Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Outlandish Artifacts
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Ancient History
With a careful raping of well-meaning rules, it is possible for Shadowrun to support a number of positively silly artifacts. Here's a few raw examples.

The Endless Six-Shooter
A modern remake of the classic pre-American Civil War era Navy Colt .36 caliber six-shooter, cast from a genuine iron church bell, with a hilt made from golden boar tusk. Custom-finished with silver and orichalcum arabesque-designs and half-centimeter tall runes.

Aside from being a fine firearm that many a pistol enthusiast would be happy to add to their collection, this weapon is a stacked Anchoring Focus (2) [Enhance Aim]/Specific Spell [Spiritbolt] focus (4). In addition, the focus is a Unique Enchantment with a Force 6 free fire elemental is bound within it by it's True Name. The free spirit possesses the Wealth power, which is used to make an "endless" supply of silver bullets for the gun.

The Astral Eye
Popular with groggies, especially who've lost an eye, this prosthetic resembles a glass eye, but is made of a cache of golden amber recovered from
the Black Sea, encircled by a hair-thin orichalcum wire, and engraved with a single potent rune.

The Astral Eye is a prosthetic for magicians, especially those who've lost an eye. The eye is a stacked Anchoring Focus (4) [Astral Window]/Specific Spell [Astral Window] Focus (2); allowing them to scan the astral plane more or less at will. In addition, the eye is a Unique Enchantment, with a Force 3 free watcher spirit bound within. The watcher possesses the Astral Gateway power, and can use it on the magician bonded to the Astral Eye.

Finally, the Astral Eye uses a Rune enchantment: it only functions when placed within the empty eye-socket of the magician who has bonded the focus (no Essence loss required.) The Eye can be removed with a free action, but doing so immediately de-activates the Eye.

Witchbane
Witchbane is a powerful magical binding spell, used by some secret initiatory groups as a punishment for those junior members who have transgressed the strictures of the society but who are too useful to let go; and by some lenient governments for minor offenders. Particularly malicious and old-fashioned magicians have also been known to inflict this treatment on their apprentices, to make them work harder; and some adepts and mundanes who regularly oppose spellcasters undergo the rite as well.

The Witchbane is a complex and painful ritual, involving the shaving of all body hair, and the removal of the fingernails. It takes well over sixteen hours to perform, and involves subtle tattooing of the tips of the hands (especially where the nails were removed), eyelids, lips, and crown of the head; and a series of odd, symmetrical scars on the inner arms, legs, back, and belly (the exact markings are unique for each individual, but are always of mystical signifigance and geometric in design)

The Witchbane is a Quickened Tattoo Magic Force:6 Mana Static spell; creating an effective background count around the subject which makes magic use difficult at best.

The Leyman's Compass
This appears to be an ancient brass compass, although the magnetized needle is hopelessly misaligned and swings wildly at the slightest magnetic field. Canny users know to flip up the uesless lid and reveal a modern GPS unit, pre-loaded with a complex satellite-imagery map of the British Isles; liberally annotated with a finely detailed map of the ley lines of the British Isles.

The compass is a Unique Focus, wherein is bound a Force 2 ally spirit with the Sorcery power uses its Detect Magic and Analyze Magic spells to continually scan the surroundings for ley lines and update it's map.
DocMortand
Oh, man...I dunno if I'm scared that this can be done legally, or intrigued.

Encore! More!

Is there an artifact which can change gravity to whatever you're walking on at the time?
Smiley
Why must you give these people ideas?
DocMortand
Heh, I've got a player who constantly is telling my other players "DON'T GIVE THE GM IDEAS!" because they keep bringing up hypothetical possibilities and I turn right around and implement them. *grin*

Edit: Hey, AH, what would the damage on that gun be?
Ancient History
Smiley: Who else?

For DocMortland:

AirJesus Sneakers
These stylish pumps feature a pleasing mix of kabbalistic and Christian theurgy symbols, and are said to be made from Hellcow leather filled with cockatrice down. Now featuring rims!

The AirJesus Sneaker-pumps constitute Anchoring Focus (3) [Gecko Crawl], and a Unique Enchantment containing a free Force 1 Ally Spirit with the 3-D Movement power. Featuring a runic enchantment to only activate while both shoes are worn, the user can walk on water, walls, even stride through the air itself!
Warning: Some models may contain and imp which attempts to convince the user they are the son of God; regardless of race, religion, divinity, or gender.

[/edit] Oh, probably 6M damage on the Colt...I have to check the old listings.
hobgoblin
where are the rules for binding a spirit inside a item?

and may i ask what the point of those anchors are? last time i checked you could only use the spell stored ones before it burned out (alltho in the eye's case its allso a spell focus for the same spell so its simple enough to recast it if the user knows the spell).
Mortax
QUOTE (Ancient History)
The Endless Six-Shooter

Um, now my only question is where does the gun powder come from.

Now, you could make a repeating crossbow crossbow crossbow.........

smile.gif any other munchkin fu players out there?

And I think my players may want to hurt people for giving me MORE ideas. smile.gif
Zombies and bug spirits... bwahahahaha!

Good post, by the way. (insert evil GM grin)
Dawnshadow
QUOTE (DocMortand)
Heh, I've got a player who constantly is telling my other players "DON'T GIVE THE GM IDEAS!" because they keep bringing up hypothetical possibilities and I turn right around and implement them. *grin*

Edit: Hey, AH, what would the damage on that gun be?

Everyone knows that GMs have a blend of sadism, creativity, and willingness to let players come up with their own nightmares and use them wink.gif
Backgammon
Thanks AH, the Witchbane particularly inspired me.
Mr.Cato
hmm.. yes... very nice smile.gif

I have to get more creative myself. Only thing I've managed so far is "chewing gum of healing"

...and a ring: "Ring-Ring-wide-awake" with an anchored awaken spell that wakes me up after I knock myself out.
DocMortand
QUOTE (Ancient History)
AirJesus Sneakers
These stylish pumps feature a pleasing mix of kabbalistic and Christian theurgy symbols, and are said to be made from Hellcow leather filled with cockatrice down. Now featuring rims!

The AirJesus Sneaker-pumps constitute Anchoring Focus (3) [Gecko Crawl], and a Unique Enchantment containing a free Force 1 Ally Spirit with the 3-D Movement power. Featuring a runic enchantment to only activate while both shoes are worn, the user can walk on water, walls, even stride through the air itself!
Warning: Some models may contain and imp which attempts to convince the user they are the son of God; regardless of race, religion, divinity, or gender.

[/edit] Oh, probably 6M damage on the Colt...I have to check the old listings.

Oh man...the extension on that would be the "True" AirJordans which make you levitate...

I laughed long and hard at that one. I may use it, too...vegm.gif Especially against the one player who is a conspiracy nut.

How about a bag of holding which eats everything that is stuck inside it...it's still THERE, yes, but you gotta risk amputation to get anything back out?
Smiley
I seem to recollect our primary GM and a player talking about creating a FF4 MagiTek laser by anchoring the laser spell to a rifle frame. The trick was finding a mage who's willing to take drain every time you pull the trigger...
Grimtooth
AH the astral eye is Awesome.

Sets me to thinking about ED... smile.gif
Endgame50
QUOTE (Smiley)
I seem to recollect our primary GM and a player talking about creating a FF4 MagiTek laser by anchoring the laser spell to a rifle frame. The trick was finding a mage who's willing to take drain every time you pull the trigger...

And relink it between shots >_<
DocMortand
Actually, if you bind a spirit with sorcery 6 and the spell Laser into the rifle...you might be able to do it then. Look at AH's Endless Six Shooter.
Mr.Cato
yes endgame... there is so little space within the rules to have fun.. frown.gif
Capt. Dave
Or have one anchoring foci for each shot...dear lord at the cost. sleepy.gif
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (DocMortand)
Hey, AH, what would the damage on that gun be?
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Oh, probably 6M damage on the Colt...I have to check the old listings.

Compared to modern firearms, a .36 caliber Colt is really weak. The most powerful loadings with that gun are about equal to the .380 ACP, still well below .38 Special -- and these are some of the weakest cartridges you'll find full-frame pistols and revolvers chambered for these days. We're talking kinetic energy around half that of the 9x19mm, which is the least powerful caliber found in combat handguns in the Western world, and many say even that is not powerful enough.

Back when that gun was new, it actually fired a 70gr ball at just above 700fps for 75-80ft-lbs of kinetic energy at the muzzle -- compared to 115gr at 1300fps for 431ft-lbs out of a 9x19mm. For energy, even a .22 LR will beat that kind of loading for the .36: 40gr at 1150fps = 117ft-lbs, although the .36 might still manage a larger and deeper wound cavity.

So, reasonably the Colt .36 should do 6L or less, although for the sake of having it be a worthwhile weapon you might want it to have a better Damage Code than that. Of course you could just call it a Colt Model 1848 Percussion Army Revolver ("Dragoon") instead, those were chambered in .44, firing a 135gr ball at a bit over 800fps in the original loadings, and could manage quite a bit more with modern technology. A very lenient GM might even call that a Heavy Pistol.
Fortune
QUOTE (Mortax)

From the Spirit. The Wealth Power doesn't necessarily just create the silver, it can create the entire functional bullet.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Endgame50)
QUOTE (Smiley @ Mar 4 2005, 04:08 PM)

And relink it between shots >_<

hmm, thats true, even for sr2 style anchoring. only the sustainable spells where able to the suspended and reactivated...

still, the gm could rule that if you have a combat spell in there then the mage that created it would take the drain of casting every time it was triggerd without haveing to relink.

thats realy the sadness of the anchoring ability. potentialy it can allow for creation of very potent magical items. but with the current need to relink up the behind without the nice addons that was in SR2 its just not worth it. ones a sustaining spell was triggerd from a anchor in SR2 it could be turned of again as long as the total use time had not run out. in SR3 however its just a one show item, ones used then the creator have to take time to relink the whole creation.

however complex it was, i loved the SR2 rules...
toturi
The Ass-Kickinator

This enchanted Ares Monosword is covered with an array of symbols of your choice. It is available in 3 colours, Blood Red, Pitch Black and Blue Steel. This is the magical weapon of choice for those who can appreciate the fine arts. This fine piece of art comes with a complementary sheath.

The Ass-Kickinator is a stacked Weapon 3/Power 3 foci and a Unique enchantment that provides a Background count of 10 aspected towards the person who bonds it(owner) and whoever the owner designates and a Background count of 10 against all others. If unsheathed, this background count cannot be Cleansed or Filtered or reduced in anyway. The Ass-Kickinator can only be bonded by a Virtuso.

"The Ass-Kickinator is not really a ride..."
Lindt
The ABUSE!!! But damm is it funny...

Anyone for a magical dustbuster with sterilize?
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (Lindt)
Anyone for a magical dustbuster with sterilize?

And its evil twin, who's bound free spirit uses it's Wealth power to create dust...
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (Ancient History)
The Endless Six-Shooter

Aside from being a fine firearm that many a pistol enthusiast would be happy to add to their collection, this weapon is a stacked Anchoring Focus (2) [Enhance Aim]/Specific Spell [Spiritbolt] focus (4). In addition, the focus is a Unique Enchantment with a Force 6 free fire elemental is bound within it by it's True Name. The free spirit possesses the Wealth power, which is used to make an "endless" supply of silver bullets for the gun.

This sounds like a coup weapon from Deadlands. Fun game.
Crimson Jack
Also, I don't think watchers are able to survive as free spirits according to MitS (Astral Eye).
Tanka
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Witchbane
Witchbane is a powerful magical binding spell, used by some secret initiatory groups as a punishment for those junior members who have transgressed the strictures of the society but who are too useful to let go; and by some lenient governments for minor offenders. Particularly malicious and old-fashioned magicians have also been known to inflict this treatment on their apprentices, to make them work harder; and some adepts and mundanes who regularly oppose spellcasters undergo the rite as well.

The Witchbane is a complex and painful ritual, involving the shaving of all body hair, and the removal of the fingernails. It takes well over sixteen hours to perform, and involves subtle tattooing of the tips of the hands (especially where the nails were removed), eyelids, lips, and crown of the head; and a series of odd, symmetrical scars on the inner arms, legs, back, and belly (the exact markings are unique for each individual, but are always of mystical signifigance and geometric in design)

The Witchbane is a Quickened Tattoo Magic Force:6 Mana Static spell; creating an effective background count around the subject which makes magic use difficult at best.

Ow, ow, ow, ow, owowowowowowowow.

OW!

Tattoos on skin where the fingernails have just been ripped off? GYAH!
Endgame50
QUOTE (Crimson Jack)
Also, I don't think watchers are able to survive as free spirits according to MitS (Astral Eye).

Yeah, but MITS qualifies that statement with "As far as anyone knows...", so I figured Ancient knew something we didn't. *grin*
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (Endgame50)
QUOTE (Crimson Jack @ Mar 4 2005, 10:36 PM)

Yeah, but MITS qualifies that statement with "As far as anyone knows...", so I figured Ancient knew something we didn't. *grin*

Then the next sentence states:
Ancestor spirits also do not become free spirits.

Thereby implying that they don't.

Ah, screw it. It doesn't matter anyhow. biggrin.gif
Ancient History
QUOTE (DocMortland)
Hey, AH, what would the damage on that gun be?

In "A Fist Full of Karma" in Harlequin's Back, the damage for a light revolver is 6M. Damn I'm good.

QUOTE (hobgoblin)

Magic in the Shadows, under "Unique Enchantments."

QUOTE (hobgoblin)
and may i ask what the point of those anchors are?

Well, you could use a sustaining focus, but the general point of an Anchoring Focus (especially a reusable anchoring focus, as I should have stated) is to be able to turn a spell on-and-off without breaking it; or to trigger a "held" spell. A reusable focus need not be re-bonded every time it's reloaded.

QUOTE (Crimson Jack)
Also, I don't think watchers are able to survive as free spirits according to MitS

Well, it used to be you could have free watcher spirits...loa achete f'instance. Oh well. You could use any spirit, really. A specter would be kinda creepy though.

QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Mortax @ Mar 5 2005, 07:33 AM)

From the Spirit. The Wealth Power doesn't necessarily just create the silver, it can create the entire functional bullet.

Right. Hell, if the Wealth power can create gold, jewels, expensive carpets and even allow orichalcum to be taken from an Alchera; I think a few bullets should be acceptable.

Crimson Jack
QUOTE (Ancient History)
QUOTE (Crimson Jack)
Also, I don't think watchers are able to survive as free spirits according to MitS

Well, it used to be you could have free watcher spirits...loa achete f'instance. Oh well. You could use any spirit, really. A specter would be kinda creepy though.

Indeed it would. And probably more likely the type.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Ancient History)
QUOTE (hobgoblin)

Magic in the Shadows, under "Unique Enchantments."

QUOTE (hobgoblin)
and may i ask what the point of those anchors are?

Well, you could use a sustaining focus, but the general point of an Anchoring Focus (especially a reusable anchoring focus, as I should have stated) is to be able to turn a spell on-and-off without breaking it; or to trigger a "held" spell. A reusable focus need not be re-bonded every time it's reloaded.

firstly thanks for the info about unique enchantments, must have skipped that part as it sounded to similar to the mone in grimoire.

but i still wonder about that anchor thing tho as i dont recall the mits text saying that you could toggle a spell (more then ones that is), after its turned off you have to relink from what i recall. sure this means you can do stuff like link the gun (to use the six-shooter), activate when needed, and then turn it of and relink when the fight is over so as to not waste a complex action casting the spell in combat. it only takes a simple action, or free action if your the creator, to activate the item IIRC.

well maybe i answerd my own question there nyahnyah.gif
DocMortand
Hey AH - I know it's presumptive to ask methods of a magician, but for the rest of us to try to create evil evil items on our own, can you describe exactly how you went about creating one of the items? Say the Gun or the Eye.

Puhweeze?
Endgame50
QUOTE (DocMortand)
Hey AH - I know it's presumptive to ask methods of a magician, but for the rest of us to try to create evil evil items on our own, can you describe exactly how you went about creating one of the items? Say the Gun or the Eye.

Puhweeze?

He'll need a material link first. SOP, you understand.
Ancient History
Sure thing, DocMortland.

Step 1: Concept
Consider what you want to make. Popular fantasy fiction, comic books, etc. are all fantastic. Let's say we want to make Thor's Hammer.

Step 2: Codify
What is Thor's Hammer? Well, lessee...it's a magical weapon, throw lightning bolts, and it can control storms. Only the worthy can lift it. We could go on from there, but no need to go whole-hog (yet.)

Step 3: Build
Okay, as a magical weapon, Thor's Hammer is a weapon focus. What Force? Well, it's a pretty powerful artifact! Let's say Force 8. (Weak: 1-2, Average: 3-4, Strong: 5-6, Powerful: 7-8; etc.)

Now, we want it to cast lightning bolts...how are we going to do that? A sustaining focus wouldn't work, but a reusable anchoring focus would. Maybe we should just use a Specific Spell Focus and make lightning bolts easier to cast? Hmm. Let's hold on here for the moment.

Now, how the heck are we going to control the storm? Well, some Great Form spirits have the Storm power. That would work. Let's look at different spirits for a moment. <flip, flip> Well hey! A Great Form Spirit of Shango has the Storm power, and the Innate spell (Lightning Bolt) power to boot!

We decide on a Force (let's say 8, to match the Weapon Focus.) Now, we add that Thor's Hammer contains a Unique Enchantment: a free Great Form Spirit of Shango has been bound within with its True name.

Finally, we add a Rune Enchantment: only those who are worthy may lift (and use) the hammer. Let's say that "Worthy" equates to a total Willpower and Strength of at least 12 when added together.

Step 4: Fine Details
Basically, describe the focus, adding in some unusual materials.
Thor's Hammer is no smithy's tool, but a massive war-hammer. The head dwarfs that of a sledge hammer, and is formed from alchemically refined and radicalized meteoric iron, tempered in dragon spittle and etched with an ancient rune representing Yggsdrsl, the World Tree. The handle is short and thick, barely over a foot long, and wrapped tight about with thick leather. Truly a weapon fit for a troll of thunder!

Step 5: When the PC Wants To Build It
Now, you let the PC figure out how to build it.
For starters, they need the True Name of an appropriate free spirit.
Then, they need a few ranks in Rune Lore.
Now, they can design a Focus Formula, incorporating the True Name to create a unique enchantment.
After that, they run around collecting the raw materials, including exotic materials like radical meteoric iron and dragon spittle.
Now, they forge the hammer and enchant it.
Finally, they need to summon and bind the Free Spirit within the hammer.

Now they have a new toy. See, whasn't that easy?
DocMortand
*pledges his immortal soul to the great Ancient History*

Happy?

[Edit] I pledge and AH delivers! sweeeeeet
Ancient History
<snag> That'll do.
Edward
Well most of those use unique enchantments so the items are not so much allowed as there is a mechanism for asking your GM’s permission to have them. Unique enchantments give the GM the right to say no.

And why do you need a force 6 spirit. A force 1 spirit should be able to create more sliver bullets than you could ever need.

Edward
Critias
Combat Boots of Elvenkind

Standard-issue Tir Tairngire or Tir na nOg combat boots, lovingly shined and polished, laced up good and tight, and anchoring a Silence: 4 spell. Voila.
DocMortand
I'm not sure if the title "Combat Boots of Elvenkind" is an oxymoron, a joke, or something from Munchkin. *grin*

Although I would love to see what somebody would do with the "+3 Boots of Butt-Kicking" or the "Boots of Running Away Really Fast"

Of course, you could always go with Pratchett's ideas, and build the psychopathic Luggage or the 7-league boots...

Hmm...anyone want to give the Luggage a try? *grin*
Arethusa
+4 Longsword of Whoopswronggame
Handed down by the goddess, Mystra, to her chosen protectors, prophets, and warriors, this sword confers a +4 "bonus" to every roll. Unfortunately, for you, Mystra's kind of into the tough love thing, these days.
FrostyNSO
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Finally, we add a Rune Enchantment: only those who are worthy may lift (and use) the hammer. Let's say that "Worthy" equates to a total Willpower and Strength of at least 12 when added together.

Oh cool, so it was built for most shadowrunning trolls then grinbig.gif

p.s. Now is that natural or cybered attributes??? cool.gif
hahnsoo
QUOTE (DocMortand @ Mar 5 2005, 03:06 AM)

It's simply a Protean that can't alter its form from the "luggage" form. smile.gif
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Ancient History)
In "A Fist Full of Karma" in Harlequin's Back, the damage for a light revolver is 6M. Damn I'm good.

Can't argue with that...
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Right. Hell, if the Wealth power can create gold, jewels, expensive carpets and even allow orichalcum to be taken from an Alchera; I think a few bullets should be acceptable.

I think the confusion spawns from the fact that the word "bullet" only actually refers to the projectile which exits the muzzle to do its thing. The whole thing, with the case, propellant, primer and bullet (and anything else) is a cartridge. I very much agree, though, that the Wealth power should be capable of creating stuff like that, if only because I want to use it for similar things in my own games. wink.gif
Ancient History
QUOTE (Edward)
Well most of those use unique enchantments so the items are not so much allowed as there is a mechanism for asking your GM’s permission to have them. Unique enchantments give the GM the right to say no.

Nope. No "mechanism." A unique enchantment is primarily a GM's tool, an open-ended use of Enchanting for whatever purpose the GM needs it to serve...but building a focus to house or bind a free spirit with it's True Name has been on the books forever. You don't have to ask the GM's permission. He can still tell you it failed, but that's a different can of worms.

QUOTE (Edward)
And why do you need a force 6 spirit. A force 1 spirit should be able to create more sliver bullets than you could ever need.

At Force: 6 and Spirit Energy: 1, the spirit can produce 1d6 x 6,000 nuyen.gif worth of silver bullets per month. Which should be more than sufficient to cover:
a) trigger-happy characters
b) people who bitch about the price of silver bullets

Totally a CYA measure.
Crimson Jack
AH,

What about the ability of Thor's Hammer to be used as a thrown weapon and return to the thrower upon success or failure of toss? Similar to Silver Surfer's "to me, my board" line command.
Ancient History
Hey, y'all can add whatever abilities you like to it...I was sticking with the basics.
For thrown'n'return? I dunno...maybe make the hammer the material form of an ally spirit with the 3-D movement power.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Hey, y'all can add whatever abilities you like to it...I was sticking with the basics.
For thrown'n'return? I dunno...maybe make the hammer the material form of an ally spirit with the 3-D movement power.

Heck, just an anchored "Use Skill: Retrieve Hammer" (or Magic Fingers or Levitate) spell would do the trick.
DrJest
Kind of reminds me of that provision in Dunkelzahn's will for creating a magical item useable by anyone...
Aes
Well, technically these items are either powered byspirits or - in the case of the tattoo magic - entirely at the whim and power of the mage who originally created them. So they don't really fulfill those specs.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
QUOTE (DocMortand @ Mar 5 2005, 03:06 AM)

It's simply a Protean that can't alter its form from the "luggage" form. smile.gif

or how about using a ally (or maybe free?) spirit with inhabiting power inside a luggage shaped homunculs. given that any unique enchantment needs the gms approval i dont see the problem nyahnyah.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012