Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thunderbird range and fuel economy
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Mr.Cato
I was just wondering if anybody else found it strange that the vehicle "designed and used as a reconnaissance and courier vehicle", has a radius of operation of 187 km.
Because of its outrageous fuel consumption it has to stop for gas every 18 min. after flying 375 km. Does this make sense ?

from R3:

Banshee
Speed (km/h): 1200
Fuel: 7500 liters
Econ: 0,05 km/l

Tarantula
You realize cars get gas every 200-300 miles, and 375km = 233miles. So they refill about as much as a car.
Garland
I'd be more worried about the thing's inability to loiter and make an extraction. Guess the run better be quick.
Austere Emancipator
That t-birds have horrible gas mileage makes absolute sense, since they're jet powered aircraft with the aerodynamic qualities of a brick. That someone would use one for reconnaissance or as courier vehicles is the bit that doesn't make sense.

Most RL combat aircraft have radii of operation far greater than 187km, but that you probably knew/guessed. Even with a large payload, you should get at least 500km (radius for combat operation) out of any good fighter jet.
Mr.Cato
well... yes... I just thought that for 2.5 mill nuyen.gif you would get more than a 15 min. ride...

and as for a reconnaissance vehicle... 180 km and you don't have a second to stop along the way. It can only operate in territory where fuel is available every 300 km.
Mr.Cato
yes A.E., that was my point: this vehicle has a very small niche. Can't see where any other cheaper vehicle would do.
Tarantula
Note, thats the banshee, I'm pretty sure there are a few other t-bird that have better economy ratings. Not to mention you can customize it to have better economy as well (at the expense of performance).
Backgammon
Can't you add extra fuel tanks like with planes?
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Tarantula)
Note, thats the banshee, I'm pretty sure there are a few other t-bird that have better economy ratings.

Not in Rigger 3 at least, all t-birds there have the same fuel ec (0.05km/l) and the same fuel tank size too (7,500l).

To increase the fuel economy of a jet turbine t-bird to 0.3km/l in the design phase would cost 600 design points, or 150,000 nuyen (the Mark-Up of t-birds being 2.5).
Tarantula
Actually... yes, you can backgammon, its a customization, aircraft fuel tanks on the wings.
Austere Emancipator
It'd take 2 external mounts to attach aircraft drop tanks (for some reason you cannot mount a single drop tank on a center-chassis mount). For chasses which do have a pair of free external mounts, the pair of drop tanks gives you 2,000 extra liters of fuel for -1 Signature. This means a 50km greater radius of operation for the LAVs in SR3 and R3.
FrostyNSO
Seems like the Sperber attack helicopter gives you the most bang for your buck.
Austere Emancipator
What book is that in?
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Mr.Cato)
Because of its outrageous fuel consumption it has to stop for gas every 18 min. after flying 375 km. Does this make sense ?

What doesn't make sense is the idea that you'd always be going top speed with it, IMO.

~J
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
What doesn't make sense is the idea that you'd always be going top speed with it, IMO.

The thing is a flying brick. One of it's few advantages over other vehicles is that it can fly very fast, very close to the ground. It's not the sort of vehicle that you'd take for a leisurely Sunday Drive through the country.
RangerJoe
Ah the T-Bird. SUV of the air. For folks who need them, the fuel economy is good enough. For those who don't need them, the armor and turrets just make them feel safer in the troubling 60's.
The Grifter
Yeah, buying T-Birds supports terrorism! LOL
Gyro the Greek Sandwich Pirate
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
QUOTE (Tarantula)
Note, thats the banshee, I'm pretty sure there are a few other t-bird that have better economy ratings.

Not in Rigger 3 at least, all t-birds there have the same fuel ec (0.05km/l) and the same fuel tank size too (7,500l).

To increase the fuel economy of a jet turbine t-bird to 0.3km/l in the design phase would cost 600 design points, or 150,000 nuyen (the Mark-Up of t-birds being 2.5).

That, with the extra fuel tanks, gives one a nice boost up to 1425 kilometers, or 2850 km if you can expect refuel on the other end.

That's about 885 miles and 1770 miles, respectively.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Gyro the Greek Sandwich Pirate)
That, with the extra fuel tanks, gives one a nice boost up to 1425 kilometers, or 2850 km if you can expect refuel on the other end.

That's about 885 miles and 1770 miles, respectively.

Road Trip! Who wants to go to CalFree? Anyone? Anyone? smile.gif
The Grifter
Sign me up. But only if I get to take out the border guards in a running gunfight.
Kagetenshi
I'll drive. Who wants to man the guns?

~J
Req
Yo.
Kanada Ten
Isn't the real killer is the 20% fuel use at take-off?

And is there a fuel type that gives better economy?

[ Spoiler ]

Kagetenshi
Yes, the premium fuel IIRC multiplies maintenance cost and econ by 1.05.

~J
BitBasher
The fuel cost on takeoff is insane, and not used by me in my games. In real life modern Harriers can hover for better than 7 straight minutes on a fuel load, that's a LOT of takeoffs and landings. Welcome to modern day.
Austere Emancipator
It's just impossible for aircraft to use more than a certain amount of fuel per unit of time. During take-off, fuel consumption will probably be maxed out, but that's still only a minute or two of afterburning/100% thrust -- saying that takes 20% of your fuel every time is rather silly. I didn't even remember such a rule, you can be sure I'll happily ignore it in the future.
FrostyNSO
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
you can be sure I'll happily ignore it in the future.

Heh, can't say I havn't been there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012