Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New in Town
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Weredigo
So my group of players have made it safely out of Seattle far away from the Clutches of Aztechnology after thier ordeal with the DNA/DOA adventure, yet it's like in the movie Toy Story 2 with the kids toys walking around the big toystore, not only do things look different, they are different. They are in Tir Tairngire, I've got the source book and have studied it but doesn't help much. They are completely on thier own and have no contacts, fixer, or "crash pad". What suggestions are out there for helping them acquire these necessities so this campaign isn't brough to a screeching halt by sudden imprisonment due to a minor slip up or worse. How would one go about contacting the shadow community in the Tir, finding a place to sleep and shower that doesn't ask too many incriminating questions, and what kind of contacts will be able to help them be successfull yet not let them get too overpowerfull.

[off topic comment: I'm also extremely happy today as one of my poems has won an award, yay me.]

and now back to the irregularly scheduled begging of advice.
Kagetenshi
Colour me suitably impressed that you chose someplace in which it does indeed make canonical sense that Aztechnology would have some sort of difficulty finding them.

That being said, what year was your campaign again? I'm afraid I can't think of too many ways for people without an insider to stay on the right side of the law (at least apparently) in the Tir.

~J
Weredigo
Erring on side of caution I've set my game somewhere between 2065-75 so I don't step on too many peoples toes due to certain technological advancements.

Colour me suitably impressed that you chose someplace in which it does indeed make canonical sense that Aztechnology would have some sort of difficulty finding them.

yeah I'm not so great with the technical jargon stuff, or the number rules type stuff but I've got the socio/political stuff down pat.
Prospero
If things are happening around the current time-frame (2063+) then they can hook up with a Rinelle cell, perhaps repaying debts incurred by doing jobs for the rebels? Nothing Rinelle could want more than decently skilled deniable operatives. It might not even be all that hard (comparatively) to get in touch with Rinelle - just hit the slums in one of the bigger cities - Boise might be the best, with all the smuggling going on. And there, if they look like they're too hot, they just might be able to slip over the border into the SSC.

If you're playing before the 2060s... might be a bit tougher.

Edit: looks like you beat me to the post. So if its 2065+, go with the Rinelle idea.
hahnsoo
Well, the characters could make contacts with the Rinelle (the Tir resistance). One good option is to take one of your team's contacts with you, as someone (Aztechnology, in this case) is likely to start hunting your team's friends if they can't get to your team. So maybe a fixer has some contacts with the Tir and decides to pick up shop and set up in the Tir instead (especially if said fixer is an elf). Or maybe a friend of a friend (someone who knew a now-dead contact) was asked to look in on you guys and is helping you out as a favor.
FrostyNSO
Well, how did they meet people in Seattle?

A good place to start is the slums. If there is any good gang activity, the right cred or right favor could quickly hook them up with some players in the Tir shadow community. If the less social characters need some quick cred, they could try and get on with some construction crews as cheap manual labor while the face works on finding some hookups. Also, listen to rumors going down in the local slummy pubs, and always remember the bartenders hear a lot of good stuff everyday. For the right cred they may part willingly with what they've heard.
DrJest
2nd Ed disclaimer

Etiquette skills still work outside of your usual area of operation, just at a +2 TN penalty, iirc. From a sheer number-crunching point of view, a few Street Etiquette tests should give you an idea of how the runners are slotting into the local shadows.
Weredigo

Rinelle could want more than decently skilled deniable operatives. It might not even be all that hard (comparatively) to get in touch with Rinelle - just hit the slums in one of the bigger cities

definitely doable.
(Aztechnology, in this case) is likely to start hunting your team's friends

no freinds for them to worry about.
Etiquette skills still work outside of your usual area of operation

duly noted and voted, one thing I see as being one of thier major hindrances will be that although their Street Ett is all good and unaffected they really won't have any clue how to act around Elven Royalty, or be able to spot an "officer of the law" in uniform out of a crowd. There's a lot of difference between dealing with people, and working with an intimate knowledge of traditions. I see a lot of Charisma checks in the future for the next few game sessions or so.
UpSyndrome
If you happen to have the module corporate punishment, one of the runs takes the PCs to Portland, and you could likely use NPCs and stuff from there. I remember a couple of orc brothers who got the PCs weapons and stuff.

-Joe
DrJest
I'd be prepared to good-naturedly argue that the PC's would still spot a uniformed beat op in a crowd. Cops are cops, and the uniforms tend to make them look like what they are. The Elven Royalty thing could be good for a laugh; I could see the runners defaulting to treating them like simsense stars...
Critias
That, and Peace Force guys tend to wear fairly heavy and obvious armor, and flash fairly large guns more often than not. I will awaken a sleeping dragon if I try to tip-toe into my room for a book right now, but I think the default gear for a Peace Force urban patrol is light sec armor and an smg.

It's a "uniform" in the same way a SWAT guy's work clothes are a "uniform."
DrJest
*tch* those crazy, floofy elves...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012