Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Knowsoft Chips...Help
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
GaiasWrath8
OK, so with just a chip jack and a knowsoft link you can chip knowsofts. As I understand it, this would handle B/R skills, Biotech, Electronics, even computers.

If I am write so far, can it also handle social skills, Etiquete and Intimiation?

If I am wrong please tell me.
Fortune
Knowsofts are for Knowledge Skills. You need Skillwires to use Chipped Active Skills.

You don't need a Knowsoft Link with a Chipjack. They are for when you use a Datajack for Know/Datasofts.
The Jopp
Knowsoft can include everything from the history of navel contemplation to B7R thermonuclear submarines, but ONLY as knowledge skills.

Navel contemplation could for example be used as complementary dice for meditation (which could ALSO be a chipped skill, at the same time, as long as you have enough active memory.)

Etiquette skills would be for complementary dice and a basic knowledge about social etiquette within certain social circles, like for example Underworld etiquette or Magical Etiquette.
Endgame50
I'm sorry to say you've misinterpreted it slightly.

While it's quite reasonable to view all of those skills having to deal with the realm of knowledge, they're all classified as active skills. The classification of knowledge skills deals with all of the "background" (I think that would be a good term for them) skills like Magic Background, Parapsychology, etc. SR3 pg 89 deals with them in greater detail. You can use that knowsoft link to chip linguasofts though, which is really handy.
GaiasWrath8
WOW, my group has been using this totaly wronge.

damn...
Aes
Linguasofts are your friends. Knowsofts are mostly good for pretending you're someone you're not. Slot that rating 8 biotech knowsoft you grabbed in a lab a few runs back, and suddenly you'll be able to pass for a doctor (right up to the point where someone actually asks you to do surgery). Very good for infiltration.
PBTHHHHT
Don't forget the personachips in the SOTA 2064 book.
You can actually think you really ARE a surgeon... wink.gif
Fortune
Biotech is an Active Skill. The Knowledge variety would be Medicine (or Biology or Biotech Background).
Drain Brain
Yup... we're loving those Linguasofts, though a canny GM will play up the "falseness" of your dialogue - it is a mechanical translation rather than a fluid thought process as comes from learning it from a native.

Knowledge chips do come into their own as background validation, but also, I feel, for the good old complimentary stuff.

Also, for a good edge, I like to combine your chipjack (preferably multi-slot) with subdermal speakers and an image link. Look at me! I can read a book, listen to music, check a map-chip and get high all at the same time, without worrying about dropping my iPod, my book getting ruined in the rain, having my NavMan nicked or getting busted for the massive spliff hanging from my maw...

Cool, huh?
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (Drain Brain)
Cool, huh?

and throw in a persona chip so you can think you're a famous russian troll ballet dancer while you're at it.

Oh gawd, there's sign that you're in the Sixth World, Swan Lake performed by the Famous St. Petersburg Troll Ballet Troupe... Troll ballerinas prancing about the stage in tutus...
JaronK
Knowsofts are great for knowing the area you're currently in, or getting a ton of complimentary skills. Pyschology, medicine, gunsmithing... all useful.

JaronK
Aes
Indeed. Can't wait 'till I can have a datajack and some headware memory installed myself.

And yes, I meant a biotech background skill chip. Though I imagine a biotech activesoft could double as a knowsoft without the skillwires. File protocols don't seem to be much of an issue in the 2060s
Drain Brain
And since we're feeling all medical, don't underestimate the potential jollies to be gained slotting a pharmacology knowsoft and dealing M&Ms to the local punks because they think you know what you're talking about...

Samuel Jackson has a lot to answer for... wink.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (Aes)
Indeed. Can't wait 'till I can have a datajack and some headware memory installed myself.

You'll need a Knowsoft Link as well if you go the Datajack route.

And yes, I meant a biotech background skill chip. Though I imagine a biotech activesoft could double as a knowsoft without the skillwires. File protocols don't seem to be much of an issue in the 2060s

I wouldn't allow it. Activesofts are programmed in a different manner to Knowsofts.
Aes
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Aes @ Mar 4 2005, 11:35 AM)

You'll need a Knowsoft Link as well if you go the Datajack route.

I wouldn't allow it. Activesofts are programmed in a different manner to Knowsofts.

Eh, I'll settle for an MP3 processor and a pair of subdermal speakers for starters.

And I suppose that's fair enough with not allowing activesofts being slotted as knowsofts. I'll take comfort in knowing I referred to a rating 8 knowsoft in my original post and back out gracefully before someone starts yelling at us for nitpicking on one another nyahnyah.gif
Drain Brain
*Yell*

Anyhows, I'm feeling a slight premonition that MP3 may be defunct by 2064...

Now .WAV files, they're another matter wink.gif

It's a habit of mine to include in characters cyberware that makes life more functional or enjoyable. Things I would like, maybe. Like listening to Darwin's Bastards on the tube to work, or being able to clandestinely read the last chapter of that novel you've been on for months whilst pretending to listen at the weekly manager's meeting. That sort of thing.

And what I wouldn't do for a multi-chipjack at work:

1: P-Fix chip to butt-kissing customer toady
2: Map chip to lay out where everything is in the store
3: Knowsoft: Product Range for Halfords PLC, 2005
4: Slipknot's Greatest hits to block out the awful shite pumped through the audio board all day every day...

Ah, bliss........
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Aes)

Do you have to have the Active Memory installed to use one in a Chip/Data jack? I though that headware was just if you wanted to upload and have multiple items running at the same time.

More generically, do Lingua/Knowsoft chips require Active Memory or can they run from Storge or the chip they come on?
hahnsoo
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
QUOTE (Aes @ Mar 3 2005, 05:35 PM)

Do you have to have the Active Memory installed to use one in a Chip/Data jack? I though that headware was just if you wanted to upload and have multiple items running at the same time.

More generically, do Lingua/Knowsoft chips require Active Memory or can they run from Storge or the chip they come on?

Skillsofts only require memory if you want them to. They can run off of the chip, if you have either a chipjack (and skillwires for activesofts) or a knowsoft link/skillwires hooked up to a datajack. Or you can run it off your internal memory with a knowsoft link/skillwires.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012