Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NERPS from other sources
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Dog
Avoiding gear, NPC's and other stuff covered elswhere, what are some of the NERPS type stuff that you've introduced from other fiction? Bands, pop-culture, household products, clothes is what I'm thinking about.

My campaign has Mooks from Bruce Sterling's "Bicycle Repairman". And although I didn't change the name, stuffer shacks in my game are a direct rip off of the Patron Saint's Lucky Dragon stores.
RangerJoe
Every now and then, my players will be made a deal where the currency involved is Kong bucks (from Snow Crash)-- a paper form of money that is as good as gold in certain Chinatown communities.

My players also have come to grips with SoyaFizz. It's made of people. People. Tell the world. Yeah, whatever. I like the grape flavor.
DocMortand
QUOTE (RangerJoe)
My players also have come to grips with SoyaFizz. It's made of people. People. Tell the world. Yeah, whatever. I like the grape flavor.

There has GOTTA be a story behind that.
FrostyNSO
The hot food in our campaigns are microwavable "El Machaca" burritos. Often these are used for currency in some of the city's worse-off squats.
RangerJoe
There has GOTTA be a story behind that.

[ Spoiler ]
Aku
QUOTE (RangerJoe)
The data file did have one conspiracy theory missing, though. In all the hundreds of MP, not a single word was ever mentioned about extraterrestrials.

although, atleast for the decker, this is approriate, as he had at that point, met the aliens, therefore, there was no cnspiricy theory to be had, they were real....
DocMortand
*blinks* wow...makes my campaign seem tame. *chuckle* Was there a lot of jokes about "My Pretty Pony?"

Heh...very cool story tho, thanks for explaining.
BookWyrm
QUOTE (Dog)
My campaign has Mooks from Bruce Sterling's "Bicycle Repairman".

"Bicycle Repairman" by Bruce Sterling? I'm unfamiliar with that story.
Adam
The first hit on a braindead easy google search ["Bruce Sterling" bicycle] brings up the info that Bicycle Repairman was a 1997 Hugo Award winning short story.

http://www.sfsite.com/02b/gf122.htm for a review of the book it's in.
BookWyrm
Ah, I see it. Thanks, Adam biggrin.gif
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (DocMortand @ Mar 6 2005, 10:05 PM)
*blinks* wow...makes my campaign seem tame.  *chuckle*  Was there a lot of jokes about "My Pretty Pony?"

Heh...very cool story tho, thanks for explaining.

About as many as there were of My Little Pony, I'm sure.

Jeez, I can't imagine how someone could say with a straight face that their totem appeared to them as Princess Sparkle, but oddly enough I can imagine someone saying it (if for no other reason than to be a smartass).
hahnsoo
The most popular stuffed animal in our game world is always the "Tickle Me Dunkelzahn", with its sister dragon-pets "Hug Me Hestaby" "Squeeze Me Masaru" and "Love Me Lofwyr". There was one run where our runners smuggled a heavy pistol in a sensor-shielded version of "Tickle Me Dunkelzahn" to a corporate Christmas party.
Weredigo
Slang, like "to Grok". a few names of Bars examples "Bloody Bills (Eddies, Jacks, Bobs, Danny's) named after demise of owner and is a family business" " The Squirrely Epicure" will explain that one much later "The Disco is Dead Cafe" also there are quite a few NPC's taken straight out of fiction, Smuggler by name of Friday, Fixer by name of Jimmy DiGriz, a Pair of Street Dealers by name of Jay and Bob, and a Poet by name of Martin Silenus... uhm correction a MAD POET. just to name a few things that flavor the game a little.
DocMortand
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
The most popular stuffed animal in our game world is always the "Tickle Me Dunkelzahn", with its sister dragon-pets "Hug Me Hestaby" "Squeeze Me Masaru" and "Love Me Lofwyr". There was one run where our runners smuggled a heavy pistol in a sensor-shielded version of "Tickle Me Dunkelzahn" to a corporate Christmas party.

So the newest one would be "Grope Me Ghostwalker"?
hahnsoo
QUOTE (DocMortand)
So the newest one would be "Grope Me Ghostwalker"?

*in high pitched squeaky voice* No, silly. Giggle Me Ghostwalker! Tee hee! biggrin.gif
Crimsondude 2.0
One of my characters hates those plush Dunk dolls.
Critias
Only one?
DocMortand
Heh are those dolls canon? If so, where did they appear?
Critias
I'm pretty sure the plush Dunkie ones are canon. I know there's plushy dolls available of the Sasquatch Tir Prince in canon -- I can see more stuffed animals of non-human NPCs (those in the world's eye, at least) fitting in just as well.
Fortune
QUOTE (DocMortand)

Way back. I'm thinking somewhere around Shadowbeat.
lodestar
Personally I'm waiting to see if they come out with the plush "Fortune" doll. wink.gif

I of course will be more of an "action figure" biggrin.gif

With swivel arm battle grip!
Dog
DocM, I think they mentioned the plush doll in Super Teusday.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Critias)
Only one?

Well, it's only really come up with one.
Fortune
QUOTE (lodestar)
Personally I'm waiting to see if they come out with the plush "Fortune" doll.

Do you think they'll call it "F*ck Me Fortune"? biggrin.gif
FrostyNSO
Forget that, I want my Hatchetman plushie!

"Just squeeze Hatchetman and he randomly babbles!"
hahnsoo
QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
Forget that, I want my Hatchetman plushie!

"Just squeeze Hatchetman and he randomly babbles!"

Actually, he has a string with a ring behind his back that you pull and get phrases like:
"My eyes feel cold in the morning..."
"Listen up, you drek-for-brains chummers..."
"Matador was so cool..."
Weredigo
QUOTE (DocMortand)

Way back. I'm thinking somewhere around Shadowbeat.

Confirmed, saw in same source. want me to find page number?
DocMortand
Yeah sure...

I know the whole "Grope Me Ghostwalker" thing was first inspired by a comedy bit I saw once about "Fondle Me Elmo" replacing "Tickle Me Elmo".

*chuckle* Actually WAYYY back when I was 4 my family took me to Disneyworld and they had those Figment stuffed animals (thing big pink dragon). I wonder if they're still around, and whether Figment was inspired by a real dragon (and if so - which one?)
hahnsoo
QUOTE (DocMortand)
*chuckle* Actually WAYYY back when I was 4 my family took me to Disneyworld and they had those Figment stuffed animals (thing big pink dragon). I wonder if they're still around, and whether Figment was inspired by a real dragon (and if so - which one?)

I have one of those sitting in my parent's house. He's a de novo character created as the host for the "Imagination" center at EPCOT. I don't think he's based on any "real" myths.
Garland
QUOTE (DocMortand)

Figment is still around. They revamped his section of EPCOT, and his image. He's no longer wearing the shirt with his name on it.
DocMortand
Can you just imagine the Disney people stumbling upon a slumbering Dunkie and got the idea for Figment from Dunk? *laugh*
Herald of Verjigorm
Nah, someone accidentally got a negative of a photo of Lofwyr mixed in with some vacation photos (it wasn't the best 1 hour photo lab).
TeOdio
Here are some of my Nerps.
Az-Mart: What happens when Aztechnology buys out WalMart? Pisses off the Texans even more.
Jukie Cola: Got this way back from an old Sprite commercial I think. "I drank thousands of Jukie colas and I got this cool jukie Sock!"
Wu-Jen's House of Pain ™: Where Runners go to get the finest Martial Arts training. Stole the idea from my buddy's Mechwarrior campaign he ran a decade or so ago. I keep it mystical with the fact that:
1. No matter where the local House of Pain is, it is always ran by Wu-Jen.
2. No matter how good you are, Wu-Jen will always be better.
It leads to some funny OOC discussions on who or what Wu-Jen really is.
nuyen.gif nuyen.gif nuyen.gif
hahnsoo
QUOTE (TeOdio)
Here are some of my Nerps.
Az-Mart: What happens when Aztechnology buys out WalMart? Pisses off the Texans even more.

In our game, we've retconned the world so that Aztechnology IS Wal-Mart. Damn, they are evil (Wal-Mart, not the Azzies). smile.gif
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (TeOdio)
Az-Mart: What happens when Aztechnology buys out WalMart?

Stuffer Shack is born.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012