Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NASA World Wind
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
spotlite
I dunno if you guys have seen this yet but check this out, for all your sat map needs:

http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/index.html

I warn you, its a hefty 174 meg download, and you'll need MS netruntime, but its well worth it if you've got the band width. It downloads higher res maps as you zoom in on the globe, has before and after shots of natural disasters, climate maps, topography, unbeleiveable urban maps, at least over the US, and pretty good ones everywhere else, its.. lovely.

BUT, if the download servers are busy when you're looking at maps (and they tend to be, its very popular) it may take a long time to get the resolution map you want. I'm currently zooming in on Seattle, New Orleans and Denver for my campaigns ready for viewing on game night if need be. Its a nice prop, and will allow your team decker something to do if you're plotting routes and stuff, cos you can select different satellite feeds (not live, obviously) to get different types of images.

Oh, and I know 2060s cities will look different, but the Seattle area looks pretty much the same size as the sprawl is supposed to be, and its also pretty much all urbanised already, which as a Brit, I hadn't realised. Well, well worth it.
Capt. Dave
I just took this baby out for a test drive, and...I feel a little like God. This thing is incredible! love.gif Thank you so much for the link!
Smiley
Oooooohhhh... eek.gif
Chance359
Wow, just F****** Wow
spotlite
Bumping it to the top for those that missed it. Cheeky, and I won't do it again, but its too cool to miss really...
mmu1
I was kind of annoyed that they didn't have the .25m /pixel images of NYC, the 1m resolution black and white ones are decent but I've seen them before.

Is there a list anywhere of the cities they do have covered in .25m resolution? (besides DC)
Demonseed Elite
Now how cool would it be if someone figured out a way to tinker with the program to change the nation boundaries to Shadowrun circa-2064 boundaries? biggrin.gif
Aes
And give sections of the world a nice, green day-glo treatment?
Sokei
Anyone else having the occasional white sqaures in the place of the actual maps with this program . aside from the occasional glitch, its great. I pulled up the tacoma bridge my team is working on this run and the photos looked perfect.
Nikoli
I'd imagine some spots are simply not included because something there is considered classified or in some way important to national security.
Bigity
Nice.
Capt. Dave
QUOTE (mmu1)

Is there a list anywhere of the cities they do have covered in .25m resolution? (besides DC)

Go to "Help" in WW's menu bar, go to the web site and check the FAQ. Their FAQ is pretty useful.

As for the whited out spots, from reading the instructions/FAQ, it seemed that was "an issue with budget video cards", but they supposedly fixed it.
spotlite
I noticed the white spots. Given they seemed to correspond perfectly with Everett naval docks and Fort lewis in the Seattle area (which is where I was looking - I've been playing this game too long. I can spot the estuary from space...), I just kind of assumed the old 'classified' explanation. My video card is definitely not at fault, I can tell you that much.

SO cool.

Oh, and:

I was kind of annoyed that they didn't have the .25m /pixel images of NYC, the 1m resolution black and white ones are decent but I've seen them before.

some people are NEVER satisfied.... What, 1 meter resolution of most cities in North America isn't good enough for you? I can't even get it down to the point where I can see the streets when over most of England. Honestly. Don't know when they've got it good, some people... biggrin.gif
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Nikoli)
I'd imagine some spots are simply not included because something there is considered classified or in some way important to national security.

If so, it's oddly applied. I can think of one thing I've found so far that should be under a white-out square that isn't.
hahnsoo
I can see my house from here! And your house, and your house, and...

Very cool program.
torzzzzz
Talking about cool maps of things, has anyone seen the hubble site? you can get some unbelievable pictures of the planets, galaxes and other cool space related stuff, check it out !

torz x wobble.gif
Sokei
QUOTE (Nikoli @ Mar 8 2005, 02:58 PM)

half the state of iowa isnt classified, heh . i was trying to figure out how up to date the photos are by checking out the construction around this area, but alas white blocks. not a big deal they seem to go away every once in a while.

*edit* it appears to only happen with one type of map, the usgs urban area map type.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Sokei)
half the state of iowa isnt classified

it appears to only happen with one type of map, the usgs urban area map type.

Yeah. Iowa isn't exactly the paragon of urbanness, don'tchaknow.
Nikoli
So wicked, my wife even likes this software. definitely very cool. I am such a nerd, I looked up the co-ord for my new house and plugged them in.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012