Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sorcery
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Shockwave_IIc
So there i was reading my SR3 and i came across a passage that says this.

QUOTE (SR3 page 174)
Use the melee combat rules to make attacks. The character may attack using an armed combat skill if armed with a weapon focus, Unarmed Combat if not, or Sorcery in place of either skill. Even character that can't cast spells (like Adepts).....

Ok now this is the third paragraph under Astral Combat Tests. The first is what you do with Perceiving and other Dual Beings. The second about projecting characters. The third seems to apply to both.

Now my First Question is does it apply to both?

Also if i had a character that was say a Sorcery Adept with a slant for spirit hunting, with say just Sorcery 6, Charisma 8 and a rating 4 Telescoping Staff would he kick ass vs Spirits in combat? Just in Astral or in Physical combat as well?

Side Note: Stun Bolt/ Spirit Bolt. Is it me or is Spirit Bolt weak compared to Stun Bolt as Stunning a Spirit to deadly does distrupt it?
Moonwolf
Yeah, spirit bolt is a bit sucky. Spirit blast on the other hand is very useful, since it doesn't hit your team.
mfb
the Cha 8 won't be useful. as a dual being, you use your physical attributes for astral combat.
Necro Tech
What is a rating 4 telescoping staff?

You would be much better off using the force of will against spirits as your charisma would come into play and you get the reach bonus of the staff. See SR3 Pg. 188 for details.

Its is very unlikely that you could hurt a spirit in physical combat unless you are using a weapon focus as you would be using your strength otherwise.

The rules do apply to both but adepts can't project so...... Also, sorcery used this way counts as spent until it refreshes in your next pass so no spell defense.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Necro Tech)

Possibly a rating four weapon focus?
tisoz
QUOTE (Necro Tech)
Also, sorcery used this way counts as spent until it refreshes in your next pass so no spell defense.

Would it not be available if you needed to defend an astral melee attack?
Eyeless Blond
I suppose it splits up by specialization: you can use it for astral combat, but if you do you can't use it for anything *but* astral combat until it refreshes.
Necro Tech
Nope. Like spell defense, when the sorcery dice are used they are gone until your next pass. Its the penalty for not having a real combat skil.
Glyph
Sorcery is not worth it for most adepts. If they have astral perception or are dual-natured from SURGE, they are better off simply using their normal armed or unarmed combat skills against astral beings. I can see a sorcerer or mage using it, since they could conceivably lack other melee skills, but most adepts will already have one or more high-rated melee skills, making sorcery redundant.

EDIT:
For a sorcerer, like your guy, he would need to be astrally perceiving to get the benefits of sorcery as a melee skill. In normal physical combat, he would be stuck defaulting to Strength or using an opposed Willpower test like mundanes, neither of which are optimal tactics for a sorcerer. Note that Charisma becomes astral Strength only when you are actually projecting - for merely perceiving (all that a sorcerer can do), you use your meat-body's Strength.
Prospero
On a side note, having Sorcery as the astral combat skill never really made sense to me. I mean, I guess you can use it to manipulate mana, but conjuring - the skill needed to deal directly with spirits - always seemed to make more sense. I mean, the astral is the spirits' home turf, right? So why isn't prowess at dealing with spirits an indicator of badassitude? Just a thought.
Narmio
QUOTE (Prospero)
I mean, the astral is the spirits' home turf, right? So why isn't prowess at dealing with spirits an indicator of badassitude? Just a thought.

You aren't *really* dealing with spirits when using Sorcery as a combat skill when projecting. You're just lobbing mana around in cruel and unusual ways. Which is definitely Sorcery, not Conjuring.
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
QUOTE (Necro Tech @ Mar 1 2005, 02:52 AM)

Possibly a rating four weapon focus?

Yes. Sorry, my bad. It is a Rating 4 Weapon Focus.

QUOTE (Glyph)
Note that Charisma becomes astral Strength only when you are actually projecting - for merely perceiving (all that a sorcerer can do), you use your meat-body's Strength.

Although that is true it's not 100% true. According to Pg 191 Weapon Foci
Active weapon foci can be used against targets in astral space, provided the wielder is also present there. When used in astral combat, the weapon focus's Power is determined using Charisma instead of physical Strength.

Though it may of been an oversight. One way of reading that is that, when using weapon Foci in Astral combat you use Charisma instead of Strength wether you be a Dual being or Purely Astral being (assuming you've bonded the weapon ofcause)

So if that is the case i use Sorcery as my skill, Astral Combat Pool as my Pool, Charisma as my Strength or weaopn Power. Offcause if im going up against a Materialized Spirit i'd need either a Real combat skill (Polearms) or used a Contest of Wills, since im a Sorcerer i've likely got a Good Willpower and we know i have a Charisma of 8, so that might be the best option (if we are short on skill points which is likely since the weapon Focus cost us a Bomb).

The Next question is, does the Weapon focus add it's rating in dice to my Willpower role in a Contest of wills? as under Weapon Foci pg 191 it says
An Active Weapon Focus adds its Force to its owners appropriate combat skill when wielded in combat

And on Pg 188 under Physical Form
The character uses Willpower to make a melee attack against the spirit (Combat Pool dice may not be used). The character can wield a weapon, although mundane weapons do not affect the base damage....

So what the effect of a Focus being used in a Contest of wills then???
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Shockwave_IIc)
So if that is the case i use Sorcery as my skill, Astral Combat Pool as my Pool, Charisma as my Strength or weaopn Power.

Regular combat pool. "Astral" Combat pool is nothing more than the regular combat pool of a purely astral being. Sorcerers cannot become purely astral, thus you can't have an "astral" combat pool.
Prospero
QUOTE (Narmio)
QUOTE (Prospero @ Mar 1 2005, 03:00 AM)
I mean, the astral is the spirits' home turf, right? So why isn't prowess at dealing with spirits an indicator of badassitude? Just a thought.

You aren't *really* dealing with spirits when using Sorcery as a combat skill when projecting. You're just lobbing mana around in cruel and unusual ways. Which is definitely Sorcery, not Conjuring.

I mean, I kinda see where it comes from, but Conjuring also involves manipulating mana and, generally, in astral combat you *are* dealing with spirits - eihter them or astral magicians, whose astral bodies are made up of astral energy, so... why not conjuring? Makes sense to me. I realize it was probably a fairly arbitrary choice in terms of game design, but it also seems to me that sorcery is already the more powerful of the two skills and conjuring could use a bit of a boost in relation. Just my .02 nuyen.gif .
Endgame50
QUOTE (Shockwave_IIc @ Mar 1 2005, 08:34 AM)

The character uses Willpower to make a melee attack against the spirit (Combat Pool dice may not be used). The character can wield a weapon, although mundane weapons do not affect the base damage....

Reach modifiers, mostly like any mundane weapon. Whips are among the best defense for mundanes against spirits. Which is just as well, because aside from the dreaded monofilament whip, they're rather useless most of the time against anything else.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Prospero @ Mar 1 2005, 12:43 PM)
I mean, I kinda see where it comes from, but Conjuring also involves manipulating mana and, generally, in astral combat you *are* dealing with spirits - eihter them or astral magicians, whose astral bodies are made up of astral energy, so... why not conjuring? Makes sense to me. I realize it was probably a fairly arbitrary choice in terms of game design, but it also seems to me that sorcery is already the more powerful of the two skills and conjuring could use a bit of a boost in relation. Just my .02 nuyen.gif .

This would all be true, except spirits don't come from or live on the astral plane normally, do they? They in fact have to be called there, which is the whole point of Conjuring in the first place. In fact, Conjuring appears to have more to do with controlling *metaplanar* energy than astral energy. Manipulating astral energy seems to be the province of Sorcery.
bitrunner
i can't find it in the second edition books i've glanced through, but i used to use an optional rule for my home campaign that allowed people to use Conjuring to combat spirits...the rationale being that people have certain cultural faiths, religions, or other beliefs that allow them to have rituals for banishing, etc that are also effective in fighting spirits, now that magic has returned. For instance, a devout Christian could use a cross, holy water, and other devices to effectively combat a spirit using the Conjuring skill to represent the power of their faith and the understanding of various summoning and banishing rituals (prayers, etc).

maybe it was in Awakenings, but i can't remember...

anyways, it allowed adepts and mundanes to combat spirits if they had the Conjuring skill - still no pools though...
hahnsoo
The only thing I can remember that resembles this are house rules that I think were from NAGEE, but I don't have Awakenings or the original Grimoire sitting around anywhere near...
Endgame50
QUOTE (bitrunner)
i can't find it in the second edition books i've glanced through, but i used to use an optional rule for my home campaign that allowed people to use Conjuring to combat spirits...the rationale being that people have certain cultural faiths, religions, or other beliefs that allow them to have rituals for banishing, etc that are also effective in fighting spirits, now that magic has returned. For instance, a devout Christian could use a cross, holy water, and other devices to effectively combat a spirit using the Conjuring skill to represent the power of their faith and the understanding of various summoning and banishing rituals (prayers, etc).

maybe it was in Awakenings, but i can't remember...

anyways, it allowed adepts and mundanes to combat spirits if they had the Conjuring skill - still no pools though...

Isn't that what bansihing is supposed to represent? Admittedly, I'd rather just pound the spirit into astral pulp, myself... but I've never been a big conjurer.

Sorcery seems more like on the spot astral energy manipulation--I suppose it could explain the astral combat specialization, but like someone said, it's probably just compensation for the poor projecting magician probably lacking a combat skill.
Necro Tech
QUOTE (Shockwave_IIc)
though it may of been an oversight. One way of reading that is that, when using weapon Foci in Astral combat you use Charisma instead of Strength wether you be a Dual being or Purely Astral being (assuming you've bonded the weapon ofcause)

So if that is the case i use Sorcery as my skill, Astral Combat Pool as my Pool, Charisma as my Strength or weaopn Power. Offcause if im going up against a Materialized Spirit i'd need either a Real combat skill (Polearms) or used a Contest of Wills, since im a Sorcerer i've likely got a Good Willpower and we know i have a Charisma of 8, so that might be the best option (if we are short on skill points which is likely since the weapon Focus cost us a Bomb).

The Next question is, does the Weapon focus add it's rating in dice to my Willpower role in a Contest of wills? as under Weapon Foci pg 191 it says
An Active Weapon Focus adds its Force to its owners appropriate combat skill when wielded in combat

And on Pg 188 under Physical Form

You can't use sorcery and use a weapon of any kind. Sorcery for combat is just like deckers using hacking pool to attack with, a poor substitute when you have nothing else.

Your telescoping focus would require you to use armed combat polearms and you would do Charisma damage against astral targets plus get the extra dice.

When using contest of wills, it makes no difference if you are using a butter knife or a rating 10 great axe focus, the weapon is symbolic only, you are attacking with willpower.
Prospero
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
QUOTE (Prospero @ Mar 1 2005, 12:43 PM)

This would all be true, except spirits don't come from or live on the astral plane normally, do they? They in fact have to be called there, which is the whole point of Conjuring in the first place. In fact, Conjuring appears to have more to do with controlling *metaplanar* energy than astral energy. Manipulating astral energy seems to be the province of Sorcery.

Not necessarily. Think of watchers - they're totally astral. And conjuring creates temporary astral constructs while it's going on - basically wards. And there are several places in the books where they refer to the astral plane as spirits' home turf. They're certainly at home there and reluctant to leave unless they have to. It just makes sense to me to have socery deal exclusively with casting spells - which is badass enough - and have conjuring deal exclusively with manipulating spirits and related astral energy. Anyway, I might put something like this in as a house rule and see how it works out. I've never actually had to deal with any of this stuff in a game yet and I've been playing for a loooong time, so it might just be a moot point.
Fortune
QUOTE (Necro Tech)
You can't use sorcery and use a weapon of any kind. Sorcery for combat is just like deckers using hacking pool to attack with, a poor substitute when you have nothing else.

Do you have any kind of quote to back that up? SR3 p 174 states about Astral Combat ...

Use the melee combat rules (p. 120) to make attacks. The character may attack using an armed combat skill if armed with a weapon focus, Unarmed Combat if not, or Sorcery in place of either skill.

Since Sorcery can be used in place of armed combat (which, according to the rules, can only be used if the character is armed with a weapon focus), it stands to reason that a weapon focus can be used to normal effect with the Sorcery skill.
Necro Tech
I been down this road a few times before. Its all about how you interpret the damage tables on the next page. Dual beings have their own listing for damage, STR (M). If sorcery is being used as a substitute for armed combat, why is there difference? Why the double listing? As an adept can only be armed or unarmed, there shouldn't be anything else on the table but those two choices and spirits.

Allow it or not, its still a crappy substitute. All the spirit you are fighting has to do is materialize and then you are defaulting to strength. Also, when it attacks back you only have the focus dice because your sorcery wont refresh until next turn because it got "used up".

Contradicting rules, who would have thunk it.
JaronK
QUOTE (Necro Tech)
Allow it or not, its still a crappy substitute. All the spirit you are fighting has to do is materialize and then you are defaulting to strength. Also, when it attacks back you only have the focus dice because your sorcery wont refresh until next turn because it got "used up".

I'm not certain that's how it works. I mean, if Sorcery is substituted for those skills, shouldn't it behave exactly like those skills? So, if you have Sorcery 6, in the astral that should be the exact same as Unarmed 6 (or whatever), without any of this "used up" thing.

Of course, the spirit can still attack your meat body while materialized, and you can't use Sorcery if you have to fight in your body, but that's the only real difference I see.

JaronK
Necro Tech
It says so in the book. When you use sorcery for spell defense or casting its the same. If you use it up doing one thing, it can't be used for anything else until your next turn. So, no defense allowed unless you don't use it on your turn.
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE (Necro Tech)
Also, when it attacks back you only have the focus dice because your sorcery wont refresh until next turn because it got "used up".

The thing is that gets me about that rule.
QUOTE (SR3 Pg174)

..(Note that using Sorcery in this manner does "use up" Sorcery dice for purposes of Spell Defense, Spellcasting and so on)..

Now i understand it being "used up" for the likes of Spell Defence since you have to allocate that in advance but not for Spellcasting. As for what the "and so on" means... The sentence makes more sense if it was referencing Spell Pool.

But does using it as a Combat Skill on say pass 9 mean that when the spirit counterattacks on 8 you don't have it?

Dual beings have their own listing for damage, STR (M).

or by type

Unarmed= For people who are Unarmed and Purely Astral.

Armed= For people who are Dual Natured or Purely Astral With Weapon Focus. Since on page 191 it say's that in Astral Combat Weapon Foci use Charisma as the power for the attack not strength with no mention of who or what is using it.

Dual Being= For things that are Unarmed. Like Killing Hands.
Necro Tech
I've always hated that table.

Really really bad table. Unarmed is always STR(M), when on the astral, you CHR IS your STR.

Regardless, depending on sorcery is a very bad idea. Besides, when have you ever seen someone with a weapon focus that didn't have armed combat?

Ninja Edit.
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE (Necro Tech)
Also, why do you assume that the armed listing applies to both and the others don't?

Because thats the way the Astral Damage Codes table reads when used along side the Foci rules on pg 191. At least to me at 05.30 in the morning.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012