Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [ShadowsOfEurope] Runs Based in Europe
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
torzzzzz
We were going to do a run based in Europe but there douse not seem to be much in the way of material, if anyone has any names of books or source material that could help on the backgroud for a run in Europe i would be very greatfull.

Thanks

torz x smile.gif
Kanada Ten
You mean beyond Shadows of Europe? There's the London SB, the Germany SB, the Tir na nOg SB, and then a few online netbooks. Harlequin, the adventure, has some information on Germany as well. Background on multiple European cities appears in many of the most recent books.
AIM-54
Shadows of Europe is a pretty good source. biggrin.gif I like it, at any rate.

Otherwise, seeing as you are in Europe, it can be a lot of fun to create your own little section based on your perceptions of a European locale and how you think it might shake out under the terms of the SR universe. I did this with Boston, using the SR timeline as a bit of a guide and have had a lot of fun with it. Little details that your players can recognize often helps them get into the world, I've found.
Crimsondude 2.0
Some of that background information is in Cyberpirates!, Target: Smuggler Havens, Sprawl Survival Guide, SOTA:2063, Dragons of the Sixth World, and, hell, pretty much every book written in the last three years has a little bit of info about the occasional European location.
torzzzzz
good point doh! but it would be interesting to hear of any games based in Europe that peeps have played. Just for the ideas.

torz x
Synner
(Unsurprisingly) I've playtested a campaign where the runners are working for the anti-Lofwyr cabal. It begins shortly after DotSW gets uploaded and the conspirators are outted and so far they've been to war-torn Poland, New Monaco, Nice, Oslo, Lisbon, Prague and are now running around the UK (Lof has Princess Caroline snatched when he learns she's carrying Spinrad's child but makes it look like it was the Underground).

A friend of mine is running a rather nice gritty, steet level game set against the mob war developing in France and involving lots of different factions.

And then of course there's my Winternight campaign...
AIM-54
We've played a surprising number of games based in Europe, most recently an organized crime game based on the competition between the native Polish syndicates and the Russin Vory V Zakone (IIRC). We also had a smuggler game based out of Andorra, with runs into Spain and France, as well as a ganger game in Brighton, England.

A lot of this was done without too much material from the sourcebooks, but rather just looking at the map and wondering about what would be cool. cool.gif
mattness pl
And don't forget about Paranormal Animals of Europe (7112). If you're looking for local critters smile.gif
hermit
For infromation about Europe, check Target: Wastelands for information on Germany's SOX irradiated zone, Taget: Smuggler Havens for some information on Kronstadt (Russia), the BBB for some basics on the Eurowars, various novels that take place in Europe, as well as the above mentioned SBs.

Me, I have had the occasional adventure take place in Germany, since my group often works abroad (though still being Seattle-based), but no definitly European campaign, though I have to wait and see how one story arc develops, as I know the guy GMing it is in favor of us gradually shifting to Europe (especially Germany).
Sepherim
I've run twice in Germany (one was the Harlequin run) and had my campaign run a little time from Euskal Herria, though my players found that Spain was too complicated for them and decided that their characters would return to Seattle. During all that time, I used little more than what appears in SoE and the results were quite satisfying.
Crimson Jack
I've done a few runs for my group in Germany, a couple in Tir na Nog, one very fun underworld run in London, and a highly memorable run in the Czech Republic (I had fun with the Bone Church of Sedlec)... and thanks to Synner for a bit of extra info on that particular run. wink.gif
Skarn Ka

Currently Germany mostly, since I'm running Schockwellen to my players (so far the best campaign they ever played ITO, with Brainscan close second).

But I'm meshing some personal stuff from the background of the most interesting PC, and there are side events in the Scand Union, France, Italy, Switzerland and Hungary (still trying to grab this elusive Hungary SB rotfl.gif )

Then I guess soon enough I'll ship them to the Middle-East, but that's another story grinbig.gif
Prospero
If you actually want to know anything from the Hungary SB, I'd be happy to share any info, though it's a little out of date when it comes to cannon.
hermit
Well, I'd be interested too. smile.gif
torzzzzz
I would too as it would make a change, my character is form Germany so it would be good to have a game based in Europe.

torz biggrin.gif
hermit
Heh ... where from, precisely?
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Prospero)
If you actually want to know anything from the Hungary SB, I'd be happy to share any info, though it's a little out of date when it comes to cannon.

Certainly. Perhaps you could give us an idea of what the general lay of the land is like - quick history, recent highlights, what's the government like etc.?

Edit: Does anyone know how canon the Hungary sourcebook is? Because I was going to suggest adding some of the information to the Shadowrun Wiki if you felt up to it to help flesh it out some.
Synner
Like the French book, the Hungary book is non-canon. This doesn't mean it isn't canon-compatible, however, I get the feeling that the Hungary book isn't going to be easy to meld with the material from Germany and SoE on the history of the region (ie. Euro-Wars, Danube Union, Leopold, et al). Note- this doesn't mean the 206x material might not still be compatible. I for one would be very interested in reading a detailed summary or review. It always struck me as strange that though there's a local book, we couldn't track down a single Hungarian for the EuroSB project.
hermit
Even if parts of it are non-canonizable, it can still at the very least be useful for city descriptions and organisations and such things.

Otherwise, I'd have to depend on my dad's old Hungaria travel guide. Published 1975, and full of praise about the glory of the free Hungarian workers and the modern buildings in Budapest. nyahnyah.gif

And, of course, the CIA World factbook, which is only marginally more up to date, I imagine . nyahnyah.gif

And as for adding things to the SR wiki ... if desired, I could try and translate some additional information on Austria and Switzerland that were left out in the SoE.
Drain Brain
Torz, I'm running a game set in London on the Welcome to the Shadows board. All the games I run IRL are set in the UK (or based there), but this is my first online.

If you want to take a look, feel free...

If you're interested, I'm considdering the potential for doing more on here. Let me know if you feel like partaking and I'll give you a shout at the appropriate time.

xDBx
Prospero
I think its quasi-cannon, but not too much. When I bought it a few years ago, I emailed FASA to see if they had any plans to publish any of the info in English somewhere and they emailed me back telling me that they didn't even know that a Hungary sourcebook existed. So it can't be all that cannon. And they are somewhat out of sinc with cannon as of SoE, too. I dinked around with the Wiki a couple of weeks ago and added some things (I hope I did anyway. I'm not horribly netsavvy and I had problems adding some of the things).

Quick lowdown: in the early part of the century Hungary's economy was spiralling down the toilet, so they started to accept toxic waste from abroad and dumping it for high prices. So several toxic zones (of course) gradually formed from all this waste. As a backlash to this, the green party got control sometime in the 2020s or 30s (I'm working and don't have the book available at the moment) and other fringe political groups formed. During the Eurowars - which the Hungary sourcebook has happening 2ce, once in the early 2030s and the bigger attack later on in the late 2030s - Hungary allied with the Czechs and the Austrians (the first time) and then, because of a falling out of the alliance, bought support against the second Jihad by basically giving the AAAs a lot of concessions so they'd throw around their private armies to protect the major cities. The Arabs invaded and occupied most of the E of the country then got kicked out.

The occupied E shattered into little de facto kindgoms - the border with Austira is controlled by a dragon called Kalamona (not sure if its great or not), there's a dwarf kingdom around Lake Balaton, and anarchists and ultra-nationalists control the cities in the SW like Pecs. The W then followed suit and most of the area that borders Romania (or what's left of it) is contolled by other factions - some orc politician/warloard controls Nyiregyhaza in the NE, IIRC. Most of the plains are de facto ruled by the local shamans because the gv't in Budapest can't be bothered. And Szeged, in the south, is a huge crazy city of black market goodness, since its within 50 klicks of both the Romanian border (or what used to be the Romanian border) and the mass of microstates in the Balkans, as well as full of Arabs who didn't want to leave (IIRC). So, basically, only the central part of the country is actually govered by Budapest, really. Oh, and there was the obligatory nuclear meltdown at Paks (where, today IRL, the only Hungarian nuclear plant is).

The big local AA is CEH, or the Central European Highway Corporation (yes, the name's even in English) who basically maintains all the major roads and kinda keeps the peace by, well, killing people who screw with others on the roads.

It's not too bad, but after SoE, I'd change a good bit. After having lived there for 2 years and getting info from this book and SoE, I have some cool ideas about what it would be like. I keep meaning to write them up, but I'm in the middle of doing my MA thesis right now, so I don't have a lot of time. Maybe I'll do it in May.

Anyway, if you want any other info, or specifics or anything, just lemme know.
torzzzzz
QUOTE (Drain Brain)
Torz, I'm running a game set in London on the Welcome to the Shadows board. All the games I run IRL are set in the UK (or based there), but this is my first online.

If you want to take a look, feel free...

If you're interested, I'm considdering the potential for doing more on here. Let me know if you feel like partaking and I'll give you a shout at the appropriate time.

xDBx

Would love to as i don't get much chance to play at the moment, but there is always a pooter hanging about at work i can get on, and i am never off the thing at home. Let me know when you plan to star and what i have to do!

torz x

Hermit - Munich where else?? biggrin.gif Ex S/F
hermit
Hahaha! Imagine the Hofbräuhaus full of drunk orcs and trolls ... and imagine the 10-Mass-tankard for a troll ... oh yeah. biggrin.gif

Sounds like a funny place to run in. smile.gif
torzzzzz
Too right!
We also have an Ex French Legion member (snake shamon) who changed in the mass mutation, and an Ex SAS phis adept who is a pain in the ass! biggrin.gif hehehe but fun to play with!

Was thinking of doing an online run but i need to get some pratice first as i have never played online before!

torz x
hahnsoo
QUOTE (hermit)
Hahaha! Imagine the Hofbräuhaus full of drunk orcs and trolls ... and imagine the 10-Mass-tankard for a troll ... oh yeah. biggrin.gif

Sounds like a funny place to run in. smile.gif

Eins, Zwei, Guzuffah!
torzzzzz
LOL

torz
hermit

Eins, Zwei, Guzuffah!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!
torzzzzz
QUOTE (Prospero)

Just created a character form Hungary, so any information would be a great help for the background.

torz x
Prospero
QUOTE (torzzzzz)
QUOTE (Prospero @ Mar 4 2005, 02:10 PM)

Just created a character form Hungary, so any information would be a great help for the background.

torz x

Other than that huge overview I posted earlier in the thread, if you want any other info, just ask me about specifics. What part of Hungary is the character from, BTW?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012