I shapechange, often turning into a monkey before I get dressed.

I figured wtf, I'm a young man with 5 cha and I'm a monkey shaman, a little birthday suit doesn't bother me in the least, though it makes the male PCs nervous and the female NPCs never complain, go figure.

Kong
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012