Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do you find yourself comparing everything to SR?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
torzzzzz
spin.gif

This came up as a topic last night when we were watching the second resident evil film and found ourselves comparing 'Alice' to many of the attributes of the shadowrun world....... you know the drill enhanced articulation, boosted reflexes, smartlink ect... in fact we were going on about the fact that she must have some s**t hot bio ware!

so what do you lot think?

torz x

P.S Sorry about spelling Shadowrun Wrong cant type today and dident notice............. frown.gif
akarenti
Especially films involving that Reeves kid.
Mortax
Yes, my group and I also do this. We also have a compulsion to go and play shadowrun right after seeing movies such as Blade 3 and any of the resident evil movies.

smile.gif dagger with built in monowhip. Bwahahahahahahahaha
Chibu
QUOTE (Mortax)
Yes, my group and I also do this. We also have a compulsion to go and play shadowrun right after seeing movies such as Blade 3 and any of the resident evil movies.

smile.gif dagger with built in monowhip. Bwahahahahahahahaha

Yes we do.
Smiley
Every time we watch TV or a movie, "THAT mofo rolls sixes."
BitBasher
While watching Leon: The Professional...

Two Words: Karma Pool!
Crimsondude 2.0
My role model for the last ten years has been Neil McCauley.
Arethusa
QUOTE (torzzzzz)
Do you find yourself comparing everything to SR?

No, you sad old fuckers.

QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
My role model for the last ten years has been Neil McCauley.

Ok, that's Fairly understandable.
BitBasher
McCauley was a perfect example of how vindictive should be used as a falaw. It sure as hell got him killed.
Crimsondude 2.0
it was bigger than that. He was doomed the moment he walked in Eady's door after the bank robbery.

BTW, the Special Edition DVD... It's Plasma Jesus.
hermit
While watching Leon: The Professional...

Two Words: Karma Pool!

Physad sammy, at least fifth grade initiate and 12 Karma pool, min., focusing on firearms.

Otherwise, not really, no, can't say that. I occasionally think of Shadowrun in terms of the game background lore and the real world. Especially when reading papers in my chosen area of study - bionics and biochemistry, though man-machine interface are a hobby of mine; also, anthropology is quite interesting to see through that "filter" ... Gigantopithecus would have made a nice Troll, and Homo florensis has a lot of gnomeish attributes, doesn't he? Not to mention the Kimil tribes in Papua New Guinea ... ah well.

Mark my words: the first generation of cybernetic limbs is less than five years away, direct computer interface possibly 10 years (both rigging and decking), and nanotechnology and all the other advanced implants will appear in the lifetimes of most of this forum's users either.
Arethusa
QUOTE (BitBasher)
McCauley was a perfect example of how vindictive should be used as a falaw. It sure as hell got him killed.

Erm, not really. Vindictive is for characters that are horribly maladjusted to dealing with other human beings and pay back every little thing ten fold. McCauley hunted a guy down who killed his friends.
tisoz
I usually enjoy a film for itself.

There have been a few I tracked down because people said they had a shadowrun flavor, but I still pretty much watch it for itself.

I have never assigned stats and skills or edges/flaws or possible cyber/bio or adept abilities to a charater while watching and never interpreted actions as dice results while watching a movie. Maybe later when I'm thinking shadowrun and remembering a movie moment.
Crimsondude 2.0
I actually just remember this: The last time I watched The Usual Suspects I started to calculate the TN mods for when McManus shoots the two bodyguards in the garage.
Critias
Range should be decent, but then you've got something I'd call minimal light (especially since he had shades on), +6 or so for near-total cover, +2 for two weapons (which also means CP split two ways), and a popular house rule is a +2 (for targets being in melee with friendlies). No bio, no cyber, no Adept powers to help him out.

McManus is good people.
torzzzzz
QUOTE (hermit)

Especially when reading papers in my chosen area of study - bionics and biochemistry,

wobble.gif
yo hermit do you work in this field if so whats you speciality? i Hvae dealings with Biochemistry mostly!

torz x
hahnsoo
I only do this to bad movies, apparently. I guess I need something to keep my attention on the movie.
BitBasher
and a popular house rule is a +2 (for targets being in melee with friendlies).
we use +4.
Crimsondude 2.0
Nevermind.
Crimson Jack
Yeah, it infiltrated my way of thinking a long time ago. I daydream and overlay shadowrun stuff on top of my regular life all the time for personal and friend-to-friend interactions. I forgot how sad it was a long time ago and now just think its cool.
Sokei
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
I only do this to bad movies, apparently. I guess I need something to keep my attention on the movie.

me and my gaming group went and saw elecktra..... it turned into a discussion about adepts and then into a MST3K parody.
torzzzzz
QUOTE (Arethusa)
No, you sad old fuckers.

WHO YOU CALLING OLD? i will have you know i am on the young side of 30 mmmmmmm i think i will shut up now!

torz x biggrin.gif
Arethusa
QUOTE (torzzzzz)
QUOTE (Arethusa @ Feb 28 2005, 07:22 PM)
No, you sad old fuckers.

WHO YOU CALLING OLD? i will have you know i am on the young side of 30 mmmmmmm i think i will shut up now!

torz x biggrin.gif

Quit yer yappin', grandma. You've got at least a decade on me.

Also, didn't anyone recognize that line from Shaun of the Dead?
torzzzzz
LOL ..... when i was your age..........

torz x
Vulpis umbrae
Shaun of the Dead is one of the funniest movies to come out in recent years.
I definately have some friends like Ed.
Shaun is clearly defaulting on Rifles in the Winchester...though he might have a fairly decent Clubs skill wink.gif
Sokei
QUOTE (Vulpis umbrae)
I definately have some friends like Ed.
Shaun is clearly defaulting on Rifles in the Winchester...though he might have a fairly decent Clubs skill wink.gif

Decent clubs skill?! i thought he preforming ART! it was sheer genius the way he whacked away with that thing... id say at least a 5 in clubs. spin.gif
Perssek
Funny. When I start a new game, I have to literally, become one with the rules and the gender, or my wandering attention will lead me to another system or background.

So, when I started playing SR again, and my wife decided to join, we went on watching all kinds of bad cyberpunk movies (thereīs a lot of them on my cable movie channels), the whole Ghost in the Shell series and thinking of EVERYTHING in SR terms...

Well, not everything, but you get the idea. Whenever I see an action movie or a good cartoon (or even bad ones - weīve been watching local releases of those awful american versions of Streetfighter and Mortal Kombat), I make notes to future adventures.

My wife, in particular (who plays a heavily cybered Street Sam), keeps asking "can I have an implant like that? Can I? Please!" I should never have introduced her to Star Trek. Now she wants a fragging Ares Disruptor ("who cares about these puny lasers? Itīs REAL firepower I want. Are you sure Klingons arenīt awakened variants of Orks? Foodīs on the table. Cold. As my revenge")

Oh drek.
toturi
I voted no. I do not compare a film to the SR world.

I think in SR game mechanics. When I play basketball, it is opposed roll Athletics(Basketball). When I shoot, it is a called shot. When I miss, I think,"I would gotten a SL 2 implanted if I wasn't a bookninja. Ninjas are adepts and adepts don't get implants. Damned roleplaying GM will dock my karma if I did." *mumble*mumble*

When I go for an exam, it is a Knowledge Skill TN 8. Oops, no successes! Frag that! I'm spending karma for a re-roll!

When I drive, I think, "Things would be much easier with a VCR."
Crimsondude 2.0
Wow. (This applies to the two immediately previous posts.)
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (toturi)
When I drive, I think, "Things would be much easier with a VCR."

This one definitely applies to me as well. Likewise, nearly every time I use a phone I think about how much better it would be with a transducer. A bit beyond SR tech, but I also regularly think of how much easier things would be if private DNI-controlled text transmission over short range wireless connections was possible. Damn personal communications, there's no good way to send a low-priority message.

~J
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (Vulpis umbrae)

Except when it became retardedly another genre of film at random moments throughout its length. Funny at moments though, I'll give it that.
Vulpis umbrae
Well, there is no accounting for taste, I guess. Or a nicer way of saying that: everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I found the comedy/romance elements of it to really add to the movie with juxtaposed with the zed-word stuff. It was all the funnier.

Also, I definately can relate to thinking of things in movie terms: the person who posted about McManus being amazing was certainly right. I watched The Usual Suspects last night, and cringed at the thought of the TN he would have had to hit to kill those guys in garage. I don't really think of that when I'm failing a physiology test or something similar...its usually more of 'why the hell didn't I study for this thing, and stay up all night drinking and playing Tekken instead?'
toturi
I don't really think of that when I'm failing a physiology test or something similar...its usually more of 'why the hell didn't I study for this thing, and stay up all night drinking and playing Tekken instead?'

I'd be "Take a deep breath. Focus. You paid attention in class, you know this drek." What am I doing? Yes, I'm an adept initiate and I'm Centering. eek.gif nyahnyah.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012