Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quick obvious question...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
ShadowGhost
OK radius of an area effect spell (specifically illusions spells) is simply the caster's magic rating, in meters? Force of the spell has no effect on the size/radius?

I'm looking at pg 181, and 195... for some reason I thought it was force of the spell, up to the magic rating of the caster.

So even force 1 area effect spells are 6 meters in radius? (assuming a magic of 6, and not withholding dice to increase/decrease size)?

And a force 12 fireball is still only 6 meters in radius? (assuming a magic of 6, and not withholding dice to increase/decrease size)
Endgame50
AFAIK, that's right. Though I would hope someone casting a force 12 fireball had initiated a few times, thus increasing their magic attribute.
ShadowGhost
QUOTE (Endgame50 @ Mar 4 2005, 08:53 PM)
AFAIK, that's right. Though I would hope someone casting a force 12 fireball had initiated a few times, thus increasing their magic attribute.

Either that, or they just blew their nuts off taking Physical Drain eek.gif
Jrayjoker
AFAIK you are completly accurate in your assessment.
Apathy
Things that increase virtual magic rating (power foci, ally spirit, etc.) increase spell radius as well, right?

So if I had a force 3 ally aiding me, and an activated force 3 power focus, my magic 6 mage would cast 12m fireballs?
Endgame50
Power focus entry says it increases magic attribute by its force for the purposes of determining drain and determining the maximum spirit force you can summon. You can also use the bonus dice, but that's not relevant to this discussion smile.gif
ShadowGhost
I'm not sure about the spirit ally, but Power Foci only "increases your Magic Attribute by its own Force
for purposes of determining whether or not Drain does stun or physical and stun damage, as well as for determining the maximum spirit Force that can be summoned."

"You may also use a power focus’s Force dice for Sorcery, Conjuring, or Drain Resistance Tests. Power foci dice may be used for Spell Defense."

Quotes are from SR3 page 190.

So no, Power Foci do not increase the radius of a spell beyond your natural Magic Attribute.
JaronK
So really, for fireball, magic rating determines radius, while force determines power. Simple enough.

JaronK
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012